Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    tifighter said:

you turn it into a yard ornament.

So you can start planning...
    Autumn Moss--my favorite color.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    stickguy said:
    this is a nice looking S60. Certified, so another 2.5 years warranty (unlimited mileage). Got the required options and light interior. Black is not my first choice of color though. but price is pretty good . https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/748964453/overview/
    At least its not black inside.
    need to knock off at least $1k. 

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    kyfdx said:

I have a 24 year old, that still isn't totally independent (though, he did move out on October 1st ;) )

Mine turns 24 this month. So far he's very happy with his job and his apartment. He calls us several times a week just to check in.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,556
    mine turns 23 in 2 weeks. Next month we get to help her move from one apartment to another. She is wasting no time! Fully independent at this point at least (well, not counting me keeping an eye on her car).

going to hurt in a few months though, not having the tuition tax credit or dependent deduction any longer. Though not having to make tuition payments any longer, certainly makes up for that.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    stickguy said:

stickguy said:

speaking of "what's next", I scoped out a couple options while at the Hyundai/Buick dealer (separate buildings, same lot). Checked out a Genesis G70 advance. AWD. This is the base model, so good starting point to see how it works. 2.0T engine. MSRP about $39,800. checked out the features, then took a quick drive.

Overall, it is nice. well equipped with electronic goodies, but no moonroof (Boo!). the 4 cyl pulled strong, but certainly not quite the V6 turbo. but plenty quick for me. road well, nice steering and handling. Did not really get to exercise it fully, but I don't doubt the test drives that praised the handling.

the one disappointment was actually the driver's seat (a primary justification for this exercise!). Comfy shape, but bottom cushion was a touch short, and only way to get enough rake was to drop the seat lower than I wanted. Not a great idea by Hyundai. Possible that higher line models have fancier seats though I guess. And the console encroached more than would prefer. Again, would need to spend a bit more time playing with it and adjusting to see if it was acceptable.

But, a really nice car if it fits you!

For GG.
    Thanks, Stick!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Have a feeling the new Mazda3 is gonna be a looker.  

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2019-mazda-3-teaser-video

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    snazzy. that hatch is going to have some serious blind spots.

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    breld said:

Torsion beam suspension. Reliability for engine a big unknown. But the styling is nice
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    If suspended and tuned right, I doubt most people will ever realize it has a beam suspension. Our new Jetta has it, and handles just fine.

• Options
    An independent rear suspension is superior for those who really care about handling.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    benjaminh said:

breld said:

Torsion beam suspension. Reliability for engine a big unknown. But the styling is nice

Some older tried and true automotive "technologies" (for lack of a better word) get a bad rep on paper. Drum Brakes on the Tacoma, GM's push rod V8 in my father's Yukon, Leaf Springs on the Corvette. I'm sure there were a few good reasons Mazda chose a very simple torsion beam rear suspension. I'm sure it is lighter and cheaper. If the car still drives good, who cares?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    plus I am sure (like with the VW) that it is a lot more sophisticated than the old leaf spring live axle days. mazda is the sporty sedan company for the normal brands, and I doubt they are going to roll out a new 3 with mediocre handling. Our new Jetta rides better than the old one with the IRS (thanks to the overall platform). Maybe on the track you would notice a difference. Very few people though are driving small economy cars that aggressively. Probably normally notice the torsion beam over bumps.

front suspension and steering probably has way more to do with driving experience anyway in one of these. Especially for the majority of buyers that probably don't know what (heck, where) the rear suspension is anyway.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926
    My 2017 Elantra has drum brakes in the rear.  At first I thought that was kind of lame and an obvious cost cutting measure .... but in the end the car stops just fine and I’m not easy on that little car.  

FWIW my wife’s 2008 Elantra has 4 wheel disc and was less equipped than my 2017.  Odd for sure. 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    benjaminh said:

Let's not pass judgement on the styling until we actually see it. The current Mazda 3 is not exactly a beautiful design. I always felt it looked out of proportion with an overlong snout and a truncated rear end.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    stickguy said:

front suspension and steering probably has way more to do with driving experience anyway in one of these. Especially for the majority of buyers that probably don't know what (heck, where) the rear suspension is anyway.

