Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    Michaell said:
    I used to fly in for the Philly auto show to go with my Dad. Just hasn’t worked out recently, especially now that baby is on board. 
    May I make a suggestion? Start up again, next year. You'll have a lifetime to make memories with your son, but you don't know how many more years you'll have with your dad. My dad has been gone now almost two years, and I really wish I'd spent more time with him, even though I was 1000 miles away.
    It’s well taken and you’re right - especially because I almost left both of them behind last summer. Reality is none of us are a sure thing. 

Its not something I have shared here, but I have not been out of Seattle’s metro area since last summer when everything happened. It started as medical necessity to stay nearby but it’s also become some low-level anxiety. I picked up the infection I had while traveling and as illogical as it sounds, I still connect the two. 

I am starting slowly with a trip to Vancouver in a few weeks and then we are going as a family to Philly at the end of March to see my folks.  I’m hoping that the slow roll breaks me out of this travel funk I’m in. Hard to believe that 12 months ago I had just wrapped up a year of 125k miles of flying....

The good news is that Sam turns 1 on Thursday and both my Mom and Dad will be out in Seattle for a long weekend. Can’t wait to take my Dad out in Hans (that’s what I’ve named the MB). 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,900
    Michaell said:

I used to fly in for the Philly auto show to go with my Dad. Just hasn’t worked out recently, especially now that baby is on board. 

May I make a suggestion? Start up again, next year.

You'll have a lifetime to make memories with your son, but you don't know how many more years you'll have with your dad.

My dad has been gone now almost two years, and I really wish I'd spent more time with him, even though I was 1000 miles away.
    I’m trying to make it a tradition with my son. Last year he had an absolute blast at nearly 3 years old. I asked him if he wants to go this year and he said yes!

We went last year on a Saturday. This year we are going to leave work a little early one day and try a week night. It’s usually a little less crowded.

I’m not really shopping anything this year but always try and hit all the manufacturers.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
     Sandy with the new job hope that it works out one that you applied for last week have an awesome day 
     Yes I agree with everyone above tomorrow’s not guaranteed enjoy every day because traditions with our parents and kids but I don’t have any kids it’s he addition since 2000 for me and my dad and husband go to the New York auto show cookie form to it again this year 
     Sorry everyone I can send this voice dictation sometimes were seeing me my dad and cousin have had a tradition since 2004 to go to the New York auto show looking forward to it like always think it’s in early April this year have to look enjoy the day everyone love this board and Edmonds community pool a cool bunch of people 
     West were you affected by the tsunami in Alaska I woke up hearing that on the news this morning and I thought of you could check in here 
     Sandy nice on the cars you drove yesterday at work not my thing but listen if you like it down the road you see what you wanna do it comes to a new car go for it different strokes for different folks like the sea 
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    jpp5862 - congrats & enjoy !
    - Ray
    Never owned a brown vehicle ...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @jpp5862 ...sounds really nice. Congrats!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    tjc78 said:

Michaell said:

You'll have a lifetime to make memories with your son, but you don't know how many more years you'll have with your dad.

My dad has been gone now almost two years, and I really wish I'd spent more time with him, even though I was 1000 miles away.
    I’m trying to make it a tradition with my son. Last year he had an absolute blast at nearly 3 years old. I asked him if he wants to go this year and he said yes!

We went last year on a Saturday. This year we are going to leave work a little early one day and try a week night. It’s usually a little less crowded.

I’m not really shopping anything this year but always try and hit all the manufacturers.
    My son went every year up until he was away at college. I remember his first year, at 7-8 months, he spent the whole time wide eyed, pulling himself forward on the bar of the stroller to see better. and reaching out to touch tires. After that, he was hooked! I still remember one year it was so nasty out, I had to carry him from the parking garage zipped up inside my coat. The cheesesteaks and beer after the show is a more recent add-on.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    My son and I go every year. He turns 24 on Sunday.
    Our show is in about a month.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    mine is 26. He lives 4 hours away but comes home for it every year.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    You can go to Seattle in November, or Vancouver at the end of March. I go to the latter every year as an excuse for a long weekend. Both shows are relatively small, but it's all we have locally.

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Thanks for the well wishes everyone, I'm really glad with how this worked out. I hope to pick it up tonight before I leave town for work, I'll post some pics when I can.

@ab348 You can always get out of a lease early, just like a loan it has a buyout number that decreases as you make payments. A lease is essentially financing a set amount of depreciation over a given time, so wherever you are on that schedule determines what you could buy the vehicle for during the lease.

In this case I would be essentially selling the current Touareg to a dealer, since I don't own it and haven't paid taxes on it there isn't a trade credit for the sales tax (thanks to @breld for pointing that out). So I shopped around, most dealers were at $29.5 and Carmax and Echo Park (an AutoNation alternative to Carmax) offered $30k and $500 is $500 so it will be going there today.

