Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,602
    jetta was an SEL. Nice seats.

Forester was on a turntable with a door open, and I managed to reach the hatch and open that. Was shocked when it started beeping at me, to find out it had a power hatch! what silliness on that car.

if the vette was there, I missed it, but we pretty much skipped the Chevy section.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I like my power sliding doors so I will take that power hatch. Handy when you're carrying something.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,023
    "...poor all their life and die rich..."

That's called being land rich and dirt poor.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

power hatch on something small (and traditionally "minimalistic") like a Sube just seems wrong somehow.

and I need to keep my wife away from them, or she will decide she has to have that too. She is now totally addicted to the comfort access/push button start on the RDX. She always hated waiting for me to open the doors, and can never find her keys in her purse (or anything else, but that is another issue!)

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

Q, saw a leaf at the philly auto show today. Medium/light blue. Is that what you got?

pretty nice inside, and seemed comfortable enough. Lots of features. Good luck with it.

funny thing was, my wife was talking about one. She uses the RDX to go back and worth to work (3 miles, in traffic) so as with the odyssey, she gets crappy mileage (16s or so overall). One of these, or at least a hybrid like a volt, would make a ton of sense! that would get all the run around town use, and the RDX for longer runs and my spare car in the garage.

edited January 2013
    Finally, an old Toyota on CL that is only a little overpriced, not wildly. I like this one, because if you made it a 2 door 5 speed, I had this car. Same hood vent, same color and year. I kind of liked that car.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3558119148.html

everyone should have one of these. The corvair is for sale too I believe.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3507648170.html

a Samurai for OldFarmer

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3557794441.html

Paging Jim Rockford.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3526145628.html

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,025
    What's the conventional wisdom on that? Drive it once a week?

Yep, although who knows what the minimum time should be for the weekly outing.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    edited January 2013
    The 75 is actually a nice color combo. I'd buy it and drop an LS1 crate motor in (so it could keep up with a v6 Camry) and beat the snot put of it.

Look at the poor fit of the hood. Sometimes it is good they don't make them like they used to.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Forester has crept up in size and price, and with Eyesight has features we'd expect from Volvo.

They have the XV slotted below it in price, to compete with Juke and Outlander Sport.

The take rate on Eyesight has been surprisingly high in Japan. Seems people no longer want minimalistic.
  • I agree. The 2013 Accord is the closest we've seen to "old Honda" in a while. It drives great, gets 31 MPG in mixed driving, and is comfortable. I haven't driven a newer Civic but you can tell the interior is light years ahead of what we first saw in 2012. Now if they would just do away with the cylinder deactivation on the Odyssey.....
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,595
    Why would Plymouth have needed a Conquest? Weren't almost all Chrysler dealers Plymouth as well? That is the way it was around here.

According to Wikipedia, it was marketed as the Dodge and Plymouth Conquest from 1983-86, and then for 1987-89, only as the Chrysler Conquest. Chrysler had a little in-house competition with the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser. However, for 1987, the Laser was dropped, leaving just the Daytona, so that's probably why they dropped the Dodge Conquest and at C-P moved it from a Plymouth to a Chrysler. Perhaps they figured that having just one sporty little coupe at Dodge and one completely different one at C-P was a better use of resources?

And yeah, I don't think there's been a stand-alone Plymouth dealer since 1959. If there were, they were very rare. Before 1960, Mopar dealerships were usually set up as Dodge-Plymouth, DeSoto-Plymouth, or Chrysler/Imperial-Plymouth. Some bigger stores combined brands, as well. I've heard that one dealer local to me used to be Plymouth/Dodge/DeSoto/Chrysler/Imperial.

In 1960, Chrysler consolidated into two divisions: Chrysler/Desoto/Plymouth and Dodge. So that both divisions would have some sort of equality, that's why Dodge got the Dart, which matched Plymouth model-for-model. And for '61, Dodge got the Lancer, to counter Plymouth's Valiant. The Dodge Matador and Polara sort of equated to the Desoto Fireflite/Adventurer, and Chrysler's Windsor.

In some ways, that plan backfired on them, because the Dart outsold the big Plymouths that year, but at the same time, served to cheapen the brand. The big Polara and Matador weren't very popular. DeSotos weren't very popular either, as the almost identical Chrysler Windsor didn't cost much more than the Fireflite, and was cheaper than the Adventurer.

Also, with having Plymouths and Chryslers in the same showroom, Plymouth had to endure sort of a "glass ceiling", where their cars would never get too nice or upscale, because they didn't want to compete too directly with the Chryslers. Through the 1960's it worked fairly well, but when Ford came out with the LTD and Chevy the Caprice, I think Plymouth was a bit reluctant to push their own Fury VIP too aggressively. And then, in the 70's, when the personal luxury coupe craze caught on, Mopar would fight the Monte Carlo and Grand Prix not with a Plymouth, but with a Chrysler...the Cordoba.
    someday I need to stop in and take an Accord for a ride. Not that I will be in the market soon, but you never know.

and our 2005 had the cylinder deactivation, and it never bothered me. once in a while if you paid attention you could sort of tell it kicked in, but never bothered me.

our RDX has a fancy version (I think it runs on 2, 4 or 6?) and I honestly can not tell how many it is ever running on. They also got rid of the Eco light so you can't use that to try and "cheat". IMO, completely transparent now.

75 Corolla---that's not a bad price. Quick, buy it and flip it for $9k.

Tow truck---Xmas present for a CCBA member.

Samurai---I love that cloth top! Believe it or not that one looks better than some I've seen up here. A guy at work had one who's front fenders would literally "flap" in the wind.

Firebird---looks to be in nice condition but in 75 the 350 was so detuned I don't think it put out more than 160hp. Strictly a show car not a GO car.

the Corolla would be a whole lot better with a stick instead of the doggish 3 speed AT. Must be a total slug.

and having a rollback handy, that could be some serious enabling. I would need a pole barn like Andre to pull that off. Think of the mutts you could bring home!

and I have seen the Firebird listed in the past. Does look pretty nice, other than the odd hood fitment. Most of those around here are all rotted out, so check it over carefully. But a nice crate motor, and you could have a nice fun toy.

"...other than the odd hood fitment..."

Could that be due to removing the hood for painting? I've seen shows where the have to adjust the hood after putting it back on.

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,202
    I remember browsing a Pontiac showroom in 1978 and seeing a Bandit Trans Am done up in black and gold. Looked at the msrp -- 8k -- way out of my budget !
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,595
    I got an email today from the dealer I bought my Ram from. The subject header read "Are You Ready for a New Car?"

C'mon now, it hasn't even been four months yet, and already they're trying to seduce me?!
    they probably knew who they were dealing with.

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I still get letters from Hyundai that they will offer top dollar for my 09 Genesis. If they only knew its long gone.

Meanwhile, we have strike number one on the Buick. I noticed some oil in the driveway yesterday. I immediately crawled under the 04 Merc. Bone dry. I look under the Buick, but nothing conclusive just a little residue on the CV boot. The wife just ran out and I went to check the driveway and a nice fresh puddle of oil. At least it's under warranty.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

at least it is just a lease. so who cares, other than the stain on the driveway? Take it in, and get it fixed.

or just use it as the excuse to trade it in!

Did you make it to the convention center yet? Good way to see all the possible SUV options. There are a lot of them.