Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    I'll go with 34 for this year. My Touareg lease is up 12/30/18 so I'll have to do something this year, the question is when.
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192

"breld said:
    I'll go with 29 for my guess for 2018 punches.
    You mean 29 punches for you alone, right? :D "

LOL
    - Ray
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    breld said:
    @corvette - I don't see the Polestar that @breld got to replace the GLC
    I knew one would slip through the cracks... What model year and how many miles? When did he buy it?
    I'm sure @breld will be along with the details .... or, you can search back however many pages in this thread to get the details.
    The Polestar is a 2016, and had 16k miles on it.
    When did you acquire it? 
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    corvette said:

breld said:

@corvette - I don't see the Polestar that @breld got to replace the GLC
    I knew one would slip through the cracks... What model year and how many miles? When did he buy it?
    I'm sure @breld will be along with the details .... or, you can search back however many pages in this thread to get the details.

The Polestar is a 2016, and had 16k miles on it.

When did you acquire it? 

November 14th. Thanks!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    So, from 11/25/16 through 11/14/17, the breld household bought ten cars. Congrats! 
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    corvette said:

So, from 11/25/16 through 11/14/17, the breld household bought ten cars. Congrats! 

All hail the King of CCBA.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Thank goodness, the various dealerships involved are running charities. In my world, it'd be a disaster.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    corvette said:

Holy crap! Not that eight in a calendar year isn't embarrassing enough - you had to point that out? :p

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,315
    breld said:

corvette said:

Holy crap! Not that eight in a calendar year isn't embarrassing enough - you had to point that out? :p
    10?

That's more than my folks bought in almost 60 years of marriage.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
     I’m gonna have to go with 39 countries for 2018 not sure bro will do most of them starting end of January the latest I’m not making a punch this year but my mom will be in a couple of months what it will be we shall see some test drives have to start by next month the latest maybe next weekend if I can convince her to go on a Sunday we shall see 
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    I believe I will have a punch later this year as I will need to get a car for my daughter. The Accord will go to my daughter or my wife's parents (haven't come to a final decision on that yet) and a newer car for me. A CPO Audi A3 Premium Plus or A4 has my attention currently, but not the CVT version. I project 26 punches for 18. Call me Mr Conservative.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    sda said:

I believe I will have a punch later this year as I will need to get a car for my daughter. The Accord will go to my daughter or my wife's parents (haven't come to a final decision on that yet) and a newer car for me. A CPO Audi A3 Premium Plus or A4 has my attention currently, but not the CVT version. I project 26 punches for 18. Call me Mr Conservative.

Audi doesn't come with a CVT.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279
    ab348 said:

I'll take my favorite number, 33.

Larry Bird fan??
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,196
    Michaell said:

sda said:

Not even the FWD models?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

Michaell said:

sda said:

Not even the FWD models?
    Oop, you're right.

CVT on FWD models.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279
    breld said:

corvette said:

If you weren't a CPA, I'd say that you must be driving your CPA nuts buying depreciating assets.
  • Options
    Looking back at the numbers over the years, I'd say ya'll tend to be pessimists who under-guess the number of cars bought.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    A pessimist is just a closet optimist yearning to be proven wrong :p
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    hey, stick. Got time on Friday? Wish I did, but its my son's 8th bday. Got this message from Cherry Hill Jaguar.

Join us on Friday 1/5/18 from 4-6 pm to see and test drive the new Jaguar E-PACE. The first compact SUV from Jaguar! This vehicle will only be here for a few hours, so come see the newest Jaguar.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    I’ll stop with the wife before we go out to dinner. Just won’t tell her first.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    snaps some pics for us. :)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Of my wife glaring at me? Sure. B)B)

• Options
    edited January 2018
    stickguy said:

Of my wife glaring at me? Sure. B)B)

Think of it as a potential replacement for the RDX .... she should be on board with that.

EDIT - perhaps if you take off one of the plug wires, that will move the buying process along.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    We do plan to celebrate this week since last night made our last ever tuition payment. But was thinking a nicer restaurant for dinner Friday, not a new car.

But I will say, just got latest issue of motor trend and cover article was about new subaru ascent. That really piqued my interest.

• Options
    Ouch! Here is some brutal deprecition. 50% in one year. 2017 Fusion Sport.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    Lot of car for those prices 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Quite a spread. Wish could see how equipped they are. Of course, you would be paying a lot more on the lot.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Safe bet is that the pricier sales are loaded models. I believe the only important options were essentially moonroof, nav, and driver assist stuff. That would typically equate to about $500 per on the used side.

BTW, 2017 Taurus SHO adds roughly $4k to those numbers.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    That seems like great value.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,556
    Holy cow that's a big hit. When I shoppes those earlier in the year I'm pretty sure the residual value on a 3-year lease at that time was 53% or 54%.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,556
    For folks who want a quick and comfortable all wheel drive sedan that can be had with all the latest safety gear and are willing to compromise on the driving dynamics a bit that's a great value.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    pensfan83 said:

For folks who want a quick and comfortable all wheel drive sedan that can be had with all the latest safety gear and are willing to compromise on the driving dynamics a bit that's a great value.

Yeah, that was my thought when I saw those numbers.

