Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• au1994au1994 Posts: 1,109
    Welcome @nyccarguy

I managed to order up some cooler weather for you this week. It was still in the 90s over the weekend 

2016 X6 35i Space Gray over Ivory w/Black Trim

2013 335i convertible M-Sport Alpine White over Black

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 19,647
    I am waiting in the airport now to head to Toronto for 2 days for business. i believe I am walking everywhere.

on the way here, I saw a gorgeous blue Q3 and fell in love. I then fell out of love when I looked up the specs. 0-60 in 7.8? No thanks.

'14 Jetta TDI wagon; '98 Volvo S70 base; '14 Town&Country Limited; '09 LR2 HSE. 41-car history and counting!

• stickguystickguy Posts: 20,869
    q3 tends to not be as well regarded as other Audis. One of the car mags just did a small CUV comparison, and it got panned. I would move up to the Q5 if could pay a little more. Those are nice.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2015 Jetta Sport (daughter's)

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 36,272
    qbrozen said:

I am waiting in the airport now to head to Toronto for 2 days for business. i believe I am walking everywhere.

on the way here, I saw a gorgeous blue Q3 and fell in love. I then fell out of love when I looked up the specs. 0-60 in 7.8? No thanks.

If you are in downtown Toronto, no need to have a car. Great system of tunnels that connect all the buildings - very much like an underground mall.
    stickguy said:

q3 tends to not be as well regarded as other Audis. One of the car mags just did a small CUV comparison, and it got panned. I would move up to the Q5 if could pay a little more. Those are nice.

Heck, this is Q - he ought to go whole hog and get the SQ5, like @breld.

2016 VW Jetta 1.4T SE / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

I have been speccing out 2017 A3s Much better value I think, and easier to get a build the way I want it (as long as can give up BLIS, since gotta spend all the bucks to get that!).

and can even save $3,000 if commit heresy and skip Quattro. Pricey option.

but, base car can get sport seats, steering wheel, suspension, and driver select mode, for only $900. FWD or AWD, either way. Gotta have that, just for the seats! And even better, not required to upgrade to 18" wheels to do it.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2015 Jetta Sport (daughter's)

• nelsonfnelsonf SeattlePosts: 104
    nyccarguy said:

nelsonf said:

I'm hoping to pick up my new M4 this week, so punch pending. :D

Beyond awesome! Best of luck! We want a full write up!
    Will do!

Currently own: 2011 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X Used to own: 2008 VW R32, 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 1987 BMW 325IS

• andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 7,151
    qbrozen said:

Hmmm... test drive the Q3 before you give up on it. I bet real world it beats the 7.8 easily as Audi is known to under-rate/over-time the cars in their stable.
    2016 Audi TTS 2.0T quattro AWD. 2016 Kia Optima LX 1.6T FWD. Wife 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE DSG FWD.
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 7,151
    stickguy said:

I have been speccing out 2017 A3s Much better value I think, and easier to get a build the way I want it (as long as can give up BLIS, since gotta spend all the bucks to get that!).

and can even save $3,000 if commit heresy and skip Quattro. Pricey option.

but, base car can get sport seats, steering wheel, suspension, and driver select mode, for only $900. FWD or AWD, either way. Gotta have that, just for the seats! And even better, not required to upgrade to 18" wheels to do it.

Check carefully, I think that $3K covers getting the correct engine (2.0T) in addition to quattro AWD vs. the cheaper 1.8T with FWD. For my money, that's the best $3,000 ever spent.

220 HP vs. 180 and like 1 better MPG while your at it. 2.0T > 1.8T in every way.
    2016 Audi TTS 2.0T quattro AWD. 2016 Kia Optima LX 1.6T FWD. Wife 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE DSG FWD.
    for 2017, looks like they ditched the 1.8t. All cars get the 2.0t now.

well, Honda annoyed me. They finally released config info on the Civic hatch. Contrary to rumors, the manual trans is once again only available on the strippo models. If you want an EX to get a few goodies (like a moonroof) or leather, tech, etc., it is CVT or shop elsewhere. I think I will shop elsewhere.

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 3,701
    Saw the new Cruze hatch at the Chevy dealer today, very very nice. An LT one with 16" wheels but would want the LTZ model since it'll probably get 17"ers. Overall, a great job by Chevy and think they will sell a whole lot of them. Might even get me to look at it!
    Sat in a CLA 250 and fell in love, mean I just loved it plus it's only a bit larger than my Golf. Prefer the white over beige as I sat in a black over black and just too hot for South Florida summers which last like 8.5 months, seriously. Would have to go CPO of course but would want one with no more than 9k/year. Time will tell.
    Nothing done on the extended warranty on my Golf yet [non-permissible content removed] till thinking things over. Might just wing it for another three years and then move on to something else...like that CLA 250. Just not sure, as I really do like the Golf when I'm in it or see it. So will make a decision once I hit 24K which leaves me about a month to decide.

The Sandman :) B)

(P.S. Totally in lust with the CLA 250, totally! I want one but might just be best to wait a bit!)

