Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• breldbreld Posts: 2,548

breld said:

It is a lot of money for an example with high miles and cosmetic damage. You'd really have to want one to pay this kind of money. I can't find a price guide that puts it over $3500 or so.

The ad itself speaks of some "normal" dings and dents, but are you seeing something more from the pics?

There's another example on eBay that only has 86k miles, but you'd never guess it from the pictures (rips in the drivers seat, noticeable dings and dents, etc.). I'd gladly take twice the miles if it was properly taken care of.
    No I didn't, but my point was that for this kind of money the vehicle should be rather pristine. It's possible I'm not in the loop on this trend, but I'm not aware of any serious pressure in the market driving the price of this particular car upwards. I think the buyers for these cars are only willing to go so far--once it hits a certain ceiling, that's it.
    Aah - gotcha. Not that I'm too serious about actually buying it, but was curious if your sharper eye was seeing something.

It'll be interesting to see if it goes at the buy it now price. Lots of folks are watching it but apparently no one is pulling the trigger, so you're probably right on that "ceiling."

2016 SQ5 - 2012 Mini Cooper - 2016 Jetta - 2015 Sedona

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Dodge City, KSPosts: 6,559
    I remember a buddy at Everett-Boeing in the late 80's told me his mid to late 80's Honda CRX was the funnest car he's ever driven. And he was one of those guys who LOVED car racing...James Dean kinda Boeing guy. Sadly, my buddy fell asleep in his pickup one night and was killed in a crash. He was only in his 20's!

I knew something was up when an older Boeing guy came up ta me with a real sullen look on his face to tell me what happened. I believe that young man had narcolepsy. Really deeply saddened me for a long, long time.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 4,599

It is a lot of money for an example with high miles and cosmetic damage. You'd really have to want one to pay this kind of money. I can't find a price guide that puts it over $3500 or so.

I missed seeing the cosmetic damage. This is clearly beyond the stage of mildly desirable 25 year old used car and into the category of well-preserved original emerging/future collectible. Too bad about the installation of the radio and sub. I find it curious that the current owner only used it for 6 months or so after doing several "upgrades" and now has it "out of her system". To me that is a bit of a red flag, as the auditors like to say.

2014 Cadillac ATS4 2.0T, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 9,198
    stickguy said:

Not many unmolested ones around so can't be too picky. I always liked these. One of the car mags (I think automobile) did a collectible classics piece on these this month.

It was Automobile.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport / 2014 M235i / 1999 Wrangler / 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2016 i3 REX/2004 X3 2.5i Son's: 2009 328i

• breldbreld Posts: 2,548
    Okay, for those much more in the know than myself on something like this, what's the skinny?

633csi

2016 SQ5 - 2012 Mini Cooper - 2016 Jetta - 2015 Sedona

breld said:

Okay, for those much more in the know than myself on something like this, what's the skinny?

633csi

A great modern classic. The main issues are rust and trim pieces that may no longer be available. The drivetrain in bulletproof.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport / 2014 M235i / 1999 Wrangler / 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2016 i3 REX/2004 X3 2.5i Son's: 2009 328i

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 1,552
    @roadburner weren't you acquiring a lease? Did I miss your post about it?
    2016 Volkswagen GTI S, 2015 Ford Escape Titanium AWD, 2013 Audi A3 TDI Premium Plus Titanium
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 50,203
    Can't believe I forgot to post: Acquired a new Honda, about two weeks, ago.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 7,348
    corvette said:

stickguy said:

point of story, when he was getting it, he saw some sort of newer jeep, and asked about it because it looked like a mess. Guy said it had frame damage, and they were already up to $22K on the tab, and climbing. Yeah, good luck ever selling that mess (and another reason to lease certain cars!)

Agreed. With damage that severe, I'd rather have the car written off. A lot of auto insurance carriers tend to dig their heels in and refuse to do the right thing. If you looked at the damage to the GLI I had, my insurance company and I would have both been better off had they simply totaled the car at the outset. Instead, I had to resell a car that was "damaged goods," and my own insurance company only recouped $3,000 and change from the at-fault driver's property damage liability coverage, after the at-fault driver's company paid my diminished value claim.

