Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    Get the G35, but get the coupe. You are way to young to be driving a 4 door sedan.

Hey now!

Looks aside, the sedan is lighter than the coupe, anyway. So if you want REAL performance, gotta get the 4-door. ;P

By the way, dealer not far from me where I bought my 350Z has a 6-speed '04 G35 sedan with 46k miles for $17,495.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    How about a Subaru Impreza lease for $244/mo.? (I'm getting bored..lol)

Or.. you can lease a Legacy SE for probably $275/mo. or less?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Don't tell me things like that! Anyplace not far from you is too close to me to ignore....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    Maybe I've been repressed for too long (8 years) in buying a 2nd car......it's a dilemma because I want to keep the 5-series wagon.

Woody, this is for your own good...

You are on the CCBA forum. You've had that E39 for 8 years. Yes, we know you like it. Yes, we know its been solid. Yes, we know about the house shopping. And we know its not our money. But hey, go out and get something done, okay? I know you have a weakness for Toyo trucks, Subies, 3-series wagons, etc. :P

I need to live vicariously here, y'know?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    Your nearest BMW dealer has a 128i coupe for sale for $33,500...

I saw a nice 128i at Swope just after it was delivered. As I walked up to it I was seriously thinking I might buy it, tiny back seat and all.
    Until I saw that it was a non-sport slushbox...
    I think for now I'll temper my CCBA impulses by modding my two track rats. I just fitted a Turner/Conforti chip(12 hp and it removes the ludicrous 116 mph speed limiter) to the ti, and I'm installing a SS braided ckutch hose next week. I have a Mazdaspeed cold air intake in the garage that I will fit after I finish prepping the ti for a week at the Glen(fresh oil and brake fluid ought to do it). I don't intend to transfer any red paint on to the track's pretty blue Armco- knock on wood...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    Well, if I did not have so many other limitations between work,wife and kids, a used G35 coupe and sedan would be # 1 and # 1a on my shopping list. It's a bear having so many masters.

Where did you say that six speed G35 was?
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259
    Now that's an intervention!
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    that was spent driving on gravel and loggin roads in the woods near Whistler.

I don't know what's gotten into me but I enoy taking the Jeep out into the bush for some mild, and I do emphasize mild off roading. Never done it before, and I really acutally liked it.

The funny thing is the Patriot is Front wheel drive, so it's not even meant for that, but I thought I'd give it a shot since a: I plan to use it to it's full potential, meaning, not caring if I have scratches here and there, or if it gets banged up, or if it's filthy as long as it's under warranty and mechanically sound; and b: it's not a leased car, so whatever happens to it I won't have to answer to anyone about it's condition. :P

I think from now on, I will make sure I have some sort of an SUV, 4X4 or pseudo-suv in my stable, even if it's a mechaincally sound junker that I can enjoy off road, especially since there are so many mountains, forests and trails here in British Columbia.

So overall I think I'm enjoying it more than the C240 I had, as I can drive it into more places, but now I'm thinking it would be nice to have a Wrangler for off roading, BUT I'm happy I didn't since it's a gas pig, and it's not as comfy for regualr road driving as the Patriot.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

Here's that 6-speed sedan for ya!

Nice color, too, that Desert Platinum. Doesn't look like much in those pics, but its a nice color in person. Kinda does that changing in different light thing. On cloudy days, its kind silvery, and on bright days, its kinda the metallic tan.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Looks nice! I see a similar selection of inventory at the local Infiniti dealer--no RWD models, only G35X models. There must have been a lease special on them 36 months ago or something.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,724
    A place named "Autohaus" selling Infiniti? Shouldn't it be a BMW, MB or Audi?

Welcome to Tokyo Garden Motors. Selling the finest German automobiles since signing on to the Marshall Plan... ;)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

lol, it's probably a trade in they received on one of their German rides.

Oh, you rat! Looks very nice. I think I know that color.

Have you bought from that place? I see them all the time when I'm doing too much window shopping on autotrader but haven't actually been there.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Yup. Bought my 350Z there.
    Nice folks, low-pressure atmosphere, and they beat the best interest rate I could get, too.
    Not to mention their asking price on the Z was only $1000-$1500 over the wholesale price quoted by Terry (rroyce), so I didn't even haggle.

I've been back when shopping, but they never had anything else I wanted to buy (well, that I could afford, anyway).

And, yes, they have alot of German stuff, but most other imports, too. They seem to concentrate more on higher-end stuff, but the get the occassional cheap car. They do have a large inventory. 2 or 3 lots all next door to each other.

