Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,011
    I've noticed that Bluetooth smartphone integration with my (new) Android on the VW is not nearly as good as it was with my old iPhone 4. Apparently, a lot of manufacturers design for the iPhone and do a half-baked job with the other devices that are on the market.

I have a friend who is an editor at one of the PC magazines as well as an automotive journalist, and he uses an iPhone because that phone is always the primary smartphone integration priority, while the other phones get short shrift...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• ohenryxohenryx Posts: 285
    The thing that struck me about your Tiguan review is that you said even though it is considerably faster than the CRV, you'd take the CRV.

My attitude towards such things has changed considerably as I get older. When I was young, I drove fast cars, and speed was the most important issue. I remember throwing away perfectly good AC compressors because they got in my way when I was working on the engine, trying to make it go faster. (Change cams, intake manifolds, etc).

I have learned the hard way that if I am not comfortable, I will not be happy with the car / truck long term. There are a lot of factors that go into my personal “comfort index”. If I have to fold up like a pretzel to get my head to fit through the door opening, that is a big negative. If I have to lean the car seat back at a precipitous angle to fit my head under the roof / sunroof, that is a big negative. If my line of vision is straight into the sun visor, rather than the windshield, another negative. If there is a console, and it makes me feel “hemmed in”, that is a negative. If the console forces me to keep my right leg in a fully upright position, that is a deal breaker. If the seats are made to fit someone with a butt about one-quarter the size of mine, and I feel “pinched” in the hind quarters when sitting in the seat, another deal breaker.

With all of that said, the Tiguan wasn’t half bad, I have been in much worse. If I won one in a lottery, I would probably keep it rather than sell it. But spending my hard earned money, I would be MUCH happier with the CRV. I have to agree with the magazine reviewers on this one, the CRV feels peppy at lower speeds, running around town. It’s when you get out on the highway and need to accelerate from 60 to 80 for a passing maneuver, very lacking. This would not make a good highway car, but would be a great “run around town” car.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,886
    well, of course when you get $9k off MSRP, the residual is going to suffer. I mean, you get, what? 25% off up front? So at 48% residual, that's only 27% depreciation. That's cheap.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,576
    Still haven't dismissed the idea of doing this for my '06 Civic as I'd like to have the usb/aux connectivity as well as bluetooth for my android smartphone integration. Just hit the 45k mark this morning on the vehicle and after having gone through the car wash last night, it looks real good all cleaned up in the garage which got me thinking again about doing the audio swap. I am ready for a new ride, I gotta be honest here and after seeing the new Forte and Elantra GT on the highway yesterday only got me wanting a new ride but it really is a dumb idea. Better to wait till I get to 100k or so and then make a switch. This will put me out till 2017 I suspect and I definitely will have more funds put away to purchase something I really want. So I figure I'd treat myself next month for my birthday after I pay for my eye surgery. Time will tell though but I'd sure enjoy some new audio equipment right about now!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• I know. If I didn't have the paperwork and car sitting in my garage, I would not believe it.
    Just looked at a CC online and it really is a sweet vehicle...man do I want one also or anything new right about now! Maybe if I get that new stereo installed, I can get the new car itch to go away for awhile as now is really not the right time to be doing anything with $20k or so...it needs to stay put where it is just as the Civic needs to stay on my side of the garage!

The Logical Sandman

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• You'll get there Sandman - you are making the prudent choice for your needs right now. I had the itch and tried to do this as intelligently as possible, but the reality is the Volvo could have stayed another year before we HAD to get rid of it for something more practical.
  • jpp5862jpp5862 NCPosts: 296
    This is the one thing that keeps me from purchasing a CC.
    A friend of mine traded in his 2006 Civic EX (190,000 trouble free miles on it) for a new 2013 CR-V EX-L w/ nav. I drove it when I visited last year, I was pleasantly surprised by the power, but coming from your BMW it would be a huge shock for you. :)

His only complaint is a rattle that they can't diagnose. He drives all the time for work, so after 18 months he has over 50,000 miles on it but no issues besides the rattle. Although he'll readily admit he wishes he had spent the extra money for an RDX (the new model that stickguy has).
    Congrats! I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience with the CC.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,092
    Thanks for your $.02 jpp! It seems like a lengthy test drive will be in order. I know it won't be nearly as fast as my BMW, the handling won't be as responsive, & hopefully the brakes will be adequate. I just hope the car overall doesn't suck. All of the owner reviews & reviews from civilian "car guys" I've read seem to say the same thing: they were pleasantly surprised, drove better as a whole rather than judging it on what the specs say.

I really do take everyone's input into consideration & appreciate your feedback.

I'm sure I'd like an RDX, but don't have the deep pockets like stickguy (sarcasm). Maybe a dealer demo or CPO without NAV might fall into my price range.

Stick - your RDX has a backup camera, right?

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

Oh the CR-V won't suck, not at all. It's exceptionally competent in all areas, but that's just it, it's competent. You can't go wrong with it, just like your TSX, it will be absolutely fine and will last forever, but it won't be engaging or fun.
    That's exactly what I want next time. Saw a bunch of new Tiguans and Minis at the Sixt rental lot in Miami today and I liked what I saw. Got to drive a new Beetle and a MB ML350 and our chase vehicle was a Prius. some others in our crew came down from Lauderdale in MB E convertibles and they had a Volvo S60 as their chase. Sixt has some great vehicles to rent...love when ever we work for them.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,565
    well, at this point, my pockets only seem deep because they are empty. Not even car keys, since I am the only guy here that doesn't even have a car of his own (never mind multiples like most of you!).

Yes, the RDX has a backup cam, which is the exact same one as the CRV. Cool gizmo.

I still can't see you moving from the BMW to a CRV. But, if that is your plan, don't make the same mistake I did and drive the RDX right after looking at the CRV. That was an expensive mistake on my part (not so much me, but taking my wife to the Acura dealer, when all I wanted to do was see one in person for the first time!).

once she experienced the RDX, I was never getting her to settle on the CRV!

and one thing working against the CRV? It had too much "Hondaness", meaning it was very similar to her to the Odyssey. I know some people think that is a good thing, but she wanted something that seemed like a change.

and for you, sounds like the RDX would give better MPG. I just did another trip to NY, so highway up, mixed roads coming back, and a bunch of running around town in between, and overall I got over 27mpg doing that. So I suspect you could easily average that in the driving you do if you don't spend an excessive amount of time in stop and go.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

sounds like what I want. something that isn't too big, has nice features, and is interesting and not super common. And of course, fun to drive.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• breldbreld Posts: 1,122
    "and one thing working against the CRV? It had too much "Hondaness", meaning it was very similar to her to the Odyssey."

That's exactly what I thought when I drove the CR-V - it was a great ride with surprisingly good power, but it was sort of like driving my Odyssey. So, since we already have an Odyssey...

Again, not that there's anything wrong with it - it just seemed too redundant in our fleet.

On another note, checked out the new Mazda3 yesterday. They had a fully loaded model in the showroom (about $27k). My wife, who really disliked the previous 3, liked the new model - even liked the red, and she is not a "red" person.

Kind of a lot of money, but this model had everything, including the heads-up display. Very sharp, BMW-like interior.

Didn't have time to drive it, but trust that it drives as well as the mags claim so far. About the closest thing to a Mazda6 wagon we'll get over here.

2014 Passat - 2010 328xi M-sport wagon manual - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

pretty much what my wife said when she was sitting in it. It looked so similar, she might as well just keep the odyssey. So apparently getting something less big was only an excuse to get something "luxury".

I did not fight too hard (hey, I drive it too!). and after driving a minivan for 17 years (not the same one of course) I guess she deserved something nice!

"- it just seemed too redundant in our fleet."

Says the guy with 2 E90s in his fleet;)

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

You know I was just jerkin your chain with the "deep pockets" comment;)

I'm talking big right now about wanting something less expensive, less performance oriented, & more practical. My big problem is going to be test driving a CRV or RDX or __________... I'm going to walk out into the parking lot thinking: "that was nice..., I could definitely get used to it..." Then I'm going to hop into my BMW, turn on to the highway on ramp without touching the brakes, slap the shifter into DS & nail the throttle, smile, & say to myself: "this feels good. How on g-d's green earth can I give this up?"

OK, you guys have talked me into adding 2, CPO vehicles to my list: a 2011 328xi & an Acura TL SH-AWD (2012).