I had to fight both carriers to get reimbursed for the DV. FWIW, both insurance carriers were truly awful to deal with. I'd gladly pay a higher premium for better customer service.
    I said the exact same thing about paying a higher premium for better customer service. Then I called one of the very few auto insurance companies with highly rated customer service, and realized I wasn't willing to pay nearly double for honest insurance. I'll stay cheap, and be cheap, and keep the dishonest insurance. At least I know what I'm paying for ahead of time.
    2016 Audi TTS 2.0T quattro AWD. 2016 Kia Optima LX 1.6T FWD. Wife 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE DSG FWD.

Another quick GTI update:
    The GTI is back with me this morning while VW figures out what they want to do. They put about 300 miles worth of test drives on the car and confirmed the car is getting substandard fuel economy. Interestingly, the MFI is reading relatively normal fuel economy, but calculating it by hand (properly) reveals a different story.

At the end of the 300 miles of driving, the regional quality manager determined that the MFI display is the reliable source and not the manual calculation. He further determined that fuel economy can vary across 50-100 mile test drives for a number of reasons and that if something were wrong, the fuel trim would be off.

Basically, the quality manager is taking the stance that their computer is more accurate than calculating fuel economy by hand, and that the test drives are not representative for calculating performance of fuel economy. Really? Then why did you instruct them to drive that much? And, isn't it always the technicians and dealers that say you can never rely on the MFI?

I have a call into the corporate rep. From my conversation with the dealer, it sounds like neither they nor corporate are satisfied that this situation is resolved.

Man, I feel for you. If I was the CEO of VW, I'd have that Regional Quality Manager served with two checks and a notice that his services are no longer needed at VW, today!

I'd then offer to give you a '17 in exchange for the '16.
    2016 Audi TTS 2.0T quattro AWD. 2016 Kia Optima LX 1.6T FWD. Wife 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE DSG FWD.
  • henrynhenryn Houston, TXPosts: 1,293
    kyfdx said:

Strange time of the year to be buying a lawnmower. Aren't you about due for a snow blower instead?

Of course, I'm still mowing here in Houston, Texas. Not as often as a month ago, but still mowing.
    2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2013 Passat TDI SE
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 10,270

Another quick GTI update:
    The GTI is back with me this morning while VW figures out what they want to do. They put about 300 miles worth of test drives on the car and confirmed the car is getting substandard fuel economy. Interestingly, the MFI is reading relatively normal fuel economy, but calculating it by hand (properly) reveals a different story.

At the end of the 300 miles of driving, the regional quality manager determined that the MFI display is the reliable source and not the manual calculation. He further determined that fuel economy can vary across 50-100 mile test drives for a number of reasons and that if something were wrong, the fuel trim would be off.

Basically, the quality manager is taking the stance that their computer is more accurate than calculating fuel economy by hand, and that the test drives are not representative for calculating performance of fuel economy. Really? Then why did you instruct them to drive that much? And, isn't it always the technicians and dealers that say you can never rely on the MFI?

I have a call into the corporate rep. From my conversation with the dealer, it sounds like neither they nor corporate are satisfied that this situation is resolved.

Ugh! That's ridiculous!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• tommister2tommister2 Mechanicsville, VAPosts: 271
    @28firefighter That is terrible. How could he even make that argument? At the end of the day it doesn't matter what the car says. What matters is how many miles you can go on a gallon of gas. So frustrating...
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2012 Honda Pilot, 2013 Toyota Tundra, 2014 Jeep Wrangler
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 1,552
    It is absolutely asinine. I'll give the corporate rep some time to explain before I go completely crazy.
    2016 Volkswagen GTI S, 2015 Ford Escape Titanium AWD, 2013 Audi A3 TDI Premium Plus Titanium
    @kyfdx I have a similar mower, just a few years older. It is the nicest mower I have ever owned. Everything about it is excellent. I was actually sad this summer when my teenage daughter started mowing the lawn...I really missed my time with my little Honda. :)
    andres3 said:
    Not that I found, but in my area Home Depot sells some of the Honda mowers. I got mine at a discount because it was a leftover model from the previous year.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 21,539
    Love that 633. Seems like a good deal

