Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,602

@Michaell@Edmunds said:

I'm opening the floor to comments.

well, I agree with Q that the ZHP won't not be a good idea. If they want something safe, try a volvo. a later S40 or prior generation S60 can be pretty reasonable. And built like a safe tank. Get a NA engine, and nice and slow too!

There is a reason my daughter is driving a non-turbo S40 still, even though it is a "putt putt" mobile!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

did some looking today. drove a Mazda 3. really liked it. a lot. Nice package. My daughter liked the ILX better for her teenage girl reasons. It was an OK car. Financially, the ILX will be a lot cheaper to lease out, though it would not have the Navi or XM radio.

MSRP wise, the 3 is a vastly better deal if you compare it to a tech package ILX. even the S model 3 is about 3K cheaper, and that has turning HIDs too. and a lot more power.

The Mazda is in pretty tight supply right now, but there are no incentives out on it either, so not a good time to be shopping that. the lady at the Acura dealer desperately wanted a shot to put me in a car today, but I did not give her the opportunity. If I had decided to actually go for it, we could have had some fun letting them negotiate against themselves. She basically said start with the advertised $270/mo S&D and work down.

One problem with the ILX is that the base car is missing XM (important to me!) and only comes with the black leather interior. to get a lighter interior and XM requires the premium package for $2,300, which also adds HIDs and fog lights, so a lot of money for not much return.

my daughter is going to be real disappointed since I am going to hold off for now for me. My son interviewed for an extended job where he is, and if he gets that (and should) will probably make a move early in the month. If he really wanted the ILX would tell him to do it by next week for the lease deal (listed on the Acura site as take delivery by 1/6)

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,279

All this talk about cars for the kids (or sorta for the kids) cracks me up. I'm going to have to make sure my own children never read this thread. Otherwise, they will justified in their utter feelings of parental depravity. :p

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,151
    @xwesx ......justified in their utter feelings of parental depravity...

My kids don't have to read this thread to bolster their feelings of parental depravity - I think my kids have those feelings from genetic heredity. That's why I sent them copies of my will to help ease those feelings.

Both my kids had their own new cars when they got their driver's licenses - that's why I always had one or two part time jobs - I needed the extra money for the auto insurance.

But, I still think the feel parentally depraved.

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

• suydamsuydam Posts: 887

@qbrozen said:

Oh, and no way in hell a new driver is getting a ZHP in my house. Not unless I am successful in getting him into racing well before his road license age.

Totally agree. New driver should have something big, old, and slow. Like a Buick. Something you only need liability for.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,552

@stickguy said: did some looking today. drove a Mazda 3. really liked it. a lot. Nice package. My daughter liked the ILX better for her teenage girl reasons. It was an OK car. Financially, the ILX will be a lot cheaper to lease out, though it would not have the Navi or XM radio.

Have you looked at/considered a Buick Verano? Forget about the Buick name for a minute. All the comparos I have read between it and the ILX place it as the winner. Maybe your daughter would like that for similar reasons. Probably some good GM incentives on it too. And it has XM.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,046
    edited December 2013

@xwesx said: My wife simply refused to use the '98 DGC again after it stranded her on two separate occasions w/in about a month's time. She even

My wife must have an adventurous streak - one stranding complete with tow home, and one flashing CEL/limp 20 miles home, both in the last half year. Yet she's still happy to keep the van until it passes 200k. Your wife should be adventurous - look at the spot where she landed. :D

Michael, my sister didn't really know what kind of outfit this was until she started seeing stories in the Washington Post and NY Times that quoted Edmunds. But, she still rarely takes my advice. I did convince her to fix her Forester and do the timing belt since it was overdue, but if it strands her now, I'll hear no end of it.

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,279

@Stever - Well, she's a bit adventurous. I mean, she does tolerate me (mostly) day after day. And, she went on our transcontinental trek again... for the fourth time!

But, her adventurousness comes to a grinding halt when it comes to vehicular reliability. Maybe if I didn't keep them running so well in general, she might be a little more acclimated to the possibility of a breakdown? :p

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,579

So far, all things done on both vehicles are paid from our joint account, we only pay the purchase price from our own accounts so whenever the Mazda needs to have any work done, I end up paying for it. So far, the Tuscon isn't even been here a month so no expenses except gas and tolls. Stick, the base ILX was a real let down especially since the only colors they had were white and silver. And as I said, it's really a pig with lipstick on it! As for the Verano, it really is a nice vehicle and if they had had that demo already, it might be in my garage right now. Give it a series look if you are even considering the ILX. Drove a Kia Sorento from Orlando to Lauderdale today and was impressed with it especially the mileage...with 4471 on the clock when I started, it did the 200 mile drive in just over a ½ tank. Super comfortable and drove very smoothly...a great job by Kia. Did the same trip in a Passat yesterday and liked that also, also a very comfy and smooth driver. Supposedly doing the same trip tomorrow again and hope to get something fun. There was an Encore today but the person driving it refused to let me have it, kinda pissed about that but such is life. They also had some smaller Jeeps but took the Sorrento since it was the 2nd one in line. Have volunteered to work Wednesday if they need a body so we'll see. Told them I'd also work late tomorrow night so others could get home on time. Got paid today and even though it wasn't a large check, I'm happy to be working again. Have a lead from a co-worker about a job driving for Manheim but it would require overnight work which is fine with me...not sure how the wife will take this but I'll try anything at this point. We shall see.

_The Sandman :) B) _

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,030

My son drove the 1975 2002 for @1 year, after which we let him "upgrade" to the X3 due to the fact he had not accumulated any tickets or accidents. I do believe his safety record is due in large part to his attending the BMW Performance Center Teen School as well as Street Survival; I am continually amazed by parents who give their kids a high performance car right off the bat without ever giving the slightest thought to driver training.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

I looked at a Verano a couple of weeks back. Only sat in it (running) in a dark parking lot, but was not overly impressed. Engine sounded very coarse. Maybe a better look in the daylight and a test drive would change my mind. I doubt my son would ever consider it though. He really likes the Mazda. especially since he can't come close to affording a new BMW!

Might be fun to just bring it home and tell my daughter that I bought a Buick for us to share to replace the Volvo. the look on her face would be priceless, but I doubt I would see the car much more often.

at this point, the son will buy something as soon as his job extension comes through. If not before 1/1, so be it. For the Mazda, might be better to wait anyway for supplies to pile up (and incentives to appear, maybe).

Me, I will just stick to my original plan, and wait til daughter goes off to college in August, then decide what I want to replace the "kids fleet". I think the princess can suck it up and use the "putt putt mobile" until then, as it beats walking.

@roadburner - thought you would be interested that the Princess got early action acceptance to USC this week. And today got a letter that they are giving her one of the name scholarships. not sure which one yet, but at minimum she gets the in-state rate + some $$ on top. A nice early Xmas present. Still not sure she wants to be 600+ miles away though (that is a long, long drive).

Your son still happy with the place with a semester under his belt?

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,128

@jpp5862 said:

So what is your G37's lease buyout with the new $4000 discount?

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/4254234095.html

Yes it is a lot of money for an '05, but looks great, & under 100K miles

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,030

@stickguy said: roadburner - thought you would be interested that the Princess got early action acceptance to USC this week. And today got a letter that they are giving her one of the name scholarships. not sure which one yet, but at minimum she gets the in-state rate + some $$ on top. A nice early Xmas present. Still not sure she wants to be 600+ miles away though (that is a long, long drive).

Your son still happy with the place with a semester under his belt?

Congratulations! Yes, my son is still extremely happy with his choice. My wife and I are also happy; whenever we have called USC we get friendly and competent assistance. No complaints at all.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

@nyccarguy said: http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/4254234095.html

Yes it is a lot of money for an '05, but looks great, & under 100K miles

Yeah, pricey. but pretty rare unit. I guess you are just killing time, since you need a slushbox.

The Acura dealer I was at today had a nice white over black 2013 CPO TL on the floor, special holiday price of $29,000. 7.2K on it. No clue what they go for new, but nice car if you want big.

• breldbreld Posts: 1,137

Dragged my stepdaughter around this afternoon for a little Xmas shopping, and a little car browsing.

No drives, just looked at the Mazda6 and used Accord Crosstours. Still really like the Mazda - the Touring model offers a lot for about $25k - leatherette, blind spot monitoring, touchscreen... Actually really liked the look of the Mazda3 sedan. In previous versions, I always preferred the hatch, but I may actually like the sedan better with this version. For the backseat room though, I'll take the 6.

I can see myself in a Crosstour too - very roomy package, with just enough height for easy ingress and egress. Lots of car for the money on the used lots, as I suspect they have largely been unloved.

Either would be a nice family alternative to the minivan, which I find myself driving more and more for its roominess and comfort.

2014 Passat - 2008 Audi TT - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

• breldbreld Posts: 1,137

Funny story with the young Mazda salesperson. When I told him I had a 335, he commented on how he almost bought a manual 335 recently but didn't due to some repair issues. He also previously owned an S4 and mentioned how much he likes manual trannies, which I commended him for.

Obviously a fellow enthusiast, I asked what he ended up with - he says he got a good deal on a trade in at his dealership - a Toyota Avalon. :(

2014 Passat - 2008 Audi TT - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

we saw the 6 also. My daughter commented that it was really big. Liked the 3 better.

@stickguy said: The Acura dealer I was at today had a nice white over black 2013 CPO TL on the floor, special holiday price of $29,000. 7.2K on it. No clue what they go for new, but nice car if you want big.

Yeah, I know, I need a slush box. A CPO '11 or '12 TL SH AWD might be in my pricing wheelhouse