Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• breldbreld Posts: 1,125
    Kyfdx can expand, but the ZHP adds unique wheels, an aerodynamic kit, short shifter and a few extra horsepower.

Generally a very desirable package on the E46.

2014 Passat - 2010 328xi M-sport wagon manual - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,576
    Drove a '13 Maxima with a sunroof across the state and it was a great cruiser...very comfortable with the cloth seats and easy to drive. I thought it was a nice driver and bet it drives similar to an Infiniti just at a lower price point. A definite bargain for a very lux ride. Don't see that many of them which really surprises me really.

The Sandman

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,007
    edited November 2013
    "...Skype to Skype stuff..."

Exactly. I just forced myself to buy a basic Trac phone without even texting capability so other than the ring-ring-hello stuff I'm incommunicado. if I were to email a seller I'd have to set something up with the IPad as right now it can't answer through CL's response email. Oddly, the old PC can.

But who am I kidding, if I saw a car I really liked I'd use smoke signals if necessary.

That's hilarious that a seller wouldn't know his car was missing 2 cylinders but maybe that's what the salesman told him.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,567
    don't scoff about the missing cylinders. Back in my college days, one of my friends had an early 70s Caprice (the big one) that they traded in on a Fairmont (used I believe). When I saw it, friend said it was a 6, but didn't sound like it to me. So, I popped the hood and counted plug wires. Since I ran out of wires to count before I needed to use a 2nd hand's worth of fingers, I knew they got snowed.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• "The ZHP adds unique wheels, an aerodynamic kit, short shifter and a few extra horsepower."

Here is the original press release.. it's not entirely accurate, but it's pretty close... The Performance Package was about $4000 and included all of the Sport package upgrades plus more/better changes..

"There is no aspect of the driving experience that has not been enhanced by the Performance Package. Modifications to the 3.0-liter in-line six-cylinder engine, which include different camshafts and performance-modified Digital Motor Electronics, yield a ten horsepower increase to 235. For the first time in a 330i a six-speed manual transmission will be standard. With the Performance Package it will include a short-throw shifter. The package also includes a shorter final drive ratio. The benefits of these modifications are immediately apparent - the 330i with a Performance Package will accelerate from 0 - 60 miles-per-hour in 6 seconds, about half a second faster than a standard 330i. To match the straight-line performance a new sports suspension, more aggressively tuned than the 330i's standard sport suspension, is mated to 18-inch wheels with mixed-size performance tires. In addition to the wheels and tires the exterior of the 330i Performance Package is distinguished by its Aerodynamic Package, black headlight trim, high gloss shadowline trim and a new exhaust that not only appears but also sounds more aggressive. The look and feel of the interior has been refined with cloth and Alcantara sport seats matching the Alcantara sport steering wheel. An anthracite headliner and Black cube aluminum trim complete an ambiance tailored to the enthusiast. Silver cube aluminum trim is optional. The instrumentation includes red needles while the tachometer reflects the modified engine's 300 higher rpm limit. Production of the 330i Performance Package will begin in March 2003 with the first cars arriving at BMW centers in April."

In later models (including mine), you could get the full leather interior/steering wheel vs. the alcantara (synthetic suede). The aerodynamic kit includes an M3 front bumper, rear lip spoiler and lower rocker panel kit. It's a striking, yet subtle combination.... if you know that model BMW, you'll pick up on the differences right away..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,194
    You are right to concentrating on selling the Civic without regard to the demos you have in mind. There will always be plenty of demos and low mileage Veranos for you to consider. Remember, Buick has a 4 year warranty so if you can score a low miler certified car that is 6 months old, you get the additional year which gives you 4.5 miles of factory warranty.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,007
    edited November 2013
    "...FWD and lame ducks..."

In a lux-cruiser why would FWD matter? You're not taking it to the track. I assume by lame duck you mean it's due for an update soon. Ask yourself, if this was it's first year, would you buy it? Unless you are the type who has to have the latest and greatest, what will the next generation have that this one won't...better back up camera?

What does Edmunds say it's worth?

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• I did have a bill of sale - one that I wrote that indicated everything you said above as well as the required basic form required by the State of Washington. I also kept a photocopy of the transferred title, signed bills of sale, etc.

Doing it at the bank is a smart decision. My work schedule right now makes it that I generally am not available during normal banking hours Mon-Sat most of the time- generally in the office 8am-7pm M-F and 8am-12pm most Saturdays, so I made the best of what I could to get the deal done.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,093
    I don't have to have the latest & greatest. Look at my last 2 purchases for myself: a 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH purchased new in April 2002. It's first MY was 1997. A 2011 BMW 328xi leased new in March of 2012. It's first MY was 2006.

