Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• ronsteveronsteve Posts: 435
    But of course! 6 cyl and a moonroof. Can't beat it. I've wanted one for as long as they've existed!

Yeah, it's a shame that the new 6 wagon isn't coming to our shores. The pool of cars that I want keeps shrinking! (Not that I need it to expand!)

Having the same problem with a shrinking pool. Need the cargo space of a wagon or hatch (and a bigger one, as hatchbacks go), and want 3 pedals. My V70 only lacks a 3rd pedal, but is doing well otherwise as it approaches 110K.

Congrats on the addition of the 6! I looked at a 6 hatchback once, but wasn't quite feeling it at the time. If I had it to do again... between that 6 and the WRX I was looking at just before I went for the Volvo.
  • ronsteveronsteve Posts: 435
    I can't fault you at all fin tail. You made the right move. You owned the car for a while and it was time to part ways. I'm sure you'll LOVE the diesel's torque. I had a BMW 335d a few months ago when my 328xi was in for service and I LOVED the way the diesel drove. If they'd have somehow offered it with X-Drive, I'd be planning my purchase right now.

If they put the diesel in the wagon, I'd be all over it. For now I'll just hope that VW is still selling TDI SportWagens with 3 pedals when I'm ready for a new ride.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,004
    That one has rear parking sensors, which is an unusual option on the E90. I'm on my second Jetta and my second Altima (both are different model runs, though), so it's not always bad to do the same thing twice.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,004
    edited February 2013
    "If they put the diesel in the wagon, I'd be all over it. For now I'll just hope that VW is still selling TDI SportWagens with 3 pedals when I'm ready for a new ride."

The current Jetta SportWagen is based on the fifth-generation Golf, but has had its styling updated to make it look like the sixth-gen.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    What she really likes is the tangerine orange XV Crosstrek

I like that one, too! The color looks great, but overall the visual balance of the car is just so much better than the Impreza Sport.

There was quite a bit of work that went into the aerodynamics to eek out that 36 mpg on the Impreza, and the extra clearance and cladding on the Crosstrek takes its toll.
    I figured there must have been something going on for so many posts over a two-day span....

Congratulations! Looks like it will be a very nice ride for you.

--

After reading through later conversation, I want to say your E55 is an '04? I cannot bring myself to think of an '04 as old. :(
  • jpp5862jpp5862 NCPosts: 297
    Congrats fintail!! Beautiful car and that's a great deal, plus you got all the tech you wanted and then some. I think you'll be very happy with your decision.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,585
    Ron, if you really need the size/configuration of the Volvo, the only other option off the top of my head (besides the jetta) is the Sube outback, which can be had with a 6 speed stick still.

what other options are there? A mythical BMW 3 series wagon? Could be interesting if they would put a stick in the X1, but not likely to happen.

Can't think of any other choices new.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,912
    edited February 2013
    Thanks.

The old car was an 02 - still hard to believe a car of that age and those looks is "old". Technology has advanced several degrees since then, especially compared to the decade before 02. The gadgets in the new car are like something from the future. I am happy just to have the radio presets and homelink set up.

Took it out for about an hour, just to cruise around town. It rides much plusher than the old car, and I really like the low speed engine noise - I might be sold on diesel already. I rolled down the window in the parking garage just to listen to it. Fuel gauge didn't move either.
    I was in heaven taking it for a drive this morning - pano shade open, heated seat on (around 40F out, cooler than it has been lately), radio set up and working - it is a relaxing drive. I think I might even be irritated less at other cars, being in a less hyper car myself.

I went to the dealer to drop off a part for the old car, and they laminated the window sticker for me, as they knew I'd like the keepsake.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019
    Congrats! Me, I'm looking for something a bit more manic; I have my wife's E90 and the '02 if I want a more relaxing drive.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

edited February 2013
    The fintail was the more relaxing choice vs the E55, but over time I realized I enjoyed myself in the old car. The E55, while a great car, was maybe too easy, and at the same time seemed wasted on weekday driving conditions here. The diesel seems to have more of a link to the old car. Maybe I am not meant for something too hyper - or so hard riding. I got rid of my old C43 because the go-kart quality ride irked me, the E55 felt like a Caddy in comparison. The new car is on a cloud compared to that...but probably still taut compared to a stock Camcord.

If I want something crazy, a bike is always lurking in the back of my head :shades:
    I like my old cars, too. They all serve their purpose. I'm not sure I would have been displeased with a go-kart style ride, though! I really enjoy my Fiesta.

Actually, I just found out last week that Ford finally committed to the Fiesta ST as a 2014 model (should be available this summer), so now I'm struggling with whether to be practical and keep my Fiesta or just live a little and get the ST. :blush:
    I get tired of dodging every manhole cover and rut - maybe I am tired of low profile tires. Either way, I am driving a medium barge now, so that's in the past. It's kind of a little of both worlds - the diesel gives some mechanical involvement, but the ride is nicer.

I saw a Focus ST being test driven yesterday, that might be fun.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019
    I saw a Focus ST being test driven yesterday, that might be fun.

I've looked at one; ford has joined the option bundling herd. You can't simply order HIDs and/or heated seats- they all come in one big package with a number of things that I don't want. At least they don't make you take a hole in the roof...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

Yeah, that turned me off to the car as well. At ~30K for the thing with the upgraded seats (which was really the only upgrade I would have wanted) bundled with every other option you can get on it, no thanks. I could get a WRX for that, and have a much better car for the world in which I drive.

I'm still waiting on Fiesta ST pricing before I get too excited. Plus, I'm terribly practical, and I might not convince myself it is even worthwhile. I sure would have fun with it, though!
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,578
    Had this today for our jaunt to Orlando...nicely equipped but a base car I think. Sync'd my iPod and it was outstanding...they must use good speakers as it did sound pretty neat but with the aux cord, one has to work 2 different controls...a bit pointless and redundant. The seats were comfy with nice fabric inserts and though they were manually adjustable, I was able to find a good driving position and adjusted as necessary. It was a titanium color, works on this car but the radio needs a major update folks...felt like a 90's car and 90's tech...no usb port that I could find! Liked the slightly raised driving height and this is a vehicle I could definitely live with as a d d...another eventual contender for Sandman's final vehicle! A pristine brand new 328i drove past our van and I was plastered to that window...everyone was curious and I explained...the car guys got it while the others looked confused!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• gouldngouldn Posts: 213
    I do the ccba thing a little different than many on this list. I buy one car to keep a long time, and keep a second (sub 10K) slot open that I swap in and out. Well the 'keeper' slot is due now because I just rolled past 200K on the primary car .. a 2001 Forester.

So in looking to replace it, I want something that can carry a bike (inside), has an AT, handles well, and gets at least OK MPG, as it gets 18K miles per year in traffic. Price wise I'm flexible, but I'd like to keep the OTD to $35K or less. I could go new or used, but since this is the 'keeper' I'd want it to be no older than two years old. Off the dealers I went.

The Subaru dealer doesn't have the 2014 Forester yet, but I liked the looks of the XV Crosstrek. I didn't drive one because of a time conflict, but that one's still on the list to try. The Toyota dealer was surprisingly low-pressure and friendly ... I was prepared for the worst. I test drove the new 2013 RAV4 XLE, and a Prius V (II). The RAV was a very competent car .. the steering was a little soft, but not bad. The car was exceedingly easy to drive and park with the backup cam (my current DD is an 01 ... LONG before backup cams). Overall I liked it .. it was a little noisy on the freeway, but quieter than my Forester.

The Prius was interesting, but in the 'eco' mode that car is quite gutless. I don't really care TOOO much about speed, but this was painful. You could push the 'power' and it would merge acceptably, but I wonder how much MPG you'd loose. The handling isn't horrible, but better described as 'strange.' On the plus side, parking was easy and visibility was pretty good. The cabin is airy, and the materials were of an OK quality. The front seat folds flat and makes almost a lounge/bed for the passenger ... although I'm not sure what I would do with this feature. I really wanted to like this car because of 40+ MPG, but I don't know if I could deal with all the quirks.

Next ... on a whim ... I stopped by the Lexus dealer to see what they had slightly used. Instead I found myself test driving a new CT200h. That was a nice car ... it was not fast with the Prius drivetrain, but interior was very nice, the stereo sounded great, and the handling was wayyy better than the Prius. However of course, this car is small and I cannot see getting a bike in there unless both wheels were off. Also this one stickered at $37K, and even if I could score it for 33.5 or so the used alternatives at that price range are compelling.

That was enough for one day, so I still need to try some others. I'm really scared of VW's, but if I could get over my perceived reliability qualms, I'd like to drive a Jetta TDI. I still need to make time to try Subarus and I'd like to try a Mazda CX5 with the larger engine they just began to offer. Unfortunately the Mazda dealer closest to me is awful. Last time I went there the salesman was like stuck record: "I'll make you a HELL OF A DEAL" over and over ... meanwhile we didn't even get to drive the car on the highway. I may skip that brand just because I don't want to deal with that dealer again.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,578
    For a car lover, these two words are the "kiss if death"...once these variables become part of the equation, one's screwed and won't follow their heart as their gut takes over. I know this first hand here...I lust for a sporty fun car but those words only mean $ signs so the practical and logical parts take over and the rest as they say, is history. I will need to fight this on my next purchase but it's lucky I've got the job I do as I can scratch my itch almost every day. Have been having a problem with the Civic for about 2 months now...every time I get in, the little hair I have left on top always touches the roof, had me wondering here about what's wrong. Since it was on the cooler side today, decided to put the windows down on the highway and as I looked over, I saw it out of the corner of my eye...the headliner is coming down...the glue is no longer sticking in most parts! Damn, another thing to get fixed! And I hit a rather large rock the other day and knocked out my alignment and the 3 year policy ended 12/12/12. So now I need to fix things and give up a whole days work! Oh well, such is life!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,107
    I think I might even be irritated less at other cars, being in a less hyper car myself.

It's almost scary how alike we think Fintail. When I'm in my 328xi, I'm in complete autobahn race car mode. Someone in a GMC ACADIA or 1989 TOYOTA CAMRY is riding people's rear end for no reason it drives me crazy. In my wife's Pilot, I am perfectly content with the cruise set at 65 in the right lane.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation