Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,150
    I forget again when the Fiesta comes out, but that actually sounds like a reasonable option (from the reviews I read) and a bit more functional than the Fiat, while still having the rorty fun factor.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,395
    I see Honda just lowered their FIT EV price to $259 + tax. Includes maintenance, collision insurance, & a home charger (which you must pay to have installed). 82 miles per charge (claimed by the EPA). Unlimited miles! I think my 65 mile per day round trip commute to work would be cutting it a little too close.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

what, you don't want to run out of juice 6 blocks from the store? Can't imagine why!

could certainly work for me as a spare car to have around. I just don't need one that bad.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

Ha! I can just see that conversation with my Dad.

"You're late. What happened? Wait, don't tell me..." As he shakes his head

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,640
    Not bad.. premium package, leather, bun warmers.. no xenons, tho..

We looked at an '05 with 109K miles, a couple of months ago.. Similar, stick shift, but with xenons and a roof rack.. not as nice, cosmetically as this one.. asking $13.5K.

At 11K asking, seems decent..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

I have a 33 mile r/t commute. That would be perfect, if
    I needed a car..

• if I needed a car..

Does anyone on this thread ever NEED a car when they buy one? :-)
    Lease is up in 17 months... shopping hard... ;)

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,250
    Only leased one car. I swear that I was already thinking what to get next in 6 months. Drove me crazy knowing there was a finite period of driving it. Got out after 2 years and now own both vehicles which has redirected my ocd to focus on other stuff.
    since I have had my car just about 51/2 months now, and have put something in the neighborhood of 500 miles on it, I could probably charge it once a week and be fine.

if anything, I am the perfect person for one of these, though at this point, I am trying to downsize the fleet.

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,467
    edited June 2013
    Only leased one car. I swear that I was already thinking what to get next in 6 months. Drove me crazy knowing there was a finite period of driving it. Got out after 2 years and now own both vehicles which has redirected my ocd to focus on other stuff.

A "chronic" car buyer's worst enemy is leasing! If I wanted to reduce (note the words wanted to) the number of cars I acquired, I would lease instead of buy my cars. Early termination of a lease can be quite costly. When I leased vehicles, it was like going on a strict diet - no sweets, few carbohydrates, etc. I couldn't wait for the lease to be up so I could get something brand spanking new!

So, if I decide to become more frugal - keep a car for a few years - I would lease my cars.

Posters to this forum are, for obvious reasons, much more likely to buy their cars rather than lease them.

Any disagreements?

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,367
    Yeah, in the past decade, the vehicle I kept the longest was the one I leased. Haven't leased since. :blush:

I think I could be tempted by a good 24 month lease, on the other hand...
  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,467
    I think I could be tempted by a good 24 month lease, on the other hand...

Yes - I leased a 1991 Mercedes 300E for 60 months (only way I could afford a Mercedes way back then) and actually kept it for the full 60 months. I put 60,000 miles on that car - had no problems at all with that car. Drove as good on the last week of the lease as it did when I first got it.

As for leasing in the future, I agree - a good 24 or 27 month lease could tempt me as well. Mercedes does at times offer 27 month leases.

I leased a Ford Taurus back in 1989 for 24 months on a Red Carpet Lease. It seems as I get older, I like a new car more frequently.

My 2014 Mercedes E350 Sport Sedan is one I will keep until the 2016's come out. 2016 is the year they are doing a complete redesign on the car. The only reason I bought a 2014 was because they made some significant sheet metal changes and technology improvements for 2014 on the Sport model version. The Luxury version had very few changes - there is a significant sheet metal and grille difference between the Sport and Luxury versions for the very first time in the history of the E Class.

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,076
    I really liked the 24-month lease on my Audi A4 (it was a fantastic deal and I would do it again in a heartbeat if they had another similar lease program). I knew I would be in the market again in X number of months. That was good enough to satisfy my CCBA impulses. Admittedly, that impulse doesn't run as deep for me as it does for some of the others on this board! :D
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,147
    As others have said, I think 24 mos would be my limit. That's still 6 months longer than any of my last 5 daily drivers. :blush:

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

One of the things I like about my BMW lease is that it is relatively short, 30 months. For those 30 months, I'm allowed 50,000 miles which keeps me within the free maintenance/warranty period for the life of the lease.

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,501
    I'd think a 24 or so month lease would be the CCBA's dream - an excuse to get another car every other year. Unless you buy at the end of the lease, of course - I don't know if the inflated residual is stuck to by the dealer, or if they will sell for real world money.

I'm still not sure what I will do at the end of my term. I like the car, but who knows what might be out by then, or if I will want to keep a car payment on the payroll.

In a completely un-CCBA direction, my grandmother has now announced when her license expires this year, she is not going to renew. She said this 5 years ago, but now that she is within sight of 90, I think she means it. Guess who will be in charge of selling her car...anyone want to buy a 10 year old Taurus with 50K on it? (most mileage from my uncle when they go visit my mother).
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    If I were to lease, I think two '2' year leases would be perfect rotating every other year. So, every year you get a new car! :blush:

M156
    in 2011, I leased a Z4 for 24 months... flipped it to a friend after 30 days.. :surprise: