Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    edited July 2019
    pensfan83 said:

The entire area is close enough to be convenient but far enough to make you feel like the city is hundreds of miles away.

Very true! We came from the north side when we stopped in there, and it seemed fairly rural (for that part of the country, anyway) for a good many miles. However, we left from the south end and headed to Baltimore to catch our flight home, and I was shocked at how quickly that rural feel vanished.

It is probably one of the few towns in America that doesn't even have a fueling station. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,391
    Someone submitted an app on the Stelvio, so we'll see how that goes. I'll take over driving the BMW for 5 more months. Then we need to figure out what comes next.

For the life of me, I have no idea what I want - except another GTI of course, which is not a viable option at this point for size reasons.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    With family hauling duties taken over by the Outback, what about a GLI?
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    edited July 2019
    It is high on the list. My one serious concern about it is that, wait for it, it has no rear air conditioning vents. I have no idea what clown came up with that cost cutting measure but the importance of cool air flowing to the back of a car with kids is crucial in avoiding motion sickness...
  • marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @ 28 firefighter good luck I hope it goes through readable to swap the lease to new person with no issues. What site are you using? You have five months to decide what you want, man eventually you’ll be able to get another GTI again when the kids are a bit older I guess. Anyone in here have any suggestions on what he should get, I’m guessing best to be an SUV?
    edited July 2019
    Let me also add that as your son gets older having more than one USB port is a must if he has any electronic devices. If there's one gripe about the Acura it's that it only has one USB port in the front console. We're pretty regimented when it comes to "technology" as its known in our house but over a 4-5 hour drive things eventually die. Which means when devices need charged I need to unplug from Waze for example.

And that is a bizarre omission, I thought that was pretty much standard fare now.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,732
    Much against my better judgement, I'll be on the Cape this 4th weekend, with the GF and her family. Visiting such natural wonders as ice cream stands and mini-golf courses. Perhaps a trip to Martha's Vineyard on her uncle's boat for lunch (actually, I hope we do that, he does it somewhat regularly).

Likely, she'll be driving us down in the CX-5, easier for her mother to ingress/egress than my car.

The urge to new car grows stronger, perhaps I don't trust entering year 7 in the XF. Although, it's given me no signs of impending doom... In the realm of reality replacements, looking to go smaller, on my radar:

'20 Jag XE (I've read good reviews of the updates. And, well, Jag)
    Volvo S60
    Porsche Macan, likely used. Really, the only SUV/CUV whatever that interests me, not even the Jag SUV's pique my interest.
    BMW M235/M240
    MB C43
    Audi A5 Coupe or SportBack.

But, it's so nice not having car payments and minimal property taxes on the 5.5 yo XF.

What's a staid, frugal New England boy to do?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    pensfan83 said:

Let me also add that as your son gets older having more than one USB port is a must if he has any electronic devices. If there's one gripe about the Acura it's that it only has one USB port in the front console. We're pretty regimented when it comes to "technology" as its known in our house but over a 4-5 hour drive things eventually die. Which means when devices need charged I need to unplug from Waze for example.

I’d invest in a 12v USB charger that plugs into the lighter socket (and a splitter for the socket if it’s otherwise occupied). I have chargers like that in both cars.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,427

It is high on the list. My one serious concern about it is that, wait for it, it has no rear air conditioning vents. I have no idea what clown came up with that cost cutting measure but the importance of cool air flowing to the back of a car with kids is crucial in avoiding motion sickness...

What's more important? Driving Dyanmics or Rear A/C Vents? LOL!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539

Someone submitted an app on the Stelvio, so we'll see how that goes. I'll take over driving the BMW for 5 more months. Then we need to figure out what comes next.

For the life of me, I have no idea what I want - except another GTI of course, which is not a viable option at this point for size reasons.

I know someone trying to unload an Alltrak!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Open the windows. Will get more air than you know what to do with. Side bonus, can’t hear the whining!

On the USB, I have a USB splitter and a cig lighter adapter. So we make do. Other option is a power pack charger.

nyccarguy said:

What's more important? Driving Dyanmics or Rear A/C Vents? LOL!
    Yes.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    Other option is a power pack charger

I must have 10 of those around between briefcase, home and office (vendors give them out all the time) but never seem to have one when I need it.

Enclave has three ports, 2 of which are charge only in the second row. I wish it had a 110V outlet like our LaCrosse did. That was handy.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I’m pretty sure my TLX has 2 USB ports up front. No clue about the back though.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,427
    @28firefighter - That was quick!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

stickguy said:

I’m pretty sure my TLX has 2 USB ports up front. No clue about the back though.

Are you referring to the bin in front of the gear selector? If so mine has a USB port and 12V there. In the center console there's the aux jack and another 12V port. There's no USB ports in the back.
    I need to check later.

New Palisades is on sale now thank went on sale yesterday because none locally here was looking online in case anyone’s interested in a large SUV.
    You explore there’s also on sale two for none locally, who the search nationwide can’t find any just yet. Probably by next week will be some wasted. But plenty of leftover 2019 if anyone’s interested in a large SUV like that. I get my dad to start looking soon but he would need anything big like the two I mentioned. Need something mid size or smaller depending what he likes.
    Something tells me my dad will go with another Hyundai, he was already talking about a Santa Fe or Tucson.
    So I will see if my contact at the local Hyundai dealer and even 2 miles away if she still works there from a couple of years ago.
    I just now got an email from dealer that palisades arrived. Looks nice, good revues, but way too big for us.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    I agree, too large, at least for our next purchase. I think the Passport will be a contender for my wife. She also likes the Audi Q5 but is wary of potential expensive maintenance and repairs based on our experience with previous German cars.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,253
    kyfdx said:

US Bank just sent me the "you are getting close to lease end" letter on the Tacoma.. Just 358 days before lease end... :s

Funny, as I've got about 6 weeks left on the Jetta and haven't heard from VW about scheduling the lease end inspection.

The dealers, OTOH, are pretty persistent...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

my wife might like the passport. Will feel a little more like our RDX maybe. But who knows. If we were looking now, I would also show her the V60 and XC60 Volvos, BMW X3, and Subaru OB (new one). along with the Passport and RDX. Might throw in a Santa Fe just for kicks.

First day of rain here in Seattle. The outback definitely isn't new anymore now, though somehow I feel as though it will feel more at home in the rain and looking a little dirty than it will in shiny new condition.
    I had to chase after VW. they finally sent something maybe a month before. All the info was online though. Need to call to schedule someone to come out and inspect it at your house. Then just drop it at a dealer and go.

Palisade will be on the list to replace the Enclave next year. I’m on the other side I wish it was the same size as the Enclave. I’m not sure what the numbers say, but it certainly seemed a little smaller (especially behind the third row) when I looked at it during the Philly car show.

Hyundai hasn’t said a peep and mine goes back 11/7.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    The CR-V is closer in size to the Q5, IMO. Can’t really comment on reliability, as my parents’ ‘18 only has about 10,000 miles.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    corvette said:

The CR-V is closer in size to the Q5, IMO. Can’t really comment on reliability, as my parents’ ‘18 only has about 10,000 miles.

Though we’ve had a CR-V in the past, a good vehicle that only required regular maintenance, my wife isn’t interested in another one. I won’t rule it out.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

stickguy said:

I had to chase after VW. they finally sent something maybe a month before. All the info was online though. Need to call to schedule someone to come out and inspect it at your house. Then just drop it at a dealer and go.

Thanks for the update. I make my last payment on the 17th, so if I haven't heard anything by then, I'll chase after them.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

you can go to VW credit website and log into your account. there is a tab for lease ending. I think you can request the inspection right from there. Or it has the number to call. you really don't need VW at all. Once the inspector comes out, he submits the eval to VWC and all you need to do is show up at a dealer and hand it over.

stickguy said:

you can go to VW credit website and log into your account. there is a tab for lease ending. I think you can request the inspection right from there. Or it has the number to call. you really don't need VW at all. Once the inspector comes out, he submits the eval to VWC and all you need to do is show up at a dealer and hand it over.