Any time I go poking for like a Saab or Volvo convertible there's always something on that lot. There's an 05 9-3 there now - but an automatic which is silly.
    So overall I think I'm enjoying it more than the C240 I had, as I can drive it into more places, but now I'm thinking it would be nice to have a Wrangler for off roading, BUT I'm happy I didn't since it's a gas pig, and it's not as comfy for regualr road driving as the Patriot.

Hmmm...with proper training, Boom here could become the next Jolie. Just read how he left the door open on the car he's had for a few weeks. I think Memorial Day feels right, if I were a betting man...

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    good thing I am not in the market for a stick shift with an appetite for gas. I would be up looking. I never found stuff like that when I was in the market of course.

I may just have to browse their web site...

THe local Volvo dealer does have a CPO 2007 S60 2.5T. dark blue over gray, only 7,500 miles. Maybe not the auto-x hot rod you need, but for my current use, could be a nice option. And I love the color. Have to swing by and check it out, along with a used V70. Just for the heck of it of course!

But, so far the Schyukill has been treating me OK, and the manual hasn't been too much of a bother. I am sure I will get nailed in a major jam one day and will change my mind though.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Welll..... FYI, you won't find much of a real-world difference in gas consumption between a 6-speed G and an S60 2.5T. :)

I used to get 24 mpg in my S70 T5 and over 25 mpg in my 350Z (driving hard). If I tried, I'd probably be looking at ~27 in either the G or 2.5T. Of course, my G35X is a WHOLE different story. If only they offered a stick. :(

I don't get the Jolie part. And when do you guys have Memorial Day?

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter would like to speak with consumers in New York who have recently dumped a truck or SUV in favor of a more fuel-efficient vehicle. If you are willing discuss your experience, please respond to jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Jolie aka akangl is best known around here for not staying away from the used car lots. The running gag is to make a prediction on when her next car purchase will be, usually a holiday.

I believe I have Patriots Day on the 11th.
    I believe I have Patriots Day on the 11th.

Ooh, that's a solid pick. She did mention needing a new truck.

oh yes, akangl/jolie, now i get it.

However I dohn't peruse used car lots, I work in one, well new and used, so it's even harder being a member of CCBA and working at a dealer. It's like having an alcoholic manage a liquor store. :sick:

I'm not plannig on changing this car anytime soon so don't bet on it. ;)
    BUT I am browsing the local craigslist for a second car to have fun with, something under $3k and it's gotta be a daily driver, domestic, and from the 60s or 70s, and it's gotta have some style or character.

Whether I'll get it this month, next month or by spring I don't know. I want to go to Bonneville this October for their World Finals of Speed, or whatever they call it. So we'll see what's gonna happen.

It sounds like you are looking at Mustangs and Camaros. Do you ever get first pick of what is going to the auction ? I would think you would be able to find the rare RWD Caprice or Gran Marquis in there.
    Are you talking about wholesale trade ins? We do have first dibs on them, however most are not worth the $100-$500 we pay for them, and to have something old and classy come in is somewhat rare. Remember most people trade in because there are problems with the cars that they don't want to deal with anymore.

I was thinking of picking up something along these lines:

Nice shape but not interesting enough

Totally not what I want but I always liked the classic lines of these

This Monarch was already discussed in the Project Car forums

Neat Camaro

Convertible Impala

Last but not least, my no 1 choice

The poblem is I don't NEED any of these. So why am I browsing for one?

Boy, if I were going to fool around with taht sort of thing I love the 72 Impala.

My dad had a very ordinary Impala of that vintage - the 350 engine and just a sedan.
  • gouldngouldn Member Posts: 220
    Looks like I'm gonna sell the Accord to a guy here at work, so I've started to do some serious shopping

Remember that I also have a 2001 Forester with 135K on it, so the cool thing is that I can take my time shopping (i.e. I have wheels in the meantime)

Right now I have a few ideas:

(1) Sell the Forester also, and replace both with a CPO 2006 BMW 530iT
    (2) Keep the Forester, buy a 2008 leftover Acura TL or TL-s
    (3) Keep the Forester, buy a CPO Lexus GS-430
    (4) Sell the Forester, buy a 2009 Outback XT Limited

I worry about the hassle of BMW ownership ... I had a 93 Audi, and that was a nice car, but with awful reliability. I also get worried that people tend to pre-judge you as an A##-Hole for driving one. I know they is a silly issue, but I see it all the time ... people reserve special anger for any semi-aggressive move made by a BMW. They often will ignore it in another car. I'm a calm driver, but wonder if I would be honked at all the time. On the other hand, I think the 530i wagon is qutie nice looking, and should be fun to drive as well.

