Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,287
    edited February 2013
    I'm trying to keep my next purchase under $25,000- but if I was going to pay close to $30,000 it wouldn't be for a Focus...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,409
    I'm with you Roadburner. My next purchase (September 2014) is going to be in the $20K - $30K neighborhood. I'd like to keep it closer to $20K, but we all know how that goes;)

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    The most I've ever paid for a car is $23,000, which was for my current Forester. I don't plan to break the $30K barrier any time soon.
    Yeah, I know Sandman.... it's a frustrating juxtaposition! The practical side always wins in my decisions, though. Although, what I deduce as practical is not the same as most peoples' books. :P
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,509
    It's that potential ability to go out and just pass the idiots, if you could get the space. In a slower car where such things aren't possible, the issue goes away. I think softer suspension does something, too.

Speaking of cars - visited with my friend who is leasing a Prius C. I rubbed it in that he is paying half of my rate, but is less than 50% as pleased. He is talking about getting out early - how many moths of payments would that cost?

And something funny about the rollerskate - he finally got his local plates, and has to mount a front one. The C has no bracket or mount - you simply drill a hole in the bumper (!) to attach the plate. Cheap.
    That's for sure. There are so many options out there that can fit the bill, it's tough to sort through them all.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,509
    Are there many car enthusiasts working with you?
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,367
    Interesting post. I think you and I are looking for the same thing in terms of purpose; I'm a 'bike inside' guy too. My preference is AWD. The 14 Forester sounds promising but it would come down to how the CVT drives, and if the road noise is improved as they claim; my 06 was noisy. I'd want the XT if I were going to do it.

I've looked at the TSX wagon (cargo area no good due to rear well intrusion, tight headroom) and even the XC70 (really soft springing, no rear seat room which is weird given its size, slow but dealer didn't have T6). I'm still looking around.

I secretly like the Golf R actually, but after reading about the exploding water pump issue on vortex (not just one or two, but happening to many), I think it and VWs in general are out for me.

Anyhow, curious to hear your take on whatever else you look at.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,287
    The most I've ever paid was @$28,000 and that was for our 2004 X3 CPO back in December 2005. Of course we still have it and hope to get at least 3-4 more years of use out of it, so I suppose we're a bit ahead of the buyers who spend less but then go and buy a new car every 2-3 years.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• jpp5862jpp5862 NCPosts: 323
    I'll be in a similar position at the end of the year when my lease is up. I can buy out the G37x for about $32k, and while I'm content with the car I'll definitely want to check out other things in that price range which opens a lot of possibilities.
  • jpp5862jpp5862 NCPosts: 323
    Definitely interested to see how you like the diesel over time. I've always been intrigued by them but there just aren't many options outside VW in my price range.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,409
    Our Pilot cost somewhere in the mid - upper $30s including tax. I figure it is a 10 year vehicle minimum. I figured the Pilot is an investment in my family.

As you know, my BMW is leased. The lease buy out is somewhere in the upper $20s. I'm going to use that as my basis for lack of a better word when I start car shopping in the summer of 2014.

I've only owned/leased new cars since I got my license at 16. That's most likely to change with my next ride. I'm going to look at my lease buyout, possibly buying another used/CPO E90 328xi, 335xi, '07 - '10 X3...

In 3 years, our Pilot will be paid off & it will be nice to have just 1 car payment.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,078
    The lack of an automatic is a deal killer for me on a daily driver. Otherwise, I would have test driven the Focus ST.
    I think the Rogue is the oldest vehicle in Nissan's fleet other than the pickups, and it's starting to show its age.
    "I secretly like the Golf R actually, but after reading about the exploding water pump issue on vortex (not just one or two, but happening to many), I think it and VWs in general are out for me."

Wow, I just googled that. I'm glad my GLI has a timing chain. Some of you might remember that the timing belt tensioner on my dad's Beetle TDI locked up shortly after the dealer replaced the timing belt... I guess my bad memories of that ordeal have faded, since I gave VW another chance.
  • breldbreld Posts: 1,252
    It's that potential ability to go out and just pass the idiots, if you could get the space. In a slower car where such things aren't possible, the issue goes away. I think softer suspension does something, too.

Yeah, speed was never a high priority for me. I just wanted enough power to be comfortable passing when needed, to safely make left turns, etc.

Then I got the 335. :)

Now I'm a bit more aggressive, cause I can be. Drove my wife's 328 wagon the other day and found myself missing the pull of my car. How quickly I have been spoiled.

2011 BMW 535xi - 2008 Audi TT - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,367
    edited February 2013
    I guess my bad memories of that ordeal have faded, since I gave VW another chance.

Which is totally reasonable, since there seem to be a lot of people that haven't had any issues with their VWs. As for the Golf R, as it sounds like you've read, the failure rate on that assembly seems consistent and high. A few have needed engine replacements. Too bad, as I like the car's mission of being refined/adult WRX.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,168
    It is nice having the "hot rod" power in our new RDX, but it really is overkill. Maybe it is a regional thing, but I would say that in the last 20 years, I have had occasion to pass on a 2-lane road maybe 5 times, at most. And my wife most likely would never do it.

frankly, you could put a rev limiter at 3K on that car, and I might never know about it. The only time I ever go over that is to give my daughter a thrill, since she likes to hear the growl!

I found the NA 4 cyl in the Santa Fe to be more than peppy enough for normal use, and I am sure if it was needed, I could pass a slowpoke in it.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The XV does get a bigger fuel tank. I doubt real world MPG will be 3 mpg lower, to be honest. A lot of cars are optimized to get good numbers on the EPA cycle, which helps sell cars.

Autoweek tested the whole fleet of 40mpg queens and only 2 actually got 40mpg at 70mph (VW TDI and Mazda3 SkyActiv).
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    but I had the windows up the whole time

Good sound insulation. ;)

Also, turbos mellow out the exhaust note, so that balances things out.