Honda was heavily criticized in places like this when they moved from their double-wishbone front suspension to struts. Yet sales kept rolling along and few buyers actually seemed to notice or care. Unless something is changed to be really bad, which is highly unlikely, it is probably only the car reviewers who will care.

• Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    Happy Friday. All
  • Options
    breld said:

Pretty sweet looking! I like it.
  • Options
    ab348 said:

benjaminh said:

Let's not pass judgement on the styling until we actually see it. The current Mazda 3 is not exactly a beautiful design. I always felt it looked out of proportion with an overlong snout and a truncated rear end.
    And if you live in a state or province that requires a front plate, things can go from bad to worse very quickly.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I actually really like the Mazda styling. And the exterior colors are beautiful.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Kelley Blue Book says of the 2019 Jetta: "As the product of a German car maker, you might expect crisp handling from an Autobahn-tuned suspension. But hit a bump in the Jetta and the suspension floats...."squishily" absorbing the impact....Body roll is pronounced. If you want taut European driving fun look outside of Europe. Soft damping and a simplistic torsion beam rear suspension might dull the Jetta's thrill quotient but it doesn't hamper comfort."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjEFqu1R9hQ

I would notice, and wouldn't want this car if I could afford something better. Watch the first minute of this video. I've driven cars like that and don't like them. But the Jetta is a bargain lover's dream. Still, for compact cars I'd get a Civic for just a bit more if I could swing it. But the Civic is a few thousand dollars more. And a few hundred dollars of that is the torsion beam suspension.

But as you say the average car driver might not notice. But my guess is that almost everyone here at Edmunds would notice.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    benjaminh said:

Kelley Blue Book says of the 2019 Jetta: "As the product of a German car maker, you might expect crisp handling from an Autobahn-tuned suspension. But hit a bump in the Jetta and the suspension floats...."squishily" absorbing the impact....Body roll is pronounced. If you want taut European driving fun look outside of Europe. Soft damping and a simplistic torsion beam rear suspension might dull the Jetta's thrill quotient but it doesn't hamper comfort."

I would notice, and wouldn't want this car if I could afford something better. Watch the first minute of this video. I've driven cars like that and don't like them. But the Jetta is a bargain lover's dream. Still, for compact cars I'd get a Civic for just a bit more if I could swing it. But the Civic is a few thousand dollars more. And a few hundred dollars of that is the torsion beam suspension.

But as you say the average car driver might not notice. But my guess is that almost everyone here at Edmunds would notice.

I think you overestimate how many people care... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    benjaminh said:

Funny. I have a friend in CO who has a Boxster & a 911. He daily drives a 5-speed stick Jetta SE (previous generation) and says it suits him fine for his daily slog.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You all know the rule: "Don't buy a car for 5% of what you do with it" as in "We need a Jeep to go skiing (twice a year)"

I can still remember my day with a Fiat Abarth---the first hour was "Hey, this thing is a hoot--nimble, fast, great engine note".

After about THREE hours on city/freeway, it was -- "get me out of this thing".

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    In the best of all possible worlds, we could rent a car for at least a week before we committed to the purchase (or lease).
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    Thought of @Mr_Shiftright when I was sitting in traffic today. Directly in front of me was a Porsche Boxster, c/w vanity plate and well-coiffed guy driving it, with the top down on a day that was probably just marginally warm enough to do that. In the right lane next to him was a guy in a spotless black C30, staring at the Boxster driver enviously.

The C30 looked to be far better cared-for, but to me the Boxster had much more attention-getting ability.

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    stickguy said:

mine turns 23 in 2 weeks. Next month we get to help her move from one apartment to another. She is wasting no time! Fully independent at this point at least (well, not counting me keeping an eye on her car).

going to hurt in a few months though, not having the tuition tax credit or dependent deduction any longer. Though not having to make tuition payments any longer, certainly makes up for that.

You can still claim her for CY18, can't you? I guess it all depends on whether you want her to have the deduction or you. I might look at what the tax (savings) value is both ways and then split the difference with her. :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    I might. but she went out on her own and has a fair amount of income. she is a pan though (her taxes I mean) because has income in 2 different states, neither of which is her state of residence. so filing all over the place.

• Options

You all know the rule: "Don't buy a car for 5% of what you do with it" as in "We need a Jeep to go skiing (twice a year)"

I can still remember my day with a Fiat Abarth---the first hour was "Hey, this thing is a hoot--nimble, fast, great engine note".

After about THREE hours on city/freeway, it was -- "get me out of this thing".

Unfortunately, in my youth, I did not heed that information. Ergo, I ended up with nightmarish cars like an MGB. Loved it in the summer, and the way it looked. Working on it outside, in the winter, in the snow, at night, using a shop light, so I could make it to work the nest day.....not fun!

I'll throw in a Renault Fuego Turbo into that category, too.
  • Options
    was off work today and made a trip to Delaware, and swung through the automall to look at the 2017 Acura TLX I found. Of course, it sold since I looked yesterday. They had no other 4 cyl tech used ones (and only 1 4 cyl base, a 2015). So I did not end up driving one (it was raining pretty good at that point already so decided not to wander the lots.). overall, a big fail.

on the positive side, the Elantra showed 41.6 MPG on the trip down, and round trip (they way back included a lot of stop and go then back roads through towns) it was sitting at 38MPG. My real world sample size of 1, says that the Elantra Sport is seriously underrated on the window sticker for mileage.

If I could just figure out how to get the driver's seat of a volvo into one!

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    edited November 2018
    stickguy said:

was off work today and made a trip to Delaware, and swung through the automall to look at the 2017 Acura TLX I found. Of course, it sold since I looked yesterday. They had no other 4 cyl tech used ones (and only 1 4 cyl base, a 2015). So I did not end up driving one (it was raining pretty good at that point already so decided not to wander the lots.). overall, a big fail.

on the positive side, the Elantra showed 41.6 MPG on the trip down, and round trip (they way back included a lot of stop and go then back roads through towns) it was sitting at 38MPG. My real world sample size of 1, says that the Elantra Sport is seriously underrated on the window sticker for mileage.

If I could just figure out how to get the driver's seat of a volvo into one!

Maybe Hyundai swung the other way after their fuel economy fiasco a few years ago? It's always better to pleasantly surprise your customers than to disappoint them.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    Nice nice stick  guy
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Seems like a lot of manufacturers “teach to the test” by optimizing for the EPA test cycle (but the car operates differently in the real world), installing stop/start systems which a lot of customers will bypass, etc. Nice to see the Elantra performs much better than expected. 
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Have driven the G37 a couple of days in a row. The performance numbers seem similar to the 540i I had, and it’s smooth in the same way, which is probably why I like it. Only difference is it doesn’t leave stains of random fluids in my driveway!  :p 

I probably should’ve bought one sooner, but every “car guy” needs to own a pony car at some point, right? It really doesn’t give up anything at all to the Mustang GT on the butt dyno. If anything, the automatic in the G is far more eager to delay upshifts and let the engine rev. On light throttle, the Mustang would upshift into a higher gear where the engine was turning 1,000 rpm and almost lugging. The G won’t do that. 
  • Options
    DrivingfoolDrivingfool Member Posts: 227
    Can no longer get into here from my laptop. I've tried to get help from Mr. Shifty and have gotten zip help. Isn't there any person at Edmunds.com that can fix this horrible computer problem?? Seriously, I'm at that point where it's just not worth it anymore to come in here because each time they do something to their software, it just gets worse. I mean, hell, do their tech guys have any tech background at all?? I'm so frustrated right now because no one seems to give a damn about we folks that come in here. "WTF" is all I can say..."what the [non-permissible content removed]"!!!
    Maybe if I write a couple of lines of curse words, I'll get some action as that's the only things these guys seem to care about!!! F_ck, f_ck, f_ck, f_ck!!!! Let's see how long this takes!!! I am so f'ing mad right now I can't type straight but hell, enough is enough already!!!!!