I've test driven a GS430 (a 2005, although I'd probably get a 2006 now), and liked it. I know they have the reputation as being super boring, but I found it fun .. not like the Audi, but the rear wheel drive made it entertaining enough for me.

I've never driven a TL, but love the way they look, and HATE the 2009's.

Lastly the Subaru is known quantity. I've had great luck with mine so far, but service is a PITA as I don't like the bay area dealerships and tend to drive to Santa Cruz for maintenance.

The choices all vary, except they will cost in the low $30's, which is my limit here.

Thoughts?
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116

I've test driven a GS430 (a 2005, although I'd probably get a 2006 now), and liked it. I know they have the reputation as being super boring, but I found it fun .. not like the Audi, but the rear wheel drive made it entertaining enough for me

The ES is the dull one (well, of the bunch) and the IS is the exciting one (well, again its relative) but there is nothing bad about the GS.

The Outback Limited is nice, but the jacked up wheels and bodyside cladding to make a psuedo-SUV look don't do it for me. I prefer the regular wagon, no longer made. The turbo is nice but I cringe a little at the thought of fuel costs on the Central Coast.
    I gotta go with #1 out of those choices.
    #4 would be second choice.
    #2 and 3 are not choices at all, IMO.

But I'd also throw in there a used E500 wagon. :)
    Or a used FX35, which are great bargains, IMHO.
    Either of which would involve selling the Forester.
    OR ... with keeping the Forester ... a new 128 or CPO 330i or G35.

Sounds interesting... please expound on the great bargains.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I'd go #4. I've had a few Audis, so I hear you there on the reliability. BMW's are better, but they cost too when they go wrong; a new noise can make you cringe. And you are also right about the image thing; I have never been cut off/flipped off etc. more than when I had my BMW. My girlfriend would drive it sometimes and said someone went out of there way to be a jerk everytime she had it. 2 & 3 just don't excite me at all.

Anyhow, I friend just bought a leftover 08 Outback XT Limited last week with a manual tranny. Black, with leather and options. Very nice, very comfortable and very fast. At the very least, test drive one...just stay away from the two-tone colors. ;)

I'd say the TL is definately worth a drive, even w/FWD it's probably more entertaining to drive than a GS...

I certainly enjoy my '05 TL, the best combo of style/performance/ride/handling/nvh/mpg I could find for $30k. FWD is just not a four letter word to me, I think Honda/Acura does FWD about as well as it can get done. If you drive 9 or 10/10ths most of the time, then yes, RWD may be more your cup of 10w-30...

After ~44 months and 46+k miles, the only issues have been a couple of rattles fixed by dealer/warranty and a couple of recent recalls (wiper motor, power steering hose). No issues, just keeps tickin'. And lookin' good!

The '09, well even though I haven't tasted one in person yet, I know I hate the "Shield of Acura!" Oh, that buck-tooth beak... :sick:

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

well, just browse your local dealer. Infiniti really pushed the 12-mo and 24-mo leases on these, so there seems to be a glut of low-mile used ones. I often see them in the low-to-mid $20k range in the local Auto Shopper.

The dealer I bought my G at, for instance, has 3 2006 FX35s on their website with between 10k and 13k miles. All priced at $26,900. They've got 6 more at $29,900. But I think those are probably overpriced because another dealer in NJ has an '07 for that much.

Have you driven a FX35? I'm wondering how they drive compared to an RX330 or the like (I assumed they were similar). Those are some great deals, I'll see if they are similar out here.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,676
    I love the '72 Impala, too. My grandparents had a 4-door hardtop with a 350, forest green with a white vinyl top. Beautiful car in its day, but by the time it was about 5-6 years old, it started to become an annual spring ritual for Granddad to slap some bondo on the lower front fenders. And it was all ratted out by 1982, when they sold it to some friends for $600...who drove it for a year, put a new top on it, and got $700 for it! So who knows? It could still be out there but I doubt it.

Back in college, late 1991, a '72 Impala convertible popped up at a local used car lot. It was white with a brown interior. 350-2bbl engine. One of the top latches was broken, the dash was cracked, and they couldn't get into the trunk. The salesguy said they were asking $1995. I went back a bit later, and suddenly the price went to $2600. He said he'd go in 50-50 on replacing the top latch. And when they got into the trunk for me, I could see evidence of some major patchwork in the lower quarters.

Needless to say, I let that one pass.
  • woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    All 4 sound like potentially good-to-excellent choices. But to me, the CPO 2006 BMW 530iT is by far the most exciting. (Personally, I'd get the AWD version, but I'm in snow country).

