Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    I am seriously impressed with some of these lists. I buy a car about once a year and get so much flack from my family and friends that I don't try to purchase more frequently. I alternate between buying new and buying WAY used, like $1000-2000 cars. The old ones are fun as project cars and to see what they are capable of, while new car fever is just what it is. I have had three new ones in the last four years, so I should probably slow that down a bit! LOL

anonymous: I am impressed by the number of integras on your list! :-)

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• anonymouspostsanonymousposts Posts: 4,202
    Yeah, severe, that's what that is ... I'm not that bad to where I would actually want someone to total my car to give me an excuse to buy a new one : Although I do have gap ... and as long as my son wasn't in the car ......

nippon: Integras are awesome. Especially the 90-93's. Only thing I regret is not owning a 91-93 GS-R.
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Posts: 1,828
    since 1982:

1980 Chevrolet Chevette (1982)
    1983 Plymouth Reliant K (1984)
    1980 Chevrolet Malibu (1986)
    1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera (1992)
    1990 Mercury Topaz (1994)
    1994 Mercury Topaz V6 (1998)
    1990 Chevrolet Corsica (1999)
    1996 Oldmobile Ciera S (2000)
    2002 Ford Taurus SE (2004)- for sale

I thougt that the list would be shorter. Bought the Corsica to keep a friend out of bankruptcy - a mistake that i will never make again. People who can't afford a car, can't afford to take care of the one they have. Sold it six months later.

Would not have bought the Ford but the leasing company made me an offer I could not refuse. And we thought that my wife would be layed off and lose her company car.

The running total of the nine cars that I have ought is $45,400, which isn't too bad.
    I don't even wanna think about adding up our total cost.
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Posts: 1,986
    Funny. I don't buy all that often, but I'm in constant shopping mode!
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    again, you and me are way too alike. I'm always mulling over, thinking about, and online shopping/configuring cars.....then I come to my senses and don't buy any thing. Then Company XYZ unvails the new Wizbang 5-door RWD hatch with 400 lb/ft of torque and a nice 5 speed manual and I go through the whole thing again.

Also (back to the "dissimilar car shopping" thread), I'm always mulling over in my mind "You know, a small nimble 2-seat roadster would be fun....but what if I want to pick up a TV or some odd sized object? OK what about a 5-door hatch that's fun and practical....well I've got that now, time for a change. How about something with 500HP....well what about poor gas mileage and insurance as well as not being too practical?" On and on and round and round it goes!

Yes I'm not well and have cars on the brain wayyyy to much.
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Posts: 1,986
    Actually, I recently gave up on buying. I like newness and get bored/distracted too easily to hang on to anything long.

My situation is conducive to leasing from an expense/deduction angle. That fits with my personality quite well, I've determined! The longest I ever kept a car, other than my first, is six years. The current one is a 39-mo lease, up in 20 mos. I've been shopping for the replacement now for, oh, about four months! And I love this car!

Yup, got 'em on the brain just like you!
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    to be fair though, you work in car sales, so you are somewhat predisposed to CCB syndrome. Afterall, you're in the biz! Is like if I were a pimp, I would likely more frequently engage in....well, never mind that!
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,585
    You described me to a "T". I seem to be on a buying binge lately, but once my wife and I both have new wheels, I may be done for years.

Of course, it won't prevent me from stopping at a different dealer on the way home from picking up the new one, or reading all the magazines (and of course hanging out here).

Never know when something might happen and yo need a replacement quick!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,590
    here's my list, over the years...

1980 Malibu: Mom gave it to me (1987-1990)
    1969 Dart GT: saw it at a Nissan/Saab/Oldsmobile dealer of all places, fell in love with it, and bought it. (1989-1992)
    1957 DeSoto Firedome: I'd been lusting after a mid-late 50's DeSoto ever since I first saw a picture of one, so when I found this one I just had to have it.(1990-today)
    1968 Dart 270: bought to replace my '69 GT, which got totaled when I got run off the road and hit a traffic light pole. (1992-today)
    1969 Pontiac Bonneville: bought it from my cousin for $400. I should have known better! (1992-1996)
    1982 Cutlass Supreme coupe: bought it for $800 when the Dart started nickeling and diming me to death. Only had 61K miles on it, and was inspected. I figured it would be more reliable and get better gas mileage. It wasn't. And mileage wasn't that much better, not enough to offset the fun factor of the much more powerful Dart! (1993-1994)
    1967 Pontiac Catalina Convertible: saw it and had to have it. (1994-today)
    1988 Chrysler LeBaron turbo coupe: bought it from my uncle when I got married. Along with the '82 Cutlass, I'd say this was the biggest POS we had. I got divorced, but got the last laugh because...I LET HER HAVE IT!!! (1995-1996)
    1979 Chrysler Newport: For some reason I've always liked these things. I found this one in the junkyard...just came in, started right up, and hadn't been picked on yet. Bought it for $250. Odometer said 30K miles, which I figured was about 130K miles, given the condition of the interior. Well, when I got the paperwork, the previous owner had bought it about 10 years before, with 105,000 miles. So in all probability, it was more like 230,000! A nice little side benefit of this car, in a twisted sort of way, was that my family HAD been nagging at me to buy a newer car than that 300,000+ mile Dart I was driving! I don't think this was what they had in mind though. (1996-1998)
    1986 Monte Carlo: Mom gave it to me, with 179,000 miles on it. 3 months and 13,000 miles later, I got T-boned while delivering pizzas. Wasn't TOO major of a hit, but it bent the A-pillar and cracked the windshield, and buckled the floor pan just a bit. Did most of my driving with this car, because it got much better mileage and acceleated better than the Newport (1998-1998)
    1989 Plymouth Gran Fury: this one was a former police interceptor from Richmond VA. It was also a sherriff's car, so in addition to the high-performance equipment, it was better equipped than most police cars, with carpeting, cloth seats, a nice stereo, power locks/windows/mirrors. I bought it because I wanted something newer than that Newport. Unfortunately though, it wasn't any more reliable. (1998-today)
    1985 Buick LeSabre Limited Collector's Edition: Don't laugh, that was its name! Grandmom gave it to me when she couldn't pass the eye test for her license anymore. (1999-2002)
    1967 Chrysler Newport: a 108K mile beater a buddy gave to me when his grandmother died, and they just wanted it gone so that they could clean up her house and sell it. I only had it about 6 or 7 months. Decided to get rid of it when I bought my Intrepid, and that decision was reinforced when the brakes went out. (1999-1999)
    2000 Intrepid: bought it brand new. Originally I was just taking my uncle to the dealer to pick up his truck from servicing/repair, but then he wanted to go look at the new cars. I had intended that day to ride up to another dealership that had a '95 Riviera for sale that I was interested in. But we never made it... (1999-today)
    1979 Chrysler New Yorker 5th Avenue: I'd been going through R-body withdrawal ever since I got rid of my '79 Newport, so when I saw this thing on Ebay, I was able to satisfy that strange fetish... (2001-today)
    1985 Chevy Silverado: Granddad bought it new. A few years after he died, Grandmom gave it to my mother. She bought a new F-word 150 and then gave me the truck (2002-today).

I think that's all of them. I used to live in a condo, but now in the boonies, so lemme go cut the grass and see if I find anymore! ;-)

Oh yeah, I'm also babysitting a 1952 Mercedes Benz 4-door for a friend of mine. I want to say it's a 220? I forget now. Nothing too special though...just a rusty parts car.
    the highest number of cars anyone has owned at one time?

For me, it is five, and I am single. One was new, the other four were well used. I almost had a different car to drive for every day of the week! That was when my CCB syndrome had reached its zenith. Most of the time since the mid-80s I have not had more than three at once.

• driftracerdriftracer Posts: 2,692
    Getting ready to be 4 again real soon, and maybe 5, depending on how fast the PT sells while I have the F-350 on order.
    at the time I had 5, I had this faint justification in the back of my head that I had the extra cars in case the new one broke down. Weak justification at best, you might think. The new one at the time was the Saturn SL2, and yup, sure enuf, it broke down twice! :-P

I also had a turbo '87 Supra, an '86 Celica GT-S, a rear-ended '82 Supra that I picked up for $500 and ran great, and an '84 Subaru GL hardtop. They were all gone within 18 months, including the Saturn! Should have kept that Celica longer. It ran perfectly and only had like 60K on the clock even though it was 9 years old.

with 7. 6 of them are tagged and insured. 3 of them are on an antique policy that's really cheap, like $170 a year for 3 cars (Dart, DeSoto, Catalina). The Intrepid, pickup, and 5th Ave are on a regular policy that's something like $1440 a year for all three (only the Trep has full coverage). So that's one reason that I'm a bit lax about not getting rid of cars...it's not like it's costing me an arm and a leg to insure them. I think my roommate pays more insurance on his '98 Tracker than I do on BOTH of my policies!

