Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,101
    That's part of how I justified leasing my 2011 328xi. You (BMWFS) think my 2011 328xi is going to be worth $28K after 30 months & 50,000 miles? Sure, I'll lease it:)

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    OOOoooo, I could see myself buying that! Of course, it probably smells to high heaven of cigarette smoke, which would bar my considering it, but that aside.....
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,902
    No more real guzzlers (E55 can often get 12-13 in town) or cars with big wheels and thin tires for me. There's a Renntech C63 I see on craigslist that catches my eye, but I have enough willpower to stay away. Of course, when the modern Biturbo V8 AMG cars depreciate to my level, I might sing a different tune.

MB does similar lease tricks with the C and especially E, grossly inflating the residual. With a heavy facelift coming for 2014, I predict there will be a glut of leftover 2013s to be blown out. Give me an amazing deal on a properly equipped and colored bluetec, and I might think about it. Don't know what I would do about the E55 though - can't justify keeping it, wouldn't want to sell it. Got a clean bill of health at its service last week.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,902
    I remember there was one of those in town when I was a kid (redneck/farmer area) - was probably some kind of rancher status symbol. Haven't seen one in ages.
  • breldbreld Posts: 1,127
    So earlier this afternoon my wife was the victim of a hit and run on the interstate. She was basically sideswiped by an SUV, whose driver acted as though he was about to pull over, but instead chose to flee the scene. She tried to give chase (to get the license plate), but was unsuccessful given her bumper was half off and one tire was blown. Another driver was kind enough to provide a witness statement, but no one could identify the license plate.

So first and foremost, my wife is fine.

Second, it was sort of fortuitous that the BMW dealer has had her wagon for the past week trying to get her Sirius satellite to program properly. So she was driving the VW bug. Of all the cars, this is the "best" one to have had this happen. Just think if she had been in her newly acquired wagon!

Nevertheless, I hope this person lives the life of a fugitive and is wrought with guilt. :mad:

2014 Passat - 2010 328xi M-sport wagon manual - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,584
    that is a bummer. but yeah, good thing you have 14 cars so the good one avoided the hammer.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

pretty nice looking BMW, and looks like much of the common items recently done. And it has sport package. Love the colors, and looks real clean. Miles a tad steep, but price not too bad it seems. Get it down to 4k, and you might have something.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3580716404.html

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,576
    Nice looking ride but yep...the miles are a bit high. Good color and don't the tires/wheels look like a plus 1 or are my eyes playing tricks on me at 3:47 a m?

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• Those are stock 17" Sport Package wheels... which are +1 from non-sports..

For a 13-yr-old car, those miles are below average (135K)... The cooling system replacement is good.... My friend with about 105K on his '03, just had his expansion tank go.... and is spending around $1400 to re-do the whole thing...

The one scary thing for me is the automatic transmission... If that goes, the car is just about totaled.. Of course, that's true of just about any $4000 or less car..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• jpp5862jpp5862 NCPosts: 297
    Glad to hear she's at least OK, cars can always be repaired or replaced.

Any idea how much damage to the Beetle?
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,627
    edited January 2013
    Nevertheless, I hope this person lives the life of a fugitive and is wrought with guilt. :mad:

Unfortunately, that probably won't be the case.

Glad to hear your wife is safe. I'd think being side swiped at interstate speeds could have ended up much worse.

My dad was involved in a hit and run a few years ago. Someone ran a red light in a pickup and clipped the rear quarter of his Accord. He was going about 40 and was completely spun around. I think it caused over $6k worth of damage. The perp kept going like nothing happened. Considering where it happened, the likelihood of them having insurance was probably nil.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,014
    "...I officially own the thing..."

Congrats! At the end of this month I make the last payment on the Eclipse. Wife wanted to pay the whole thing years ago and it's been a constant struggle explaining how keeping the money invested was better than paying off a 0% loan.

She hates owing money.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

If my wife had thought like that, I wouldn't owe money on an RDX for the next 4 years! Tried to convince her that a used X3 was a better idea. Just didn't work.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,014
    "...according to KBB..."

I cringe when someone quotes Kelly. Don't know where they get their values. Even if you consider those as "asking" prices they don't make sense. Of course the sellers don't factor the "asking" part when you to try to bargain.

When you mentioned your BILs S2000 I ran it through Edmunds and got a value of $7600. Kind of low I thought, so I tried KBB. Kelly said $22k! :surprise:

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Hmm, this just popped up on my radar.

The C-Max is actually shorter than the Prius (I want small), but nearly as roomy as the bigger Prius V.

Everyone complains about the Focus' auto gear box, but the C-Max gets a CVT.

They're not getting the claimed 47mpg, but they are still high 30s, and prices have dropped to the high $23k range for that exact reason, from $26k asking originally.

Finally, the gas tank has more capacity than either Prius, so the all important range ought to be good.

Anyone driven one? Does it feel at all like the Focus?
    working from home + our 2 day "spring" holiday came in handy. So far, have 2 of 3 int he fleet washed (the RDX went out in the snow, and was filthy white from salt). Just have to give the Integra a quick wash later, and will be all set until the next road treatment event comes along.

just odd to be out in the driveway at the end of January, in NJ, in sweats wishing that I had put on shorts and a T shirt instead, since I was getting all sweaty!

I saw one at the auto show and liked it. Just not the Energi model, where the battery takes up most of the cargo area.

If we had not already bought, I would have taken my wife to test drive one. probably on the small side for family duty, and she does refuse to buy a Ford!

coincidentally, I was out earlier and saw one (my first) on the road. Looked nice.

I got the new issue of Car and Driver yesterday, and they had a test of it (pretty sure it was C&D). Might want to look that up if you don't get the magazine.

I saw edmunds being that low. I know it will go for more, due to miles/condition on a "specialty" car. KBB is insane. You must have made a mistake there! I can guarantee if you show up and offer him 22K, he will hire a truck to bring it to your house.

Will search, I think my C&D subscription elapsed.

TrueDelta does not yet have any reliability date on the C-Max. They usually come out with them first. That's a concern, given all the botched launches Ford's had lately.

I had a real bad experience with Ford Credit a while ago, but I'd pay cash, so trying to keep an open mind about it.
    Found it:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-ford-c-max-hybrid-first-drive-review

Pano roof but on SEL only. Would push it over $30k. At that point I'd add Navi, too. A little spendy but it's almost more than I need.

Hmm, lithium ion batteries. That scares me a bit. Very new tech, and look how many fires have come from other Li-ion setups.

Might wait-and-see on that. Until I knew reliability was good I'm not sure I'd buy one.