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's) and 2015 Jetta Sport (daughter's)

• henrynhenryn Houston, TXPosts: 1,293

andres3 said:
    Not that I found, but in my area Home Depot sells some of the Honda mowers. I got mine at a discount because it was a leftover model from the previous year.
    Around here, you can find good recent model Honda lawnmowers for about 50% of list price on Craigslist.
    2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2013 Passat TDI SE

@roadburner weren't you acquiring a lease? Did I miss your post about it?

Yes- tonight all will be revealed...

• rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,841
    RE: The Saga of the Problem GTI.
    My 2013 GTI had no mechanical issues in
    the 25,000-ish miles I drove it.
    I really sympathize with your pain & trouble -
    sorry to hear - and Good Luck with eventual resolution...
    - Ray
    Sometimes just lucky
    2015 Charger R/T - yup, it's got a Hemi...
  • sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 1,226
    kyfdx said:

I have a Toro with the blade clutch and really like it. It is getting old and has needed repair recently. CR rates Honda mowers as top notch so I think that's what I'll get next time. Give us a user report when you can. :)

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 53,766
    breld said:

633csi

Nice looking car, but not the best choice for the 6ers of that era, IMO. The 633 is prone to front suspension issues and is a pain to get wobble-free. Power isn't great either in U.S. spec. Didn't notice if the car is still running metric radials, but those are very $$$ replacements. Most folks swap out for new wheels and "standard" radial sizes.

A better choice would be the last years of the 635CSi, 1988-89. More power, nicer styling, higher compression.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 10,028
    edited October 27
    @kyfdx, That's a pretty fancy mower!

Did it come with a backup camera on it? If not, I think you should trade it in next year for the new model. I hear they're adding Apple's MowerPlay for 2017. And..... it even includes a VOLUME KNOB!!!!! :D
    2013 Volkwagen Passat TDI, 2008 and 2010 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
    andres3 said:

kyfdx said:

This one..

Are mower prices negotiable?

Yes... but, not a lot. About $30 off that price at my local retailer.
    henryn said:

kyfdx said:

Strange time of the year to be buying a lawnmower. Aren't you about due for a snow blower instead?

Of course, I'm still mowing here in Houston, Texas. Not as often as a month ago, but still mowing.
    End of year sale,

@kyfdx I have a similar mower, just a few years older. It is the nicest mower I have ever owned. Everything about it is excellent. I was actually sad this summer when my teenage daughter started mowing the lawn...I really missed my time with my little Honda. :)

Traded in my previous Honda... which I purchased in 1991. So, I'm pretty sold on them.

sda said:

kyfdx said:

I have a Toro with the blade clutch and really like it. It is getting old and has needed repair recently. CR rates Honda mowers as top notch so I think that's what I'll get next time. Give us a user report when you can. :)
    Yeah.. the blade clutch (Honda calls it Roto-Stop) is a must, for me. Makes it much more convenient. Of course, you have to go $600+ in price to get that feature. My old mower didn't mulch, either, so the new one is nice, in that regard.

Funny thing. I paid over $800 for my last Honda in 1991. At that time, discharge chutes, bags, etc were all extras. All that is included, now. Paid $650 after $50 trade-in for my old mower, + tax.
    $692 OTD.. lol

I highly recommend Honda mowers. I've used this one twice. The controls are pretty much identical to the 1991 model, other than it now has a hydraulic transmission with 13 different speeds, and an automatic choke.

xwesx said:

@kyfdx, That's a pretty fancy mower!

Did it come with a backup camera on it? If not, I think you should trade it in next year for the new model. I hear they're adding Apple's MowerPlay for 2017. And..... it even includes a VOLUME KNOB!!!!! :D

Overhead Cam, too!! ;)

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 51,914
    We thought about buying a different house here last month. But it had grass in the yard. Talk about a deal killer.

Moderator - Buying questions? Please include city or zip code and trim you are shopping, FWD or AWD, etc.