I'm all for tried & true technology when it comes to something I'm going to be financing for the better part of 5 years.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

Not really sure what Florida requires here about selling privately. Where could I get that kind of info so I am all ready to go if the need arises? So far I think the price is still too high because no one is calling at this reduced price and like I said earlier, I am just not going to give it away...I don't have to! Funny coincidence, neighbor 16 year old just got a used Mustang and tonight, they are installing ahead unit like I want in mine...maybe this is a sign from up above to keep the car and just swap out the stereo and be done with it. Get a couple years enjoyment out of it and then go ahead with the original plan in either 2016 or 2017. Who the hell knows at this point but one thing is pretty obvious here, even at $9995, the price is still a bit too high. Folks forget the low miles and are just shopping price...just staying the course seems to be the prudent thing to do while keeping as little as possible gas in the tank, it's about a 1/2 right now.

The Sandman

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,567
    don't panic on the price yet. Give it a few days at least. Just let it sit and percolate. Yeah, it might be on the higher end of the price spectrum,. which cuts down on the initial hits, but if it really is as nice as you say someone will find it and appreciate the quality.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919
    edited November 2013
    The Florida DMV has forms, including this one to notify the state that you should be off the title. Don't see much in the way of a helpful FAQ there like some states have, basically just this one.
  • riley3riley3 Twin Cities MNPosts: 27
    If you repost your ad after 48 hours, put the mileage in the header so it shows up in the listings. Low miles is a very strong selling point. Leave the price there too. Good luck.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,093
    The used Maxima. Nissan is now offering 0% for 72 months (or $3,500 cash) plus an additional $2,000 rebates. That could put a new Maxima in my driveway (a year from now) for under $30K plus TTL.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    -I just ran 2006 Civic LX sedan 4 door with 48,000 miles, for my zip code since I don't know yours, thru Edmunds pricing site and got about $8,500 retail and $7,300 private sale out of it. I added no options. I would say your $9,995 is somewhat too high. I also say you can always come down, while you can't go up. So I would leave the price as is for a week or two. You've got to be willing to wait when private selling a car.

-If you get a check/bank draft, don't go to your bank, go to the bank it's drawn on and get cash. Then sign over the title. If there is something wrong with the check, your bank can come back on you for the amount of the check. If you have successfully cashed at the issuing bank, you are gone with the cash.

If you are hiding stuff from the IRS, doing this isn't a good idea. The bank will probably want an Id from you and will send in the form to the IRS about giving you cash money. I know the limit is $10,000, but this is the requirement limit. A bank can turn the info into the IRS for any cash amount they wish. If your tax return is squeaky clean, who cares about it being reported.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,194
    In the St. Louis area you can get a new 2013 Maxima SV with leather for 23K -- $11366 off msrp. Bought a Murano from them in 09 -- the prices are real.
    I married a cpa so we're pretty squeaky clean actually. I agree that the price is a bit high but I am just not going to give my vehicle away here so if it sells great...if not, great also and then we go to plan B which is upgrading the head unit. I'll still be happy but not as happy if that makes any sense...one of the perks of purchasing new is the new tech that I really want now. Going with plan B will give that to me but in the old package, so I still get what I want here for less green. And I can live with this to. I truly believe in timing and if the Civic is meant to go, then I will get the right person to come by and buy it. If the new head unit is the way to go, no one will come by in the time allotment for my ad and I'll go that route. Either way, I still win here!

The Sandman

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,001
    Yeah, they tend to advertise $10k off sticker on new Maximas around here. Not sure how many are available at that price. A used one would have to be a lot cheaper (i.e., low $20s) to make it a good deal.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,890
    One thing to watch for with late model used Maximas, if it matters to you, is ex-rental cars. A lot of them end up in fleets these days, I saw several at National at LAX.
    edited November 2013
    Posted some new pics earlier but kept the price just under $10k at $9995...want to wait a bit here. That car selling service called again but told them I am going to do this myself for a few weeks and then decide...true they do give it more exposure and will refund the $200 if it don't sell in a specific time period but want to try this on my own first. $200 is still $200 and if it takes a bit longer on my own, so be it. I think I can really do this on my own.
    That company in West Palm hired me...couldn't wait much longer so called them. He was out of the office but called me back in 10 minutes and said I'm in! Told him I am ready to start in the morning so this is a good thing...a better run organization on paper so we'll see how it pans out. Now I'll keep USA on hold for awhile to see what happens there...don't want to tell them to go "F" themselves quite yet...want the appropriate time to do it. And I will let the owner know at that time why I did quit and about the unfairness...doubt she'll care though! Not even gonna post it on fb for a bit...want to keep things under the hat for the time being since Hertz hasn't said yes or no yet and don't want to jinx that job, my "dream job"!
    I am very blessed today and very happy...thank you G-d!!!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades: