Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Hmm only one set, no tires and no TPMS.

That would be a hassle. I will keep looking though.

I should place and ad there for a swap.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,579
    It took me a couple of weeks way back in 2007 to find the perfect set of Honda rims, I also looked at Acura wheels in the same size, 16", as I knew they had the same offset and would fit Honda products, same company really. Once I found the set I wanted, I just bid and finally won. It was the 1st time I ever did Ebay and online buying and made a mistake or two, like bidding against myself, duh! But with the help of some friends, I got what I wanted at a ridiculously fair price, as I was prepared to pay double for a nice set of rims. Didn't want to go after market as I had many many problems when I bought after market years ago as a local shop...they had a rough time to make things fit and then cure a vibration issue. After numerous attempts, things were smoothed out but it was costly and time consuming!

That's why I think it's best to get manufacturers brand and never, I repeat never do a plus 1 or plus 2...could be nightmarish! I really wanted to go to a 60 or 65 series tire for the greater sidewall and smoother ride but decided to keep it stock as I had rubbing issues with the other vehicle I talked about earlier...just not worth it. The extra $ is one thing but the added aggravation just takes all the pleasure away. My next vehicle is going to have alloys as original equipment and hopefully a power drivers chair. Not sure if the Elantra can be equipped with the power seat but will have to see. Right now, that model is in the lead for my next vehicle. Anxious to test the new Kia Forte and Buick Verano. The one I sat in at the Buick store was so comfortable though a bit pricey. I think it's the same size as the Elantra and my current Civic which is as big as I'd go. Handling is going to be the deciding factor here as I will probably spend the extra $ if the vehicle is that good. Spending a little bit more on something that will be kept for about 10 or so years is not a big price to pay. I no longer choose to settle just to save a few bucks especially at my age! And I deserve what I want this time!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,015
    It's really hard to tell how a seat is going to fit you in a 15 minute test drive. You have the perfect setup for testing seats over a couple of hours. Being able to compare with a lot of other cars is just gravy.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,602
    I agree about being leery of aftermarket wheels. Some are fine (and probably better quality than OEM), but there are a lot of cheap ones that are, well, crap.

Plus 1 is fine, as long as it was an OEM fitment. On the civic, there was usually a base model with smaller rims, so if you are just going from say LX to EX, no problem.

same on the Accord. The 4 cyl had 16", and the V6 had 17", so no issues fitting those 17" ones.

just make sure to check the overall diameter.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,200
    I've done a lot of seat testing lately. First thing I check is the degree of bolstering on the seat back and bottom. VW GTI was the worst for me -- way too narrow and firm. Too bad because I would have likely bought one. All the euro brands except Volvo [BMW & MB] were teutonic firm and stiff. Probably better for long hauls but they just didn't feel right. The LaCrosse was my favorite -- not much bolstering, supple leather, and medium soft. Didn't check Acura or Lexus -- once I test drove the Buick I was hooked.
  • You can get a pretty nice garmin for $100. Even if a smart phone is free, that's only 2 months of service charges for the same amount.

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,579
    Absolutely, and I'm finding some more comfortable that others. Must say the Spark I drove yesterday was surprisingly good. When I got to the meeting place just before the Sunshine State bridge, I had no problem getting out or even walking around the rest stop. We all meet here and cross the bridge in a caravan and then into the airport. Yesterday was unusual because we were going to a regular Hertz location that no one had been to before. The guys who had their gps through their smart phones or regular units got there with no hassle. Since we all had the wrong driving directions and exit numbers, I who had no device for help, got utterly lost and had to get on and off the expressway. Stopped at a tire store and turns out I was going he right way. Without my cell and the boss literally talking me in, I would have had major problems. Luckily the car charger from Amazon came in a few days ago so I was able to plug it in and keep phone contact. In the future, i will make sure to either have a smart phone or follow someone else...I can keep up if the traffic is cooperating.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

I've used that tool quite a lot,

Did some research and while the stock size is 205/45R17, apparently the SUV-like fender gap allows for much taller tires, up to 215/65 on the same rims.

That's a little nuts, and the odometer would be way off, too. 65 are what my minivan takes, too.

I might go with a far more reasonable 215/50 though. They're about 5% over but add about a half inch of sidewall. And you can get high performance tires in that size.

So I think I will do that. I have some tread left, but if that slow leak I had a while ago comes back it would be the perfect excuse for new tires.
    edited February 2013
    My sister had an '00 New Beetle for seven years or so. When I first rode in it from VA to TN I was afraid how the trip was going to go because the seats were so firm. But they were very comfy the whole way (about a 9 hour trip).

It helps being "average" size too. My Outback bothers me after a couple of hours, but most cars don't.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,023
    edited February 2013
    I guess it's all what you are used to; I have BMW sport seats in my 3 Series , Recaros in my 2002, and Mazda "sport" seats in my 2007 MS3. I prefer any of those to the standard seats in the X3 or 328i- not that they are uncomfortable, but I like substantial side bolsters. Having said all that, the seats in my 1999 Wrangler Sahara are very comfortable for cruising- even for a 1-2 hour stretch. No side bolsters, but then I'm not going to be pulling many lateral gs in it either.
    Mazda softened up the seats in the 2010 MS3 and I don't like them at all; the leather seats in the Abarth I drove were also very nice.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

Kia sent my wife an offer for a $25 visa gift card for test driving any new Kia. Perfect timing.

I did her the "favor". :shades:

I walk in and there is a Turbo/Limited in the show room, panoramic moonroof and all. Niiiice car, of course it's $35k. It's a demo so asking price was $31k, not too bad.

Napa leather, perforated, heated and cooled, wraps even the dash. Roof is lovely. Nav screen is average size, but sharp. UVO has lots of gee-whiz stuff for the techie in me. Seats are very comfy. Pillars wrapped in fabric.

Cons? I don't need the turbo, which is less reliable than the base engine. Paddle shifters are nice but you actually lose the heated steering wheel. Chrome wheels are tacky and oversized.

I chat a bit and ask for an EX with the premium (pano roof) and the tech (Nav) packages. Sans turbo the asking price plunges to $29k. The pillars are plastic and you lose the paddles on the steering wheel, but you gain a heated steering wheel and better mpg. It also has heated and cooled leather, heck even the rear seat base is heated.

Forget any stereotype you had about Kia being cheap.

Engine is peppy, trans works in harmony with it. A little noisy when you floor it but nothing objectionable. Ride/handling is biased towards a good ride, with 17"s it rides quite well. Blind spots are so so but the backp cam is excellent and you get one even without the Nav package.

I can usually come up with a list of complaints but I will admit I was stumped. It checks every box I wanted. It's just a bigger car than I need.

I wish there was a 5 door model, or a Forte 5 door with that pano option.

Big thumbs up to Kia, though.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,937
    And it's not as overstyled as the Sonata.
    edited February 2013
    Was curious to try the baby Prius c, so I drove next door to take a spin. I had to adjust my expectations because I had just driven a car that cost 50% more.

I hop in, and instantly I no longer need deodorant and my flatulence is odorless. :D

I like the "just right" size. Passenger space is impressive for the exterior size. Cargo room also for that matter. The Scion xD seems one size smaller.

Moonroof is small. Leather ain't leather in this case, but it's heated and comfy. Entune was simple and found my house, but you can't program it on the move, even the front passenger. Most OEMs are like that, I guess.

Engine was ice cold and it was at 10mpg when I took over. Should have zeroed the odometer, oh well. Drove off and it's a smooth transition from EV to gas and back. BMW needs to learn how to make a smooth start/stop from this $18.6k car. Badly.

It rides well for a small car, accelerates ok. I got it from 10 to 30 mpg in a couple of miles, and it was still climbing fast. Geeks will love the charts you get - I was over 50 mpg for 4 of the 7 mini trips, which it breaks each time you stop. Would be easy to get over 50mpg in this.

I do like the small size, but ... this is an economy car with an economy price. It's only $2 grand or so more than an equipped Yaris, and EPA says you get $600 back per year in gas savings, so you break even in a little more than 3 years. Worth it....

...if you are poor. Lucky for me I'm not poor.

It drives well, it's just not plush in any way. It's a good cheap car.

$18.6k for a 2, or $20.4k for a 3 which has Nav and Entune.

Honestly the base model makes more sense to me. For $18.6k from Fitz there isn't any new car that is significantly better and none will beat the mileage.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,122
    Good write up. Bold move foregoing the turbo for the base engine. I'm impressed.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,937
    Does the 18K one really have heated pleather? My friend has the middle model - nav and wheels but no sunroof, and cloth seats which I am pretty sure aren't heated. He bought it in GA though, maybe a regional thing.

Just don't take it on roads that move at 60mph or more with hills...it's a useful car for city people, but for many drivers would get tiresome quickly.

Maybe engine size is a part of start/stop roughness? C has a 49cc scooter engine, right? Could probably pull start it with fishing line :shades:

The insanely high wages for tenured lucky people in the DC area might give a different outlook, but poor people couldn't dream of a 19K car.
    Kia sent my wife an offer for a $25 visa gift card for test driving any new Kia.

Was that from a sign-up at the auto show?

All I got was a Hyundai tote bag.
    I mentioned earlier I had not driven a Prius since the year the Gen II came out, so while I was at it...

This is a much more substantial car than the Prius C. It is roomy and comfy front and back. The cloth is plush and the A-pillar is nicely wrapped. The "leather" is better finished than the C.

Off the line, it feels much quicker. You get instant response from the electric motor, and the gas engine gives a nice boost and you're gone. This is NOT a slow car, blame the driver if you're ever stuck behind one.

I drove it like I stole it and still got 36mpg over a couple of miles with an ice cold engine. It rides well, handling is ok (better than expected).

Visibility is good and the Nav has a nice backup cam, the C did not.

Overall, better than expected. More to the point, it's a much better car than most enthusiasts are willing to admit.

I'd pick this over the C, even a used one.
    My GPS says my average speed is 20 mph.

200hp seems like enough for that! LOL
    18k is two tone cloth. I liked it. 2 was in the showroom but I drove a loaded 4.

I rarely go fast but I'd still fell better surrounded by a more substantial car.

My Miata is light but feels substantial.

1.5l in the C isn't small for its class. I just think I will shop one class up, even if it's used.

My first job was near minimum wage and I earned scholarships and worked my way up so you'll get no apologies from me. :P
    My wife will look up the link for that test drive offer, Steve.