I did leave that part out, but in posting my novella yesterday I learned Edmunds has a character limit on posts so I had to edit some stuff. :smile:
    edited January 2018
    Looking forward to the Denver Auto Show with @michaell and the Brelds in a few weeks!
    My GTI has been put up for sale - listed at just under $20k. Seems fair to me, but maybe I'm biased.
    @28firefighter congrats on the C class! That's a great deal on a great car and I like the name Hans.

My GTI has been put up for sale - listed at just under $20k. Seems fair to me, but maybe I'm biased.

You'll find out, one way or the other, pretty soon. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    jpp5862 said:

Thanks for the well wishes everyone, I'm really glad with how this worked out. I hope to pick it up tonight before I leave town for work, I'll post some pics when I can.

@ab348 You can always get out of a lease early, just like a loan it has a buyout number that decreases as you make payments. A lease is essentially financing a set amount of depreciation over a given time, so wherever you are on that schedule determines what you could buy the vehicle for during the lease.

In this case I would be essentially selling the current Touareg to a dealer, since I don't own it and haven't paid taxes on it there isn't a trade credit for the sales tax (thanks to @breld for pointing that out). So I shopped around, most dealers were at $29.5 and Carmax and Echo Park (an AutoNation alternative to Carmax) offered $30k and $500 is $500 so it will be going there today.

I did leave that part out, but in posting my novella yesterday I learned Edmunds has a character limit on posts so I had to edit some stuff. :smile:

OK, so you're the one buying out the lease, not the dealer you're buying the TDI from? How did the Carmax offer compare to what your remaining obligation on the lease was, if I may ask? In my experience most leases have inflated residuals and thus are not worth buying out in most cases. Is the TDI a purchase or another lease?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709
    Doesn't happen too often, but once in awhile, I wake up in the middle of the night and have a hard time getting back to sleep. That happened last night, so what better way of using the awake time than browsing cars.

No doubt inspired by @jpp5862's transaction, I was eying this Q7 TDI:

2013 Q7 TDI

Nice low miles, but it does strike me as a lot of money for a 2013 out of warranty. But I do like the color inside and out.

Then did a nationwide search for new TDI's (again, like what @jpp5862 is doing with the Touareg) - not too many out there, but there are some Audi dealerships, mostly on the east coast, that are looking to sell their brand new 2015 Q7 TDI's at about 20% off. That's still about $50k. For a little more, I can find a lightly used current gen Q7 - no TDI, but the 3.0T doesn't have a power deficit.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

ab348 said:

OK, so you're the one buying out the lease, not the dealer you're buying the TDI from? How did the Carmax offer compare to what your remaining obligation on the lease was, if I may ask? In my experience most leases have inflated residuals and thus are not worth buying out in most cases. Is the TDI a purchase or another lease?

Actually Carmax will pay off the lease and take possession of the vehicle, I don't have to buy it first. I had about $2k in negative equity, which I'm not a fan of but when you consider it needed tires soon which is about $1,200 and then factor in I skip a payment I was able to justify it.

The new TDI is a purchase, hopefully one I keep for the long haul. Eventually I'd like to get a second "fun" car but that will be a little bit down the road.
    Where I landed (at about 3:30 am) was I should try to project when the "right" time is to rid myself of the Durango, and then pick up a "properly used" XC90 or Q7 (maybe a Discovery). On the new one, I figured the sweet spot will be when 3 year leases start getting returned - find one where the previous owner put low miles on it and then turned it back in.

On the Durango - I'm driving it a lot. It's a 2017, about 15 months old and has almost 25k miles (it was about 4-5 months and 5k miles old when I bought it). So...at what point does something like this really start taking a hit on depreciation? 50k miles? 70k miles?

breld said:

On the Durango - I'm driving it a lot. It's a 2017, about 15 months old and has almost 25k miles (it was about 4-5 months and 5k miles old when I bought it). So...at what point does something like this really start taking a hit on depreciation? 50k miles? 70k miles?

Probably the day it was driven off the lot new... :D
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    rayainsw said:

jpp5862 - congrats & enjoy !
    - Ray
    Never owned a brown vehicle ...

Dear @rayainsw -

DOOOOO IIIIIITTTTTTTT.

Sincerely,
    Brown Vehicle Owners Society
    "What can't Brown do for you?"

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    LOL.
    - Ray
    Did have a brown Bonneville - as a rental once ...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited January 2018
    breld said:
    Where I landed (at about 3:30 am) was I should try to project when the "right" time is to rid myself of the Durango, and then pick up a "properly used" XC90 or Q7 (maybe a Discovery). On the new one, I figured the sweet spot will be when 3 year leases start getting returned - find one where the previous owner put low miles on it and then turned it back in. On the Durango - I'm driving it a lot. It's a 2017, about 15 months old and has almost 25k miles (it was about 4-5 months and 5k miles old when I bought it). So...at what point does something like this really start taking a hit on depreciation? 50k miles? 70k miles?
    Actually I would think that by the 50-70k mile range the big hit in depreciation is over. At that point the curve is not as steep and being a domestic SUV might actually help vs a similar year and mile Audi or BMW.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,377
    Congratulations to @28firefighter and @jpp5862 on the punches.  Two very nice vehicles!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    edited January 2018
    jpp5862 said:

Looking forward to the Denver Auto Show with @michaell and the Brelds in a few weeks!

@jpp5862 Well done write up on your path to purchase. Enjoyed. Congrats on the new Touareg (Edit: I had the wrong name earlier--at least it started with a "T").

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    edited January 2018
    breld said:

Doesn't happen too often, but once in awhile, I wake up in the middle of the night and have a hard time getting back to sleep. That happened last night, so what better way of using the awake time than browsing cars.

2013 Q7 TDI

Nice low miles, but it does strike me as a lot of money for a 2013 out of warranty. But I do like the color inside and out.

Then did a nationwide search for new TDI's (again, like what @jpp5862 is doing with the Touareg) - not too many out there, but there are some Audi dealerships, mostly on the east coast, that are looking to sell their brand new 2015 Q7 TDI's at about 20% off. That's still about $50k. For a little more, I can find a lightly used current gen Q7 - no TDI, but the 3.0T doesn't have a power deficit.

Price does seem a tiny bit steep. You also have to consider that, with the modification, it has a substantial warranty on, basically, the powertrain and the full emissions system. I can't recall how much of a warranty right now, but it is far more than you'll ever have to worry about! :)

If it has not had the fix applied (which I seriously doubt), then you're looking at about $9,500 compensation for a Prestige. (or half of that if another owner already claimed part of it). I received a little over $8,300 for mine, with the payment arriving the day after the mod was complete.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

jpp5862 said:

@jpp5862 Well done write up on your path to purchase. Enjoyed. Congrats on the new Tiguan.
    Hehehe. Tiguan. How insulting! :p
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    andres3 said:

4.4 on a type R already? That's the condition rating right? 4.4 on a car with under 4 or 7 thousand miles? hmmmm.....

I think the bloom is coming off the rose on the Type R. Looks like it's not going to be a smash hit. I suspect Honda fanboys are a little disappointed. It's not as fast as it should be, and the exhaust note is pretty docile. As for styling, it is polarizing---good for some, not so much for others.
    edited January 2018

West were you affected by the tsunami in Alaska I woke up hearing that on the news this morning and I thought of you could check in here 

Marco, that was a wee baby shaker. :) Not really, but way out in the Gulf of Alaska, so no worries here in the interior. I hear folks could feel it in Kodiak and southcentral (Anchorage, etc.), but this was nothing that was going to wake me from my sleep!

It was not, apparently, of the type that would generate a tsunami, though it did cause a minor disruption of the tidal cycle.
    Hey @michaell and @kyfdx -

You should suggest to the powers that be at Edmunds that they should create some CCBA schwag - maybe a decal or similar?

Hey @michaell and @kyfdx -

You should suggest to the powers that be at Edmunds that they should create some CCBA schwag - maybe a decal or similar?

They might ask me to fund it. :p

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Ah, yes! The "Golden Lugnut" Award--presented on a handsome walnut plaque.

Ah, yes! The "Golden Lugnut" Award--presented on a handsome walnut plaque.

If its an award, it goes to @breld...
    Depends if it is based on number of vehicles, total money spent, or vehicles-over-time. We could have different categories, you know.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    edited January 2018
    breld said:

2013 Q7 TDI

Well, @xwesx has been driving a 2014 Q7 TDI for a while now so perhaps he can weigh in.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    Back before a wife and kids my father and myself went to the North American International Auto Show and Woodward Dream Cruise, both in Detroit every year from 2005-2010 and we had an incredible time. We met up with some folks from another board I have belonged to for almost 18 years now and though my father was skeptical over meeting people from the Internet in a city 300+ miles from home, those weekends and weeks could not have been more entertaining and fun. Things are different now but with the boys getting older I'd like to rekindle at least one of those annual trips.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    @pensfan83 My son and I attended that show in 2007 or 2008, I think. It was fun, other than it being 3F, that weekend.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604

Depends if it is based on number of vehicles, total money spent, or vehicles-over-time. We could have different categories, you know.

Oh yeah. Most purchased over all, the "Mr. Regular" award for those that buy every year, the "Spectator" award for those that hang out but never actually go full Breld, etc.

Or we could just do the bumper sticker.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    kyfdx said:

@pensfan83 My son and I attended that show in 2007 or 2008, I think. It was fun, other than it being 3F, that weekend.

We always had fun as well. I can't remember if it was 2008 or 2009 where the show had a decidedly more sparse look and feel due to all the turmoil surrounding the bailouts and the economy in general. I'm guessing it was 2009 but I remember it being much more somber and restrained than prior years.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

Michaell said:

It’s well taken and you’re right - especially because I almost left both of them behind last summer. Reality is none of us are a sure thing. 

Its not something I have shared here, but I have not been out of Seattle’s metro area since last summer when everything happened. It started as medical necessity to stay nearby but it’s also become some low-level anxiety. I picked up the infection I had while traveling and as illogical as it sounds, I still connect the two. 

I am starting slowly with a trip to Vancouver in a few weeks and then we are going as a family to Philly at the end of March to see my folks.  I’m hoping that the slow roll breaks me out of this travel funk I’m in. Hard to believe that 12 months ago I had just wrapped up a year of 125k miles of flying....

The good news is that Sam turns 1 on Thursday and both my Mom and Dad will be out in Seattle for a long weekend. Can’t wait to take my Dad out in Hans (that’s what I’ve named the MB). 

I know how you feel. I’m a transplant recipient and have had 2 serious infections away from home since then. It made me feel leery of traveling overseas, even though I’m in very good health and didn’t acquire either infection while traveling — I probably took them with me on the trip. It was a big decision for me to go to Prague last year and I’m really glad I did. Nothing happened, and if it did, well, they have good hospitals there too. We are planning a trip to Dublin and Bristol this summer. I’m sure I’ll get anxious before the trip, and I’m pretty sure it will be fine.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    xwesx said:

breld said:

2013 Q7 TDI

Price does seem a tiny bit steep. You also have to consider that, with the modification, it has a substantial warranty on, basically, the powertrain and the full emissions system. I can't recall how much of a warranty right now, but it is far more than you'll ever have to worry about! :)

If it has not had the fix applied (which I seriously doubt), then you're looking at about $9,500 compensation for a Prestige. (or half of that if another owner already claimed part of it). I received a little over $8,300 for mine, with the payment arriving the day after the mod was complete.
    I'm certainly assuming the fix has been completed on this one - I see a generic "service completed" on the Carfax around the time I would have expected it to be done.

Thanks for the feedback on the warranty - I figured there was some sort of extension, but wasn't sure what it actually covers.

edited January 2018

andres3 said:

4.4 on a type R already? That's the condition rating right? 4.4 on a car with under 4 or 7 thousand miles? hmmmm.....

I think the bloom is coming off the rose on the Type R. Looks like it's not going to be a smash hit. I suspect Honda fanboys are a little disappointed. It's not as fast as it should be, and the exhaust note is pretty docile. As for styling, it is polarizing---good for some, not so much for others.
    Not as fast as it should be? Hadn't heard that one yet.

But yes, I imagine the bloom is wearing off a bit - if nothing else, it's just not the newest, shiniest thing anymore and isn't on the cover of every car mag. A revised 2018 Golf R (and GTI) will get some attention, as well as the upcoming WRX revision (I just assume it has to be coming soon).

Having said that, I still don't get the sense that these are even close to accumulating on Honda's lots yet. Those auction values are strong - at least for those of us who didn't pay exorbitant mark-ups. ;)

West I’m glad they weren’t affected by the tsunami warnings and stuff earlier today 
    By the way, @andres3 - thanks for the feedback on the TTS.

So overall, you think it's a higher level of quality and workmanship than the Golf R...what about the S3?

I assume most of the reason folks go with the TT is simply the beautiful, exotic look of the car. That's certainly the primary impetus for my interest.

For what it's worth, a national search of pre-owned 2016+ TTS's indicates the most predominant color to be...Vegas Yellow!

I actually love the color, but am undecided whether I'd actually own one.

Pencil Vania man 83 that sounds like an awesome show at Woodward the other show you attended in Detroit never went to those who actually want to go to also wanna attend one of those Barrett Jackson classic car auctions to get on it soon ha ha Ha 
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    breld said:
    By the way, @andres3 - thanks for the feedback on the TTS. So overall, you think it's a higher level of quality and workmanship than the Golf R...what about the S3? I assume most of the reason folks go with the TT is simply the beautiful, exotic look of the car. That's certainly the primary impetus for my interest.
    From what I have read about the RS3, I want one. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S