Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,943
    Funny thing. Immediately after typing that, I hopped in the car and went back (dealer is under 10 mins away in normal traffic). They probably think I am crazy, but did see the flaws, and say they will order another - and it is indeed painted locally. Hopefully this will be better. I am pleased with the paint on the car itself - I went over it very closely the other day, and found only the tiniest flaw, which would be hidden to a normal person because of the white paint.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,047
    Paint to match stuff can be really good; the dealer just needs to get an experienced person on the job.
    The color was fine (the white is pretty standard) - my problem is the finish. I am expecting the new one to be acceptable. I could deal with a flaw, just not 10 or 20 of them (there are that many).
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,602
    Sandy, odds are even if it is something more than a gas cap, if the car is running normally, you can just ignore the light for a while. Somethings might be vital, but not always.

you will probably end up needing to fix it anyway, since selling a car with the CEL on is much harder, and slaughters your sale price.

So get it checked, and let us know.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

edited February 2013
    The paint is usually easy, it all comes out of the computer pump gizmo. It's the prep and application that's key, and that boils down to the person doing the job. My friend in the truck canopy business had a gem of a painter and the truck caps he did looked factory or better than OEM. A couple of other guys he had were okay, but sometimes they had to redo stuff.

Sandy, lots of auto parts stores will pull codes for free. If you get a code, that can at least narrow the issue down to the system that's reporting the problem.
    If the benz is some kind of pearl color, that can be a nightmare to match right. Especially in white.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

edited February 2013
    Yeah, there were always a few colors, even in the F-150 or Silverados that the cap store saw that were tougher to do. But a good shop can likely manage fine. I always enjoyed watching them put the paint code in the dispenser machine and seeing the color come out. Seems like they used a PPG system. They could do small quantities to match mirror housings and other small parts.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I had two pearl white cars and both needed a little body work. The body shop allowed extra hours to blend it properly. It is a three stage process (at least on Toyota's "Blizzard Pearl")

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

blending in is the key. And exactly what you can't do on a stand-alone piece like a gas cap lid.

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,007
    "91 was the year the LTC got the 4.6L. It was a big step-up in power."

But it may have had teething issues.
  • Subaru has a really nice pearl white, which is surprising. I've seen it on a new BR-Z and a new STi.

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

edited February 2013
    The tricoat stuff does sound tricky. (terrys.net)

Good thing Fin's new ride is a diesel so he won't have to fill up and look at the fuel door more than once every other month. :D
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,007
    "blending in is the key. And exactly what you can't do on a stand-alone piece like a gas cap lid."

Yup, the front bumper on my white metallic Altima was repainted before I bought it. The color is slightly off and it's chipping along the bottom. Not worth the headache of paying to have it repainted (which probably still wouldn't make it completely right).
    It's a non-metallic white, I know they can match it. I just want the finish to match the car. Over the weekend I went over every panel gap and piece of paint - everything is fine save for the fuel door. I trust they will get it right this time - a normal person probably wouldn't have complained about the first issue. But, first new car, I am OCD, etc.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    edited February 2013
    But it may have had teething issues.

The early 4.6s (91-92.5) were unique in two ways. One they actually are referred to as "[non-permissible content removed] blocks" they have different bellhousings than any other 4.6 models. They will mount up to an AOD transmission where the 92.5+ have a different bolt pattern for the AODE and later 4R70W.

Second, they did have valve stem seal issues once over 100K. It was a relatively simple repair and will stop the cloud of blue smoke.

The 4.6 also earned some bad press in the late 90s/early 2000s when Ford decided a plastic coolant crossover tube on the intake manifold was a good idea.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    edited February 2013
    Subaru has a really nice pearl white

My buddy's dad bought a Legacy in that color, it really is quite nice.

Edit: Satin White Pearl is the name.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,279
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,100
    Yeah for sure get it repainted, or if the next one is not up to par, ask them to pull one off another same colored E Class assuming that one won't be warped either. :shades:

It's not like you bought a used car or some low end of the market polymer bodied Saturn, so don't feel bad about being OCD about the fuel cap.

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

I bet I will have the new part by Friday or Saturday - I will inspect it before I drive off. I hope the car has no other issues - they will eventually get tired of seeing me :shades:

Overall, I am pleased with the fit and finish of the car. I went over it very closely over the weekend (gave it a rub down with cleaner wax and then a coat of Meguiars NXT) - all panel gaps are excellent, only one tiny paint dimple to be found - it could easily have escaped scrutiny. Inside, everything is perfectly assembled.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,030
    Just take one home. It will take ages before Hertz figures out they are short one.

Back in 2007 I covered the the US press launch of the then-new 3 Series convertible for Roundel magazine. It was held in south Florida and I had what is called a drive-away- a press loaner which I drove home and would keep for @10 days whereupon a transport company comes and picks it up. The company usually calls a couple of days before picking it up- usually on a Friday for a Monday pick-up. Friday comes and goes- no call. Finally on Wednesday I call BMW NA's press liaison and ask him if he's ever going to pick up the car. He tells me that he forgot I had a car and that they wouldn't be able to pick it up for 6-10 days. Which is how I got to drive a 335i droptop for 3 weeks- even before they were released to the dealers... :D

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica