Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

1189919001901190219031905»

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 10,082

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

Boarding a plane to ATL for a couple days. Left my Legacy at work and took uber to the airport.

Getting a rental?
    No rental. Hopped on the MARTA train at the airport. It dropped me off 1/2 block away from my hotel.

How long are you in ATL for?

I will be downtown later this week for a conference. 

My flight leaves at 1:45 pm tomorrow. I'm staying at the Westin Peachtree Plaza on the 63rd Floor.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 48,055
    '88 323 GTX Loved it.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 9,033
    I loved my 2007 MS3; I had it for nearly eight years and 159,000 miles. I held off buying a replacement in hopes Mazda would build the rumored 300 hp AWD third generation MS3. They didn't and so I returned to Munich for my DD.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport / 2014 M235i / 1999 Wrangler / 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2004 X3 2.5i Son's: 2009 328i

• sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 1,062
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

I had 3. Loved them all. 1986 323, 1991 626, and 2001 Miata.

I've had 2 - a '91 Protégé and a 2010 CX-7. The Protégé got totaled after just a couple of years, but it was a fun car. The CX-7 got traded in just 18 months ago for the current Outback that's in the garage.
    Though sold as Mercury, it was essentially a reskinned Mazda..'93 Tracer LTS. It had the Mazda DOHC engine, the same engine that was in the Protégé ES. It was a fun car and quite quick. I had that car for about 18 months only to trade it on a black
    '95 VW Jetta GLX VR6.

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 1,301
    nyccarguy said:
    nyccarguy said:
    Boarding a plane to ATL for a couple days. Left my Legacy at work and took uber to the airport.
    Getting a rental?
    No rental. Hopped on the MARTA train at the airport. It dropped me off 1/2 block away from my hotel.

How long are you in ATL for?

I will be downtown later this week for a conference. 
    My flight leaves at 1:45 pm tomorrow. I'm staying at the Westin Peachtree Plaza on the 63rd Floor.
    Ah okay.  I'm going to miss you. I took a late flight yesterday and then had to go over to the conference first thing this morning. Safe travels!
    2016 Volkswagen GTI S, 2015 Ford Escape Titanium AWD, 2013 Audi A3 TDI Premium Plus Titanium
  • breldbreld Posts: 2,422
    qbrozen said:

andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

I am waiting in the airport now to head to Toronto for 2 days for business. i believe I am walking everywhere.

on the way here, I saw a gorgeous blue Q3 and fell in love. I then fell out of love when I looked up the specs. 0-60 in 7.8? No thanks.

Hmmm... test drive the Q3 before you give up on it. I bet real world it beats the 7.8 easily as Audi is known to under-rate/over-time the cars in their stable.

That 7.8 is from a car mag

Yeah - Q3 left my wife very underwhelmed when she tested it out, thinking it could be a nice replacement for her GTI. That's the day she ended up buying the S3.

2016 SQ5 - 2012 Mini Cooper - 2016 Jetta - 2015 Sedona

• breldbreld Posts: 2,422
    Michaell said:

sda said:

Has anyone driven the new Mazda CX 9? It really looks sharp and has received good reviews including CR. It may replace our Pilot in the next year or so.

I know @breld was very interested in them, but not sure he's had the chance to drive one yet.
    I did indeed get a chance to drive the new CX-9 and really enjoyed it. If I were to go with a 3-row SUV, I'm thinking Q7 or XC90, but I would also consider the Mazda, even in that company. The 4 cylinder turbo had a nice feel to it and was very responsive - much like the other turbos many of us are driving from VW, Audi and BMW.

The interior is very sharp, particularly in the Signature trim, but the Grand Touring was nice as well. The cockpit feel reminded me of our previous CX-9, which was a big draw for me then as well. If anything, the center console was a bit high to me, possibly rubbing against my right knee (would need extended driving time to determine that for sure).

For around $40k loaded, it's a nice offering - I may choose a CPO Q7 over it, but I'd pick the Mazda over the Pilot and Highlander for sure.

2016 SQ5 - 2012 Mini Cooper - 2016 Jetta - 2015 Sedona

• andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 7,129
    stickguy said:

for 2017, looks like they ditched the 1.8t. All cars get the 2.0t now.

Seems like Audi is headed in the right direction, ditching the 1.8, and ditching slush-box automatics in favor of dual-clutch automatic transmissions for all.

CR just did a review on the '17 A4 which gets a dual clutch auto and commented that it was so smooth and fantastic that no one would notice it wasn't a conventional automatic. Written in that typical CR way.

They really liked the new A4, and I can't blame them.
    2016 Audi TTS 2.0T quattro AWD. 2016 Kia Optima LX 1.6T FWD. Wife 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE DSG FWD.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 20,854
    edited September 28
    I can't tell, if they moved to DSG on the 2017 A3. Thought the current one was a normal AT.

Ok, looked it up. Current model does move to DSG. Probably explains the highway MPG rating dropping from 33 to 31.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2015 Jetta Sport (daughter's)

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

I've had 2 - a '91 Protégé and a 2010 CX-7. The Protégé got totaled after just a couple of years, but it was a fun car. The CX-7 got traded in just 18 months ago for the current Outback that's in the garage.
    The Protege 5? hatchback would have been a superior choice to the '95 Neon in 1994. The Honda Civic would have also probably made my current net worth about $10K higher by now. When I see those rare Protege hatches they always still look good on the road.
    2016 Audi TTS 2.0T quattro AWD. 2016 Kia Optima LX 1.6T FWD. Wife 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE DSG FWD.
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

What is your review of the current Outback? I might have my wife pivoting from the turd of a Cross-tek to the Outback. Is the 3.6 a must in that car?
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 36,174
    andres3 said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

The Protege 5? hatchback would have been a superior choice to the '95 Neon in 1994. The Honda Civic would have also probably made my current net worth about $10K higher by now. When I see those rare Protege hatches they always still look good on the road.
    No, just the sedan that looked like a 7/8 scale E-class. Fun car, though. I had a chance to buy one a year after the (first) wife did. Hers was an auto and dark blue - the one I had my eye on was a stick and light blue.

