Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• nelsonfnelsonf SeattlePosts: 95
    nyccarguy said:

So I'm very happy with the "modification" I've made to my 2015 Legacy.  The 3mm thicker rear sway bar (stock on the Outback) really makes the car more stable around corners.  It gives the car a bit more of a rear drive feel.  I can definitely carry more speed on the local on/off ramps which helps with Merging.  

The remote start works as advertised.  I haven't used it other than to test it out because it isn't that cold.  Once you open a door or the trunk, the car shuts off immediately.  To get going I need to restart the car.

So I'm happy for now.  There's nothing out there that is reasonably priced that I "gotta have."  I'll continue to lust after the likes of the Porsche Macan S, 911 C2, 911 Targa, Panamera GTS, & BMW ///M2.

I've had several remote start equipped cars in the past, and have never had one that you had to restart when you got in. Usually you just stick the key in and turn it "on". Same motion as starting, but the car stays running.

If you tried to put it in gear without the key, it would die.

Currently own: 2011 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X Used to own: 2008 VW R32, 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 1987 BMW 325IS

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 46,839
    corvette said:

Funny you mention that. I went to the NRAO site in Green Bank, WV last year. I was also at the Earth Resources Observations and Science site near Sioux Falls a few days ago.

Wow... I bet you guys are a lot of fun at parties. :s

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 50,525
    edited April 30
    Been to a couple of Nike missile sites and the tour of one of the Minuteman missile underground control room sites in South Dakota was fun too. :D

No response to my email to the Hyundai dealer yesterday afternoon. I'm batting about 300 on that score, or less.

Moderator - Buying questions? Please include city or zip code and trim you are shopping, FWD or AWD, etc.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 4,139
    Some cars are too expensive even if they are free. The Spark may be one of those cars.

2014 Cadillac ATS4 2.0T, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,489
    Toyotas with dealer installed remote start act the same way NYC.  My two Buicks stay running, the lacrosse I would just bring the fob in with me and push the start button and the dash would turn on etc.  The poverty Enclave I have to turn the key to run.  Still amazes me that Nissan has keyless on a 20k Altima and GM has near 50k SUVs (Enclave can go over $50) and it's not even available.  

2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2015 Buick Enclave

• suydamsuydam Posts: 1,999
    Nissan has been keyless for years.
    Why not hang on to the Soul, save your money, and get a really nice car in a few years? You say it's running well.
    '14 Buick Encore
  • slorenzenslorenzen Posts: 653
    suydam said:

Why not hang on to the Soul, save your money, and get a really nice car in a few years? You say it's running well.

You forget what discussion this is?

:D
  • henrynhenryn Houston, TXPosts: 1,041
    tjc78 said:

Toyotas with dealer installed remote start act the same way NYC.  My two Buicks stay running, the lacrosse I would just bring the fob in with me and push the start button and the dash would turn on etc.  The poverty Enclave I have to turn the key to run.  Still amazes me that Nissan has keyless on a 20k Altima and GM has near 50k SUVs (Enclave can go over $50) and it's not even available.  

It is the nature of built in technology that it will age, and that it will be very hard to update. Which is one reason I am looking forward to Apple CarPlay and the equivalent Android Auto. But that isn’t going to give you keyless operation, and it isn’t going to give you blind spot monitoring, a rear view camera, or proximity alarms front and rear.

Car manufacturers need to up their game, no question about it. The younger generation is a lot more influenced by up to date technology, and they are going to be unwilling to buy any car without it.

2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2013 Passat TDI SE
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 1,999
    slorenzen said:

suydam said:

You forget what discussion this is?

:D
    True! But in this case im suggesting spending more money for a nicer car later rather than settling for maybe less than what the poster has now.
    '14 Buick Encore
  • fintailfintail Posts: 37,531
    Yeah, be prepared to keep it for a minimum of 5 years if you buy one new, or you'll be hosed. I like that pic, looks like someone just learned Photoshop :)
    henryn said:

Car manufacturers need to up their game, no question about it. The younger generation is a lot more influenced by up to date technology, and they are going to be unwilling to buy any car without it.

I daresay that's not limited to any particular age group.

Moderator - Buying questions? Please include city or zip code and trim you are shopping, FWD or AWD, etc.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 52,341
    Haven't set up the Honda S2000 test drive yet (soon I hope) but stopped off at the local Chevy dealer and he tossed me the keys to a 2010 Corvette--"Just see what you think".

I took it up into the hills a bit to see if its capabilities in the twisties equaled its straight line performance, and the answer is......"no".

The car went from stable to twitchy pretty quickly--faster than my driving skills were comfortable with, at any rate. I'd hazard a guess that in the wrong hands, on the wrong road, the C6 could be dangerous. Front end felt very loose at speed in the turns.

Not for me. I'd presume a C7 is more stable. The Corvette seems to get better with each generation.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Dodge City, KSPosts: 6,399
    edited April 30
    The Mitsubishi Mirage is probably the least respected new car on the market. This new 2016 Chevy Spark is not your Father's Chevy Spark. It offers way more technology than the outgoing Spark and drives much better. Test drivers are having a great time driving it and are complimentary of the GM-Daewoo collaborated motorcar. 

Will I trade in my Kia for one? No way. The 2011Kia Soul is worth 4 times what would be offered by a stealership. We're too smart for that, car nutheads.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

C6: Make sure your wheels are pointing straight ahead, before punching it in 2nd gear. Even the stability control can't keep up with that torque.. shewwwwww

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,880
    kyfdx said:

corvette said:

Funny you mention that. I went to the NRAO site in Green Bank, WV last year. I was also at the Earth Resources Observations and Science site near Sioux Falls a few days ago.

Wow... I bet you guys are a lot of fun at parties. :s
    I always end up surrounded by attractive women the entire time. It's uncanny! But, there didn't seem to be many females at the Berkshire Hathaway shareholders meeting today.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 20,559
    Had the fun experience yesterday of helping change a flat. Thankfully not mine. Visiting BIL and was heading somewhere in there 2004 odyssey. On a skinny road in DC, he scraped the curb, and immediately heard the distinctive thump thump sound. Sidewall ripped. By the time he turned onto a little side street and a flat spot, tire was peeling off the rim. So dug the parts out and got the donut on.

Only problem, they neglected to keep that pumped up. So had to dig up a bike tire pump to get air in it. But once done, able to drive home. And in the next few days they can get to the tire store because the ones I recommended will take a few days to arrive via tire rack or ordering at merchants.

A run flat in that condition would have meant waiting for hours for a truck that would have had a nightmare of a time getting access, and the van would have been dumped to sit at a tire store. I guess we would have walked home!

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2015 Jetta Sport (daughter's)

• houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 6,806
    For a couple of days I am having trouble posting. When I go to post, nothing happens and a message pops up saying message is waiting for approval. When it finally posts, hours later, only a small portion of the post actually posts. What gives?

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

Edit: This post worked OK.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

houdini1 said:

Edit: This post worked OK.

Looks like it only happens after I hit the quote button.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

houdini1 said:

For a couple of days I am having trouble posting. When I go to post, nothing happens and a message pops up saying message is waiting for approval. When it finally posts, hours later, only a small portion of the post actually posts. What gives?

Maybe we can get @stever in here to look at it. I don't see anything that would cause it.

Looks like a couple of your posts got grabbed by the automatic spam filter.

Looks like a couple of your posts got grabbed by the automatic spam filter. Just checked and there was another one in there - guess it didn't like your Truck Trends link. Should be "fixed" now.

OK, thx.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

• fintailfintail Posts: 37,531
    Did a little car browsing this morning - noticed a number of 2014 IS350 and E350 in used car sections, definite lease returns from auctions. One E was a relatively sparsely optioned E350, but it had distronic/drivers assist package. Really rare on a lower spec car, I don't think I have seen one like that before.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 20,559
    @roadburner, a question. Did you put coopers or generals on some of your cars? I was researching tires (BIL needed tires on his odyssey ASAP), and the cooper cs5 (hope I got that right) popped up as a good value, and very favorable reviews.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2015 Jetta Sport (daughter's)

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 8,942
    I put the Cooper RS-A on my X3 and Mazdaspeed 3 and I liked them a lot. The CS5 Grand Touring has-as you noted-received very positive reviews and I wouldn't hesitate to put them on a vehicle like the Odyssey.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport / 2014 M235i / 1999 Wrangler / 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2004 X3 2.5i Son's: 2009 328i

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 6,824
    nyccarguy said:

So I'm very happy with the "modification" I've made to my 2015 Legacy.  The 3mm thicker rear sway bar (stock on the Outback) really makes the car more stable around corners.  It gives the car a bit more of a rear drive feel.  I can definitely carry more speed on the local on/off ramps which helps with Merging.  

The remote start works as advertised.  I haven't used it other than to test it out because it isn't that cold.  Once you open a door or the trunk, the car shuts off immediately.  To get going I need to restart the car.

