Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,017
    "...even for a 4-cyl..."

That's probably Chrysler's new 2.4L developed with Hyundai and Mitsu with 172hp. Much better than the old tech gas hog 2.4L in my PT Crusier.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,585
    well, at this point, I barely need a car in terms of putting on miles. mostly so i can say I have one, and to have less hassle trying to swap with the wife of daughter. But I won't be putting many miles on it so higher miles but good shape could work out. As long as it is cheap!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

"...as long as it's cheap..."

If it's just a cheap vert you're looking for, try this:

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3392127459.html

If it's got the V-6 it's a Mitsu motor.

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,023
    I bet it's smoking too, unless the valve seals have been done. All the older Caravans with that motor always seem to be blowing blue smoke.

My Brother had a 94 Spirit with the 3.0. Smoked like crazy, but wouldn't die despite his attempts.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

"...smoking too..."

Yeah, that was one weak spot in that engine. Valve seals dried out and they would burn oil. A friend has a Montero like that, burns a quart per 1000. It's going strong at 150,000 miles. The positive side is that he has never had to replace any exhaust parts because the oil film protects them from rust.

• Stopped by the dealership, but that E39 sold last night... :(

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

I have seen worse for the money. A lot worse, though who knows how it runs.

Not going to philly for it though. One of my rules!

But I love his pictures. Classic plate cover (his finger), and I think he should be shooting weddings.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,268
    That's definitely a common "trait" on those 3 liter engines. My Caravan had the much better (in my opinion) 3.6L V6. That engine was just buttery smooth. I had 214K on it when I sold it, and I'll never forget how the buyer's eyes lit up the first time he turned the key to start it. It fired up and sounded like he was about to drive it off the showroom floor. :shades:
    "...classic plate cover..."

Perhaps I'm being dense but why would you hide the plate in your ad? If you were worried that someone would get ID info on you couldn't they just do that from the phone number?

Even if they didn't, they would certainly know who you are when they looked at the title. What am I missing?

I wonder the same thing, since your plate is exposed when you are driving around anyway.

All I can figure is they think people are going to see the plate, and look you up in DMV records to get your address? Though why they don't do it to any old car, I don't know. And frankly, I have no idea how easy it is to do a look up anyway. I doubt it is worth the trouble just to find your house.

• akanglakangl Posts: 3,591
    No word from the Ford dealer on when the block heater might arrive for the Focus. Going to call them Monday and bug them some more.

If we didn't have the Yaris things would be really rough. Hubby is on week 2 of his commute with the Yaris. No block heater on the car, but with a battery heater and oil pan heater the car seems willing enough to start at -35. Ordering a block heater for it next week, installation is easy, thank you Toyota!
    I just have to say, there is no chance I would ever live someplace where it could possibly get anywhere near -35. At this point, anything in the 20s sounds like a good reason to stay in the house.

I can't wait to move south!

-30F here in Fairbanks today. I share your sentiments on days like today, until I remember that if I were to move south (even south in the same State!), I'd have to share space with many, many more people. Then -30F doesn't sound so bad. :D
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,964
    edited December 2012
    It hit 45 here in the UP and the ~6" that snuck down last week is mostly gone (norm would be 26). Could hit 60 tomorrow. Plenty of fun cars around to blow your money on.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019
    I can't wait to move south!

My son is applying to the University of South Carolina; we told him tat if he gets accepted we are going to his place to celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

I knew I could rely on you to help make me feel good about the weather, Steve!

I've always liked those 60s Fairlanes and Galaxies. 390 with a 4-speed? Yeah, I could go for that! :shades:
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,964
    edited December 2012
    The '65 Galaxie 500 in the family (white, like the cop cars of the era) was good until I cracked the block during a cold spell over Thanksgiving. I had borrowed it from my mom for a week to go back to school and didn't know it needed antifreeze. Back in the day that was an annual ritual I guess. It probably got down to 31.9 degrees that week. :)
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,195
    I cut my teeth driving my Dads 65 Ford Galaxie 500 XL coupe with a 390 -- great bucket seats and if you were alone in the car you could smoke it pretty good. With 3 buddies aboard -- not so great. Honey Gold with a brown vinyl roof. I should have bought it from him in 68 instead of the Volvo 142S which was a real lemon.
    I have that school on the list of colleges for my daughter to look at. Might be a bit too far away, but I could always follow-up on my threat to follow her south.

edited December 2012
    Saw this little gem on CL down south and the milage caught my attention. Then I heard the cautionary voices of the Edmunds car pros whispering in my ear "run away".

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/3439366180.html

How much would you deduct for a car with true milage unknown. Would you even try to determine what the actual milage was on such a car? I was thinking if the car passed an independent mechanic's inspection and Car Fax or Auto Check verified that the car had the milage stated around the time the seller said it did, it might be worth considering.

Ignore this particular car for a moment and give me your opinion on what you would do if this was a car you were hot to trot for.