Silly me, I didn't want two of the same car in the garage. Ended up buying a '91 Sentra SE.

2016 VW Jetta 1.4T SE / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 4,315
    Up here in the salt belt most Mazdas from 2006 or earlier were just ferocious rusters and the company developed a bad reputation even when they took responsibility (and they did not always do that). Also had a bad rep for many "chassis electrical" problems after about 3 years, shabby-looking interiors that did not hold up, plus the ongoing problem of NVH and a harsh ride which some owners grew tired of after some period of time. The overall problem seems that some buyers looking for a good daily driver that they could live with long-term did not value the fun-to-drive quotient quite as much as the Mazda fans did, and were disappointed in the experience.

2014 Cadillac ATS4 2.0T, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

stickguy said:

I can't tell, if they moved to DSG on the 2017 A3. Thought the current one was a normal AT.

Ok, looked it up. Current model does move to DSG. Probably explains the highway MPG rating dropping from 33 to 31.

Hmmm, DSG shouldn't lower the highway MPG, at least not more than 1 MPG at most, unless the old auto had the advantage of more than 6 gears? Maybe they are dialing back some over optimism on the EPA figures. They have a tendency to make the gearing short; great for mountain roads.

The 7-speed DSG in the new TTRS is the one they should use across the board, but I think they want A-model prices to be much lower than S or RS model prices.
    andres3 said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

What is your review of the current Outback? I might have my wife pivoting from the turd of a Cross-tek to the Outback. Is the 3.6 a must in that car?
    If you ask my wife, it is. The 2.5 is gutless with that much weight. But, we're at almost 6000', so you lose a certain amount of HP at altitude.

(which is why both my daughter and I drive cars with turbo 4's - her MINI Countryman S ALL4 and my Jetta 1.4T SE)

Otherwise, it's been a great car. Luxurious, quick, roomy, versatile. The only black mark has been a couple of small recalls that I've had to take to the dealer. We've loaded it to the gills with stuff - furniture, garden supplies, etc. - and it's handled it all. Get the package that includes the rubber mats on the back of the rear seats.

Wife was specific about her color choices - Wilderness Green with the Beige leather interior. She loves it. Not quite 16,000 miles in 19 months. It's a keeper.

Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I loved my 2007 MS3; I had it for nearly eight years and 159,000 miles. I held off buying a replacement in hopes Mazda would build the rumored 300 hp AWD third generation MS3. They didn't and so I returned to Munich for my DD.

That's a lot of miles in a short amount of time! How was the gas mileage on that thing?
    The a3 was a 6 speed last year, and new ones too. Could be tuning differences? Quite likely, will beat the EPA number easily on highway. I hope.

I tried to get my wife into an outback but she fell in love with the RDX. But would have been the 4. Might have been a mistake! A new 6 could be interesting.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2015 Jetta Sport (daughter's)

stickguy said:

The a3 was a 6 speed last year, and new ones too. Could be tuning differences? Quite likely, will beat the EPA number easily on highway. I hope.

I tried to get my wife into an outback but she fell in love with the RDX. But would have been the 4. Might have been a mistake! A new 6 could be interesting.

There is a new 3.6 Touring trim level for the Outback, this year. Custom interior and exterior paint colors and a couple other small additions, I'm told.

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,574
    edited September 28
    I had a Protege 5, 03 in red with the 5 speed. That was a really fun car that felt light on its feet. Other Mazda was a 06 Miata PRHT. Dark metallic blue over that caramel leather they did for a few years. Never had any issues with either.

15.5 XC70 T6 / 16 Soul EV

• sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 1,062
    I posted some pictures of my '93 Trace LTS (Mercury clone of the Protégé) here: http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/3090/general/x/i-spotted-an-insert-obscure-car-name-here-classic-car-today#latest

It was a really good engine/transmission combination. It was a really decent car which I enjoyed thoroughly.

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX

sda said:

I posted some pictures of my '93 Trace LTS (Mercury clone of the Protégé) here: http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/3090/general/x/i-spotted-an-insert-obscure-car-name-here-classic-car-today#latest

It was a really good engine/transmission combination. It was a really decent car which I enjoyed thoroughly.

Mercury; isn't that one of the planets in our solar system, or is it a heavy metal element?
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 2,027
    We had Mazdas in the snow areas and they were great! No rust problems. I had an '88 323, a '90 626 hatch, and an '04 6 wagon. All great cars. If I stay with a gas engine I'm getting a Mazda again soon. 
    '14 Buick Encore
    looks like my BIL might have made a move to new wheels. Need to confirm details, but I think he swapped his BMW 550 for a new Jag XF-S AWD (top of the line). Will report info when I get it.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 10,082
    @andres3

"Is the 3.6 a must in that car?"

Yes.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 9,033
    andres3 said:

That's a lot of miles in a short amount of time! How was the gas mileage on that thing?
    The fuel economy consistently averaged over 26 mpg. Not bad for a 2.3 liter turbo making over 287 hp at the crank.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport / 2014 M235i / 1999 Wrangler / 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2004 X3 2.5i Son's: 2009 328i