Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,170
    I think stuff there goes for over the top prices for a few reasons. Auction fever, festival atmosphere, and some of these cars are so over the top restorations they don't represent a "normal" XYZ mobile.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

remember a few weeks ago, I found a freaky Fiero with a snorkel and Buick V6, that was photo'd right around the corner from me? Same guy, same spot. Massive loss expected!

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3555463828.html

probably nicest in existence, and looks stock. Probably still overpriced!

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3555473750.html

my junk for your junk!

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3555900329.html

when the interior is rusted out, it is a bad sign.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3555931824.html

a 245K SVX. what could possibly go wrong? Well, he knew, hence the spares listed.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3526113570.html

not many of these left.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3555155403.html

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

oh my goodness, I want this. real bad. I wish I was one of you rich guys like oldfarmer or Andre that can have a fleet of fun toys. I also want to drive this on the street.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3555995499.html

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    The significant price drop comes in the form of a new base model. Not sure how that is going to play out. Seems to me they were pretty smart about it the first time around. All of the doodads in this car serve a purpose for this type of car. For example, the nav that tells you where charging stations are and if you have enough capacity to reach one or your destination, or the heated steering wheel and seats that draw far less power than running the climate control (learned that one last night playing around with it on the drive home last night).

They are promising increased range though. So we'll see, could be a good upgrade if we want to lease another in 2 years. I gotta say, though, since I didn't test drive it myself, I have now discovered that the drivers seat sucks for me. Quite uncomfortable. And, with all of the content in this car, having such limited adjustment on it and the steering wheel is a crime.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    What's the conventional wisdom on that? Drive it once a week?
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,230
    Rececar---$190k plus LAWYER'S FEES? What did he do, run someone over with it?

88 Dodge---nice but not $8000 nice.

Junk4junk---looks like seller is cleaning out his yard. I do like the optimism of "shifts fine but no reverse".

Ford---oh that rust will buff right out.

SVX---looks nice but like you say...

Samurai---nicest I've seen. Up here they rusted pretty quick so the old ones are all scrap. Too bad the seller wants pretty close to MSRP. For $2k I'd buy it.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

"...rich guys like oldfarmer..."

Yeah, I wish I had all my money too. :P

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I'd so much drive that Conquest. 80s at its finest. I can hear Journey or Men at work blaring from the cassette deck.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    Yeah, that's the other side of the low mileage coin, isn't it?

Almost 10 years ago, my folks bought a new Hyundai Sonata ... GLS, V6. Mom wanted one last "new" car (they had been buying used since '73).

Today, I'd be surprised if it had 30K on it. It's not been perfect - they had a problem where it wouldn't start that needed some repair work to fix.

Looks and runs great, for the most part.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,671
    Well.. I was actually driving in the '80s, and you wouldn't hear anything like that coming from my car.. :P

I think the Conquest might be the nicest one in existence.... and, probably worth half that.... but, if you really wanted it, what's a couple thousand?

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,413
    edited September 2012
    Those Chrysler Conquest/Mitsubishi Starion twins were the cool imports BEFORE imports were cool. I didn't know they were made as Dodges too.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,671
    Evidently, Plymouth as well.... at least according to Mystery Car Pix discussion a few weeks back...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Why would Plymouth have needed a Conquest? Weren't almost all Chrysler dealers Plymouth as well? That is the way it was around here.

And what is wrong with Journey??? Men at Work I can understand!

If you wanted a Conquest, I could certianly see paying top dollar for a mint one. You would come out way ahead in the long run.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

edited January 2013
    Even I would be wary of buying this one.

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/3556689748.html

I'd be tempted at half that price though.

Which is exactly what Edmunds says it's worth in outstanding condition. Less than $1k added for milage. Hummmmmm.

• habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    edited January 2013
    2,800 miles in 10 years is about the annual mileage on my grandfather's car - a 1965 Pontiac Catalina - that he bought new when he was a sprightly 77 years old. He lived with my aunt and didn't really need a car or to maintain his drivers license, but it was was important for him to feel independent. When he passed away in 1984, the 19 year old car had 7,500 miles on the odometer and had never gone for more than a couple of weeks without the mandatory 15-20 mile drive with me along Lake Erie. I probably helped wash and wax that car with him 50 times over those 19 years, starting when I was 8. He left it to me, but given that I was just a couple of years out of college and living in an apartment, we sold it to a family friend for a few bucks. If I had kept that car stored away, I probably wouldn't trade it for a Porsche today just to have my own kids have a connection to my grandfather.

As for this 2003 Buick, it looks like it's also "sentimentally" priced.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,413
    Funny you say that habitat. My Dad has a 1966 Corvette Roadster (numbers matching, 427/390) that he bought in 1974. Most of my adult driving life I always said that when I get it, I'll sell it & buy a Boxster S or a new Corvette. Now my plan (when it becomes mine) is to keep it!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

aka went to the car show. Always makes me want a new car, but there really was not much that really got me revved up.

my wife did try out all the SUVs (I know she already got one, so this was out of order!). kept debating if she should have gotten something bigger, but at the end when we saw the RDX, it did not seem as small (cargo area) as we remembered. And she did like that one about the best, so she is still happy.

Oh, she actually thinks that MB owes her a car. We entered by the MB display, and she made a beeline toward an ML550. Gets in (not easy), and her name was on the radio display. She thought this was a sign from God that it was meant to be hers. I thought the 67K sticker said otherwise. Not sure it will work, but she expects to go back next Sunday when they were closing up and they will give "her" car back!

liked some, not others.

Honda is winning me back. Obviously we liked the RDX, but I really loved the new accord (hated the prior generation), and the new Civic was very nice. Even had manual seats that had enough cushion tilt for me. And comfortable. The 2 reasons I did not buy a 2006. If it drives well, a winner.

and shockingly, the Acura RLX was extremely nice. Loaded, and comfy and roomy. I even liked the ILX. well equipped for the money.

My son was in love with a BMW 335ix in medium blue. Happened to have a 6 speed stick which called to me! Don't even want to know the price. There was a dark blue 328 wagon there that was gorgeous. Sports line (with sport seats), AT, but again, must have been 50K+.

New Forrester was nice, but could not get into it. Rav4 was a big improvement, and if it had been out we would have given it a drive and serious consideration.

fusion and Mazda6 seemed nice enough, but gigantic. What happened to being midsized?

One of the nicer packages (size/comfort/etc.) was the Jetta. Nice car.

ATS was tight in the back, and up front did not wow me, but need to drive one to decide.

and the new pathfinder seemed like a nice package if you need something bigger.

• houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,862
    edited January 2013
    That is the curse of all big time farmers/landowners like you. They are poor all their life and then die rich !!

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    You must have seen a high end Jetta. The base models are so cheap.

DC show starts Feb 1 so I will cheek out the Pathfinder.

Hope the Forester is open by then.

Did you see the Corvette?