Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 6,569
    ab348 said:

qbrozen said:

On the plus side, it has Carplay and I averaged over 33 mpg on the way to work (95% highway), but on the downside, it rides terrible in comparison to my CTS (little bumps I never feel in mine jar the entire structure of the ATS), lets in far more road noise, is cramped, and the seat is not as comfortable. I'm sure it is a nice little car taken by itself, it is no CTS, though.

Well, I love mine because it feels so connected to the road. And the exhaust hasn't fallen off it either. ;)
    I noticed the suspension was "up-settable" during a test drive as well in the ATS. Might have something to do with shorter wheelbases I'm guessing. I've noticed in my new Audi TTS that while usually comfortable enough in normal driving in comfort mode, some types of bumps or irregularities are more noticeable for sure. Speed bumps are more annoying than before too.
    2016 Audi TTS S-Tronic (DSG 6-Speed) quattro. Wife has 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
  • breldbreld Posts: 2,129
    $1,495 for the performance pack on the GTI. Seems worth it for sure - trouble is finding one.

A while back, I test drove a base model with the performance and lighting packages. Nice combination - and with plaid seats!

2016 S4 - 2012 X5 35d - 2012 Mini Cooper - 2016 Jetta - 2015 Sedona

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 44,677
    edited May 18
    breld said:

$1,495 for the performance pack on the GTI. Seems worth it for sure - trouble is finding one.

A while back, I test drove a base model with the performance and lighting packages. Nice combination - and with plaid seats!

I really like the plaid GTI seats!

Always liked a good quality cloth seat. Back in 2005/6 when the first A3's were coming out in the USA, you could actually get a really nice "Audi" cloth seat in black, grey, or beige. I would have loved to get cloth seats, but unfortunately getting cloth meant settling for a base car, which meant no sport package (suspension a part of that), and no beautiful leather 3-spoke steering wheel. You had to settle for a frumpy old looking 4-spoke plastic steering wheel. Not to mention finding a cloth Audi was like finding a Unicorn.

I have a thing for nice steering wheels; don't judge me :smile:
    2016 Audi TTS S-Tronic (DSG 6-Speed) quattro. Wife has 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
  • berriberri Posts: 5,897
    I don't think I'm gonna take that bait Andres ;)
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 3,540
    Passed on the lighting package on my Golf as the $995 price was a bit steep...they did look pretty cool though. Got to drive a almost new 2016 CC today at work. My lead driver put it aside for me knowing I'd want to drive it. Very powerful with the 2.0t engine and the perforated leather seats were very comfortable. Decent stereo setup which seemed to have plenty of power through the speakers, had more power then my Fender system. Surprised there aren't more of them on the road because they really are a nice ride.

The Sandman :) B)

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

• stickguystickguy Posts: 20,028
    I love the plaid seats. Classic. Kinda on the skinny side though!

I did look up the performance pack. Was curious if they made you take summer tires with it, but does not seem so. 10 HP, snazzy rotors and a LSD. Probably still a decent value, but my guess is that I would never really notice it in my normal driving, and I will likely never track it. So not a deal breaker to me either way.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2015 Jetta Sport (daughter's)

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 8,791
    My son's VW dealer has a metallic grey, 6 speed, Golf R in stock. I'm betting I can make a deal on it if anyone here really wants it.
  • henrynhenryn Houston, TXPosts: 877

Passed on the lighting package on my Golf as the $995 price was a bit steep...they did look pretty cool though. Got to drive a almost new 2016 CC today at work. My lead driver put it aside for me knowing I'd want to drive it. Very powerful with the 2.0t engine and the perforated leather seats were very comfortable. Decent stereo setup which seemed to have plenty of power through the speakers, had more power then my Fender system. Surprised there aren't more of them on the road because they really are a nice ride.

My better half bought a new Passat in 2008, came with the 2.0t engine, great car, very zippy, lots of room inside. Fast forward 4 years, the Passat is paid for, she wants to buy another one. Only now you can't get the 2.0t in the Passat. Salesman tried to upsell her to the CC. No sell, she (and I) were very unimpressed. Yes, you could get the 2.0t engine. But it was basically the same size car as the Passat, but with a lot less interior space, both in the cabin and the trunk.

2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2006 Cadillac DTS
    andres3 said:

breld said:

Always liked a good quality cloth seat. Back in 2005/6 when the first A3's were coming out in the USA, you could actually get a really nice "Audi" cloth seat in black, grey, or beige. I would have loved to get cloth seats, but unfortunately getting cloth meant settling for a base car, which meant no sport package (suspension a part of that), and no beautiful leather 3-spoke steering wheel. You had to settle for a frumpy old looking 4-spoke plastic steering wheel. Not to mention finding a cloth Audi was like finding a Unicorn.

Actually, I agree with you. The 2016 Chrysler Town and Country that I'm driving this week (rental) has some very uncomfortable stitching on the leather steering wheel. Not a deal breaker, but if I owned one I would have to have some kind of cover for the thing. What's the point of a leather wrapped steering wheel that is uncomfortable to hold on to?

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 8,763
    henryn said:

andres3 said:

breld said:

Actually, I agree with you. The 2016 Chrysler Town and Country that I'm driving this week (rental) has some very uncomfortable stitching on the leather steering wheel. Not a deal breaker, but if I owned one I would have to have some kind of cover for the thing. What's the point of a leather wrapped steering wheel that is uncomfortable to hold on to?

One nice touch I've always liked about BMWs is that they stitch the wheel on the rear of the spokes so that the stitching is not where you rest your thumbs when you hold the wheel at the proper 9 and 3 hand positions.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport / 2014 M235i / 1999 Wrangler / 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2004 X3 2.5i Son's: 2009 328i

My 2006 DTS has a leather wrapped steering wheel. The stitching is really smooth, completely non obtrusive. That wheel is a pleasure to hold, wrap your hands around. This T&C feels like they used nylon fishing line to stitch it up.

My son's VW dealer has a metallic grey, 6 speed, Golf R in stock. I'm betting I can make a deal on it if anyone here really wants it.

Find out if they will let you test drive it first. LOL.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 19,153
    Odd. I don't really like our 2014 T&C steering wheel, but haven't noticed the stitching. We have a Limited, and the wheel is like half plastic and half smooth... i guess leather. They must have changed it again.

'14 CTS Vsport; '98 Volvo S70 base; '14 Town&Country Limited; '09 LR2 HSE. 40-car history and counting!

henryn said:

andres3 said:

breld said:

Sounds like some UAW bad stitching job? Or is it Mexico? They do sell driving gloves, not a fan of steering wheel covers or big fuzzy dice blocks on the rear view mirror.
    henryn said:

My better half bought a new Passat in 2008, came with the 2.0t engine, great car, very zippy, lots of room inside. Fast forward 4 years, the Passat is paid for, she wants to buy another one. Only now you can't get the 2.0t in the Passat. Salesman tried to upsell her to the CC. No sell, she (and I) were very unimpressed. Yes, you could get the 2.0t engine. But it was basically the same size car as the Passat, but with a lot less interior space, both in the cabin and the trunk.

Before Dieselgate you could get a 2.0L Passat, but it was the TDI. I think that's the way I'd want one if they leased it for under $200 month.
    andres3 said:

The dealer knew I liked the R when we were in there buying my son's car. They offered to let me test drive it. So, pretty sure if I went back and asked, they'd let me take it out.

andres3 said:

The dealer knew I liked the R when we were in there buying my son's car. They offered to let me test drive it. So, pretty sure if I went back and asked, they'd let me take it out.
    That's good to hear. Maybe with all the imbeciles that had to be first to own one and pay full sticker dealt with, dealers will start coming back down to Earth and reality. I was watching the Golf R market like a hawk for a good amount of time. The DDC (adaptive suspension) models sell very fast. The "base" Golf R's tend to sit for awhile and even online quotes were going well below sticker.

I think it has to be a DDC as it really is a bargain cost wise (w/ NAV thrown in) and it adds a few things I think should be standard:

1) 8.5" wide wheels vs. 8" (I don't care about 19 vs. 18 diameter, but the width difference (and tire minimizing) is a shame).
    2) Fender Audio System
    3) I like VW's method of 3 different distinct calibration settings instead of Audi's 2 settings with another 2 that are just versions and mixes of the first 2.

Flaws are:

1) No spare tire (very minor to me).
    2) Since there is no spare, they should have put the heavy car battery way in the back, as far back and as low and as far to the right as possible like in my TTS. This not only makes the battery last a lot longer due to no heat from the engine bay, but also helps balance the weight of the car much better.
    3) The center armrest console is not operable. Very strange that you can't open it and use it for storage. (minor, but annoying; there is a you tube video to make it operable, but then there's no closing/locking latch.
    4) No incentives from VW.
    5) I haven't driven the R, but in the TTS Audi took the time and care to quattro-ify the Haldex 5th generation AWD system in dynamic mode as it becomes a 60% rear-biased beast much like the Torsen system in the S4.

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,773
    My E39 was still on its 10+ year old factory battery. I'm sure the lack of heat in the trunk helped its lifespan. 
    On the Passat, don't discount the 1.8t engine. Quite possibly you won't notice any real difference in normal use. Not like when the base motor was the 2.5l 5.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2015 Jetta Sport (daughter's)

On the Passat, don't discount the 1.8t engine. Quite possibly you won't notice any real difference in normal use. Not like when the base motor was the 2.5l 5.

stickguy said:

I have driven the Passat with the 1.8t. I did notice. Quite a bit of difference to me. The 1.8t is "acceptable". The 2.0t is a rocketship, hell of a lot of fun to drive.

andres3 said:

henryn said:

Before Dieselgate you could get a 2.0L Passat, but it was the TDI. I think that's the way I'd want one if they leased it for under $200 month.
    I don't drive enough miles to really appreciate the diesel. I seem to recall problems with the adblue systems if you make a lot of short trips (which I do). And the diesel, while reasonable to drive, and very economical, was not fun. The 2008 Passat with the 2.0t was a real blast. Nothing like blowing the doors off some kid in an older Mustang GT while driving a very sedate looking VW sedan.

henryn said:

andres3 said:

henryn said:

I don't drive enough miles to really appreciate the diesel. I seem to recall problems with the adblue systems if you make a lot of short trips (which I do). And the diesel, while reasonable to drive, and very economical, was not fun. The 2008 Passat with the 2.0t was a real blast. Nothing like blowing the doors off some kid in an older Mustang GT while driving a very sedate looking VW sedan.

Count me in the category of thinking Audi/VW's 2.0T is a gem of an engine, and a blast to drive. It does best with cars weighing in at under 3,500 pounds. Any idea what Passats weigh these days?
    I agree - VW's 2.0T is a great engine. Have had a couple of GTIs, an older Jetta with it, an A3, and the recent S3.

But I'm also a big fan of the 1.8T - had it in my Passat, and now in the daughter's Jetta Sport. I imagine some of the affection for the older Passat with the 2.0T has less to do with the engine itself, and more to do of the "Americanization" of the Passat from that previous model to the current one. The CC would indeed be a good opportunity to get the "old" Passat feel, albeit with less rear seat room.

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,427
    "My E39 was still on its 10+ year old factory battery."

My 04 Grand Marquis went 10+ years as well on the OEM Motorcraft battery. I replaced it one really cold morning when I noticed some slow cranking (really slow). I figure I got my money's worth out of it.

2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2015 Buick Enclave

• sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 847
    This is as close to getting a GTI that I've gotten. Bought new in Sept 94, a 95 Jetta GLX VR6, 5 sp. It had the optional black leather interior with Recaro like seats. I paid an extra $300 for the keyless remote entry. What was neat is the ignition key had a built in flashlight that was activated by pressing the VW logo. Fun car, VR6 was smooth and came alive past 3500 rpm with a very nice sound. I think the car was listed around $21k.

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX

andres3 said:

sda said:

This is as close to getting a GTI that I've gotten. Bought new in Sept 94, a 95 Jetta GLX VR6, 5 sp. It had the optional black leather interior with Recaro like seats. I paid an extra $300 for the keyless remote entry. What was neat is the ignition key had a built in flashlight that was activated by pressing the VW logo. Fun car, VR6 was smooth and came alive past 3500 rpm with a very nice sound. I think the car was listed around $21k.

I like it! I was graduating college in 1994, so these were on my radar. Ended up with a '93 Honda Prelude Si - I was definitely more of a Honda fanboy back then.

breld said:

sda said:

I like it! I was graduating college in 1994, so these were on my radar. Ended up with a '93 Honda Prelude Si - I was definitely more of a Honda fanboy back then.
    Early 90's was Honda's prime, that's why! They were still a major league contributor to making good cars until about the mid 00's. After that... pretty blah until the '14 Accord redesign.