Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,895
    Was thinking about it yesterday and I think taxing the rebate is probably right. HOWEVER, I wonder if it matters what the rebate is. For instance, a customer rebate? Yes. But a manufacturer-to-dealer rebate? No. At least, that's what I would think proper.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,895
    100k warranty on the battery.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,585
    I would say at least 95K more than you will need!

and in Joisey, rebates to the customer have always been taxed. They are netted out of the deal after the taxes are figured (kind of like your DP). But getting into a dealer incentive is not, since that goes into the dealer selling price.

Thinking back, with all the new cars I have bought over the years, I don't think I have gotten one that had an actual rebate.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• We are convinced this Odyssey is jinxed so we are hunting for a new family hauler. Our 1st choice was another used Odyssey, preferably a 2008-2010 EX with less than 50k. They are surprisingly hard to find and the ones we do find are near $20,000-$23,000 ... Seems high to us.

So we are now looking at a 2013 Sienna. They have a $269 lease deal right now which seems like a good deal. Just not sure which way to go.
    I can't keep up. Didn't you just get rid of 1 odyssey for a different one? And now the new one is bothering you?

What exactly is wrong to make you think it is jinxed? mechanical failures (could just be a bad unit) or extraneous items like accidents (in which case you are making it up!)?

Better off with a cheap lease most likely, since a nice low-mile used one that old is going to sell for a ridiculous price, too close to new to make sense buying it.

Kind of glad we are done with the minivan phase, though it would certainly have some in handy at Christmas for our week long tour of the families!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,881
    Was thinking about it yesterday and I think taxing the rebate is probably right. HOWEVER, I wonder if it matters what the rebate is. For instance, a customer rebate? Yes. But a manufacturer-to-dealer rebate? No. At least, that's what I would think proper.

That's correct.. dealer cash doesn't show up in the deal... It just lowers the price... and, in most cases, shouldn't be taxed..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    If that's minor damage I'd hate to see what major damage looks like!
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,578
    Have you looked at the Edge yet? Most folks seem to like it for some reason. I guess a Highlander is a bit too small for what y'all need but I sure like 'em. The new Sante Fe Sport is also a really nice one but you'd probably look at the full sized Sante Fe I guess. I know anything from Dodge/Chrysler is not even being considered but maybe their leases might be doable.
    I just really like the Highlander and think it's a notch above what Honda makes but prefer Honda products overall. So far, my 1st Honda is holding up well and will be in our stable for many years to come.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,016
    Too many mods for my taste, but on the plus side, you can wear a different set of wheels and tires to work every day.

The only thing I'd really want to check out is the suspension; I've ridden in some coilover equipped cars and they rode AND handled great- others have had both a miserable ride and iffy handling.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,016
    "...which way to go..."

I would never buy a Honda used because the strong resale value makes getting a bargain impossible. I would go with a new one. A lease would be a good idea for the same reason, less depreciation.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• We had a 08 EX, sold it for a 2011 EX-L because the interior was awesome and we "had" to have one. Within a few months, we started getting a vibration between 40-60 which made us afraid of the transmission. The sliding doors were also temperamental. So we sold it once our youngest was out of his stroller. We figured we were done with minivans. THEN we found out about baby #3 right as this cheap 08 LX presented itself. So we bought it, even though we don't have a good track record with white Hondas.

We bought the current 08 Odyssey on 9/25/12... It's been in two accidents since we bought it. Therefore, I'm convinced its bad luck.
  • We like the Edge and Santa Fe , but we need three rows. We did briefly consider a Traverse but Gee can't see himself buying a GM product.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,003
    The Traverse is pretty dated. I remember the XC90 driving really well, but it's been several years. The third row probably isn't very big (I was looking at models without the rid row).
    with a 3rd kid, and the stuff they require, you really should have a minivan if you actually plan to use the 3rd row. Unless you are moving up to a suburban, about the only what to have enough cargo and passenger room. Plus a usable 3rd row, since the mid size SUVs are pretty useless.

A Sienna, or another Odyssey, make sense. or maybe a really cheap lease or slightly used Chrysler would be cheap.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,106
    Have you guys thought of a Pilot? We've got 3 kids (6, 3.5, & 13 months) and find the Pilot very spacious and comfortable. We have an '11 EXL w/ Nav.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,268
    I saw three Leafs (leaves?) in short succession yesterday on I5 headed south from Portland. I had not seen a single one before that. Kinda ugly little cusses... typical Nissan. ;)
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,003
    The Chrysler T&C and VW Routan are supposed to drive and handle very well, especially after the latest refresh with the new 3.6 liter engine. You could probably find a used one cheap--especially a Routan.
  • breldbreld Posts: 1,127
    So just this weekend as my wife and I were driving around in the new 335, I remarked on how I love it so much and hope we can find something like it for her (meaning a nice 3-wagon that she's always pined for).

328xi m-sport wagon

Coincidentally, this is being offered by a broker that was trying to (unsuccessfully) sell my A5 for the past two months on consignment.

So one-owner, low miles m-sport, manual 328xi wagon with navigation. I was joking with my wife that they did indeed make these but finding one would be next to impossible. So here's a nice one in our backyard.

We might do it and have coordinating 3's.

2014 Passat - 2010 328xi M-sport wagon manual - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,195
    Two CPA's with chronic car fever is a beautiful thing. I do give you credit for staying within a reasonable budget by buying used. Definitely helps at trade-in time. I am however, almost afraid to predict what will happen when you are empty nesters with all your kids on there own. Should be fun.
    that is a seriously nice looking car. i would be very happy with that. Wonder if I can trade in my 17YO on it? Getting rif of her, and the pending college bills, is the only way I could afford it now!

even better, read the summary. that is the extra special, 7 passenger model! Unless there is really a rear facing 3rd row I don't know about, in which case, never mind...">