Done!

Inspection set for 7/18, one month and one day before the return date.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

if you wanted a replacement they would take care of it all together. but even if you just hand it back, they bill you later and you have some time (60 days I think) to get a new VW and they cancel the disposition fee. That is what we did.

stickguy said:

if you wanted a replacement they would take care of it all together. but even if you just hand it back, they bill you later and you have some time (60 days I think) to get a new VW and they cancel the disposition fee. That is what we did.

I read through the end of lease process. I may have to attend to the dent on the front passenger door, depending on the size, and I know there will be a disposition fee, which I'll get billed for.

Still no plans to replace it, at this point. I drive it maybe once or twice a week at this point.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

I still have to get my wife's Uh Oh taken care of the passenger door of the Enclave. That's going to ding me $1,000 for sure. Ugh

Elantra should be good to go as usual. No dents or curb rash on the wheels. Interior is perfect except for two 1" light scratches on a door panel from me carrying a metal fixture that slid and hit the panel.

Michael, let them look first. they waive up to a certain size, and somewhat depends on the inspector's mood. if they are going to hit you for it you know up front, and have the option to just eat it or get it fixed yourself (though I believe that requires having someone come back out?) The couple of small items on my 2 leases I was worried about got noted in the inspection, but were both N/C.

I really think the overall condition of the car plays into it.

I'm sure when they inspect the car if it's clearly been through hell you'll get charged for something that is a little beyond the specs. OTOH if the car is otherwise perfect and cared for I can see the inspector letting the one thing go.

For example... I'm sure a smokers car that was never cleaned in three years would cost the same to make right than one ding that PDR could fix.

Hyundai sent a kit in the mail that included a measuring tool. if you could hide a ding or scratch under it, it was free.

Good to know. Where do you return the car, dealer?

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,068
    yup. once the inspection is done (at your house, or work, whereever) it is in the computer, and you just show up at a dealer and they finish up. Takes about 15 minutes for them to do a quick visual (comparing to the inspection report I assume) and check the miles, have you sign a turn in form, and you are good to go.

Perfect. I'll have them inspect at work and then just return to Turnersville since that's closer.. I'm 99% sure I won't be getting another Hyundai so I'll be stuck with the dispo fee.

Funny story from years ago. My 2006 Avalon was leased through an outside bank (Hann Financial) and they would inspect and pick up the car the same day. I arranged to have it done at work. I had someone ask if I was having hard times... they thought it was being repossessed. I asked why they would think that and the response was it happened to them.

while you are there can pick out the next car to take home! Unless of course you have it on hand first, since does not sound like you guys can get by with one.

edited July 2019
    No those days are over. We go in completely different directions now.

Like I said a few weeks ago. I'm going to start test driving around Labor Day.

Budget is $400 /month with $1000 DAS (preferably less)

Short list:

Volvo S60 (will have to get a Costco membership, as they offer a huge rebate)
    BMW 3/4 (loaners) Not having loyalty hurts on the 4
    Infiniti Q50
    Fusion Energi Titanium (wife really likes the idea of a plug in, me not so much)

I'm sure there are others, but the only thing for sure is it will not be an SUV!

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382
    tjc78 said:

Short list:

Infiniti Q50
    Fusion Energi Titanium (wife really likes the idea of a plug in, me not so much)

I'm sure there are others, but the only thing for sure is it will not be an SUV!

Nice list. I’m sure with the Costco discount you could get a nice S60 for those terms. That would be my choice.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

au1994 said:

tjc78 said:

Short list:

Infiniti Q50

Nice list. I’m sure with the Costco discount you could get a nice S60 for those terms. That would be my choice.
    If still available. The $3k Volvo S60 Costco rebate has expired...for now.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    tjc78 said:

Short list:

Infiniti Q50

You can get a better deal on a loaner S60 without costco.

Someone is currently advertising $57k T6 models for $339+tax with $2500 DAS.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S