I need to get rid of my Gran Fury. Just been too lazy to mess with it, I guess! And I really need to cut my Dart loose, as it's got 338,000 miles on it now, and not currently running. I think it just needs a fuel pump to run again, but it has other issues as well (rust, some body damage, water leaks here and there, a shorted out heater fan, etc). But on the plus side, the Dart costs a whopping $24 a year to insure...which is one reason I've probably been lazy in motivating myself to get rid of it!
  • stormdavystormdavy Posts: 83
    but haven't the resources to buy. Getting tired of the rusty looks of my Celeb, and recently made an offer for an (affordable, w/ 116K mi) '89 Vette, and that was the closest I've been yet to being a Vette owner, but unless a miracle happens I won't get financing.
    Now, the '01 Impala is falling into my lap. Most weekends I'm checking out car lots... and tall grass can yield some beauts, too: one nearby farm has a blue Cougar convertible that could be in an Andrew Wyeth painting.
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,898
    In order of acquisition...

'70 Ford Galaxie coupe.. no air.

'77 Ford Mustang Cobra II.. no air.

'76 Jeep CJ-5.. no air.

'82 Honda Accord hatchback.. no air.

'67 BMW 2000CS.. no air.

'84 Porsche 911 Targa.. air, finally!!

'90 Nissan 240SX hatch

'94 Acura Vigor GS

'88 Mazda 323GTX.. intercooled turbo, AWD

'95 Nissan Pathfinder SE

'97 Honda Accord EX

'98 Honda CRV EX

'99 Honda Accord EX

'01 Honda Accord EX

'02 Honda CRV EX

'92 Acura Legend

'03 BMW 325i Sport

It seems like it should be more, but thats it.. bought my first car in 1976. But, I am also the designated "car guy" for family and friends, so I've been involved in the purchase of many, many more.

regards,
    kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• black_tulipblack_tulip Posts: 438
    Andre: Didn't you have an Altima at some time?

Anyway, my list (started at '87)

'81 Chevy Chevette
    '83 (could be wrong) Dodge Diplomat
    '81 Buick Skylark
    '81 Toyota Tercel
    '89 Honda Civic DX
    '93 Acura Integra
    '95 Nissan Maxima GXE
    '95 Acura Integra
    '97 Acura TL
    '97 Honda Civic DX
    '99 Toyota Camry (current with 180K miles)
    '00 Audi A4 1.8TQ
    '00 Lexus RX-300 (current with 71K miles)
    WE have had 5 at one and are at 4 now but about to be back at 5 but we are planning to sell 1 or 2 then buy another.

Currently we have ...

2004 Honda Odyssey EX RES/1500 miles
    2004 Honda Accord EX-L/18,000 miles
    2003 Honda Civic Si/15,500 miles
    1994 Lexus LS400/125,000 miles (plan to sell)

coming is a ...

1997 Infiniti I30/120,000 miles.
    I've never owned an Altima, but I was really impressed with the current generation when it first came out. I test drove an '02. It was just a 4-cyl, but I think it was an S-model? Pretty gutsy for a 4-cyl I thought. I probably would have bought it, if I wasn't so upside-down on my Intrepid at the time!

My Mom & stepdad have a '99 Altima. I think it's an ugly excuse for a car, and wasn't too thrilled with it when it was newer. The tranny failed at 35,000 miles. But Nissan replaced it under warranty with no attitude. I think they have about 110,000 or so miles on it now. It did leave them stranded one other time about a year or so ago, when the battery died. I guess newer cars aren't like those old Mopars I'm used to where you could actually yank the battery out while it's running, and not have a problem. Until you turn the car off, that is! Still, I have more respect for that Altima now that it's got some miles on it, and still kicking.
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,898
    That is my complaint with Nissans.. They usually run forever, but you aren't all that happy about it... I agree... that first Altima was a poor excuse for an Accord competitor.

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs