Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• steine13steine13 Posts: 2,411
    Fezo,
    Congratulations on the 6/stick/wagon -- quite a find.

I believe that's a V6 -- a friend was interested in these and said there's a nasty problem with the PCV system; something about a valve clogging up, or the oil pick-up clogging, and in the medium term, bye-bye engine.

It sounded like one of those things were forewarned is forearmed, so you may wish to check one of the fan sites and see whether there's anything to it. I really like those as well. What keeps me from Mazda up here in MI is their tendency to rust -- aside from the fact that, like Nissans, they are fairly thin on the ground.

One of these days I'll get my Outback, but I'm really not sold on the need for AWD.

Good luck with the Six. FWD wagon FTW!

Cheers -Mathias
  • breldbreld Posts: 1,252
    You were certainly right about that backseat. At 6' 3", I need all the seat travel possible in the driver's seat - in the Impreza, the back seat still had reasonable room for the kids in back with the driver's seat all the way back. In the Focus, the front seat was practically touching the back seat.

My wife, who has a dislike for Subarus, actually likes it. What she really likes is the tangerine orange XV Crosstrek :) . Too bad the XV gets 3 MPG worse than the Impreza - how can that be? Just ride height?

2011 BMW 535xi - 2008 Audi TT - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

• fezofezo Posts: 9,328
    Congrats! I love the 6 wagon- wish there was an MS6!

You and me both!
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,225

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,250
    Breld, Your ship has come in. You can now be the proud owner of a Jetta Hybrid which from all accounts drives like a euro sedan. High MPG and around 30k. Not a hatch but it has a large trunk with fold down seats. That's the good news. The bad news ? It's a first generation Hybrid from VW --- what could possibly go wrong with all the extra technology ?
  • breldbreld Posts: 1,252
    edited February 2013
    I do like those - haven't driven one, but looked at one in the VW showroom recently. I believe, like the GLI, they put some of the nicer materials into the hybrid. And the "SE" model, with an MSRP of $27k, would be fine with me. They have a $25k model, but it's special order only.

First gen hybrid from VW would be a great candidate for a lease, no?

2011 BMW 535xi - 2008 Audi TT - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,165
    I thought you were holding out for my BILs S2000?

Reminds me, need to check with him to see what ever happened with that. I know I can't afford it!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,250
    Based on the high resale of the TDI, it might make more sense to buy -- keep the miles low and sell it in 3 years.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,508
    And today begins a new chapter in my automotive history:

Count me as punched...
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,626
    I need new front brakes and was told that metallic pads are the way to go for less brake dust and better gripping capacity. Is this true? I plan to use my guy at Tires Plus as Midas always up sells me stuff i don't want...it's frickin' annoying but, I think Midas has a lifetime guarantee which might be the better way to go. Can I request metallic pads over what these places usually use? I don't think they use metallic without a request but I have no idea. Please advise as the brakes arer making grinding noises on a hard stop and I drive on 95 daily now!

T I A guys!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

O M G!!! It's stunning Fin, absolutely awesome!!! Now I really want my C Class! Congrats on this new addition, I think y'all will be very happy!

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• WOW!

Very nice!

Gonna share the details?

Model?
    Drove a 2013 Ford Escape with a bit over 14k on the clock. I will relate the driving experience another time as I am so happy with Fin's new ride, I want to concentrate on that tonight. Leave for Orlando at 7 so I'm gonna call it a night. Hoping to get something really fun tomorrow! Found out the Jetta don't have sat radio but still want to give one a whirl. Today I lucked out as the Cruze I stopped at was wanted by a nice co-worker so I let her have it. All of a sudden they drove up the Escape and stopped right in front of me so I said...sure! the guy behind me in an 2011 50k mile Camry tried his best to get me to switch but I declined his offer. Turns out it was the right choice...it's sat radio had been disconnected and he said it drove well...old! I know i got the better deal here and I was pleased with the Ford!

P.S. Got my new smart phone last night as the guy had gone to another store to get me this phone. It's an android, a HTC ONE VX...a very nice easy unit. I've been playing wth it all day and love it. Almost got the iPhone 4s but decided I wanted the newer tech and the phone cost me 1 cent...the iPhone 5 was mucho dinero. The Windows phone that my wife has, a Samsung Focus, is o k but I don't like the tiles Windows uses, was very confusing for me. I'm having an easier time with the android system. A treat for myself for going back to work after so long!

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,989
    lol, you really did it? Congrats!

(better than a bike too. :shades: )

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Very nice! Enjoy it!

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

Thanks. E350 Bluetec. Took advantage of a lease on the outgoing face 2013 models. Last week I saw a special for a P1 pano car, $489 month before negotiation, 24 months, 3700 down, 58K MSRP. Seemed too cheap. I had been thinking about a Bluetec for some time, so today I went in to see if I could get a price I liked. I guess I did :shades:

This car has P2 (keyless go, adaptive lights, auto close trunk, etc), pano, parktronic, lane tracking, power outlet, tiny spoiler. The last few things I didn't really want, but I am picky about color (I wanted white or "diamond silver", which is kind of a bluish silver) and pano - had to take what was available.

MSRP 63K. 3500 down, 24 months, ~560/month. There's an E facelift coming for 2014, so they are blowing them out. I also got Edmunds TMV for my trade (took a little work), so I'll be getting a nice check.

It's kind of a wasteful splurge, but I just had the itch. I also was thinking it was time to cut the cord on the old car - the longer I have it, the harder it will be for me to sell. I'm feeling OK, at least until the first payment :shades:
    Thanks. I think I will be happy too. I like the diesel purr and the way it seems to kind of engine brake at some in-town speeds. It's somewhat of an odd car, which is something I value.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,367
    Looks nice. Would like to hear some mileage reports later on.

Barrier, I'd guess?
    Finally, haven't bought a car since 06.

The bike thing is funny - I will be getting a check that would buy me a nice bike. But I doubt I will now. The traffic is just scaring me too much, and now I will have an expense to distract me.
    Thanks!

Oh yeah, my first new car, too. Not a bad way to start, I guess :shades: