Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,241

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    time capsule BMW. I still like the older ones better when they really were drivers cars, and simpler. But I always thought that vintage 320 was not a particularly good car?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    That Zenos ecoboost is pretty cool. I have no idea of value, though. Maybe $15k? seems like for an orphan car like this, it's gotta take a hard hit regardless of few miles, etc.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I love that willy's. what a cool car. Never going to see another one like that.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    Yeah, the Willy’s is awesome.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,062
    stickguy said:

time capsule BMW. I still like the older ones better when they really were drivers cars, and simpler. But I always thought that vintage 320 was not a particularly good car?

Unfairly maligned, IMO. Mostly revisionist history. The E30 was a big leap in ‘84, and was available with a 6 cylinder, eventually. So, it suffers in comparison. But, in the time period (‘77-‘83), it was a great car. My girlfriend bought a ‘79 in 1984, and I was in love. 😏

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,390
    In love with the girl or the car?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382
    Very nice 320i. I too am glad to see them getting some love in the BMW world even though I don't have any seat time in one.

Since nobody asked, the E46 is the pinnacle for me. Just a beautiful, timeless design in any form. Still very much an analog drivers car. The E30 is pretty special too, it was a step up in refinement and with the lovely I6 is a blast to drive. The E36 is a nice enough successor but I have never warmed to the styling as much. E9x is pretty good to. Starting to get a little more away from the pure driver/analog experience but still good. And then there's the F30. Its a great drive train in search of a great chassis. Noticeable cheapening of the interior bits too in spots where BMW thought/hoped you wouldn't notice.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

I think he E46 was about the perfect car.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,062
    stickguy said:

Still is.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

stickguy said:

Weak shock towers and a bit down on power in anything less than ZHP trim, so I’d have to avoid calling it “perfect.” ;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

At Carsense in Mt Holly with dad’s Subaru. Fingers crossed.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555

Earlier this week I upgraded the Prelude's speakers in the front with a set of Pioneer 3 ways. The drivers side wasn't working at all and the passenger sounded blown. Left the rears alone for now since they are more involved due to the amplifier that powers the acoustic feedback system. Oh my, what a difference...even with the stock stereo. Gave it a wash last night before storms rolled through and checked all the fluids, there's a very small leak developing around the distributor so I suspect the o-ring needs replaced.

We are currently childless (they are with my parents and their cousins in Ohio at Great Wolf Lodge) so we're going away to the Laurel Highlands for the weekend and taking the Prelude. Anxious to have some extended seat time on the highway.

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    pensfan83 said:

Earlier this week I upgraded the Prelude's speakers in the front with a set of Pioneer 3 ways. The drivers side wasn't working at all and the passenger sounded blown. Left the rears alone for now since they are more involved due to the amplifier that powers the acoustic feedback system. Oh my, what a difference...even with the stock stereo. Gave it a wash last night before storms rolled through and checked all the fluids, there's a very small leak developing around the distributor so I suspect the o-ring needs replaced.

We are currently childless (they are with my parents and their cousins in Ohio at Great Wolf Lodge) so we're going away to the Laurel Highlands for the weekend and taking the Prelude. Anxious to have some extended seat time on the highway.

Enjoy the road trip.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    edited June 2019
    qbrozen said:

Way back when, they gave a strong offer for my 09 Genesis. Autolenders ended up with the best # by almost $1,000 IIRC, otherwise it would have went to CarSense.

Good luck!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,426
    qbrozen said:

gOOD lUCK!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

qbrozen said:

Sold!

So we had been emailing back and forth this morn. Told him it is a drive so I'd like a ballpark. Of course, he said he couldn't, but he did ask what I was expecting. I was straightforward and explained Carvana offered $18.5k but gave me a hard time about the title situation. He said $18.5k sounds perfectly reasonable if the car is as described. And, if I could get there before noon today, they'd give me a ride home. OK, cool, I'm on my way.

It was pretty painless. BUT, the kicker, and something I dreaded hearing ... the car has had paintwork. UGH! I didn't inspect it myself and just went on the fact that my dad never mentioned anything. They said the roof, hood, and trunk were painted. No side panels, just the top of the car. But its not on carfax. So theory was hail damage at the dealership. HOWEVER, due to crazy low mileage and condition otherwise, they'd still give me $18k. GREAT! I thought that was more than generous given the finding. While waiting on paperwork, I texted my sister and she said he did have a situation where leaves had left permanent marks in the paint, so the dealership repainted it. Wow, OK, news to me. But I passed that info along to Carsense. Was back home about 2.5 hrs after I left this morn.

Glad you were able to get a price you were comfortable with.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

I don't recall asking myself the question on RWTIV. :b

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @qb glad dads car is sold and all is whell!
    In case anyone is wondering just how desperate Subaru dealers are - a local one just quoted me $9000 off MSRP on an Outback 3.6R Touring. It's for finance purchases and isn't compatible with 0%, but still...
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    Does $9k off make it about a $30k car? That’s pretty good.
    corvette said:

Does $9k off make it about a $30k car? That’s pretty good.

$31k+ TTL

In case anyone is wondering just how desperate Subaru dealers are - a local one just quoted me $9000 off MSRP on an Outback 3.6R Touring. It's for finance purchases and isn't compatible with 0%, but still...

You didn’t get a lease quote?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

good deal. if I was in the market, would interest me. at that price might be better than leasing. Since they still hold value really well.

Much higher on a lease by about $2k.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    No offense to the Outback, but the $40K sticker is outrageous, so $9K off doesn't entirely surprise me.

At $31K they make sense. Remember, the Alltrack outscored it on CR and if you don't need the extra 15% of size you can get an Alltrack out the door for that much.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    andres3 said:

No offense to the Outback, but the $40K sticker is outrageous, so $9K off doesn't entirely surprise me.

At $31K they make sense. Remember, the Alltrack outscored it on CR and if you don't need the extra 15% of size you can get an Alltrack out the door for that much.

Maybe in handling. But the 1.8T doesn’t even compare to the 3.6. At least not without a tune.
    28 firefighter, that’s an awesome deal that are getting on our backs I would jump all over one if I had the need now.
    Nice on everything else posted in here the past two days everybody. My favorite color of all time on our car any car looks good in it if you ask me is red. Blue’s second. Or maybe even orange.
    I like the red 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe my mom had but she at least back then that’s the best car color she’s had today. Was far from blend but your other colors she’s had since. Oh growing up we had a dark blue Nissan quest 1994. That was nice too.
    Happy Friday everyone, I hope that everyone had a good week. Have a good weekend. Going to be beautiful weather here in the north east,
    Got out in the Thunderbird Wednesday from most three hours with my cousin, it’s him driving around and looking at cars just close we can. In my old neighborhood but are used to live, came across this nice bed 1994 Ford explore the owner happen to be there it was a four car garage and was nice, it’s a one family owner car, and only has 51,000 miles, it is kept in the garage in the winter and not driven fully loaded. Thought that was awesome because it’s a real reality these days.
    Was thinking to go to the local Cruise night then, but I have said to my cousin, let’s just drive around it’s more fun, how many of the same stories can be here for the older people with their cars gets old ha ha, no offense to anyone in here. Can always go another time have a whole summer to end of September to go.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,983

Was thinking to go to the local Cruise night then, but I have said to my cousin, let’s just drive around it’s more fun, how many of the same stories can be here for the older people with their cars gets old ha ha, no offense to anyone in here. Can always go another time have a whole summer to end of September to go.

So glad you’re out having fun out and about. Remind my feeble memory, what year Thunderbird do you have, color, general description. My dad is legally blind and only can see shadows. In the last 3 years he’s been suffering from Parkinson’s yet you won’t find anyone with a more positive attitude.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

andres3 said:

Maybe in handling. But the 1.8T doesn’t even compare to the 3.6. At least not without a tune.
    True, I'll concede that, but the CVT doesn't compare to the DSG either, in my opinion, and objectively, for fuel economy. I can average as much as 27 MPG, even with the tune, and both are AWD.

The 1.8T without a tune sits solidly right between or the middle of the 2.5 and 3.6.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    nyccarguy said:

andres3 said:

nyccarguy said:

andres3 said:

So the VW hitting 30K miles is as great of a reason as any to trade it in and get another car and make a punch, right? I think I'm asking the right crowd here :smile:

You know, in order to avoid the big 30K mile service job.

What better way to celebrate Father’s Day than with a punch?
    Unfortunately Carmax is calling over 42 people's bluffs and not lowering the price on the red S4 we are all watching and waiting for them to drop the price on. It's been on their San Jose lot's location for quite some time without a price drop.

I think watching and "favoriting" the car hurts us (us being the 42 plus that have Favorited it). Less than 28K miles on a '15, as soon as they price drop-it; it'll sell. As long as we don't keep pinging their algorithm to hold off on the price drop because we keep looking at the website.

Two biggest flaws are:

1) NO Nappa Leather
    2) NO B&O sound system

Other then that, appears to be loaded model.

How long has it been on their lot?  Maybe they paid more than they should have.

I think it's been on their lot a LONG TIME! I'm dumbfounded they haven't slashed the price again.

The 2 minor accident one in Richmond has had a birthday on that used car dealer's lot; not good!
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    If it can be confirmed the accidents were extremely minor, such as only a bumper cover replacement I would be very hesitant to buy. It will always be in your subconscious that the car was wrecked and possibly not right, and it becomes an issue again at resale.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

edited June 2019
    stickguy said:

good deal. if I was in the market, would interest me. at that price might be better than leasing. Since they still hold value really well.

Well, let’s see...

A 2016 with 36k miles pulls $22k at auction. That’s 29% down from purchase price. $3k/yr. $250/mo. Tax/tags/fees... estimate $1500, or $500/yr. total $291.67/mo. Of course, that is before interest, which is about $50/mo on a good 60-mo term with $0 down. So ~$342/mo in the end. About 0.85% of MSRP per month. Pretty strong for a subaru, but can do a bit better on some German cars.

And, no, I have no idea why I just went through all of that. LOL

so was it better to lease still?

one thing with this, if I was getting it now, it would be the wife's car, and something we want to keep long term (10 years probably). so the lease vs. buy equation is different. might still lease if it was an overwhelming deal, and figure out 3 years from now what to do (buy it, lease new, buy a replacement).

she does not like change much. Gets used to how everything works, and wants to stick with it. She still does not understand how to do half the stuff my car can do.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382

Stop. Just stop.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

About every 2-3 weeks, my Subaru dealer sends me a post card telling me we can “upgrade” our Outback to a 2019 model and save a bunch of money each month. The offer is now down to $470/mo for a 3.6R limited.

The fine print shows the trade value, which is $1000 less than Carmax and $2000 or more less than Vrooms offer.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

About every 2-3 weeks, my Subaru dealer sends me a post card telling me we can “upgrade” our Outback to a 2019 model and save a bunch of money each month. The offer is now down to $470/mo for a 3.6R limited.

The fine print shows the trade value, which is $1000 less than Carmax and $2000 or more less than Vrooms offer.

Me too!

Interestingly the one dealer did tell me it is really pushing down trade values for late model outbacks. I haven’t seen that but interesting nonetheless.
    @SDA it’s a 1961 Ford Thunderbird, yellow color with black interior. Eventually have to redo the dashboard and carpet, and headliner not in the best of shape, but someone redid the seats prior to me hey, I don’t want it perfect anyway perfectly fine. Have to do the weatherstripping all around eventually, just did the trunk so far. And eventually one day the paint all a work in progress little by little. That’s awesome you don’t legally blind to as well, and very positive, that’s the way to be enjoy every day to the fullest. He could see a little bit less than me I can see the sheep and color of things and every little detail, when it’s daytime nighttime outside, hair, skin color, clothes color, can read large print letters up close slowly, I know Grill too, I was taught both. But this is all lighting being really good with seeing the colors and shapes of things, if it’s dark outside like my time forget about it no way. Enjoy your Saturday, and also everyone else in here too As well, hot hot hot outside, but no complaints from me I’ll take it over the cold personally any day. Was gonna attempt to start painting the inside of the trunk of the Thunderbird of the port 15 can I tempt it on my own, but today is not the day has to be cooler out. And I have no trees around direct sunlight burn up. Got a find someone to go to the beach with, or maybe see if my aunt and uncle are around and go in they were swimming pool later on. Ha ha
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited June 2019
    Hey folks. With one year of my 3-year lease over, I'm still enjoying my 2018 TLX tech. The sound system is very good, the 4-wheel steering is fun, the Milano leather seats are comfortable, handling is good, and acceleration with the 2.4 is fine for me and gets in the mid to high 20s in the city and the mid to high 30s on the highway. I'm now at 13,500 miles, and so a bit above my 12k a year lease. Seems like the kind of car that with maintenance and some luck might last to 200k, and it's nice enough that I feel like might even enjoy driving it for that long. But we'll see. Anyway, I've been busy with work and other stuff the last few months, but I'd be interested in how other people are doing with their rides these days. Any new car purchases recently happen or about to happen?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)

Punch pending.

Oh, wow.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator