Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 1,249

Michaell said:

Nice job, @graphicguy !

Funny how "all in" has a different definition to the dealer than it does to you.

Love that you stuck to your guns.

Hope your son has many happy years and miles with the new GTI.

And, like @kyfdx, I'm jealous as well.

Micheall...yeah, you're right. There always seems to be another "fee" right around the corner when doing new car deals. Tiresome, for certain. I get it. It costs something to process paperwork. But, $250 for 5 minutes of "pre-printing" some forms? As I understand it, it's worse in other parts of the country. Crazy.

What's next? "Turn on the lights" fee? "Using the Men's Room" fee?

All in means all in. I don't know how you can misconstrue that as "all in except for some other fees you may think of".
    Bravo on all counts! Congrats and enjoy! The GTI is a great car.

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 20,383
    edited May 17

Micheall...yeah, you're right. There always seems to be another "fee" right around the corner when doing new car deals. Tiresome, for certain. I get it. It costs something to process paperwork. But, $250 for 5 minutes of "pre-printing" some forms? As I understand it, it's worse in other parts of the country. Crazy

When I was buying the Cruze for Imid Jr, the salesman had all the answers: the fee is for storing the documents as required by law for 10 years as well as for processing them--in Ohio. I noticed the state legislature and governor had found time to change the ORC from the earlier wording that the fee allowed up to the $250 was for processing a "time payment." The dealer this time eliminated the $250 by lowering the price and upping the value of the trade-in on the next round. I hate the round-by-round system. I had two other cars at a nearby dealer but with slightly higher mileage. So I was gauging when I was fed up to leave and drive 15 minutes to the next dealer who had Cruze LT2's from lease/rental. But I really wanted their car because mileage was lower. My son was at work so he was the lucky one and didn't have to sit through these silly visits with the manager by the salesman. Just have the sales manager come to the cubicle and sit down and we'll get this over quicker.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 7,070
    GG, I've heard nothing but great things about the GTi.  Your son made the right choice - of course with a little help and advice from his old man.  Enjoy!

2016 Mercedes-Benz CLS 400

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 20,137
    Took the caddy to the dealer this morn. As I pulled up, an advisor comes over to the car and says "I guess that noise is why you are here." We both agree it sounds terrible.

I had arranged ahead of time to make sure they have a loaner for me, but when I got there, I asked they at least take a look first and determine the problem before I take their car and drive an hour to work. So they do and after about 30 mins, a woman comes to get me and take me into the shop. They wanted to show me what the deal was. Turns out a small crossbrace that attaches the left and right exhaust together just after the downpipes has broken off, including the weld, and exhaust is leaking right up under the car. It needs a whole new exhaust, and they can't find it anywhere. So we discuss for a couple of secs what we should do. They don't want me to take the car if I am not comfortable having potential exhaust coming into the cabin. I agree I will take a loaner, although I know it will probably be one I'm not happy with. I was right. I got a 2.0T ATS. I really wish I had asked if they had anything else.

On the plus side, it has Carplay and I averaged over 33 mpg on the way to work (95% highway), but on the downside, it rides terrible in comparison to my CTS (little bumps I never feel in mine jar the entire structure of the ATS), lets in far more road noise, is cramped, and the seat is not as comfortable. I'm sure it is a nice little car taken by itself, it is no CTS, though.

Anyway, she told me it will be 2 days before they even know when they can get an exhaust. Yikes.

'12 EX35 Journey AWD; '14 Jetta TDI wagon; '98 Volvo S70 base; '14 Town&Country Limited; '09 LR2 HSE. 42-car history and counting!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 10,298
    Doc Fees - the dealer closest to my house in Stamford, CT had a cheaper selling price than the dealer I ended up buying my Legacy from (Rye, NY about 20 minutes South).  Once you added Stamford's "conveyance fee" to the equation, their price was $100 more.  They didn't want to get rid of their conveyance fee.  They didn't wantvto knock another $100 off the price.  I ended up buying & servicing in Rye, NY.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 4,627
    qbrozen said:

On the plus side, it has Carplay and I averaged over 33 mpg on the way to work (95% highway), but on the downside, it rides terrible in comparison to my CTS (little bumps I never feel in mine jar the entire structure of the ATS), lets in far more road noise, is cramped, and the seat is not as comfortable. I'm sure it is a nice little car taken by itself, it is no CTS, though.

Well, I love mine because it feels so connected to the road. And the exhaust hasn't fallen off it either. ;)

2014 Cadillac ATS4 2.0T, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

I don't mean to beat up your car. To be fair, I took a look at the tire pressures and they have the rears up to 39psi. I do like how sharply it turns in, feels planted, and I can feel the weight savings compared to mine. I'm really curious how it would do with better non-runflats. I would guess it could make a huge improvement. It just isn't as luxurious feeling as the CTS, nor should it be.

'12 EX35 Journey AWD; '14 Jetta TDI wagon; '98 Volvo S70 base; '14 Town&Country Limited; '09 LR2 HSE. 42-car history and counting!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 10,298

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 9,101
    Thanks, all. I think my son is really going to like it.

I half kiddingly told the VW dealer after they reworked the $250 alleged doc fee that I should charge $100 for my time and gas to drive to the dealership as a "purchaser's fee". They smiled nervously, thinking I might be serious.

Q.....hmmmm...that doesn't sound good (literally). Hope they get the exhaust issue sorted quickly.

Volvos...not a car I ever seriously considered. But, the people I've known that have owned them, swear by them. Pretty hefty discount. What do those S 60 Polestar (what the heck is a Polestar) vehicles sell for before rebates?

2016 Cadillac CTS-1998 Mustang Cobra Convertible
  • sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 1,249
    nyccarguy said:

Doc Fees - the dealer closest to my house in Stamford, CT had a cheaper selling price than the dealer I ended up buying my Legacy from (Rye, NY about 20 minutes South).  Once you added Stamford's "conveyance fee" to the equation, their price was $100 more.  They didn't want to get rid of their conveyance fee.  They didn't wantvto knock another $100 off the price.  I ended up buying & servicing in Rye, NY.

Doc fees are all over the place in our area. Very, very few don't charge a doc fee, most are from $499-999! Good grief, that will kill what you might think to be a decent deal. I have made it a point to ask up front of what extra fees, doc, admin, etc. they charge upfront before I even start to negotiate.

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 9,227

kyfdx said:

Nice.. and, now I'm jealous.

Which dealer?

Walt...son purchased at Kings VW! Fairfield VW were the ones who were pretty miserable to work with.
    Congrats! I've never had a bad experience at a Kings dealership.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport / 2014 M235i / 1999 Wrangler / 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2016 i3 REX/2004 X3 2.5i Son's: 2009 328i

edited May 17
    I am only seeing $5500 off the Polestar V60 in my area on truecar, which still makes it $9k more than I paid for my V Sport. They just made those way too damned expensive. Hell, Volvos have gotten pricey across the board. I mean, we're talking $60k for a 3-series wagon competitor, which means, pricewise, it is competing with a 535x.

Speaking of which, you can get $6k off sticker on that car, making it cheaper than the aforementioned Polestar.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 50,471
    It's $250 everywhere in Ohio, because that's the maximum allowed by statute.. ;)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,603
    nyccarguy said:
    I'd be surprised if there were many leftover Polestars out there.

As a sidenote, I got a funny envelope from Sweden recently. Opened it up to find the blue Polestar badge to go with the tuning upgrade I had done. Hence the avatar. Blue and brown, color combo of champions.

15.5 XC70 T6 / 16 Soul EV - solar powered

• breldbreld Posts: 2,572
    Congrats @graphicguy! I'm curious how much difference the performance pack makes in day to day driving? I suppose not much, but certainly makes one when pushed a bit. I could see another GTI in the stable. Would work well if I keep the X5 and still want a fun car that's more economical than the S4.

2015 428xi GC - 2012 Mini Cooper - 2016 Jetta (daughter's) - 2015 Sedona

• breldbreld Posts: 2,572
    Wonder how well those polestar swill hold their value. I'd like to think one could pick up a lightly used one for a hefty discount, but they're rare enough that they may maintain decent demand. A used polestar blue wagon would be pretty cool.

2015 428xi GC - 2012 Mini Cooper - 2016 Jetta (daughter's) - 2015 Sedona

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,603
    Yeah, I am surprised to hear of any incentive. When I picked up my car, I casually asked the dealer about the wagon and was told it was sold out months ago.

15.5 XC70 T6 / 16 Soul EV - solar powered

breld said:

Congrats @graphicguy!

I'm curious how much difference the performance pack makes in day to day driving? I suppose not much, but certainly makes one when pushed a bit.

I could see another GTI in the stable. Would work well if I keep the X5 and still want a fun car that's more economical than the S4.

breld....good question. My son did most of the test driving. I did get in a little and had a blast doing it. He'd be able to answer you better than I could.

Personally, I didn't think he needed the performance pack. He's not going to track it. But, hard to argue with bigger brakes and a limited slip being added to any car. Probably feel it through curves and braking before a turn.

Nice cars. Almost makes me want to consider an Audi, again!
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 1,586
    Congrats, GG. Your son made an excellent choice if I do say so myself. 
    2016 Volkswagen GTI S, 2015 Ford Escape Titanium AWD, 2013 Audi A3 TDI Premium Plus Titanium
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 7,360
    nyccarguy said:

Count me as a big believer and huge fan of the PDK transmission

The PDK brought a smile to my face when I test drove the Cayman S. It was like "Yes!!!! this is what I'm talking about! Finally something to match my Audi DSG's" Ultimately, no back seat and the TTS having more "oomph" from my butt dyno proved to be the deciders. Cayman S has slightly more HP on paper, but it is a Honda-like rev-happy engine, so I think the difference is torque and low/mid RPM punch in Audi's favor.

Also Porsche is very expensive, even used.

Not to be outdone for long, the '17 Cayman's coming out at the end of this year are to be much improved.

2016 Audi TTS 2.0T quattro AWD. 2016 Kia Optima LX 1.6T FWD. Wife 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE DSG FWD.

breld said:

Congrats @graphicguy!

I'm curious how much difference the performance pack makes in day to day driving? I suppose not much, but certainly makes one when pushed a bit.

I could see another GTI in the stable. Would work well if I keep the X5 and still want a fun car that's more economical than the S4.

breld....good question. My son did most of the test driving. I did get in a little and had a blast doing it. He'd be able to answer you better than I could.

Personally, I didn't think he needed the performance pack. He's not going to track it. But, hard to argue with bigger brakes and a limited slip being added to any car. Probably feel it through curves and braking before a turn.

The better brakes and limited slip have got to be worth it (how much $ difference?)! Safety first!. If you are going GTI, might as well go all the way; otherwise just get a Golf. I know these have stout engines that can safely and reliably handle a stage 1 tune to 250-270 HP, but it's nice not to have to worry about warranty concerns I suppose.

I haven't test driven a Mazda 3 in a long time, but I think your son made the wise choice. The last Mazda rental I drove felt like it had very thin sheet metal compared to my A3.
    2016 Audi TTS 2.0T quattro AWD. 2016 Kia Optima LX 1.6T FWD. Wife 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE DSG FWD.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 2,140
    Well, I've sold my 2013 Honda Accord. It's been a great car but we are moving and only want to drive one across country. Although I like it a lot -- a perfect road trip car -- I would like to downsize. Both of us so enjoy our little Buick Encore and we want to keep to that size range. With kids grown and just us and the dog, it makes sense. I've got my eye on a Mazda 3 but we will make do with one car until we move (about a month from now).
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    andres3 said:

breld said:

Congrats @graphicguy!

The better brakes and limited slip have got to be worth it (how much $ difference?)! Safety first!. If you are going GTI, might as well go all the way; otherwise just get a Golf. I know these have stout engines that can safely and reliably handle a stage 1 tune to 250-270 HP, but it's nice not to have to worry about warranty concerns I suppose.

I haven't test driven a Mazda 3 in a long time, but I think your son made the wise choice. The last Mazda rental I drove felt like it had very thin sheet metal compared to my A3.
    I was just dealing with "bottom line" numbers. So frankly, I don't know how much more the GTI with Performance Pack was vs a standard GTI.

Drivetrain feels really stout, so not sure how it compares to the drivetrain in a regular Golf.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 52,041
    edited May 17
    suydam said:

Well, I've sold my 2013 Honda Accord. It's been a great car but we are moving and only want to drive one across country. Although I like it a lot -- a perfect road trip car -- I would like to downsize. Both of us so enjoy our little Buick Encore and we want to keep to that size range. With kids grown and just us and the dog, it makes sense. I've got my eye on a Mazda 3 but we will make do with one car until we move (about a month from now).

Saw a nice Encore shopping around lunch and thought of you.

My wife is heading up to ABQ to take care of a girlfriend who broke her leg canyoneering in Zion the other day. So I'll be carless for a few days. (Thus the shopping today).

It'll be nice being able to play in the garage without having to move the van out every morning. :)

Got a new set of springs on the garage door this morning. $170. The kits online are $100 (not including the ER bills when you try to install them). Two techs, 20 minutes. Guy ballparked $3,000 for a new, all glass door. I've lusted after those for years. He said many of the new houses being built here are switching to those, albeit with frosted glass. I wanna be able to look out myself. Maybe in the next house.

Moderator - Buying questions? Please include city or zip code and trim you are shopping, FWD or AWD, etc.

Michaell said:

Nice job, @graphicguy !

Funny how "all in" has a different definition to the dealer than it does to you.

Love that you stuck to your guns.

Hope your son has many happy years and miles with the new GTI.

And, like @kyfdx, I'm jealous as well.

Micheall...yeah, you're right. There always seems to be another "fee" right around the corner when doing new car deals. Tiresome, for certain. I get it. It costs something to process paperwork. But, $250 for 5 minutes of "pre-printing" some forms? As I understand it, it's worse in other parts of the country. Crazy.

What's next? "Turn on the lights" fee? "Using the Men's Room" fee?

All in means all in. I don't know how you can misconstrue that as "all in except for some other fees you may think of".
    Another one that they try to get away with is advertising fees.

Since they don't advertise the TTS, I would argue that one. I do see plenty of commercials for the A4, A6, Q5, and Q7 though.
  • thebeanthebean TexasPosts: 320
    stever said
    ...Got a new set of springs on the garage door this morning. $170. The kits online are $100 (not including the ER bills when you try to install them)...
    True dat.  Those puppies are dangerous.   :s
    edited May 17

If the abysmal service departments of my local VW dealers weren't enough to keep me away, the sales department of my local dealer put the final nail in the coffin. Back in 2007 I wanted to order a GTI to my specs and the imbeciles acted like ordering a car had the same difficulty level as trying to create a cold fusion reactor. I'm afraid VW is off my list permanently.
    VW's stubborn insistence on getting sticker or close to it on the Golf R has cost them sales I am sure. It seems they are starting to sit and collect dust a bit, as the people that had to have them despite the VW dealer groups "issues," already have them.

Much easier to deal with if it is easy to find your configuration on the lot. VW claims they don't do "orders."
  • henrynhenryn Houston, TXPosts: 1,317
    Speaking of VW, I just earlier today received an email from the local VW dealer.

If you are still in the market for a new VW, May is the time to act! Our Memorial Day Sales Event was announced today on the Passat, Jetta and Tiguan. You can get up to $4,000 off a Tiguan, up to $5,750 off of a Passat and up to $4,000 off on a Jetta. That can get you lease pay
    ments to $230 per month on a Jetta with $0 down.
    There are probably pieces of that rebate money that most won't qualify for, but it still sounds interesting.

2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2013 Passat TDI SE

breld said:

Congrats @graphicguy!

I never wanted to track any of my cars until I got my A3. Now that he has his GTI, don't be too surprised if it causes him to become more of an enthusiast with an urge to take it on the track, or at least go wild on back country canyon carving roads.