Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    My sister in law once justified trading in an accord on a Volvo because the wiper blades needed replacing and tape deck heads needed cleaning

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    stickguy said:

My sister in law once justified trading in an accord on a Volvo because the wiper blades needed replacing and tape deck heads needed cleaning

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    For some reason, I kind of like this. Just needs to be a couple grand cheaper. Would actually work for my needs. Only 1yo so lots of warranty, and I don't put a lot of miles on.

http://www.jsautohaus.net/used/Buick/2017-Buick-Verano-8721db6e0a0e08bb5da7b5e54ce9fdd0.htm

• Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616

@sb55 ....I’ll have to remember your reasoning the next time I get the “itch” for something new and try to justify it in my own mind.

BTW....Love the new Chevy Trucks. Big (and I do mean BIG with 20” wheels) congrats. Looking forward to pics.

Ha Ha. I actually had been looking for about a month. But, the broken mirror is what brought us to this particular dealer (who was really nasty in the past). I wanted to upgrade to a truck specifically with the "Max tow" package since we are upgrading to a larger Airstream. The max tow package is actually pretty rare and this was the only one on the lot of about 100 units. The old truck would have been near to it's limit. The new truck should have a much better capacity and is heavier duty, but not as heavy as the 2500 version which really is overkill and rides like a "truck".

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options
    another milestone today. Made the final payment on the Sonata today so I have ~34 more days to use up. Since I paid for them, no reason to give it back early at this point. Would save a few $$ in insurance, but not as much as the cost of a replacement car. So paid off, and I had the inspection signing off on no extra charges. So just need to drop it at the dealership by the 8th of November. Then I have 60 days to get another Hyundai product to avoid paying the disposition fee bill

• Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    edited October 2017
    kyfdx said:

making note: ask wife to back my car into the garage. repeatedly, if necessary

That's out of the garage, not in. Of course, (according to my wife) it was partly my fault since I pulled the truck in "crooked" (No I didn't). She could have driven to yoga in the Miata that day, which has a lot more room to spare backing out! But she lost one Miata key the day before and felt bad to drive it with only 1 key. Is that good or bad? Lost key, bad. New truck, good!?!

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    sb55 said:

kyfdx said:

making note: ask wife to back my car into the garage. repeatedly, if necessary

That's out of the garage, not in. Of course, (according to my wife) it was partly my fault since I pulled the truck in "crooked" (No I didn't). She could have driven to yoga in the Miata that day, which has a lot more room to spare backing out! But she lost one Miata key the day before and felt bad to drive it with only 1 key. Is that good or bad? Lost key, bad. New truck, good!?!

Maybe you could start up a new mantra! "Careless wife, happy life!"

Don't let her read that, though. I don't want to get you in trouble.... :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    stickguy said:

Now HERE---that makes perfect sense. :p
  • Options
    rny421rny421 Member Posts: 160
    stickguy said:

For some reason, I kind of like this. Just needs to be a couple grand cheaper. Would actually work for my needs. Only 1yo so lots of warranty, and I don't put a lot of miles on.

http://www.jsautohaus.net/used/Buick/2017-Buick-Verano-8721db6e0a0e08bb5da7b5e54ce9fdd0.htm

We had a Verano as a rental in Florida. Both my wife and myself were surprised! Nice riding car, and quiet. Decent gas mileage too.

They didn't sell real well, so you should be able to get a used one pretty cheap. Same with the Buick Regal.

If you really want a unicorn, look for the 6-speed Buick Verano! 250hp/250tq.
    2017 Mercedes GLC300 | 2021 Audi E-Tron
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    I never cared for the Verano's styling but they seemed to be good cars, consistently beating the Acura ILX in reviews, which must mean it is vastly superior considering the bias of the automotive press. :D

I was surprised when Buick decided not to continue with a new version of it.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    While at the Kia store picking up a Sportage in for repair, went past the new car storage area and saw the new 2018 Forte and Rio. Both look pretty nice with the Rio getting the more distinctive changes to the front and rear. I think they have evolved nicely and anyone in the market for a sub-compact or compact vehicle would be foolish not to look at both of these. Maybe not as popular as the Corolla or the Civic, the Forte comes with more features standard and drives very smoothly. Like the Rio better than the Fit actually and hoping the folks at Kia added some decent wheel/tire packages this time.
    Hyundai/Kia remind me of Toyota and Honda in their glory days when they could do no wrong and were producing vehicles people actually wanted to buy. Think Hyundai/Kia are at that same point where their products are no longer penalty boxes. Nice that they are finally giving the other big boys a run for the money now. I know the other half was going to get a Forte if the deal on the A3 fell through and would've saved about $7500 or more on the deal. And honestly, for a person who still sees her Audi as an appliance, she would've been just as happy in the Kia. And in a few years, who knows as I think she's not willing to spend much over $20K on her next ride. Nothing wrong with "cheap to keep" which they definitely are!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,987
    The Verano was very nice for all the reasons stated. I drove a leather/sunroof/nav/Bose equipped certified with 11k before I bought the Accord. I liked it yet the backseat room was laughable which was also a problem with the then current Cruze from which it was based.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I saw a new red Forte the other day and thought it looked pretty sharp.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    I test drove a Forte before getting the Jetta 2 years ago. It was actually not bad at all. Certainly a contender. One issue for me is I am not at all fond of either of my local Kia dealers. One I flat out refuse to ever set foot in.

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Drove a '17 VW Tiguan today and loved the 2.0T engine. No turbo lag at all and it pulled with decent power, none of the turbo lag that my 1.8T engine has. Was quite enjoyable to be honest and now know this is what I should've gotten way back at the end of 2013 when I settled for a Hyundai Tuscon. Not that the Tuscon was a bad vehicle, it just was the wrong one for me at the time since the Tiguan was what I really wanted all along! The high price tag scared me off at the time and also the dismal mpg's didn't help either. Was just a real eye opener today when I first hit the accelerator and it felt like home behind the wheel. I now realize that the only con about my Golf is that slight turbo lag I feel when taking off from a stop if the tranny is in "D" mode. In "S" mode, it's barely noticeable but need to remember to move the shifter into "S" mode from a stop which is the issue as sometimes, I just forget. Having the 2.0T engine would solve that issue but the heavier Tiguan has the mileage penalty along with it.
    So, bottom line here is I just need to remember to go from "D" to "S" from each stop and all will be well. Just wondering if the engine in a Golf GTI would negate me having to move the shifter at all? Doesn't the GTI have a 2.0T engine and a different auto tranny? Need to test drive a GTI and see if there is indeed a difference in the way they both drive as I never took one before and looking back, that could've been a mistake. That's why next time, going to try everything that I'm interested in to make sure I get the right vehicle!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    the GTI has a higher output version of the 2.0t in the Tiguan, and a DSG gearbox, so drives quite a bit differently, but is very fast.

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    I know that, for a while, they offered the Regal with a manual transmission as well. I cannot recall, though, if you could get both the MT and AWD together. Anyone know?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    not sure, but a guy in my neighborhood has a turbo regal stick shift.

• Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @stickguy nice car posted above would go and give it an test drive y not! and nice so one munth left nice nice. would go and drive drive that car around a lot to put sum miles on it in the next munth!
  • Options
    @sandman_6472 yes ould do the same thing! drive every thing I was interested in before getting sumthing!
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Sold my snow tires from the BMW 4-series via craigslist today. The buyer pulls up in an Outback XT (2005ish?). I compliment him on his wagon, and he adds that it's a manual trannie. :o

Quite the unicorn - he bought it used, after an extensive search.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    I think the Regals with AWD were automatic only. 
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    Correct.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    edited October 2017
    stickguy said:
    Price is way off. It would be a $10k car max; however, autocheck is telling me there is an odometer problem. No details beyond that. Might just be that small discrepancy on carfax where it appears a tech transposed some numbers.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Interesting on the autocheck. And I was figuring if clean and maybe be 10-11k, could be a good option.

• Options
    rny421rny421 Member Posts: 160
    @stickguy - I prefer the slightly redesigned 2014+ Buick Regals - mostly for the interior.
    Something like this seems to be a bargain at $12k
    2017 Mercedes GLC300 | 2021 Audi E-Tron
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited October 2017
    ab348 said:

I never cared for the Verano's styling but they seemed to be good cars, consistently beating the Acura ILX in reviews, which must mean it is vastly superior considering the bias of the automotive press. :D

I was surprised when Buick decided not to continue with a new version of it.

Meh! Acura has had a hard time lately with cars, and the ILX was their dud for awhile.

I would take an unmolested RSX- Type S or R with low mileage over any ILX in a heartbeat.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    stickguy said:
    That like the one I used to own. 220hp turbo, Aisin automatic. That one seems to have the higher-end infotainment option they offered back then. Built in Germany most likely. Transmission was a bit wonky in downshifting but never really caused any problems. Fast enough but not super-zippy around town. Good top end though. Great highway car. Handled and rode really well. Heavy. Tight rear seat. I liked it at the time, later models were better.

• Options

Drove a '17 VW Tiguan today and loved the 2.0T engine. No turbo lag at all and it pulled with decent power, none of the turbo lag that my 1.8T engine has. Was quite enjoyable to be honest and now know this is what I should've gotten way back at the end of 2013 when I settled for a Hyundai Tuscon. Not that the Tuscon was a bad vehicle, it just was the wrong one for me at the time since the Tiguan was what I really wanted all along! The high price tag scared me off at the time and also the dismal mpg's didn't help either. Was just a real eye opener today when I first hit the accelerator and it felt like home behind the wheel. I now realize that the only con about my Golf is that slight turbo lag I feel when taking off from a stop if the tranny is in "D" mode. In "S" mode, it's barely noticeable but need to remember to move the shifter into "S" mode from a stop which is the issue as sometimes, I just forget. Having the 2.0T engine would solve that issue but the heavier Tiguan has the mileage penalty along with it.
    So, bottom line here is I just need to remember to go from "D" to "S" from each stop and all will be well. Just wondering if the engine in a Golf GTI would negate me having to move the shifter at all? Doesn't the GTI have a 2.0T engine and a different auto tranny? Need to test drive a GTI and see if there is indeed a difference in the way they both drive as I never took one before and looking back, that could've been a mistake. That's why next time, going to try everything that I'm interested in to make sure I get the right vehicle!

Oiir Tuguan gets no respect in the marketplace. It's a shame, it's a really nice vehicle.
  • Options
    qbrozen said:
    Price is way off. It would be a $10k car max; however, autocheck is telling me there is an odometer problem. No details beyond that. Might just be that small discrepancy on carfax where it appears a tech transposed some numbers.

Carfax says it's a repo back in Feb., then sold at auction, then sold, then sold again. Looks like new keys and remote, too, or reprogrammed.
  • Options
    rny421 said:

@stickguy - I prefer the slightly redesigned 2014+ Buick Regals - mostly for the interior.
    Something like this seems to be a bargain at $12k

That does seem like a pretty good deal. Just missing the navi, but guess can't have everything.

• Options
    How come you never hear anything about the Chevy SS sedan?
  • Options
    Likely because hardly any were sold

• Options
    I know. Like Edmunds said in their review, something like "Nice car but who wants a 4-door Camaro".

Still, there aren't many V8 full size sedans you can buy with a stick shift anymore.

I guess the SS is Holden-based, yeah?
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    edited October 2017
    At one time I was infatuated with the reincarnated GTO's and really, really wanted one. On a bet with a buddy I test drove a 2005 model when they changed the engine to the 400HP LS2. He said I would never even get off the lot with one being all of 21 years old but I went to a small Buick/Pontiac dealer and they didn't even blink. That car was a hoot to drive, it had power in spades and sounded so good at wide open throttle. Unfortunately it didn't fit my budget, either in payment or insurance, so I ended up with a Mazda 6 instead.

When they introduced the G8 and then the SS I was sorely tempted to go look at them but never got around to it.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    The SS is kinda pricey, too.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    edited October 2017
    I only ever climbed inside a G8 at the NY auto show. I was disappointed in the build quality and materials. I remember showing my wife how, when I closed the door, the whole damned thing flexed under the weight of my hand.

Yes, the SS is pretty pricey. When I bought my V Sport, the street price of the SS was the same as the Caddy. Absolutely no contest there. I also think they missed the mark on styling. How many people want to spend $50k and have their car blend right in with Impalas and Malibus?

All that said, I recently checked values and 2014 SS vs 2014 V Sport are worth about the same money with 35k miles ($28k-$29k) at auction. So somehow they are holding their own.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    On the G8, one of them - I think the V6 model - had a lot of transmission problems. My dealer had a bunch of them out back waiting for transmission parts that apparently were only available in Australia.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

I only ever climbed inside a G8 at the NY auto show. I was disappointed in the build quality and materials. I remember showing my wife how, when I closed the door, the whole damned thing flexed under the weight of my hand.

Yes, the SS is pretty pricey. When I bought my V Sport, the street price of the SS was the same as the Caddy. Absolutely no contest there. I also think they missed the mark on styling. How many people want to spend $50k and have their car blend right in with Impalas and Malibus?

All that said, I recently checked values and 2014 SS vs 2014 V Sport are worth about the same money with 35k miles ($28k-$29k) at auction. So somehow they are holding their own.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want the ULTIMATE sleeper it would have to be the SS. It would be a Corvette-powered rental car!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,243
    They might have sold a million of them, and I wouldn't know. They all look like Malibus

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    I saw one the other day. Silver with black trim and other than the Brembo brakes you'd just never know!!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    I recently saw a red one at shop rite. Looked surprisingly small. Probably because it was low by modern standards.

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    qbrozen said:
    I only ever climbed inside a G8 at the NY auto show. I was disappointed in the build quality and materials. I remember showing my wife how, when I closed the door, the whole damned thing flexed under the weight of my hand. Yes, the SS is pretty pricey. When I bought my V Sport, the street price of the SS was the same as the Caddy. Absolutely no contest there. I also think they missed the mark on styling. How many people want to spend $50k and have their car blend right in with Impalas and Malibus? All that said, I recently checked values and 2014 SS vs 2014 V Sport are worth about the same money with 35k miles ($28k-$29k) at auction. So somehow they are holding their own.
    Agreed on the pricing. At one time I thought it would be a fun car so I pulled up my local Chevy dealer site. This is a screamer dealer...”ALL MALIBUS 10K OFF STICKER AND A FREE MICROWAVE!!” 

Figured if they had a similar deal on the SS or even a leftover model, I might be tempted enough for a drive. But no, they had 2 and not a penny off list on the website and this is just not one of those dealers where you just want to wander around casually, take a look and maybe a nice quiet test drive.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Just saw a red G8 speaking of the devil. I'd imagine these things were over 2 tons?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    I want that truck. You should give it to me.
  • Options
    @breld nice on the sail of the snow tires from the beamer! any car looking for you this weekend!
  • Options
    @stickguy nice car you posted last night