Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,946
    edited February 2013
    The way owners like to hack their Prii, I bet some import the bigger tanks to the US and finagle them in.

Hm, Yakima doesn't have any clips for a Prius v roof rack. That could be a deal killer. Ah, Thule does but I'd have to buy an entire new rack instead of just getting new clips. Only $425. Oops, the keys to keep that expensive rack from walking off adds another $60. :P
  • You can do an M50 swap for about $2K. Less if you do the work yourself. Very few other mods required. That's an extra 50 HP... And, you are still 100% BMW.

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Yeah some of those hacks are nutty. Like blocking air flow in the grille.

If we see fried inverters we'll know why.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,584
    edited February 2013
    I wanted one of these really bad when I graduated college, but it was just a bit out of the price range. Should have just done it anyway.

this one actually looks pretty nice, and cheap enough. Lot of miles, but hard to tell what parts have the 245K on them!

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3607522968.html

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,584
    now this one looks like new. Not sure why anyone would want one, but if you do, looks pretty nice for the money.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3595654641.html

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

Driver's seat doesn't look so new....

Still, says something when the seat is worn out and the car still looks that good.
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,100
    I believe you an buy a Spark in Canada as it's not just for the rental fleets. I saw one on the road and it looked like a squished version of the Sonic. Kudos to GM for investing in small cars though as this will be the future.

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

I bought a set of 16" Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires for our E90 BMW for $700 off Craigslist. Not only were they used only for 1 season but they were also runflats, came with stock BMW rims, and TPMS sensors. It was just a bolt on job for me that took an hour (had to use jack from older BMW as my E90 doesn't even come with a jack!). The retired guy who sold them got rid of his BMW and didn't need them anymore. The funny thing is he never mentioned in his ad that these were runflats or had TPMS sensors.

Our stock runflats were wearing out anyways so I needed to replace them. This was a smoking deal as our dealer quoted me $430/tire plus mounting/balancing/taxes to replace the all seasons. :surprise:

I have BMW sport seats in my 3 Series , Recaros in my 2002, and Mazda "sport" seats in my 2007 MS3. I prefer any of those to the standard seats in the X3 or 328i- not that they are uncomfortable, but I like substantial side bolsters.

We have the sports seats in our 07 328 as well and they are among the best seats comfort and support wise compared to any car I've driven, even Ferraris and Maseratis (those are supportive but not as comortable). Even sitting in a non-sports-seat 3 series I feel akward and like I'm sitting on a park bench. :surprise:

• Sport seats in my 3-series, as well... both of them.. :)

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,002
    "This was a smoking deal as our dealer quoted me $430/tire plus mounting/balancing/taxes to replace the all seasons."

I read somewhere that many dealers are charging more expensive hourly rates instead of flat fees to mount and dismount RFTs. Apparently, it's very difficult to mount and dismount them without damaging the rim.
    That's why when winter's over I think I'll buy a set of aftermarket rims with normal tires for the 328. Maybe I'll lower the car an inch or two while I'm at it, hoping my wife won't notice :blush:

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,907
    Visited the local MB dealer today. They have the most loaded E550 I have seen to date - virtually everything possible including designo, MSRP within pocket change of 80K. And more interestingly, a black on black 13 E350 Bluetec, pano, etc, 58K MSRP - lease it 24 months 3700 down, 489/month. Seems cheap. If they are having specials already, there could be some deals before the facelift hits the street (dealer said you can special order a 2014 right now). Nothing else of note, but disturbing that a normal non-AMG SL550 is over 120K.
    It's getting to a point where if you have to ask the price...you can only afford to lease.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,015
    I don't think the Kia's cooled glove compartment was common.

I think GTIs had/have a cooled glove box- and my 1988 M6 had a cooled console compartment- complete with its own thermostat and evaporator coil.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

You can do an M50 swap for about $2K. Less if you do the work yourself. Very few other mods required. That's an extra 50 HP... And, you are still 100% BMW.

I know, I would like to keep it a four banger; I should have installed a Downing Atlanta supercharger kit before they quit selling them...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

edited February 2013
    I bought a set of 16" Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires for our E90 BMW for $700 off Craigslist. Not only were they used only for 1 season but they were also runflats, came with stock BMW rims, and TPMS sensors.

That's a great deal! I paid $1319 for new BMW Approved 16" LM-25 Blizzak RFTs, TPMS, and Sport Edition F10 wheels from Tire Rack:

The F10s use the BMW lug bolts and even accept the OEM center caps. Only the most die-hard Bimwads can tell that the wheels aren't OEM.

The 17" stock wheels had summer Continental RFTs, which were a bit of a surprise. Whoever mounted them went crazy with an impact wrench; I broke a 1/2"-3/8" adapter trying to remove them. I bought a 1/2" breaker bar and a 1/2" 17MM impact socket and finally was able to remove them. As for a jack, I have a 2 ton Craftsman floor jack-made before the Chinese got the job- as well as a lightweight Snap-On "racing" floor jack and jack stands. Best money I ever spent for fleet maintenance chores in and around the garage

That's a great deal too, for new wheels and tires!

Ha that's funny. When I was removing the stock 17's off my 328 they seemed to be stuck to the hubs even after all the bolts were off. I had to wrestle with each wheel for a good 5-10 minutes just to pull it off.

What I like about the 16" vs the stock Conti 17 RFT's I had on is the ride is much more comfortable and it's easier to steer, and since my wife is the one driving it she actually likes the smaller 16's more.

M6 doesn't surprise me but GTI? Cool (literally).

I never would have cared though recently I've kept sports drinks in the car as the kids often forget to take them to practice/games.

Heated steering wheel was funny the first time I felt it working.
  • jpp5862jpp5862 NCPosts: 297
    The heated steering wheel is one thing I miss from my Jeep. It sounds silly but you really get used to it.