Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    I like that one, too. Its also the cheapest for some reason. But it says "pending" on it, which I assume means sold.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• ohenryxohenryx Posts: 285
    I can't think of many affordable (under $25k) cars that I would even replace the 135 with. I'm not going back to FWD and I'm not going back to anything with 0-60 over 5.5 secs. Also needs a livable back seat. And I'd want it to have under 45k miles. The lower the better, of course.

Interesting. Why no FWD? (pause for thinking) Any car that will do 0-60 in under 5.5 seconds would have to be very powerful, so you’re concerned about torque steer? And exactly how do you define “livable back seat”?
    edited May 2013
    I've found I prefer throttle-induced oversteer. ;)

Well, the back seat of the 1-series is just enough. Anything smaller would be difficult.

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'd wait to see the new one. Should use half the gas.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,101
    Q....Fortunately I haven't been in the finance office in awhile. I wasn't aware that they take into account the vehicle being traded is coming off the credit report during a trade.

In your quest, I've always been a fan of the WRX. Then again, if it were. My money, I'd be jumping on that Jag. ;)
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,174
    well, I guess if your BMW is not reliable enough for you, the most logical solution is to slide over into a used Jag.

nothing could possibly go wrong there, right?

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

edited May 2013
    Yeah yeah yeah.

But, seriously, have you heard anything consistently and tragically bad about the XF?

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,174
    well, no but I have not paid any attention.

I do remember some early road tests (or LT tests) where they had some electrical gremlins.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,591
    edited May 2013
    Consumer Reports has pretty well blasted the XF and XJ overall reliability-wise. However, here on Edmunds, other than their XF SC developing some rattles, they've had no issues. If you buy a British car, you should not be surprised or disappointed by electrical gremlins. As I haven't been.

Under warranty, I've had the Audio Control Module (AM radio went bye-bye) replaced and the Nav system replaced. When inputting an addy into the NAV, it would reboot. Other than that it worked fine... Both plug and play repairs I was told, but still mighty glad for the warranty. Which, of course, has now expired.

Also, an issue with the AC condensation backing up into the passenger footwell, the outflow tube was too close to the exhaust system, it melted shut. After the fact, I learned of a TSB or recall, can't remember which.

Other than that, what a wonderful GT: Beautiful, smooth, quiet, powerful, (enough for me), good handling and sort of economical-ish. The "back seat" is in name only, although I have had four in the car a couple of times, three being children. But, I didn't buy it as the family truckster. For that, we have, well, a family truckster. And, fairly exclusive, I usually don't see another XK coupe on the road in my neck more than once in a very while.

Q, if you're serious about an XF, and I would be myself if/when I have to grow up, I'd look for one with some warranty (CPO) left, just in case. The XF really has been well received by most of the auto rags I read.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

I am serious about it. As soon as they came out, I figured I'd be looking for one when the used prices fell far enough. Then, of course, they updated to the 5.0, and now i've been waiting on those.

I'm just not sure now is the time. I'm still debating. At ~$28k, it is still a tough nut to swallow for me personally. Not that I can't afford it... but do i want to? All of my own cars have been at that $24k limit. The wife has had the more expensive ones.

The other option I'm pondering is to sell off the bimmer and save that car payment for a while. I'm just not sure how long that would last. We all know me. ;)

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,420
    Have you thought about a slightly used Mustang with the "track pack?" Those have got to be in your $24K wheelhouse or at least they will be after Memorial Day;)

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• 28firefighter28firefighter Posts: 584
    I may know someone interested in selling a 2011 Mustang GT Premium 6spd with Brembo Package in the Philadelphia area...

:-)
    I know your Dad is trying to ditch his GT Mustang, but if I know q, he's going to want a 5.0

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

2011 should be the 5.0, no?

And, yes, I considered it. Freehold BMW has one, conveniently enough. But, I just can't get over the stigma that its a Mustang. Not that I necessarily have anything against it... but I'd have a hard time coughing up over $20k for one. And I know my wife would be against it.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Posts: 584
    edited May 2013
    It is indeed a 5.0. Black over saddle leather interior.

I hear you though - it has a very specific market. I may be stereotyping, but that market is not you, Q. Not to mention, the backseat is worthless.
    I stand corrected. 2011 was the 1st year of the 5.0, with 412 hp? Then didn't they do something in 2012 to give it 420 hp?

nice color combo.

I really do drool a bit over the new ones ... but I'm more of a buyer at like $15k for a pony car. I mean, when you are talking real close numbers for a Mustang 5.0 vs an XF 5.0... its not much of a choice as far as I'm concerned.

Just cruising the sites and came upon this short-term GTI lease. Pretty darn good deal for someone.

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    That GTI lease takeover looks pretty good. Too bad it would take me a month-and-a-halfs worth of miles just to drive it back to Colorado.