Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    RB - I'm lucky in that the local MINI dealer (only 2 total in Colorado) has been a pleasure to work with.

They are, however, a no haggle dealer but don't charge any sort of P&H fee. They also own a Honda and BMW franchise and have a great reputation here in Denver.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,301
    RB - I'm lucky in that the local MINI dealer (only 2 total in Colorado) has been a pleasure to work with.

That's the way I feel about my local BMW dealership. The Fiat dealer is in the same dealer group(and I know a couple of the VPs) so I'd hope that would make things easier if I did have a problem.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    That's the way I feel about my local BMW dealership. The Fiat dealer is in the same dealer group(and I know a couple of the VPs) so I'd hope that would make things easier if I did have a problem.

So what's stopping you from pulling the trigger on the Abarth?
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    Oh, I don't know. I like driving my '69 Econoline in the curves, but I'm not sure that "fun" is a proper description. It does get the adrenaline going, though. :D
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,509
    The dogleg gear setup would be interesting. Underrated car, could become collectible within a decade or so. 10K should be enough to buy a really nice one, not huge demand for them.
    Yep, I saw that. They are dreaming - maybe trying to eek out a profit after the healthy trade in price. I talked to my salesman, who fully expects it to be unsold after 45 days, where the employees will get a chance at it.
    I bet the Rolls gets even more looks than the fintail (and that's saying something) - it cost maybe 3x as much new, worth maybe 3x as much as a mint fintail now, so I guess that's not bad.

I've had my car since I was 18, bought it in 1995. Taking it to an alignment shop tomorrow in preparation for new tires - old ones date back to the Clinton era.

Here it is with my beautiful old W126:

The C43:

And the E55:

By European standards, a fintail was a large car. In the US, "intermediate", maybe like a Fairlane/Malibu/Studebaker. A C-class is closest in physical size today, and the new E feels more like my SWB W126 in size.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,496
    That is another very cool series of pictures.
    Thanks!
    - Ray
    No pics of my cars going back to when I was 18....
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,301
    So what's stopping you from pulling the trigger on the Abarth?

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to pay for it- plus, I want to file my taxes to see if I owe anything... :(

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• jpp5862jpp5862 NCPosts: 323
    All great pics and neat that you have these photos. You should hold onto the old fintail as long as feasible, such a great car.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,079
    "I'm just trying to figure out the best way to pay for it..."

PenFed has a 1.49% 60 month loan (anyone can join) and Park Federal Credit Union in Louisville will do 1.99%. There's just not a huge incentive to pay cash anymore.
    It's a good old car - has a million needs, but like Mr. Burns, they all kind of cancel each other out, and it keeps running. I have no logical reason to keep it, but I am sentimental and I like driving it.
    My family documented few of our cars over the years, so I didn't want to make that same mistake. I also only buy something if I really like it, so I am proud and take pics.
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108
    That S Class looks nice and clean, euro bumpers (I think), good color, clear corner lenses. I bet your new E is even bigger than your old S Class if parked side by side.

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

That W126 was pretty gorgeous, I loved the color. NA bumpers but Euro lights - I now feel kind of dumb about those corners, but at the time (10+ years ago), they seemed to make the car look fresh. I agree, the new car is about the same size and probably weight too. Everything has moved up a size, which might make sense as to why we are getting the CLA.
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108
    CLA looks decent but with Front Wheel Drive it's a bit of a turnoff for me. I bet for the same money you could pick up a nice used CLS, probably AMG package too.

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

I am not sold on small cars with trunks - if they are too small, they just look weird. If we had a normal A-class hatch, I would find it more attractive. A250 diesel could be a hoot.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,010
    edited February 2013

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    Nice series, for sure! Hey, where's the fourth one?!

I should have done that with all the various rigs I've had during my tenure with the '69 Econoline, but the problem is that none of them were newer versions of itself, so what's the point? I do have a fun one from when we were first building the house. The year was 2002, but the vehicles in the photo were all from the 1960s, so who's gonna know? :P