Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,890
    Yikes. Short spark plug life, and the tires make me wince - although given the size and profile, not too surprising. Guess you gotta pay to play :shades:

The new car has runflats, which many loathe (no spare, thanks to "bluetec" occupying the tire well), but the sidewall height makes a world of difference compared to the old low profiles. I bet they'll last more than ~22K miles, too.
    Nope, but I prepaid the maintenance into the lease - half price if you do it that way. So either way, I am pretty much just making the lease payment and fuel, as tires and brakes should be OK for 20K miles. The peace of mind is worth something. E55 had been solid for the past few years, but I was always a little worried about it coughing up a window regulator/suspension part/transmission etc. Insurance is equal, gas might not be huge as I don't do a big mileage, but the tech is worth something. Drove it to work early this morning, headlights are amazing.
    edited February 2013
    I only did 10K/yr - I live close to work. I will make up the rest with road trips.

We'll be getting the E250 next year, the C250 seems like a no-brainer - I hope. Smaller and lighter, so quicker - cheaper too.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    No, only the 2.0 comes with a manual, I believe.
    The new car has runflats, which many loathe

Interesting - Sienna owners hate them.

How is ride quality? I'm guessing M-B would engineer the suspension to accommodate that.

Also, what about replacement cost? Won't be cheap, then again neither were the AMG tires I bet.
  • michaellmichaell Posts: 4,300
    Can the 2.5 be had with 3 pedals?

No - only the FWD Sport with the 2.0 SkyActiv engine can be had with a stick.

However, the Mazda automatic is actually a nice transmission ... does drop down a gear without prompting under specific circumstances.
    Compared to the relatively harsh E55, it rides like it is on a cloud. Seems identical to the gas E350 I drove months ago, which had conventional tires I think. I bet they are cheaper than the $1300 set the E55 needed a few years ago
    I dunno, run flats on a Sienna run $800+ a set, and I'm sure yours are better and more expensive.

A co-worker just spent $1030 on tires for an A3. Ouch.

Mine were $360 installed but I got a close-out deal. :shades:
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,011
    Interesting - Sienna owners hate them.

Ditto for a large segment of BMW owners. That said, my wife's 3er came with Conti run-flat summer tires. When I bought winter tires and wheels I chose the BMW Approved Blizzak RFTs. The ride may be a bit more brittle than with "go-flats", but not to an objectionable degree. The jury is still out with respect to wear of either set.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

edited February 2013
    Sadly, I don't even remember what model of tire is on the car :shades: Only 17" wheels though. Hopefully in 20K they will still be fine. I don't see the ride quality being a problem. It's not a sports car.
    17"s...so I'm sure you actually have some sidewall. Rare nowadays. :D
  • michaellmichaell Posts: 4,300
    edited February 2013
    17"s...so I'm sure you actually have some sidewall. Rare nowadays.

The CX-7 has 19"s .. fortunately, with 28K on them they still seem to have a decent amount of tread life left.

I'm figuring about $1K for a replacement set when the time comes.

EDIT - Discount Tire offers 9 different choices (235-55/19). Starting at $200 per tire and going up to $304/tire.
    Yikes. And sadly that's not nearly as high as it goes nowadays.
    Sidewall, I don't mind it. I'll still dodge manholes and potholes, but normal bumps and ruts won't kill me.

The wide rears on the E55 were ~$350 apiece, before installation.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,476
    At 21,000 miles plus, I can not tell for sure
    if they will need to be replaced before
    lease end.....
    They ride OK, given 40 & 35 series Z-rated,
    as well as runflats.
    - Ray
    $1,400+ at tirerack.com
    I'm hoping that's for the set. ;)
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,476
    Yes, set of 4 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP ...
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,194
    Buy a cheap tire gauge or stop at a tire store and you can tell what tread is left. Remember, a month before your lease is up, you can check with other dealers on the best turn in deal. Some may want to charge you for tires and some may want the car as is if it has good resale potential.
  • jpp5862jpp5862 NCPosts: 296
    I did 12k on my lease and even taking the car out west this summer I'll still be under. I work from home so my around town miles are very low.

I'd love to see the C250 come over but sounds like it won't be here by the time my lease is up.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,093
    I've got almost 19K on my BMW Continental Run Flats (17"). I'm happy so far. I don't think the ride is overly stiff at all. Just right actually.

The Run Flat Tire Technology has come A LONG WAY. My Mom had an '08 E90 328xi that she constanly complained about the car's harsh ride.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation