Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Dunno, $50k 5 series now have 4 bangers. A brand new 6 cylinder model would also cost more than that 500 mile demonstrator.

I drove a 535i sedan and then a 550GT and having sampled the V8 I'd say get that one. Why else would you get a BMW? The V8 is so much more responsive.

For $55k I'd pick that very lightly used V8 over any other 5 series. Well, except a wagon.
    For example, would you rather have a V8 BMW for $55k, or:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/15/2014-acura-rlx-first-drive-review/

$61k for FWD, 272 lb-ft, and 6EAT in an Acura?

In this day and age that is a steal for $50s pricing.
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,100
    Oh boy, the RLX will be another black sheep in the mid size luxury segment. Who puts FWD into their top of the line luxury sedan? Even Hyundai figured it out that you need RWD to be a serious contender in this segment.

:confuse: :confuse: :confuse:

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

It's not even that.

For low $40s, nobody would blink.

But SIXTY ONE GRAND!?

They've completely lost their minds. And that's not even the AWD model.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,900
    Well, we're comparing new to new, right? A low mileage CPO S550 etc can be had for the same price as a new Equus, but some don't like that comparison either.

When used, V8 is fine as it doesn't seem to command any premium over others - and might be easier to negotiate, probably less mass market demand.
    When I worked at Hyundai that's what most people (ok, the handful that actually looked at the Equus over a 6 month period) compared them to, - a pre owned S Class or Lexus LS.

I actually had a comparison chart done and the Equus Ultimate (with the 4 seats, massage, etc...) had more features than a 760Li or an S550 for about half the money.

But realistically if I was in the market for a car in this range ($72k CDN) I'd just go for a CPO Benz or Bimmer. The Equus is a perfect car for realtors or companies that want to chauffer their people around in complete luxury but without having to outlay a ton of money (relatively speaking) to do so spend a lot of money on maintenance.

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,002
    That's insane pricing on the new Acura. It would be understandable for them not to offer a V8 if they offered a nice turbo V6.
    edited February 2013
    Those headlights, can't be unseen. And the whole thing is just so boring - why would I choose it over a GS? I thought the TL was the big Accord - this even looks like a big Accord. I am curious to see how it performs in AWD mode vs other AWD competitors. That's where it has the greatest chance to shine.

I predict maybe a couple thousand sold (to brand loyalists) initially, then sales ending up where the RL left off.

Oh, and "PAWS"? Funny.
    Sadly, it lacks the design and status desired by shoppers in that category. It's too anonymous, and the badge doesn't have such cred yet. The high model stickers around 65K here, and I can buy a lot of gently used luxoboat for that.

I have to wonder if there are any non-publicized leases available to it for corporate users. The consumer lease deals I have seen weren't amazing.
    Yeah I agree, and like you said in an earlier post, a few will sell to brand loyalists and that's it.

I never see anyone I know aspiring to drive a RL.

Well, we're comparing new to new, right?

The V8 Bimmer had 500 miles...I know it's a slippery slope, but that seems more new than CPO to me.
    I don't mind the headlights, pure function.

AWD should have been standard, if only to get away from the Accord comparisons.

PAWS sounds like Jaguar's name for all wheel drive.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,002
    "PAWS sounds like Jaguar's name for all wheel drive."

Good one! :P
    edited February 2013
    But also 2 years old. I hope it wasn't sitting outside, untouched, for 2 years.

Regarding the RL, yes, AWD should be standard. It needs something to differentiate itself other than odd eyes.
    It's a used bargain - you can get a pristine 05+ one here for around 20K, lots of bang for the buck. But a big Accord for 60K, not such a bargain.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    Not to mention that you'd have to put up with that hideously ugly car. That has to be the worst grille design in the last few years. :sick:
    Hmm.

Not new.

Not used. Not CPO either.

Call it Unused? :D
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,893
    edited February 2013
    As far as I know, it would be sold as new and carry the warranty (and maintenance) as such. By the time those expire, anything that would have suffered sitting around for 2 years would probably be taken care of on the factory dime. So i say new. ;)

HOWEVER, I will point out that the nicest used one to go through auction had just 2k on it and sold for $48k. So you are still paying a premium on this car to buy "new."

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

Untitled, perhaps?

Man, why aren't these Bimmers being driven at all? 2k miles?

Couldn't afford the premium fuel? :D
    2nd set of tires ordered already this year.

After test driving several competent cars, but none as fun as my Miata, I decided to buy...

New tires!

I didn't like the stiff ride over the awful potholes here, plus the SUV-like fender gaps in the wheel wells. So I did a bunch of research and found 2 people running a bigger tire size (what I want), and a 3rd running a much bigger tire size.

My stock size was 205/45R17, but there is also a 215/45R17 factory tire. I purchased 215/50R17, same as the 2 folks mentioned above.

So I'm 4.9% oversized, 0.4" more sidewall. But...the difference is only half that compared to the 215mm size, and that's within the +/- 3% industry tolerance for tire size variation.

I stretched a bit, but didn't go too crazy.

Tire Rack has a close out and that prompted me to order them now. Shipped to a local shop for mounting hopefully next week. Will take before/after pics. I hope these fill out the wheel wells a little better than the tiny looking OEM rubber.