Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    au1994 said:

I’m really getting the fever for a Tacoma. After hearing some of the numbers @nyccarguy was seeing a month ago my crazy little mind has me wondering if I could bury the negative equity in the X1 on a nice Tacoma lease. That blue or cement color they have looks really good!

That was a big point for me as well, I got the Tacoma partly to help with the negative equity in the Touareg.

I got cement and get lots of compliments on the color.
  • marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @ MP and Cousy‘s, so glad to hear the news on your father.
    @ 28 firefighter, oh OK, I guess I was confusing you and TJC without vacations ha ha Ha.
    @Sand man, yes soon you’ll be able to do some test drives and see what you like and what works best for you.g send man, yes soon you’ll be able to do some test drives and see what you like and what works best for you.
    @ send man, can’t hurt to send VW and email or letter why not like you said you don’t know if you don’t ask.
    And if the W says no, at least you tried. How is your daughter liking her cruise?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425
    We had a decent amount of seat time in the Pilot yesterday (nothing like @cdnpinhead or @corvette). We dropped my 12 year old son off at camp in Byfield, MA. It was a 426 mile round trip. A beautiful, 3 1/2 hour drive up and a grueling 4 1/2 hour ride home with lots of rain.

My wife's parents bought some kayaks a few years ago. Due to some minor aging issues (and because they don't want to cheap sell them), they have offered the kayaks to us on numerous occasions along with the trailer. Truthfully we could use them. We go to the beach and can go out on Long Island Sound. My kids can kayak and eventually they won't like going to the beach just to build sand castles. Truth be told, I just don't want to deal with them/store them. Nor do I want to trek out to their place on Long Island (1 hr 15 min 1 way) to get these things and trailer them home with my Pilot.

We pull into a restaurant parking lot and back in right next to a TRD SPort Tacoma with 2 Kayaks sticking out of the back. I tell her that's the truck I was looking at. She looks and says, "well you can fit the kayaks in without a trailer." I replied: "Yes you can!" She then asked me at dinner "if you really would want to drive a pickup truck instead of your Infiniti."

"Well, no. I'd MUCH rather drive the Infiniti, but I'm going to fall out of love with it at some point. Why not get rid of it while I still have some fond memories. Plus at the price point per month compared to it's MSRP it will be hard to beat for 2 years."

We shall see what happens

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

au1994 said:

I’m really getting the fever for a Tacoma. After hearing some of the numbers @nyccarguy was seeing a month ago my crazy little mind has me wondering if I could bury the negative equity in the X1 on a nice Tacoma lease. That blue or cement color they have looks really good!

Don’t forget, you are part of Southeastern Toyota which has different Lease programs than the rest of the country.
    FYI, NJ and PA have different Toyota lease programs - NY region vs CAT region.
    That's interesting. Usually NY is grouped with NJ & CT as part of the "tri state area."

Similarly to the SET distribution is Subaru of New England which is a separate distributor from Subaru of America. Do they have separate mf & residuals?
    Depends who you ask. I've seen any number of combinations called "the tristate area." Growing up, I always knew it as PA, NJ, NY.
    I knew it as PA, NJ, and DE.
    OH, KY and IN
    As an Ohioan, Kentucky seems the south to me. For us more IN, OH and PA.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382
    edited June 2019
    Well, don’t look my way for any discouragement!

Went in to the office today but may try to go drive a Tacoma over lunch Thursday or Friday. My (very) flawed logic is rather than spend 1k on tires for a car neither of us really cares for, why not put the 1k down on the Tacoma and the last number I was quoted was 55/mo less than the X1. Outside of the gas mileage, the truck would be useful hauling stuff to the lake house which seems to be a never ending chore. Plus if the boat ever has to go in for service, I’ll have to pay the dealer to come get it or service it up there IE not at the dealer. Neither the X1 nor Crosstrek is towing a 21ft Sea Ray.

Lots of hurdles to cross though I’ll have to convince the wife though. She prefers that we be financing at least one vehicle instead of leasing both. Can’t say I blame her.

She would take the Subaru which she likes but not sure it would be her first choice if a new car is in the offing.

Plus I need to drive the Tacoma. I’ve had a Tacoma (95) and a Ram regular cab and a number of SUV’s but have not driven anything that big as a DD in close to 10 years. It may not be my cup of tea any longer.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537
    For such limited duty, seems like a good option would be a cheaper used one as a spare car. That’s the way I would want to do it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    suydam said:

kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

au1994 said:

Don’t forget, you are part of Southeastern Toyota which has different Lease programs than the rest of the country.
    That's interesting. Usually NY is grouped with NJ & CT as part of the "tri state area."

Similarly to the SET distribution is Subaru of New England which is a separate distributor from Subaru of America. Do they have separate mf & residuals?
    Depends who you ask. I've seen any number of combinations called "the tristate area." Growing up, I always knew it as PA, NJ, NY.
    OH, KY and IN
    I think the whole point is that the three states intersect at some point. Also, that it generally is attached to a metropolitan area of some kind. At least, that is the case here in the Tri-State. ;)

Pretty sure that OH, IN and PA don't intersect. OH, IN and MI intersect, but there is nothing there. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    well, NJ and CT don't intersect either, so I'm not sure what that's about.
    I would think it should form a triangle, but what do I know?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

well, NJ and CT don't intersect either, so I'm not sure what that's about.
    I would think it should form a triangle, but what do I know?

That's true... I thought about that.

I'd guess there are a dozen locations in the US, at least, where the TV weatherperson says, "It's going to be rainy today in the Tri-State area". They definitely say that in Cincinnati.

I have some faint memory of the same thing in Huntington, WV, when I was young.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

It’s based on metro area, usually a big city as the hub. So lower NY, N. Jersey and S Ct. for NYC trivstate.

Philly gets S jersey, eastern PA and northern Delaware.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,232
    Here in the West, we scoff at all your "Tri State" nonsense.

We've got the Four Corners, baby! (NM, AZ, UT, CO)

Population is probably a bunch of coyotes and some vultures, but still....

There is a monument there.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

stickguy said:

For such limited duty, seems like a good option would be a cheaper used one as a spare car. That’s the way I would want to do it.

There you go making sense again :smile:

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    kyfdx said:

suydam said:

kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

au1994 said:

OH, KY and IN
    I think the whole point is that the three states intersect at some point. Also, that it generally is attached to a metropolitan area of some kind. At least, that is the case here in the Tri-State. ;)

Pretty sure that OH, IN and PA don't intersect. OH, IN and MI intersect, but there is nothing there. ;)
    I’m pretty sure they do.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    au1994 said:

stickguy said:

There you go making sense again :smile:
    A cheaper Tacoma? I didn't think that existed, unless you go with something that has close to 100K miles on it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    edited June 2019

There's a Tacoma TRD Off Road offered by a broker in Philly for $165/month plus MSDs and doc fee, presumably broker fee too.

Oh and @nyccarguy it's black 😎

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    suydam said:

kyfdx said:

suydam said:

kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

au1994 said:

OH, KY and IN

I’m pretty sure they do.
    All three in one spot? Not on my map. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    edited June 2019
    pensfan83 said:

There's a Tacoma TRD Off Road offered by a broker in Philly for $165/month plus MSDs and doc fee, presumably broker fee too.

Tacoma’s and Tundras are certainly good leases right now ... even with the $400-$500 broker fees.

I know some of them are through US Bank and there are horror stories with them, but I had zero problems.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    stickguy said:

It’s based on metro area, usually a big city as the hub. So lower NY, N. Jersey and S Ct. for NYC trivstate.

So tri-half-states area? ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

That's either 1.5 states or 1/6 of a state, depending on how you look at it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

That's either 1.5 states or 1/6 of a state, depending on how you look at it.
    One metro area that has suburbs in three states - pretty much the definition of a tri-state area.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited June 2019

I've read the same. Although with msd's this is probably through Toyota Financial.

I also cracked and asked the wife what she thought. That deal is almost honestly too good to pass up.

EDIT: No go for me. Someone else should snag it though. It has just about every possible option.

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    pensfan83 said:

It really grinds my gears that I see these deals available in other regions. I doubt you could get anything close to this where I live.

In other news, I got to ride in the 4Runner I helped my friend find when I was in Duluth last week. Nice truck, felt like a 7/8 size Tahoe (in a good way). Someone had installed noisy Ironman tires, and the backup cam didn’t have guidelines that moved when the steering wheel turned, but other than that, I liked it. I can see enough there to understand how people are very loyal to that model.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,390
    corvette said:

pensfan83 said:

It really grinds my gears that I see these deals available in other regions. I doubt you could get anything close to this where I live.

In other news, I got to ride in the 4Runner I helped my friend find when I was in Duluth last week. Nice truck, felt like a 7/8 size Tahoe (in a good way). Someone had installed noisy Ironman tires, and the backup cam didn’t have guidelines that moved when the steering wheel turned, but other than that, I liked it. I can see enough there to understand how people are very loyal to that model.

Taxes may differ but you can fly in and drive back.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

I couldn't get it in Pittsburgh either but Philly is an hour by plane and it would have been a good excuse to visit a few college friends in Delaware and Philly. Alas the manual is a deal killer and if I got tired of it I would have zero issues flipping it here.

corvette said:

pensfan83 said:

Nice! They way some of them are advertised, I thought they only applied if you lived in that region.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,390
    corvette said:

corvette said:

pensfan83 said:

Nice! They way some of them are advertised, I thought they only applied if you lived in that region.
    Sometimes he advertises leases through local credit unions - those do have residency restrictions. But most of the time it’s Ally or US Bank.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    corvette said:

pensfan83 said:

I think the thing to do would be to lease a TRD Pro 4Runner that has (I think) the same residual (according to TFS) as the “regular” 4Runners with MSDs through a northeast broker that gives a healthy discount. Supposedly these go for StIcker Plus Out west. At pretty much any point in time you should be able to dump it for more than your payoff.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

pensfan83 said:

I saw that. Insane. At that price, I could ALMOST look into getting another car for the other 10K per year I drive. Or keep the Infiniti and add that to the fleet.

Property tax bills came in the mail today. Real Estate taxes up a little over 5% from last year. Crossed over the $10K per year threshold.

Personal Property Tax on the 3 cars is $1,098

nyccarguy said:

pensfan83 said:

I saw that. Insane. At that price, I could ALMOST look into getting another car for the other 10K per year I drive. Or keep the Infiniti and add that to the fleet.

Property tax bills came in the mail today. Real Estate taxes up a little over 5% from last year. Crossed over the $10K per year threshold.

OMG on the property tax! I pay almost $5k, and half of that is from the neighborhood I live in.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    nyccarguy said:

OUCH. :( Your rent isn't cheap!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Its a no for me as well. Wife just does not want a truck in the fleet.

One of the dealers around here has a Voodoo Blue TRD Pro 4Runner. It looks so bad [non-permissible content removed].

edited June 2019
    Yeah, thats a cool blue as well. The Tacoma I was onto was the Cavalry Blue which I really like. I like that the 4Runner keeps the 'sport' in SUV. It is still an old school, trucky SUV thats capable off-road if one so chooses.

There's plenty of great CUV's out there. Glad Toyota has kept the same formula with the 4Runner.

I’m in philly region. Dont need another car though. But if I was shopping now, I would not pass up that deal.

nyccarguy said:

corvette said:

pensfan83 said:

I think the thing to do would be to lease a TRD Pro 4Runner that has (I think) the same residual (according to TFS) as the “regular” 4Runners with MSDs through a northeast broker that gives a healthy discount. Supposedly these go for StIcker Plus Out west. At pretty much any point in time you should be able to dump it for more than your payoff.
    Yeah, but I’m not looking to dump the Tahoe. 😂
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,557
    stickguy said:

I’m in philly region. Dont need another car though. But if I was shopping now, I would not pass up that deal.

I'm not a truck guy. I wouldn't know a good price on a truck if it bit on the most sensitive part of my body. I only go to the grocery store when I lose the coin flip with Mrs. j but I'd know a better deal on a head of lettuce than a truck. Therefore, I guess I'll have to take you guys word as to it being a good deal but if this price is for a 2019, aren't you essentially buying a year old truck which should be less now than at introduction time?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    edited June 2019
    My wife said she wouldn't mind a truck.... I wouldn't mind grabbing a Tundra on some of the crazy leases on LH, then trying to dump the Enclave a little early.

I'm going to be a busy car shopper starting around Labor Day.

Elantra goes back 11/7/2019
    Mom's RAV goes back 12/1/2019
    Enclave goes back 9/7/2020

GM always offers (me anyway) a pull ahead but unless we are getting another Enclave or Traverse there isn't anything else GM I think I'd buy. The LaCrosse and Regal lease like crap so they are out.

tjc78 said:

My wife said she wouldn't mind a truck.... I wouldn't mind grabbing a Tundra on some of the crazy leases on LH, then trying to dump the Enclave a little early.

I'm going to be a busy car shopper starting around Labor Day.

Elantra goes back 11/7/2019
    Mom's RAV goes back 12/1/2019
    Enclave goes back 9/7/2020

GM always offers (me anyway) a pull ahead but unless we are getting another Enclave or Traverse there isn't anything else GM I think I'd buy. The LaCrosse and Regal lease like crap so they are out.

Yep, you are going to have a fun end of the year! All of you need to decide on one make and you could roll onto the lot in September and make some sales persons day..."we'll take a RAV4, a Tundra and an Avalon please"

If Tacomas are still leasing like that in a year and there's no attractive lease options available at that point in time on sedans or sporty SUVs I would consider picking one up as a stop gap until something more attractive was available. Would need to be an auto though.

edited June 2019
    pensfan83 said:

If Tacomas are still leasing like that in a year and there's no attractive lease options available at that point in time on sedans or sporty SUVs I would consider picking one up as a stop gap until something more attractive was available. Would need to be an auto though.

It would be a cool change of pace for you even if you only did a 24 mo lease. I’ve seen some strong numbers on that term, just not in my area. I’m in GA and the ad valorem tax doesn’t make for as favorable lease terms as other areas. They are there, you just have to work a little harder :smile:

"we'll take a RAV4, a Tundra and an Avalon please"

I really want to like the Avalon, (I had an 03 and 06) but I just can't get past that front.

edited June 2019
    Like why.... the rest isn't bad

For my daily commute of a few miles 3 days/week to the bus depot and other regular use it would be fine. I would still have the Prelude, during April to mid-November anyway, for a change of pace. If it's an auto my wife already said she would be agreeable to driving one and her commute is 15-20 miles one way depending on route taken.

I think the Avalon is probably the lease garish grill of the Toyota and Lexus car line.

au1994 said:

I think the Avalon is probably the lease garish grill of the Toyota and Lexus car line.

I can't agree on that one. It's just so huge and out of place.

Lexus at least has that spindle look across the line. Toyota are all a little different, in varying degrees of ugly.