Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    edited February 2013
    They didn't really like the Mazda3. I think I was the only one who liked it. Didn't help that they didn't have a loaded model on the floor, and the black interior was somber looking. I prefer the two tone beige/black.

Basically I won't let them choose my car, but they do sort of have veto power if they don't like something.

I drove a 2.5l s model, so I should still sample a SkyActiv.

Bluelink is $79, $179, or $279 a year depending upon the level of service you choose:

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/technology/bluelink/get.aspx

$279 to help you find gas that costs 3 cents less sorta kills the whole purpose. You do get a 3 month trial period, during which you could send all your Favorites from your PC.

I think I'd use my smart phone to do all that (already paid for) and just enter an address.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,007
    "...that had been converted to the Mustang HO engine..."

Are you talking about the 4.6L? Tons of Fords had them in the 90s before Ford boosted them up to 300+hp in 2005 for the Mustang. I often wondered how complex a job it would be to switch out the 4.6L 200hp version in say, a 95 Cougar with the Mustang motor.

As you say it would make for a nice sleeper.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• breldbreld Posts: 1,125
    So, are you having much heartache over getting rid of the Miata?

I only had mine for a couple of seasons before I replaced it with a more practical package, but you've had a Miata for many years now, right? :)

2014 Passat - 2010 328xi M-sport wagon manual - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

My basic rule is that if I'm not totally sure, I don't trade.

The family basically vetoed the Mazda3, though maybe if I showed them a loaded up model I could "save" it.

They liked the Prius V and the Jeep Wrangler the most (go figure, they're opposites), but neither is suited to my small car wants.

Elantra GT just might please us all, we'll see.

Impreza is still on the short list, too, but my wife hinted that she would steal it, and her Forester is bigger than I want for a daily DC commute.

Golf TDI was already on the pricey side and it was her friend who owned that Passat lemon, so she laid down a hard and cold veto on that. I would have waited for the new Golf anyway.

Will go see an Elantra with them next time we're near White Flint, maybe this weekend I'll drag them out for pizza and then "accidentally" notice the dealer is right next door. LOL

How many of you have pulled a stunt like that before? :D
    edited February 2013
    Just realized I didn't answer your 2nd question.

Yeah, I got a used 93 Miata in 2001 for peanuts. Drove it for more miles than the original owner did and basically sold it for nearly what I paid.

Sold it privately and got a left over 2008 Miata when I saw the smiley face on the 2009s, and decided right away I did not want one of those.

Of course being the manly man that I am, I got the hard core 6 speed manual/sports suspension/huge rims/Bilsteins/torsen LSD package. Well, that's all great on a track but DC has pot holes the size of a ... Miata.

Right now there are 2 holes on the bridge that connects the Clara Barton Pkwy to Canal Rd, big enough to eat me alive.

I'm sure it will get fixed. In 2016.

What I should do it post a classified for a Trade, and find someone willing to trade 17"s for 16"s. Must be OEM though for the TPMS.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,267
    Two months?! Maybe two weeks, if you take your time. ;)
    The ad says it is 6-spd manual.... but it doesn't look like a manual to me from the photos. Those you who drive BMWs... is it manual?

If so, I'd say it looks like a sweet car. I, too, love that color.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,349
    edited February 2013
    Took the miata out on Saturday on the PCH north of SF. Bring yours out, juice, no potholes, just the occasional straight to connect all of the twisties.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,887
    definitely an automatic. 6-speed steptronic. No paddles.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

That's what I thought. Stinkin' autos, anyway. :mad:
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,576
    edited February 2013
    Just got home from a short run...Miami to the Ft. Lauderdale Manheim auction location. A really big installation with cars lined up everywhere. Drove a Dodge caravan with just over 46k on the clock to be auctioned. Two hours from start to end which was o k by me since we're doing a run to Ft. Myers in the morning. Not sure where where pickup is tomorrow...at this point it don't matter really. Overall, the Dodge van was pretty plain jane actually, a SXT version I believe. Compared to the new Quest I drove last week, it was definitely lower grade but since the Quest was definitely a pricier sled, it was outfitted o k. It did have sat radio so that was cool. I do have a 4 gig flash drive that I put music on so if I do get a car with a usb port in the dash, I will probably be able to use it...just not sure what to do once it's plugged in. Hopefully someone in here will send me easy directions later tonite. There must be a radio button one needs to push to make the unit recognize the flash drive somehow. Help anybody???

Also got my free car cell phone charger from Amazon on Saturday...yay! I had looked at a new cell last week at Tiger Direct, an unlocked one, but the tech guy there said the Pantech Impact I've got now is a newer, better phone with more up to date features and he advised me to save my $49.99.

I wanted the LG 550 and it was a very cool looking phone. He couldn't tell me if when texting it showed all the texts in the thread, something I have now and don't want to give up at this point. Since he really pushed me to keep mine, that's what I did do and will wait a bit. I don't have a data plan and don't really want one at this point and the freebies at ATT are pretty lame right now, so similar to what I have that it's not worth signing up for another 2 year contract. And I don't want a smart phone quite yet. If the free phone had been super cool, that would have been a different situation and I would've gone ahead. In time a smart phone will probably be a better move since it would have gps capabilities on it but not ready to change quite yet, so I'll stay put for the time being. And a few guys went with Metro PC and have everything for $50 not including the phone. If we do decide to stop paying for all the kids phones, then I'll seriously look at Metro but as of now, mom and dad will continue to pick up the tab for everyone as our gift to them...they're worth it.

I'll update the Sandman Chronicles about yesterdays trip and tomorrows when I get home after Ft. Myers. I have a lot of posts to go through in my other threads in Edmunds to catch up on. So readers, until tomorrow, I am...

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919
    Oh man, you get to go to the auctions too - even just cruising the parking lot would be fun, even if they won't let you in the door.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,567
    depends on the car, but there should be an Aux button of some kind on the radio, along with the usual FM/AM/XM. Or, just keep hitting the mode button on the steering wheel, and eventually it will cycle through to your stick.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,567
    A few years ago, I was talking to a guy that has a dealers license but mostly does private buys now (no lot) about getting a Volvo for me. I stopped by his house to look at the auction listing (it was at Manheim), and he showed my his streaming. The whole auction was on 2 big monitors. I think he could watch 4 lanes at a time on each one. Real time, so he could bid on anything running through.

I could have stayed there all day watching it. Much better than anything on TV.

I would love to see one in person some day. Just have to remember to keep my hands in my pockets.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

edited February 2013
    Funny what people like and dislike...I'm a auto tranny guy all the way, no manual for me! Luckily with my job, all the cars are auto trannys so I'm good to go. The best thing is we'll never know what we're gonna drive. That's the fun part for me...the anticipation! The cars or suv's are lined up in a row and one has to think fast to decide which one to walk over to and start the procedure in place when checking out each vehicle. The one guy who had a problem with me picking, in his words, "the best cars" has been settled...I was taken aback by this as I just went to cars that I personally wanted to try, I had no idea which one's are better or worse really. Turns out, we both like and want the same cars and he felt that I as the new guy should defer to him. Pretty high schoolish and silly to me but we talked and I explained my point of view to him and we shook hands and hopefully he'll be cool. I will just let him go pick what he wants and then get mine...don't want to upset the pecking order really...just want to drive cool cars!

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,890
    I like renting cars for that very reason. It's like Christmas morning for a kid. Sometimes you get skunked, sometimes you are grinning ear to ear.
    Was talking with my crew chief earlier and he told me that the company has a contract with Hertz, Dollar, Sixt and a local one named Fox. Hertz and Dollar are the ones who we do most of the work for which is great as they're so big. They need a tremendous amount of cars all over the state and we work when cars are needed at different cities and they don't have them. They call our company with a list of how many vehicles to move and to where and we just do it. Just from the airports that I've gone to since I've started this job, the drop off/pick up areas are huge with vehicles everywhere. Logistically it all seems to work pretty well but there have been some major screw ups which cause significant delays. Keeping one's cool is rule #1 from what they've been telling me. Since I'm the new guy, everyone is helping me learn the ropes and they've only played one trick on me so far otherwise, everyone has been great and the crew chief has already told me he likes my work and my eagerness to just get the job done in a professional and safe manner. He told me that from what he's seen, he can count on me to answer my phone when there is work and to show up with a good attitude. He wants happy folks in his crew who are willing to work when needed and are flexible time wise...he thinks I'll fit in perfectly which is great as I do want to work, am extremely flexible time wise and the extra $ is definitely great to have.

So all I need to do is plug the flash drive into the port and push the appropriate button and the music should start to play through the system I guess. Seems simple enough to do really as I've seen the usb port in some of the cars already. Having the sat radio the last few trips has spoiled me completely now. I know the VW Jetta's they have don't have sat radio so the flash drive should do the trick. Driving across Florida on the Alley is terrible radio wise so something like sat or a flash drive is imperative if one wants to listen to good music. Luckily I already have my flash drive for use in my laptop since my itunes account is on my desk top only right now.

Fin, I've had a perpetual grin on my face since I was hired for this great job! Just think...to get to do something you love and to then get paid $ to do it...how cool is that? And the best part is that I can work as much as they have work available. Even though this is supposed to be a part time job and I really wanted to work about 15 hours/week, got a funny feeling that I'm gonna have the opportunity to work as long as they have requests from the companies they service. The others have said that certain times are busier than others also...they worked 23 days straight in December, which makes sense. So the ball is really in my court here, I can work as much as they call me. And I'm learning to schedule personal stuff one day within 2 weeks so I can have the other days free. And we work 24/7 also, another good perk. Working weekends is no big deal for me at this point and now that we're in tax season, the wife is super busy so she told me to just go for it. If my spine feels o k, then I'm gonna work and if not, I'll take a day off to rest it. Now how cool is this job! :)

• houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,769
    Sandy, I understand how you pick up the cars and drive them to a certain place...but how do you get back? Do they run a shuttle or bus? Are you still getting paid on the return trip?

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460