The Sandman/Driving Fool :@ B)
  • Options
    Roll all the way to the bottom of the screen and click on “automobile forums”. Then try logging from there. Remember to click on the “already have an account”.

Can’t do screenshots from the IPad, but next time I’m on a PC can show you. There is a glitch that when they sign you out (cookie expires, I guess) you can’t sign back in from the window that pops up. This happens on my work laptop all the time.

• Options
    stickguy said:
    was off work today and made a trip to Delaware, and swung through the automall to look at the 2017 Acura TLX I found. Of course, it sold since I looked yesterday. They had no other 4 cyl tech used ones (and only 1 4 cyl base, a 2015). So I did not end up driving one (it was raining pretty good at that point already so decided not to wander the lots.). overall, a big fail. on the positive side, the Elantra showed 41.6 MPG on the trip down, and round trip (they way back included a lot of stop and go then back roads through towns) it was sitting at 38MPG. My real world sample size of 1, says that the Elantra Sport is seriously underrated on the window sticker for mileage. If I could just figure out how to get the driver's seat of a volvo into one!
    Do you sometimes think you might just keep your Elantra Sport? Seems like a pretty good car. You won't get that kind of mpg even in a  4 cylinder Tlx. Plus premium gas....
  • Options
    @benjaminh

This is crazy talk... go sit in timeout for trying to steer off a potential purchase. B)

• Options
    Sorry for my rant last night folks, I'm just so frustrated in here and this is my favorite site bar none, the first place I go after making sure no one has tried to get into my accounts. That frustration got the better of me after I was locked out on my tablet. All I'm looking for is some help to get myself back and for the tech to work without any issues!!

The Sandman/Driving Fool :)B)
  • Options
    Benjamin, could happen. Will just keep it until the right replacement pops up. especially now that I am back to not driving much (my 100 mile adventure yesterday was probably more miles than it got in the last 2 weeks!). The RDX is getting a lot more use than it had been lately though.

so, I will just continue to have about the cleanest (will never see snow or salt), lowest mile one around. Actually not all that common a car from what I can tell. And seems to hold value pretty well. Just wish it came with the nice power seat out of the GT. That was really comfy, and what got me sold on the model. Just ended up with the 4 door, because it was a boatload cheaper.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    It seems like the Elantra Sport is a pretty impressive car for the price—powerful, economical, good handling, nice styling, CarPlay/AA, etc.
  • Options
    Move my oldest on Wednesday, she closes on Tuesday. There was some last minute loan drama due to the special loan program she's in but after going through a number of hoops, all is well again. Move in Wednesday early p m I hope and then have the internet coming Thursday along with her washer/dryer and refrigerator. Then new furniture coming Thursday/Friday as we unpack. She's going slowly here, since her living/dining room is one big one and her island can fit up to 4 bar stools, all she ordered was a sectional for the living room. Need to pick up a large t v, probably a 50" and a bunch of ceiling fans, a shower curtin and rod and her new king bed will come Friday, if not sooner. Her sister got her that "Ring" security device which we'll have to set up plus a new printer. We switched desks as she's got her own dedicated office, turned the 4th bedroom into the office. And the rest, she'll do in time. Not going to rush into buying, buying, buying which I agree is smart. I'll use her older queen bed and I'll probably go out and get a small dresser.
    She had a special flooring put down in the garage but we're going to let it sit and cure about a week so as not to ruin it. Will stay a week as we're coming back for turkey day and then she's on her own. I let her know again and again that I've got her back and to not worry about finances. I get that she's super independent but trying to convince her that sometimes, we all need some help in the beginning. I know sh'e already been on Indeed.com looking for a better job with better income and am sure she'll find something soon.
    While there, plan to search some of the new housing options to see if there's a good fit for us. Started purging some old containers of "stuff" I have on Thursday and made some decent progress. Found so much paperwork I really didn't need so shredded a whole lot. Once I get back home, will start on my closet and donate clothes I no longer wear. Shirts and shorts need to be gone through and then, purge at least a third of it all and give to Goodwill. It's definitely time and my mindset is positive on this. Need to do it at my speed though and have finally gotten the girls to respect my position on this, but the desire is there now so know I'll be very successful going forward.
    Excited to jump in, and having felt this positive in a very long time. Think 2019 will be a good year for us all moving forward in a positive direction. Think the wife will come around once she sees my commitment to all of this. Definitely is time and finally will be doing what she's been on me about.

The Sandman/Driving Fool :)B)
  • Options
    yes it is really. plus of course, the long warranty coverage. and even comes with the moonroof and BLIS standard.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Yeah—ten year warranty plus blis. Probably impossible to beat that car for the price imho. The seats and the stereo might not be ideal, but otherwise you did pretty well getting that. And you even got the uber discount iirc lol!

What if you kept the Elantra Sport and instead upgraded your RDX to the new RDX?
  • Options
    I floated the idea of doing just that. The wife gets hung up on not wanting a 2nd payment, and seems to like her car. Though now that she is commuting, she would like to have some sort of integrated navigation capability (her phone for some reason will not play google maps through the speakers) and the BLIS since she has a nasty stretch of highway as part of the commute. I am sure she would enjoy a new one (or something else nice).

at least the commute is not horribly long. just a lot of stuck in traffic. About 27 miles RT per day.

I have thought about selling the RDX, paying off my car, and leasing something for her to beat up on the commute. But that gets complicated. Much easier if I cut her out of the loop, and let her drive the old one as long as she wants. Just can't try to take the back road detours since she gets lost!

• Options
    edited November 2018
    She could really use BLIS and CarPlay for that nasty commute imho.
  • Options
    she would love having those features. She just does not want to spend the money. I just need to keep showing her options to get hooked. The car show in January should be fun too!

• Options
    stickguy said:

Just wish it came with the nice power seat out of the GT. That was really comfy, and what got me sold on the model. Just ended up with the 4 door, because it was a boatload cheaper.

Let that be a lesson for you, young man!

• Options
    yes, not making that mistake again.

• Options

Need to pick up a large t v, probably a 50" and a bunch of ceiling fans, a shower curtin and rod and her new king bed will come Friday, if not sooner.

Heh. I went through an unexpected amount of drama regarding a shower rod after my bathroom was renovated last year. When I moved here the previous owners left behind an old tension shower rod, the kind with a spring inside. It worked so I never did anything to it other than to buy a new plastic sleeve to make make it look better. When they demoed the bathroom, that got tossed, NBD I thought.

I went to replace it and discovered they do not make spring tension shower rods any more, at least I couldn't find one. The new type do not have a spring but are a "turn to lock" style where you extend it to make it tight to the space then twist it (there is a threaded part) to make it even tighter. I went through two of those and they constantly fell down, seeming to retract on their own just enough to not stay up for more than a few weeks. Bad design. Eventually I found a different design where once you get it fitted tightly there are a couple of allen head screws you tighten to lock it in place, which seems to work.

I didn't want to drill the new tile in the shower for a traditional screw-mounted rod and also discovered that stores here only carried the kind of those that were arced out, which works fine for a tub shower but not for a walk-in shower like mine.

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Confession - I drove up to Vail yesterday afternoon to check this out.  

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-bmw-m5-e39/6740837686.html

The car car was in rougher condition that I would have thought, and to be fair, the seller did say the hood and bumper were chipped up pretty bad.  That was an accurate statement.  

He’s done a lot of work to it himself, including replacing the cooling system components.  He may be very capable, but I would’ve gotten more warm and fuzzy over a BMW shop having done it.  

It drove okay - the power is impressive.  I’d guess there are issues with the suspension that need to be addressed sooner than later.  And plenty of cosmetic issues as well.

With relatively low miles at 96k, this serves as a good reminder that mileage is only one part of the equation.  No doubt there are examples out there with 120k miles that have been well maintained and would be a better choice.  

I’d also be happy with a 530i like I found (and lost) a few weeks back.  But if you want a stick, it seems easier just to go all in on the M5.  

Or I’m once again lusting after E46’s too.  

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y