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

Must be fate, a Mercedes commercial just came on and as I was typing "CLA 250", the announcer said those same words while showing a pic! Gotta be karma folks...think it's meant to be!!!

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 19,647
    andres3 said:

Hmmm... test drive the Q3 before you give up on it. I bet real world it beats the 7.8 easily as Audi is known to under-rate/over-time the cars in their stable.
    That 7.8 is from a car mag

'14 Jetta TDI wagon; '98 Volvo S70 base; '14 Town&Country Limited; '09 LR2 HSE. 41-car history and counting!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 10,083
    Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

Boarding a plane to ATL for a couple days. Left my Legacy at work and took uber to the airport.

Getting a rental?
    No rental. Hopped on the MARTA train at the airport. It dropped me off 1/2 block away from my hotel.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 52,775
    7.7 for the AWD. Yep, it's on the Audi USA website as 7.8

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,945
    Talking about the A3, CLA, and travel was probably the best way one could spend this evening...
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 1,305
    nyccarguy said:
    Boarding a plane to ATL for a couple days. Left my Legacy at work and took uber to the airport.
    Getting a rental?
    No rental. Hopped on the MARTA train at the airport. It dropped me off 1/2 block away from my hotel.

How long are you in ATL for?

I will be downtown later this week for a conference. 
    2016 Volkswagen GTI S, 2015 Ford Escape Titanium AWD, 2013 Audi A3 TDI Premium Plus Titanium
    nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

Getting a rental?
    You folks in the northeast are used to public transit.

Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 1,066
    Has anyone driven the new Mazda CX 9? It really looks sharp and has received good reviews including CR. It may replace our Pilot in the next year or so.

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX

sda said:

Has anyone driven the new Mazda CX 9? It really looks sharp and has received good reviews including CR. It may replace our Pilot in the next year or so.

I know @breld was very interested in them, but not sure he's had the chance to drive one yet.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 4,323
    sda said:

It's a Mazda, so all the "auto journalists" will love it. Mazda is currently their favorite, the way Toyota and Honda used to be. I have a friend that had the previous-gen model and he could not wait to get rid of it. After about 2 years everything started going wrong. He now drives an Edge.

2014 Cadillac ATS4 2.0T, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

Funny, because the prior 9 was basically a ford!

Mazdas don't tend to be for people interested in the driving experience, which certainly isn't everyone

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 4,323
    stickguy said:

Funny, because the prior 9 was basically a ford!

Yes, I figure he must like less-than-robust vehicles! ;)

2014 Cadillac ATS4 2.0T, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

Oh what about the Mazda 3? It's handling has been often praised vis a vis most competitors.

Our Mazda3s was a pretty decent vehicle and though it had some issues after we hit 140K, wife seriously considered another one before she settled on her A3. She liked the way it drove but didn't like the huge hood on it plus the "S" model had a small digital speedometer on the lower right of the tach, something she absolutely hated. Tried to get me to get a hatch but thought the proportions were off. And after driving her A3, no way was I going into a Mazda. And the rest is history.
    The VW indie got my wipers in but VW sent the wrong size. Guy got smart, went outside and took a copy of my vin number so he can make sure they send the correct size. He also looked at my brake pads up front and said I've got plenty of meat left on them as I had asked him about putting on better pads than the oem kind when I need brakes. They also sell Interstate batteries and plan to swap mine out at the two year mark as down south here, oem ones usually last about that long. Not willing to have what happened to the wife's A3 happen to mine...one of her cells went bad forcing her to call roadside and get a jump. Luckily they replaced it with a new one under warranty but she was late for work and I had to go down to Ft. Lauderdale to meet her and drive her to her office. Luckily I was home that day.

Was a passenger in a new Mazda3 yesterday, think it was a base unit. Nice red color over black interior with decent seating material but the radio controls were a bit wonkey. Nice car though. Prefer an easy infotainment system like the one in my Golf with simple to use knobs. Hate the knobless kind in the new HR-V that one must use their fingers to operate, totally annoying. They use the same thing on the HVAC system which is plain dumb! But without haven't even driven one yet, I like it and plan to take a test drive soon.

ab348 said:

sda said:

It's a Mazda, so all the "auto journalists" will love it. Mazda is currently their favorite, the way Toyota and Honda used to be. I have a friend that had the previous-gen model and he could not wait to get rid of it. After about 2 years everything started going wrong. He now drives an Edge.
    The CX-9 "Signature Edition" is supposed to have a very tasty interior.

• sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 1,066
    I've had 4 Mazdas in the past: '80 626 coupe, '92 Miata, '96 Millenia, '98 Millenia L. They were all good cars and drove well. Nothing recently. With Ford out of Mazda's hair, hopefully they will be better for it.

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX

I had 3. Loved them all. 1986 323, 1991 626, and 2001 Miata.

stickguy said:

I had 3. Loved them all. 1986 323, 1991 626, and 2001 Miata.

I've had 2 - a '91 Protégé and a 2010 CX-7. The Protégé got totaled after just a couple of years, but it was a fun car. The CX-7 got traded in just 18 months ago for the current Outback that's in the garage.