So I'm happy for now.  There's nothing out there that is reasonably priced that I "gotta have."  I'll continue to lust after the likes of the Porsche Macan S, 911 C2, 911 Targa, Panamera GTS, & BMW ///M2.

Have you seen an M2 in person yet? I saw one at the 2 different BMW dealers I visited recently, and it wasn't for sale (either spoken for or a demo?). I do like how they got it to have more power than the M235i all the while making it about 100 pounds lighter. I imagine the automated transmission is different/superior too.

The M235i is an awful lot like a S4 with two doors, smaller footprint, and RWD.
    2016 Audi TTS S-Tronic (DSG 6-Speed) quattro. Wife has 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 6,824
    andres3 said:

Test Drove a TTS: Summary Impressions on scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best:

1. Paint/Fit/finish - 10
    2. Transmission DSG - 7
    3. Speed/Acceleration/Engine - 9.5
    4. Handling - 9.5
    5. Adaptive Suspension - 8 (not quite as much range as I figured there would be in comfort vs. dynamic). Could be due to 20" WHEEL MONSTERS.
    6. NO SUNGLASS STORAGE OVERHEAD
    7. Price and Willingness to deal - 5

What a difference a day makes!

Last day of the month deal made #7 go up to a score of 8.5 from 5, and means BYE BYE Misano Red S4, Hello Daytona Gray TTS w/ red Napa Leather Seats! Sold the S4 for KBB "good" trade-in value, plus a bit extra for the 2 sets of wheels and tires I threw in.

It turns out I can be swayed by subjective styling, looks, and beauty. A mini-R8. Audi's version of a Porsche.

The 20" wheels are growing on me, but I'm used to 18's with sidewall. Haven't discovered the limits of a very wide 255/30R20 on a 20" x 9" wide wheel yet though. Has to be in the stratosphere, or the Yokohama Advans just don't chirp.

Wife wasn't super happy about my pick, she made me put the car seat in as soon as I got home. I had to become a contortionist with a shoe horn to get it back there, but it fits, just barely, and I do mean barely as it is a tall Diono car seat. The cargo space is generous however, as it passed the Costco shopping test. The car is essentially a 3 seater since I'm 6'3 and the wife is 5'2. Daughter is 2 and a half, so when she gets to be 5'2 or taller it'll become a 2 seater. OK, let's be honest, 5'0 tops, the rear seats have little leg room; it's tiny back there.

Chalk another one up!
    2016 Audi TTS S-Tronic (DSG 6-Speed) quattro. Wife has 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
  • tommister2tommister2 Mechanicsville, VAPosts: 261
    andres3 said:

andres3 said:

Test Drove a TTS: Summary Impressions on scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best:

1. Paint/Fit/finish - 10
    2. Transmission DSG - 7
    3. Speed/Acceleration/Engine - 9.5
    4. Handling - 9.5
    5. Adaptive Suspension - 8 (not quite as much range as I figured there would be in comfort vs. dynamic). Could be due to 20" WHEEL MONSTERS.
    6. NO SUNGLASS STORAGE OVERHEAD
    7. Price and Willingness to deal - 5

What a difference a day makes!

Last day of the month deal made #7 go up to a score of 8.5 from 5, and means BYE BYE Misano Red S4, Hello Daytona Gray TTS w/ red Napa Leather Seats! Sold the S4 for KBB "good" trade-in value, plus a bit extra for the 2 sets of wheels and tires I threw in.

It turns out I can be swayed by subjective styling, looks, and beauty. A mini-R8. Audi's version of a Porsche.

The 20" wheels are growing on me, but I'm used to 18's with sidewall. Haven't discovered the limits of a very wide 255/30R20 on a 20" x 9" wide wheel yet though. Has to be in the stratosphere, or the Yokohama Advans just don't chirp.

Wife wasn't super happy about my pick, she made me put the car seat in as soon as I got home. I had to become a contortionist with a shoe horn to get it back there, but it fits, just barely, and I do mean barely as it is a tall Diono car seat. The cargo space is generous however, as it passed the Costco shopping test. The car is essentially a 3 seater since I'm 6'3 and the wife is 5'2. Daughter is 2 and a half, so when she gets to be 5'2 or taller it'll become a 2 seater. OK, let's be honest, 5'0 tops, the rear seats have little leg room; it's tiny back there.

Chalk another one up!
    Congrats! Post some pictures when you stop driving it ;)
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2012 Honda Pilot, 2013 Toyota Tundra, 2014 Jeep Wrangler
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,560
    Probably feels good to get out of that S4. Congrats!

15.5 XC70 T6 / 16 Soul EV