BMW's tend to be a lot more reliable than Audi's, IMO. And in 17 years of owning 2 bmw's in New England, I've never experienced negative reactions. Usually either no reaction, or very positive. You're near Santa Cruz? Is the anti-bmw phenomenon like a Hippie/Left Wing, kind of thing, or? I'd hate to want & afford a bmw but not buy one because of some kind of weird predjudice--maybe those rude anti-bmw people are just jealous......I'd probably tell them to go...(can't say it here!)........
    "I assumed they were similar..."

No, two different animals, sporty handling/firmer ride vs. luxury-oriented ride:

FX=G35/350Z based
    RX=Camry based

Evil wife has an RX300, she loves it. But fun to drive? No, not at all. Nice leather and wood, though...

No I don't think it's a political reaction at all, just more of a jealous thing. Frankly there is plenty of rude driving out here, and I see it in all kinds of cars, but somehow the BMW has gotten the lions share of prejudice.

Just today I was nearly side-swiped by a Triumph Speed Triple as he passed in the breakdown lane at at least 90 mph. I held back on reacting ... which was a good thing because I ran across him while getting gas! I actually talked to him politely "you were going awfully fast out there ...." and he was a cool guy ... in his 40's and not what I expected. Too bad he may not live very long ... those Speed Trips are FAST and he exploits the HP. Myself, I was satisfied with the ~30 hp of my KLR650!
    those Speed Trips are FAST and he exploits the HP. Myself, I was satisfied with the ~30 hp of my KLR650!

Well, the newer ones ARE fast; in contrast my 1996 takes almost 3.5 seconds to hit 60- and tops out at just 130... :(

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

yeah, supposedly my Sprint with the same 1050 engine hits 60 in 3.3 and tops out at 160. But I ride like a grandma on a KLR...where's the bingo parlor? :P

my bike up to 50 once, but it was a very long downhill and it scared the heck out of me. Trek makes a nice bike. :)
    I hit 30 on my Schwinn StingRay, once.. Said so, right on the speedometer..

Of course, it was in 1967... I also had a cool battery operated horn and a rearview mirror!! :shades:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

My local dealer only has 2 used ones in stock, and the next closest Infiiniti dealer only has one... :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Is the FX35 what your wife is interested in ? Have you/she thought about the Lincoln MKX ?

With all the rebates and finance deals you may be able to get one for a little more than a used FX35. It is based on the Mazda6 platform so the handling is good but you can feel it's weight. The interior space has to me more than the Infinity.
    My wife's last domestic was an '87 Sunbird turbo.. :surprise:

Anyway.. interior space is not all that important to her.. she just likes to sit up high.. I'm thinking even the FX will be too big, in an exterior way, but you never know...

As always, when it comes to my wife's vehicular preferences, logicians need not apply... :)

P.S.: The Subaru dealer that I just got my car from has a L-M dealer right next door, though..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Anyway.. interior space is not all that important to her.. she just likes to sit up high..

Which is how she ended up in an E46 convertible? :P
    Well... that might have been my fault... :blush:

Some leases are just too good to pass up..

Plus the SUV thing has just come up, since we started discussing what to do when her lease is up.. (so.. just in the last 2.5 years.. )

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    she just likes to sit up high..

My wife feels the same way; it's unlikely that she'll ever have a 'regular' car again as her daily driver.

The VUE works perfectly for us. The V6 has enough giddy-up to satisfy my wife's needs, and it rides and handles well (for something that weighs north of 2 tons). Cargo space is lacking when compared to the '04 VUE we had, but that's a trade off we're OK with due to the nicer styling.

We're getting about 20-21 MPG is regular driving, and we've seen 23-24 on the highway (at altitude, going over some mountain passes).

Plus, add in the employee pricing, and the XR AWD starts at around $22K.
    yeah, supposedly my Sprint with the same 1050 engine hits 60 in 3.3 and tops out at 160.

My S3 only has the 885 motor, but it is fitted with the Triumph/Sebring 3 into 1 "Off Road/Racing" exhaust.

But I ride like a grandma on a KLR...where's the bingo parlor?

Me too. Not long after I bought it I ran it up through the first four gears and I think I was doing close to 90- and with two more cogs left to go. And the wind blast was fierce :surprise:

Well, as I've discussed over on the Project Cars board (for those who don't read that one), I've decided to sell my Alfa. If it sells, this will bring me down to 4 cars. That's almost a normal level, ain't it?

I'll replace it sometime in the future when finances allow. Most likely with something I can prepare for the track.

*Sigh*
    Now to try to write the ad. That's the real tough part.