Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    How was your vacation 20 firefighter didn’t you go on one recently from mixing up people in here.
    @ MB enthusiast keeping your dad in my prayers and hoping for the best for him. All that comes first agreed the car is nothing we don’t we like them it’s just the machine in the end. lol
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    edited June 2019
    @au1994 No Eagle Sports right now, but here is a set of some nearly new Pirelli RFTs for $460.55 with free shipping: https://www.bestusedtires.com/4-used-pirelli-cinturato-p7-all-season-run-flat-225-50-18-95v-9-10-32-tire-75106-12
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    @j One roll nice to see you in here haven’t been in that other group are used to frequent and forever glad you’re posting in here now.
    @QB glad you had an awesome time you and the family on your vacation so you coming back today then?
    @ Corvette glad you had an awesome trip to welcome back yes grown-up is no fun Ha ha ha
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    Switch to non run flat tires. Does the X1 have a space for a spare if you aren’t willing to go with an inflator kit instead?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited June 2019
    stickguy said:

Switch to non run flat tires. Does the X1 have a space for a spare if you aren’t willing to go with an inflator kit instead?

It's a lease and he'll need to return it with RFTs at or above 4/32. He is below that now. With a new/newish set of RFTs, that should last the remainder of the lease.
    Not a lease though

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,380
    No, not a lease but I don't want to mess with a spare or and inflation kit. My wife drives this most of the time now. We want to replace it sooner than later as neither of us just love it for some reason even though it does everything pretty darn well.

Road noise is probably the #1 complaint from both of us so I don't want to go to cheap and improve anything there but at the same time I want her to have a safe tire that will last until we can make a move on the car which may be another year from now.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

It's not? I could have sworn it was - my bad! If you're just going to be keeping, definitely swap out to non RFTs.
    au1994 said:

No, not a lease but I don't want to mess with a spare or and inflation kit. My wife drives this most of the time now. We want to replace it sooner than later as neither of us just love it for some reason even though it does everything pretty darn well.

Road noise is probably the #1 complaint from both of us so I don't want to go to cheap and improve anything there but at the same time I want her to have a safe tire that will last until we can make a move on the car which may be another year from now.

Makes good sense. Definitely consider the used Pirellis if you're going to flip in less than a year.

au1994 said:

Makes good sense. Definitely consider the used Pirellis if you're going to flip in less than a year.
    I might have to do that as bad as those tires are it just may make more sense. Seriously worn out at less than 26k miles and so noisy its difficult to hold a call on the Bluetooth unless the road is like glass.

We made it 23k....
    @ 20 firefighter nice nice I’m here at 23K.
    @marcogallo1986 We went on vacation a couple months ago. May be thinking of @tjc78?
    @28firefighter - do you know the F/R split in normal driving on the xDrive X1? Ours is sDrive and I think that may be behind some of our discontent with it. It feels very front heavy sometimes.

Is 2017 last year of RWD or first year of FWD?

It’s the latter

edited June 2019
    But overall, RFT test out poorly. I agree that if he cars not long for the driveway, slightly used take offs is a good option.

edited June 2019
    I believe if the xdrive clutch is open, the X1 xDrive gets 100% to the front wheels like yours. 2016 was the first year of the FWD biased versions of the X1. Prior to that it was RWD biased.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    MB, so glad your dad got well. I as well almost died last year from sepsis, though many don't know what it even is. Glad your dad was strong enough to make a start for a full recovery. One thing I learned is that life can change very quickly, so don't put off things that will give you joy! And if looking at high priced heels makes you happy, why not. Just do what makes you happy and your life will be just fine.
    So glad your dad is doing so well. Just remember to let him know how much you love him whenever you can. Something I always tell my kids even though they are all adults now. Not ever hearing that growing up, made it a point that my kids would always know how much they were loved by us!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Have those Bridgestone run flats on my Golf and at about 34K, they are wearing very evenly but I do have them rotated on a regular basis as I don't want to spring for a new set before I trade out of it. Mine are rated for 50K and hoping to make that number.
    Been super hot down here, low to mid 90's. We keep our a/c at 79 when we're home as it's super cold at anything below that. There was an issue last week so they came out on Saturday to check everything out. Blowing cols air at 59 degrees which the tech said is perfect. We put in the unit in 7/18, so not even a year old. Think the wife just panicked last Friday when something blew the switch in the fuse box in the garage as it was not blowing cold air. Came home and hit the 2 a/c switches and we had cool air finally. Tech couldn't find anything wrong. Blowing very cool right now at 3:30 pm while it's showing 93 outside.
    Very efficient unit also, as our power bills are less than the previous year. The old unit was unfixable last year so we had no choice but to replace it.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Incredible as it seems, still getting bills from my 2018 gall bladder situation. Like MB's dad, I ended up with sepsis and pneumonia and was very close to death according to all the doctors involved. Am paying off my share of the hospital but more bills came in the past two days and they want another couple thousand from me! Crazy!! Called my health plan earlier and of course, all the bills are wrong so she told me to do nothing and they will recalculate and get with the doctors involved. Seems like for both surgeries, they used an out of network anesthesia provider even though the hospital had all my insurance information and my wife asking them to use only in network doctors.
    My insurance is going to try to get them to take the same fees as if they were in network. If so, I'd only be responsible for 15% instead of the 35% for out of network providers. My bills are around $160K all in right now so even my 15% is substantial. Can understand why folks go bankrupt with certain medical bills. Am very lucky to have decent insurance but never the less, healthcare in America is still out of whack and needs to be put under control! No one should have to lose so much when getting sick. If I were a deadbeat with nothing, it wouldn't cost me a cent. Don't get me wrong, don't mind paying a reasonable amount as my co-pay but it needs to be reasonably priced in the first place. Again, no one should be denied adequate healthcare and no one should go bankrupt after they do get it!!
    Will get ff my soap box now.

The more I'm reading about the new Hyundai Venue, the more I'm liking it and think it'll be the best choice for my next vehicle. The "Denim" option looks to be the best one for me as I want all the safety nannies, the better audio system, a sun/moon roof and 17" alloys. The length will be 159" which is just perfect. A bit shorter than the Kona from what the article said. Similar to the Kia Soul which I also like but, no something I want. Also curious about the upcoming 2020 VW Golf but from the pic I saw, couldn't see a thing. VW now beats Hyundai/Kia in the warranty department, as I want a long one next time.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    We keep our a/c at 79 when we're home

Amazing how everyone's body is different! Mine never goes above 74. Mostly it's on 72.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I don’t put the AC on unless it gets above 80 inside, or super humid. And that’s just because the dog gets hot.

Sandy, might be a bit underpowered for you. But try it out.

We tend to run our AC when temps are above 75 in our house - it gets stuffy, quickly after that. Combined with my kid's tendency to get Croup, cool air is the ticket.
    Have decided to write to VW headquarters and see if they'd be willing to help me pay for this last repair I had with my drivers door lock. Makes no sense for what happened really and the repairs were a bit on the expensive side. Figure if I don't ask, I'll never know and hey, the worst they can say is "no"!
    This worked twice with Honda when there were a couple of issues that they eventually covered as a recall. Both times I wrote them a letter and both times they sent me a check for just over half of each issue. Should I have gotten a full refund, yes...but took what they offered because figured it was the best I could get. Sometimes things in life ain't always fair so I took the best I could and moved on.
    Hopefully VW will see my point and help me pay for either all or part of the repairs. The worst they can say, again is "no" but ya don't get if ya don't ask! And I'm gonna ask!

edited June 2019
    @Sandman6472 - yes, the worst they can say is ‘no’ and after diesel-gate, maybe they’re in the customer service mood. At the least, maybe they’ll split the difference.

I should do this more. Reasonably ask for something from a service provider etc when service was subpar or an item failed earlier than normal.

I’m really getting the fever for a Tacoma. After hearing some of the numbers @nyccarguy was seeing a month ago my crazy little mind has me wondering if I could bury the negative equity in the X1 on a nice Tacoma lease. That blue or cement color they have looks really good!

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543
    au1994 said:

I’m really getting the fever for a Tacoma. After hearing some of the numbers @nyccarguy was seeing a month ago my crazy little mind has me wondering if I could bury the negative equity in the X1 on a nice Tacoma lease. That blue or cement color they have looks really good!

Who are you trying to kid? I have never seen "cement" on a car that looks good. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Lol, yeah, I expected you’d chime in on that one.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    Sometimes just a matter of perception.

Aztek vs Aztek buried in cement, for example.

I have pics for comparison, but the pic tool decided not to show for work today here at Edmunds.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543
    qbrozen said:

I have pics for comparison, but the pic tool decided not to show for work today here at Edmunds.

At least he didn't say he liked the "salt" look. If he did I'd have turned him over to @oldfarmer50. He'd never be seen or heard of again after that. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    qbrozen said:

Seems to be radio silence on that issue.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    au1994 said:

Don’t forget, you are part of Southeastern Toyota which has different Lease programs than the rest of the country.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,997
    nyccarguy said:

au1994 said:

Don’t forget, you are part of Southeastern Toyota which has different Lease programs than the rest of the country.
    FYI, NJ and PA have different Toyota lease programs - NY region vs CAT region.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788

Wife accepted a new job today - bump in pay, better title, and incredible benefits. 2 months to the day from when her company closed.

She starts next week, I think.

Not surprised in the least! Congratulations to you both.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    nyccarguy said:

au1994 said:

True. But all I hear in my head is “want, want, want!” :smile:

edited June 2019
    Quote off the dealership website for a Double Cab TRD Sport is 390.14 for a 36/12 lease with 2k down. Sticker was 40,800. Inlcludes taxes and fees.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

au1994 said:

That's interesting. Usually NY is grouped with NJ & CT as part of the "tri state area."

Similarly to the SET distribution is Subaru of New England which is a separate distributor from Subaru of America. Do they have separate mf & residuals?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,997
    nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

au1994 said:

That's interesting. Usually NY is grouped with NJ & CT as part of the "tri state area."

Similarly to the SET distribution is Subaru of New England which is a separate distributor from Subaru of America. Do they have separate mf & residuals?
    Not that we've seen

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

au1994 said:

Depends who you ask. I've seen any number of combinations called "the tristate area." Growing up, I always knew it as PA, NJ, NY.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

au1994 said:

Depends who you ask. I've seen any number of combinations called "the tristate area." Growing up, I always knew it as PA, NJ, NY.
    I knew it as PA, NJ, and DE.
    Always had ads on the Mets games talking about the NY, NJ, CT region as an entity. I know they had the “tri-Honda dealers”. That was basically the NYC metro area. Growing up there, it was always called the tristate area.

Northern CT belongs to NE, and south jersey belongs to philly metro area.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

au1994 said:

I knew it as PA, NJ, and DE.
    OH, KY and IN

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator