Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,005

@abacomike said: I have tried to figure out the differences between all-season and summer tires as well as V rated compared to Y rated.

All season tires are designed to offer some snow traction as well as perform acceptably in freezing temperatures. Summer tires are designed for dry and rain performance above freezing temperatures. A summer tire will not perform as well below 32 degrees, even on dry pavement, and in snow or ice, a summer tire can be dangerous.

V-rated tires are designed for sustained speeds up to 149 MPH, a Y rating means they are designed for sustained speeds up to 186 MPH (assuming the tire is at the proper inflation pressure and hasn't been damaged).

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,983

Don't forget "all weather" tires (some Nokians for example). They work good on snow for my AWD Subaru, not so great on my FWD minivan. Good in the rain for the van though.

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,350

@Stever@Edmunds said: Don't forget "all weather" tires (some Nokians for example). They work good on snow for my AWD Subaru, not so great on my FWD minivan. Good in the rain for the van though.

I recently got a set of these (Nokian WRG2) on the RDX, and they are great wet weather tires. No summer mileage yet so wear is still a question, but we have pretty mild summers in the PNW.

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,134
    @corvette
    @stever

Thanks, guys. Then it would seem that the tires on my CLS550 are perfect for Florida weather!

Tomorrow night we are supposed to drop into the mid 40's (brrrr) so we'll see how they perform in cold environs.

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

edited January 6

@tifighter, those WRG2s are what I got for the Outback winter before last. Liked them a lot so I got a set last spring for the Quest. I wind up going too fast for conditions in the Outback now since they work so well. They didn't do miracles for the van in the snow though so it stays mostly parked this time of year except for running errands around town.

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,350

@Stever - Yeah, I only have one snow day with them and they seemed very good. I'm hoping these combined with the SH-AWD make a good ski machine. Not that we've had a ski season. One thing is certain; they sure aren't cheap.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,588

you can look up the corresponding #s, but basically the V, Y (or S, T, etc.) are the speed rating that the tire is safe for. But unless you plan to run over something like 149 MPH, not likely to need the extra letter!

summer vs. AS is just in the tread compound. the AS has a composite that stays flexible (in effect) at lower temps, and some differences in the tread pattern to handle snow better. Summers will normally handle better, and down where you are, won't be a problem.

I once had a Dodge Colt (of all things) that came with summer compound (basically a showroom stock racing tire) tires. Very little tread (the outer 1/3 looked like a golf ball). On any snow (even a dusting) it was dangerous. Like driving on 4 toboggans.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,134
    @stickguy:....
    summer vs. AS is just in the tread compound.

When I first got the car, I noticed a tremendous difference in the tread design. Both the E350 and the new CLS550 have Continentals. But the tread on the CLS550 is smoother with a one strip center tread - perhaps for stability in rain. The rubber also seems to wear more quickly as well.

Yes, I would expect these tires to wear more quickly, especially with the hot asphalted roads down here in summer. I guess I will be a little more careful when it gets cold here tomorrow night and Tuesday since it was mentioned that these summer tires do not handle as well in colder temps.

Thanks again for the info.

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

edited January 6

@tifighter, the value of my van doubled when I put the new tires on it. :D

They aren't easy to find either. Lots of Finns up here, so that must help. Plenty of snow to ski/ride on, just not much in the way of vertical.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111

@Roadburner

I agree with you 100%. A RWD BMW equipped with a proper set of winter tires along with its alphabet soup of electronic nannies should be all I need. Any car with a bone head driver will suck in the snow, especially a RWD BMW.

Hey since I have you on the line, I've got a question about your wife's E90. I'm not sure how much seat time you've had in it. After I drive my car for a while, my right leg gets warm from resting it against the transmission tunnel. I put my hand there & it feels as hot as the heated seats. Do you get the same feeling? Should I take it in?

@breld

A bit less exciting for me, yes. I'm ok with that. I'll still have the Prelude. I'll still also be able to register a punch in 2014;)

I'm a big fan of the E46 M3. That one looks nice. If I were personally looking for one, I'd try to find one with the 18" wheels rather than the 19s on the one you linked. Mileage looks good & its a final production year car so it should last;)

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

actually found a used car that interested me. A 2006 BMW 525i. 106K on it, but hey, miles don't really count, right? not far from my house. Might have to take a run over if I can snag a car from someone during the week (this being housebound during the day is for the birds, no wonder housewives in the 50s drank so much!)

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,005

@stickguy said: actually found a used car that interested me. A 2006 BMW 525i.

I find the lower powered inline 6 a little breathless in the heavier 525i, especially if it's an automatic, but if you're interested, no harm in looking.

@corvette said: I find the lower powered inline 6 a little breathless in the heavier 525i, especially if it's an automatic, but if you're interested, no harm in looking.

It would be replacing a non-turbo Volvo S40 (affectionately known in the family as the "putt putt mobile"). Pretty sure that even a 525 would be a nice upgrade!

not really all that heavy a car either. 3,400#s. practically svelte these days.

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019

@nyccarguy I haven't noticed any excessive heat around the transmission tunnel on my wif'e E90. Could it possibly be coming from the transfer case?

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,713
    edited January 6

@abacomike said:>
    we are supposed to drop into the mid 40's (brrrr) ...

Still rubbing it in for us Northerners, aren't you! :grin

W. Ohio, temp dropping rapidly below zero. About a degree every half hour since I started watching: -5.8 deg. Fahenheit, -21 deg Celsius for our Canadian friends. Should level off around -10 until this evening.

This message has been approved.

edited January 6

I keep forgetting that both my cars have headbolt heaters. They live in an unheated detached garage, and it was -5° here when I woke up, but has already jumped to -4. Gotta run a lot of errands today, should preheat the Subaru. Same forecast as yours but minus 25 for places away from the lake, like Ironwood.

Be a great week to try to sell a car. Then again, if it cranks, that may be all it takes.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111

@roadburner

how would I know if it is coming from the transfer case?

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346

@imidazol97 said:

@imidazol97 said:

Well, this is the other new thing lately..hit quote but don't get any of the content..been doing that for about 4 or 5 days.

Anyway, we have it much warmer than you for a change (13 here now). Mind you they say by the afternoon it is suppose to plummet again. It will be pretty nasty I think as they are calling for 45 mph winds. We have enjoyed quite a balmy weekend with a 25 Sat and 30 yesterday. I walked about 4 or 5 miles on the lake yesterday, except for the snow squishing out under every exhausting step it was great.

Car hunting isn't much fun when it gets like this. Not too many 8 story garage-like dealerships in these parts so all their inventory is sitting out and frozen in.

Interesting bit of trivia...they use high-powered leaf blowers here to clean the cars of snow when the temps warm up enough to have a few customers venture out. I think it's a great idea since it reduces the chance of rub marks.

When GTA got 7/8" of ice in places a week and a half ago, I suspect that most new cars sitting on lots will be iced in for many weeks/3 months? until the wx gets mild enough for enough days in a row that the ice will melt naturally.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,713
    edited January 6

@crkyolfrt said: Car hunting isn't much fun when it gets like this. Not too many 8 story garage-like dealerships in these parts so all their inventory is sitting out and frozen in. Well, this is the other new thing lately..hit quote but don't get any of the content..been doing that for about 4 or 5 days.

When there is already a quote in the post being quoted by me, I get just the name, and I have to copy the parts I want into the reply.

However there is a good feature to the new system: if I want to include quotes from more than one poster into my reply (with no quotes in any of them 'cause that gives name only) I can click more than one quote post and get multiple quotes into my new post. Then I can pick and choose how to build them.

And I can write some and then quote someone and post away to lengthen the response. Example here where I included Abacomike and Stickguy in quotes.

@abacomike said:

summer vs. AS is just in the tread compound.
    When I first got the car, I noticed a tremendous difference in the tread design. Both the E350 and the new CLS550 have Continentals. But the tread on the CLS550 is smoother with a one strip center tread - perhaps for stability in rain. The rubber also seems to wear more quickly as well.

Just quoted for example

@stickguy said: you can look up the corresponding #s, but basically the V, Y (or S, T, etc.) are the speed rating that the tire is safe for. But unless you plan to run over something like 149 MPH, not likely to need the extra letter!

Just quoted for example.

This message has been approved.

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346

@imidazol97 said: When there is already a quote in the post being quoted by me, I get just the name, and I have to copy the parts I want into the reply.

Ahh, yes that's it..thanks. I wasn't making the connection even though I recall reading about that. For some reason I thought all lately didn't have content. I guess it was a coincidence that ones I was attempting to quote, already had quotes in the content.