But, is it worth it to buy and hold for 5-7 years?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796

My brother called me tonight having problems with his diesel truck in the extreme cold decided he’s going to get a new truck guess model instead he’s had this one for number of years think he might keep it anyway not sure what is going to do with it I want new brand of truck he’s going to go with now 

Probably really late in the game here, but most likely the fuel being provided by the stations is still #2 diesel, which just can't handle the sort of cold the northeast has seen recently without some supplements. Power Services sells diesel fuel additive that will keep it from gelling at low temperatures or, if he has already experienced gelling, then diesel 911 should help get it back to a liquid state.

I had issues with my Passat last winter when I was getting ready to take it to Anchorage for buyback, and these products did the trick.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    pensfan83 said:

We're planning to go back in the spring to see it. A number of our friends have been there and have said it's an amazing home and experience. The nice thing is we're only a little over an hour away so it's easy to do a day trip and spring is beautiful in the Laurel Highlands.

The little town of Ohiopyle was a wonderful stop for my family last year (ooookay, so it was May of 2016, which doesn't count as "last year" anymore). We did not tour Fallingwater or Kentuck Knob, but we did stay at the campground that was just across the way from Kentuck Knob, as well as hike and bike all around the little town (and its surroundings). The original plan was to go on a rafting trip, but the company cancelled on us.

Anyhow, there is a little restaurant on the corner of the main drag along the riverfront, which is combined with a convenience store. Excellent food, dirt cheap. Recommend....! Maybe called "Falls Market;" I don't entirely recall. It's just before you cross the bridge over the Yough (or just after, if you're coming from Fallingwater).

If you're inclined to stick around a little while and walk the riverfront or many of the numerous trails in the immediate area, head up a couple streets behind the restaurant to the corner of Sherman and Sheridan to grab some fabulous ice cream cones at the Kickstand ice cream shop. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    @qbrozen wow huge hit!
  • Options
    @xwesx I will let him no thanks for the info! He did put sume thing in the fule was not working! He still has the truck and got an GMC ucon to now he has will see it in an few weeks when see him!
  • Options
    I don't recall if I gave any update on the Rover. Ordered a new switch from Amazon and waited a couple of days. When it arrived, I tried to put it in with no luck. When I compared them, I found they were not quite the same. So I decided to put the old one back in for the time being. And, wouldn't ya know it, the damned car started working fine again.

Until tonight. On wife's commute home, the battery light came on, then, after a while, everything started shutting down little by little until the car came to a halt. 2 flatbeds later, it is in my driveway. I'm assuming alternator at this point until I can get it charged up and test it.

• Options
    well, I can guarantee if that had been my wife, I would have been told that it is now my car, she won't drive it again, and I had best get working on a replacement.

• Options
    Looks like very low mileage on those Fusions, especially for the money!
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

I don't recall if I gave any update on the Rover. Ordered a new switch from Amazon and waited a couple of days. When it arrived, I tried to put it in with no luck. When I compared them, I found they were not quite the same. So I decided to put the old one back in for the time being. And, wouldn't ya know it, the damned car started working fine again.

Until tonight. On wife's commute home, the battery light came on, then, after a while, everything started shutting down little by little until the car came to a halt. 2 flatbeds later, it is in my driveway. I'm assuming alternator at this point until I can get it charged up and test it.

Sounds very much like a suspect. Did you check the battery voltage at all when it was off? If the alternator was not working well, it is very possible that it has just been slowly draining the battery to supplement the vehicle needs over the last several uses.
  • Options
    stickguy said:
    well, I can guarantee if that had been my wife, I would have been told that it is now my car, she won't drive it again, and I had best get working on a replacement.
    My wife would have also told me I should have never bought it in the first place. 
  • Options
    at least in our case, she is the one that wanted it. I just let her get her way. But quite possibly she would not remember it that way, or would just say I should have talked her out of it (yeah, right)

• Options
    edited January 2018
    stickguy said:
    at least in our case, she is the one that wanted it. I just let her get her way. But quite possibly she would not remember it that way, or would just say I should have talked her out of it (yeah, right)
    I tried like hell to talk her out of the Rover. Oh well.

I had previously checked the battery and the alternator. If it does turn out to be the alternator, it is possible it was glitching sporadically, causing the previous dash lights, and now just gave up completely. So far, I can't get enough juice in the battery to do anything. I'm letting it charge overnight now on a lower setting. Unfortunately, the damned thing is outside and snow is coming tonight. Not good timing.

• Options
    good thing of course that you have a spare car for her.

and yes, just a bit of a difference between a new Acura and a used Rover.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    other than the miles, and the price, I actually really like this car. Probably going to be a money pit though. Can't possibly really be going for this much $?

http://www.eimports4less.com/detail-2013-volkswagen-golf_r-certified_golf_r_awd_sunroof_navigation_2_door_6_speed-used-17179693.html

• Options
    stickguy said:
    other than the miles, and the price, I actually really like this car. Probably going to be a money pit though. Can't possibly really be going for this much $? http://www.eimports4less.com/detail-2013-volkswagen-golf_r-certified_golf_r_awd_sunroof_navigation_2_door_6_speed-used-17179693.html
    If the miles were lower an enthusiast would have nabbed it already. My guess is someone will anyway. 

Feels like it would be a money pit. 
  • Options
    Oddly, the auction sales seem to disregard miles. Not many examples, but one with 30k miles for $15k, 2 with 60k for $18k, and another with near 90k for $15k. Go figure.

• Options
    nyccarguy said:
    Just in case anybody asks, yes a 24" snow blower will fit into the cargo area of a 2017 Honda Pilot with the 2nd row in place.

Looks like the Pilot has been adequately broken in.