Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,652
    The only downside (well, other than not having the budget) is that the car is at Sweeney's in Cincinnati.

Pretty sure we can work with that.. ;)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,508
    edited June 2013
    Not a car, but a local bike dealer got a couple Honda CB500 series bikes in, and I looked at them yesterday. I like what I see.

Debating whether I'd want the F (naked) or X (kind of a dual sport/street hybrid) more - I don't think I'd want the faired version. I rode a dual sport last weekend (an older Yamaha with a very touchy throttle and loud non-existent exhaust system), my first time on one - and I was surprised how comfortable it was, and easy to do precise maneuvers.
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    I figure that, for me, any BMW will be sporty enough even without the Sport package.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,148
    Personally, I found the non-sport seat unbearable.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

When the 1-series was first introduced, I took a test drive of one. Can't remember if it was a Sport edition or not, but didn't find anything to complain about regarding the seats.

The car I test drove was an automatic; am thinking the stick shift would be more engaging to drive.
  • breldbreld Posts: 1,252
    I haven't driven one myself, but that 128i, particularly with a stick, should be plenty fun to drive. We drove up to Ft. Collins over the weekend for their "Taste of Ft. Collins" and took my wife's 328 - I drove back home and thought to myself how fun it is to drive that car. I like the pull of my 335, but there's definitely something engaging to n/a inline-6 and a stick shift.

If you like the non-sports seats Michael, it would certainly be a nice option for you (whether it's that one or you find one local).

2011 BMW 535xi - 2008 Audi TT - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

So I've had like 5-6 legitimately interested buyers on the 530i, and only one has been local. I've had callers from California, Tennessee, Vermont and Maryland. The latest is from Vermont - seems really interested and tentatively plans to fly out with a friend the first weekend of July to drive it back, assuming we come to terms on the price.

We'll see - I'm not surprised this has turned into a long-distance sale, but those always provide some challenges. Though the 318ti was an out of state sale, and it worked out just fine.

but there's definitely something engaging to n/a inline-6 and a stick shift.

I have test driven a 3-series coupe with a stick and was amazed at how much pull there is from "only" 230HP. Just so smooth.

I know that many folks don't like the odd proportions of the 1-series, but I think that's part of the attraction to me. I think it will be the "odd man out" as time passes - the next gen 1-series will be FWD, and the direct replacement (2-series) will most likely be larger, heavier and have less feel than the current car. And, will probably have the turbo-4 rather than the inline-6.

And, the 1-series is only available in RWD, which limits the appeal in those parts of the country who have to live with poor weather part of the year.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,078
    "I have test driven a 3-series coupe with a stick and was amazed at how much pull there is from "only" 230HP. Just so smooth."

I think kyfdx has said that BMW uses bigger horses than everyone else. :P
    I can't take credit for that, but I'm sure I've repeated it.. ;)

Mine got a short-shift kit on Friday, and new struts, tires and alignment, today (along with control arm bushings)..

Total bill for everything was nearly $3000. :surprise:

Yes,
    I really, really like this car...

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,078
    Congratulations! How do you like the short shift kit, new struts, and tires?
    Mine got a short-shift kit on Friday, and new struts, tires and alignment, today (along with control arm bushings)..

Total bill for everything was nearly $3000.

I suspect you'll enjoy the car for many many years now that you've done a few upgrades.

My BIL still has his 330i ZHP (I think it's an '05 or '06). My nephew just got his permit and my sister told me he'll probably inherit it at the end of next year, when dad will get a new (or newer) car for himself.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,099
    Sweeney is relatively close to me (and my preferred BMW dealer). LEt me know if you want someone to check out that 1 Series for you.
    The short-shift kit is perfect... It's the BMW Performance Kit (you'd think the Performance Package would have this, but no...).

I picked it based on reviews from other ZHP owners... I was a little worried because I didn't want to ruin a good thing, but it's really, really nice... throws are about 20% shorter while shifting effort is only up about 5%... Old shifter was notchy in a good way, and this one doesn't seem any different..... A win all around..

Only have the 20 mile ride home on the struts and tires... so, not much to say there.... Old tires were worn out... so, tramlining is gone, and seems to handle expansion joints and bumps a lot better... Have to get everything worn in a little to really tell about the tires (Michelin Pilot SuperSports with Koni FSD struts)

My son drove it last night... I'm sure he could tell you things I don't want to know.. :surprise:

• rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,496
    I drove the BMW north to a couple of my favorite hiking spots in North Georgia – West and North of Helen.

I have not driven the Tail of the Dragon, but there are 2 roads of particular note in this area that I think are worthy of driving by anyone who enjoys that sort of thing.

They certainly are not as ‘famous’ as the Tail of the Dragon,
    but they are really fun, surface well maintained, and in my experience - not nearly so much traffic as the Tail....

1 = route 11 / 19 / 129 around Desoto Falls.
    and
    2 = route 348 around Dukes Falls.

Excellent.
    - Ray
    Also, nice hikes . . .
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,990
    Lots of fun roads around there. One friend of mine would take me cruising in his Karman Ghia down that way back in the 70s. I bought a canoe in Helen one year (and plenty of grits at Nora Mill - Helen's too busy of a place now though).

Had planned to drive down to Amicalola Falls in 2 weeks but conflicts arose.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,405
    A friend of mine competed in the BULL RUN last week driving his 2013 ///M5. He ran "The Tail" as part of one of the routes. He loved it!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

One of the July issue car mags (Car & Driver, I believe) has a section on the best summer drives in the country, and even recommends the "best car" for each drive (i.e., a Shelby GT500 for one particular drive, an Audi TT for another, etc.).

I'm thinking of keeping that issue and maybe making it a "bucket list" type thing to drive each of them (they ranged all the way from California out to the east coast).

Or, maybe a more challenging bucket list would be to take it to the next level and actually purchase the car they recommended for each drive. :P

So, I'm completing the sale of my 530i later today - to my mother-in-law.

She was interested when I first mentioned I was selling it, but I sort of warned her off of it, thinking a sport suspension, stick shift BMW wasn't necessarily the thing she was after (perhaps a Lexus, or Buick). She decided to hold off for other reasons anyway, but they went car shopping over the weekend and decided, for the money, they'd much rather have our 530i than anything they looked at (can't really argue with that).

So, I knocked $1k off my lowest price for the "family" deal and only half-jokingly claimed a first right of refusal if she ever wanted to sell it in the future.

Had to tell the interested party from Vermont that it sold - he's disappointed and I feel a little bad, but we never finalized anything. After pointing out there were other examples nearer to him for less money (then why not buy those?), he finally tentatively agreed on the price I offered, but said he'd get with me at the end of the week about some "favors" he was gonna ask for at that price. In that e-mail he even said he hoped it would still be available by the end of the week, so I took that as he wasn't committed yet.

Anyhow - we'll be down to 4 cars after today, but I should have some visitation rights on the 530i. :)

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,405
    Nice! Congrats on the sale of your 530i to your mother in law. Down to 4 cars? Time to go shopping & punch that CCBA card!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation