Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,170
    I am having trouble convincing the wife that I somehow "need" a nicer/newer car for me to use. I have now had the Integra for roughly 2 months, and put gas in it right around new years. I still have almost 1/2 a tank, and it is not a particularly big tank! I think in total I have put about 170 miles on it since I bought it.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108
    Something like the old Benz wagon I know I couldn't flip so I'd have to keep it for a while. It was never my intent to buy the Accord wagon to flip it but I couldn't resist :shades:

I think it even might make a bit of sense to bring in a G Wagon from the US as some are priced in the $30k range but it's a bit of a risk too.

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,296
    Congrats. Where did you get it? The last time I looked at VW's the only dealer in Kentuckiana with a remotely competent service department was Clapp(now Swope).

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

I am having trouble convincing the wife that I somehow "need" a nicer/newer car for me to use.

My wife is the exact opposite. I only need to find something I like and can afford...
    Just for giggles I'm going to check out the ST and the FR-S.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• breldbreld Posts: 1,252
    Congrats on the GLI - I am very fond of those. Pretty much all the quibbles folks have over the base Jetta are addressed with the GLI model, with plenty of power to boot. What color did you get?

2011 BMW 535xi - 2008 Audi TT - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,412
    speaking of VW road burner, I totally forgot to tell you this. I know you have issues with the service intervals or lack thereof when it comes to the VW's DSG transmission. I asked the VW sales guy when I helped my friend lease her Tiguan a few months back about any "fried DSG trannies." He said they most definitely had issues the 1st year, but VW corrected the problems and warranties the DSGs for 100K miles.

I'm interested to hear corvette's experiences with his new GLI. I like the idea of the 40+ mpg TDi, but not the torsion beam rear axle that comes with it. The GLI is still rated at a respectable 33 mpg on the highway with an independent rear suspension. Load up a GLI with DSG & Autobahn Pkg though and it costs the same as my BMW will when the lease is up. Any car is going to have to blow me away for me to not buy another BMW.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,078
    I have had bad experiences at both Bachman and Huffman, so I went to Swope. They were very low pressure and I'm impressed with the way they treated me. They were able to locate the car I wanted and get it here in a couple of days.
    "Platinum grey metallic" or what I would call dark grey. All GLIs have a black interior with a black headliner. It's a great color (one of about six colors they offer on the GLI).
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    corvette - congrats on the GLI. Am curious about your impressions of the DSG; I've been leery of them myself.

And - thanks for updating the punch list!
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,509
    edited February 2013
    I bet you could flip that wagon if you sold it in the US - but you'd have to handle the import work.

A 10 year old G-wagen with a big V8, who knows what kind of maintenance, COMAND 2.0 (aka a relic), would be a gamble. Do people want them up there, with the price of fuel? I was thinking in the great white north, people could just get 6cyl or diesel imports.
    I have had bad experiences at both Bachman and Huffman

When I was looking at a new GTI mit der DSG there was a lot of talk over at VW Vortex concerning how many dealers did not know when/if the DSG needed service. Just for fun I called Bachman, Huffman, and Clapp and only Clapp's service department knew about the DSG's 40,000 mile service interval.
    Bachman VW told me that the DSG was a sealed unit and that "Everything is done through the computer."
    Neil Huffman? The first person in service who picked up asked me what a DSG was. I was transferred to a second person who stated that there was "no recommended service" for the DSG.

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    edited February 2013
    I was so excited!

I hate to say it, but you may end up a little disappointed, given your high expectations.

Lower priced cars are so good today, you tend to get diminishing returns the more you spend.

Not that they aren't great cars, but...you might spend 50% more to get something 10% better.
    quibbles folks have over the base Jetta are addressed with the GLI model

Indeed, they don't even feel like the same car.
    edited February 2013
    It's very plainly spelled out in the maintenance schedule. I did not inquire as to the cost, since I have at least 2-3 years before I'll hit the 40k mark (if I still own the car then :P ). I know the fluid and filter alone is about $150. The procedure doesn't look that complicated and I think I would trust a competent independent mechanic to do it.

I installed a permanent lead for my Battery Tender on the fuse block last night, and came very close to touching my ratchet to the (grounded) fender while it was spinning a nut on one of the positive 12 volt leads! :sick:
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,251
    I've heard the 40k trans service is around $500. I'm sure there are VW indy shops that might be less. Close to a set of tires. Been on a prius forum -- some 200k milers on the 2010. No issues -- oil changes and tires. Brakes are still fine and the battery pack going strong.
    Speaking of VW DSGs, a local place here has a 2011 Golf TDI with only 15k miles, with an asking price that's quite a bit lower than any others out there, at $18,975. Sunroof, but no nav (I think for 2012, those two things are bundled together).

Coincidentally, it's the same place I bought my 530i from.

Tempted to check it out, but that tends to lead to a purchase, and I'm having fun checking out all the choices :) . In my mind, I want a comfortable car with some utility, that gets good, if not great, MPG. So, hatchback or small SUV. And I'd like it all for somewhere in the $ teens, perhaps low $20k's.

Mazda3, Elantra GT, Golf, Focus, CX-5, CR-V. SUVs offer a bit more utility, but are obviously more costly.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,591
    Sounds like Saugatuck Shores. I lived well inland, Westport/Wilton/Norwalk line area. Family moved from NYC in the mid '60s. Great place to live, if you can afford it (Westport in general)! But, like anywhere, changed a lot since I was a kid there. Main St. used to be a Main St. USA, now it's a mall. The Mobil gas station became a "Limited" store with studio condos above!

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

I am specifically targeting a slushbox for this next purchase, but I can't help but take an interest in something like this:

Passat TDI manual

Credit VW for offering it - wouldn't be surprised if they stop doing so in future years.

edited February 2013
    $18,975. Sunroof, but no nav

That's cheap. New they run about $28k, though as you mentioned that includes Navi nowadays.

Add a Garmin and you're good, for 2/3rds the cost.