Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• fezofezo Posts: 9,328
    We had a better than 20 year old Kenmore traditional top loader. When it finally dies we got a GE front loader that took a major repair in the first couple of years and another couple after that was declared dead, We now have a no agitator top load Samsung that I just love.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    I really can't help ya with the new ones. Sorry.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,296
    Yes, I've looked at Enthusiast Auto; they are a bit pricey for what I am looking at right now.When I'm through with all my work travel(in @2.5 years) I may buy something from their inventory.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    edited October 2012
    the scratches on your Pilot make me think of that scene in Pulp Fiction when John Travolta's character talks of what he'd do if he could've caught the guy.

Hahaha; no kidding!

Someone keyed my '69 C20 a few weeks after I got it up and running, and I was just glad I didn't catch the person. I'm not sure if that would have qualified for temporary insanity when I went on trial! :P

Honestly, I think I know who did it even to this day, but he denied any wrongdoing (of course) at the time, and I took pity on him by giving him the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes I'm too nice, I think. It still angers me fifteen years later when I see those gouges. :mad:
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,170
    edited October 2012
    they are nice. The T6 is going to be thirsty though.

one good feature is that it sits a bit lower, and the cargo area is squarer, so I bet it will be a lot easier to get a bike in.

super nice interior, and great seats.

The other obvious option would be a new Outback. I really liked that when we were looking, and would have been fine with that over the RDX.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• breldbreld Posts: 1,252
    That T6 was brawny - lots of grunt. Definitely thirstier than the 4-cyl engines in the BMW and Audi, but coming from a 4Runner (V6), at least he wouldnt' be stepping backwards.

He's so torn, 'cause the Volvo dealer has the exact color and configuration available right now, so he could pick it up today. And though he's kept his current ride for 8 years, we do share the same blood - so now that he's started this process, he's become absolutely obsessed with the search and wanting to purchase a car.

But, he is really drawn to the BMW and is trying to wait it out for the wagon availability. Or this morning he said he is reconsidering the X3.

We'll see.

2011 BMW 535xi - 2008 Audi TT - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,671
    Thanks for all the feedback...

Let's see... so far, LG, Samsung, Whirlpool, Maytag and GE.... shewwww...
    :)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    Let's see... so far, LG, Samsung, Whirlpool, Maytag and GE.... shewwww...

FWIW, I found the Maytag at Lowe's and the wife approved of it. We only needed a dryer, but she insisted we get both.

Also got 0% for 6 months from Lowe's.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,229
    "...keyed the right side..."

I know how you feel. It's more than the damage, it's that someone violated YOUR stuff. A very primitive visceral feeling.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

It seems we went from CCBA to CABA, but I'm for following the route of this conversation!

Our W/D set is fairly young compared to what some of you have reported, being purchased & installed as soon as I had our plumbing finished in July of 2004. The set was a bottom-of-the-line (no frills), front-loading, high-efficiency Kenmore. Ours is used heavily, though, having used cloth diapers with two children (one of whom was a real PITA with the bathroom training). Now that we're away from that, I think we are down to six or seven loads a week.

Recently, though, our washer has become increasingly noisy during the spin cycle, leading me to believe that the bearings are likely on their way out. I'm not ready for a new set yet! I think we paid about $900 for this pair back in '04, and some brief research on replacements makes me think I'll be in for upward of $1,000 for a new front-loading washer. The dryer has its own set of problems, but it still drys the clothes well.

I can't even compare the laundering experience using a front loader versus the top loading machine we had when I was a kid. I'd say the clothes take half as long to dry (45 min vs. 90 min for a heavy load) simply because the washer spins the water out of them so much more effectively.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,006
    edited October 2012
    I had a full size stack set in Anchorage, front loading Frigidaire. Had lousy reviews but worked fine. About got a hernia moving it in. Got a new scratch and dent front loader washer in Boise; don't remember the brand (GE?). It weighed a ton too. The old set that came with the current house walks all over the basement, so I'm guessing there's no concrete blocks in the bottom like the new ones.

And yeah, we had some tearing of clothes initially until we figured that you really need to do all loads with the full tub selection.

I'd probably buy whatever is currently on sale per Fatwallet.

And that's another reason I won't be a chronic car buyer - the old minivan is so useful for hauling stuff like this around. I can fit a washer and a dryer inside at the same time and it'll hold a frig with the hatch closed. Who wants to ding up a nice new van hauling appliances around?

(sort of topical, LOL).

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I completely agree - vans are immensely useful! I'd still have my Grand Caravan if it weren't for that electrical gremlin. I'm still frustrated about that.

As it is, I cannot justify buying another van because we don't "need" it, and fuel economy is ~50% of my Fiesta. It doesn't make any sense. I'm sure I'll miss it on our next trip, though!
  • akanglakangl Posts: 3,592
    I completely agree - vans are immensely useful!

They may be useful, but considering I've had 2 altercations with minivans since 2011 I'm terrified of the darn things!! I park as far away from them as I can.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,170
    now that we downsized from an Odyssey to a compact SUV, the wife and I have the space to travel conversation quite often. I already know when we go for a week at the short it will require 2 cars (assuming, of course, the shore is still there next summer!), but that is fine since it is only about 50 miles.

Christmas though, that is going to be interesting. Something is going to have to be left behind!

to be fair, a couple weeks ago we went to NY for a christening. 3 of us, with a normal amount of luggage and extra crap, plus a big bag of apples we picked and a bunch of pumpkins. All that fit fine. Plus, we took 2 people to the airport, so going to 5 people (tons of room for everyone, the backseat in the RDX is cavernous) with their luggage and carryons too, now that was packed! Not much view out the back window.

would have been a big non-issue in the odyssey, but my theory is, if we can make it fit the 1-2 times a year we need it, then it is big enough the rest of the year!

though I do think about getting some kind of PU (not a 1/2 ton, something odd like a car/truck hybrid say) as my spare car someday.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

Trailer hitch with a cargo tray. It makes a HUGE difference for cargo capacity and has negligible impact on fuel economy. ~$250 total investment, maybe an hour of install time, and you're set!

Well, there is that. :P

I had one close call when we owned the van... a pickup rear-ended us on an icy road when we slowed for a left-turner in front of us. To be fair, it was an incredibly icy road and we did have to brake hard, so I couldn't really hold it against him (the difference was that I had studs and he didn't). Thankfully, our bumpers connected, the weather was relatively warm (~20 degrees), and there was no damage apparent to my van, with the only "damage" on his truck being his license plate being nearly torn off the bumper.

So, we called it good and went on our ways.

Let's see... my other run-in was with a pickup as well. Mr. Psycho. It's a good thing I'm not terrified of them, though, or I'd simply have to leave Alaska! :blush:
    Well, gosh. "One close call" isn't exactly true, but I digress (further).
  • ronsteveronsteve Posts: 435
    Can't speak for the new generation XC70, especially the T6, but my '06 V70 has served quite well as it just clicked past 104K miles. It's been mostly trouble-free, with only 3 unscheduled maintenance visits in 5+ years, all for nuisance problems.

Practicality IS its strongest suit for a cyclist, as either one of my bikes lays down just right in the cargo area with the seats folded down. Getting two back there might require some creativity, however.

Seats are awesome and I do enjoy the low-rpm boost of the Volvo turbo. Just wish it wasn't so de-tuned in the low gears.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,100
    breld....I've never been in the market for a Volvo. My older sister had two of them (one a 240, the other a newer one that was a model I can't remember). She had great luck with both, exceeding 150K miles.

Now, she's got a Jag, which she's had no problems with in over 120K miles. She's looking at Volvos again. She said Volvo has gone the BMW route and covers all maintenance (along with warranty) for the first 5 years of ownership.

Only thing I can say is that they do have very comfy seats, at least they felt that way the few times I've sat in them at car shows.

But, just as I like my women, I've always preferred the very fast, high maintenance sort of cars. :P
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,251
    The new volvos are great cars and apparently much better in reliability. The first year depreciation however is catastrophic. Check on line search engines for cpo models --- you could save thousands.