Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,941
    Lift height might be too high. But otherwise, cool car if it had matching wheels (mismatched wheels seem to be a passed fad) and a nicer face.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    They blacked out the grille, better angle:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/28/embargo-wed-nov-28-12-30pm-est-hyundai-drops-- the-top-on-velo/

Add black wheels to the rear axle and it's actually cool looking.
    Just needs a new face for me, I am sensitive about those specific aesthetics, and that one has too much far eastern panache. Still practical and cool in its own way, like a deluxe CRX for a new generation. I wonder if the top can roll the other direction too .
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,039
    Looks like it'd suck a ton of fumes into the cabin.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Also ditch the strange color on the mirrors and top.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,006
    edited November 2012
    Drove today:

2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Sedan (no navi): Very quiet compared to previous Honda products. Nice interior. Handled well despite the narrow (215mm, if memory serves) tires. Very powerful, but the six-speed automatic hesitated to kick down, which is probably part of the reason it claims to get 34 MPG on the highway. Steering felt a little numb. Nice assortment of technology. The cloth seats on the LX model look and feel like sandpaper--I think the uplevel models get better cloth. (By comparison, the cloth seats on the 2012 Civic look like sandpaper but feel better than the ones on the Accord.) The lane departure warning activated on a two lane road--apparently, the car thought I was about to stuff it into the ditch.

2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 SV (with navi): Since I have a previous-generation Altima, I felt more at home here than in the Accord. Blind spot around the C-pillar is worse than my car. :sick: The cloth seats are very comfortable and have very nice fabric. The CVT feels more responsive than the six-speed auto in the Accord. I drove this one on a different route and didn't get to test the car's grip, but it should be better with its standard 235-mm tires. Not as much technology, either standard or optional, compared to the Accord. Blind spot warning and lane departure warning are part of a package that also includes the navigation system. Forward collision warning and active cruise control are unavailable at any cost. It's rated for only 31 MPG on the highway, but in my opinion, this tradeoff is due to the Altima's wider tires and more responsive tuning compared to the Accord V6.

I went into these test drives wanting to like the Accord over the Altima. Overall, I think I would prefer the Altima as a daily driver. Honda needs to offer an Accord Sport with the V6 engine and more aggressive transmission mapping for the enthusiast crowd.

Not driven: The 2013 Mazda3 Skyactiv (different animal, I know). The Mazda dealer on Shelbyville Road couldn't be arsed to greet me. :mad:
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,026
    edited November 2012
    Not driven: The 2013 Mazda3 Skyactiv (different animal, I know). The Mazda dealer on Shelbyville Road couldn't be arsed to greet me.

That was a huge blessing in disguise; Oxmorons Mazda is a shady operation from the get-go. In 2007 they were asking several thousand dollars over MSRP for a Mazdaspeed 3 and they wouldn't allow a test drive without a signed buyer's order. And did I mention that they charge over MSRP for parts? Or that they slap crappy Chinese made alloys on new Mazda 2s and then charge a $3000 ADM for them?
    I'd refer to them as amoral, low-life, sociopathic scumbags, but that would be a disservice to amoral, low-life sociopathic scumbags everywhere...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

Yeah, all their Mazda3s had a $699 "protection package" addendum. I don't like Huffman, either, so that pretty much rules out a Mazda for me (the next closest dealership to me would be close to 100 miles away from home, which is too far for me to go if I have an urgent service need).

At one time, didn't Blue Grass have a Mazda franchise? I leased my A4 from them, and don't have any complaints. Mazda has some cool stuff, but (like VW) they need to instill some fear in their dealer network.

An unrelated thought on the Altima test drive: The 2013 Altima still doesn't have a grab handle above the driver's door. A small thing, but it can be a convenient way to stretch your arm on a long trip.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,203
    Nissan dealers around here are very competitive on selling 2013 Altimas. 4k off msrp is pretty typical. Sat in one and liked the seating a lot. Wanted awd which lead me to the LaCrosse. Made a great decision -- maybe the nicest car I've ever owned.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,125
    Nice write up on the Accord & Altima. "Steering felt a little numb (on the Accord)". DING DONG! Who is it? Electric power steering sucking the life out of driving enjoyment while netting an extra mpg or 2 on the EPA test.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

edited November 2012
    Thanks for the compliment... You're right. The Accord has the dreaded full EPS; the Altima uses an electric pump to drive a regular hydraulic steering rack. (Even the Altima lacks steering feel compared to the BMW, though.) Amazing what you can tell from a ten minute test drive!
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,602
    I assume my RDX has full EPS. It certainly is light, but hard to say how much actual "feel" it has since I have never really gone back road storming with it.

The only real issue I have is that it seems pretty darty on center. I prefer something a little firmer that does not need constant corrections, but overall, it is not too bad and generally handles well.

would probably be more of an issue if it was something that was supposed to be sporty!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

edited November 2012

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,579
    Funny, our Mazda3 has been pretty good over it's 113.5k miles with us...we've had to replace a few things but with the new motor mounts, car feels like new! In the past, we've never had a car past 80k...but we've decided to keep it, as the wife loves her car. I think we'll get it to 150k at least! So, I will disagree and say Mazda makes a pretty good & reliable car. :)

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

Very low mileage. Price is too high, though. Looks good in the pictures, but the instrument cluster and radio LCDs are messed up. I wish mine had a folding back seat.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,125
    Oooooooooo! According to the ad it has a tachometer. Was that a rare option on an E39? Lol! Nice ride. Still looks sharp w/ the SP. asking price seems high for an almost 11 year old car.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

Co-worker of mine just picked up an oddball. 535i Xdrive Touring, nicely equipped. I think 2009. Dame Edna, but I think that's a pretty rare car. Still trying to get what was paid for it.
    edited November 2012
    So, I will disagree and say Mazda makes a pretty good & reliable car.

I was referring to a particular dealer, not the brand. However, it does seem that Mazda and VW have more than their share of clueless, inept, and shady dealers. I have to drive over 100 miles so that my MS3 can be serviced by a Mazda dealer that hires service technicians with opposable thumbs.
    As for my 2007 MS3, the last 52,000 miles have been absolutely trouble free- a marked contrast to the first 60,000 miles, when the car needed a new turbocharger, a variable valve timing actuator, a front strut, both rear shocks, and a new EGR valve.

edited November 2012
    Looks good in the pictures, but the instrument cluster and radio LCDs are messed up.

I saw that the dash cluster and MID displays were missing pixels. I'd just remove them and ship them off to VDOrepair.com for a permanent repair.
    As for the price, I think $10,000 would be a fair price; their aren't many manual M Sports to be found. And it isn't Black or Titanium Silver... :P

• Dang.... really low miles.... and, all the right equipment....

Love those style 42 wheels... too bad shipo isn't around any more to see it...

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs