Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• anonymouspostsanonymousposts Posts: 4,202
    He actually uses a 03 Si as a daily driver so I'm pretty sure he fits better in a Civic than he does in a cloth Accord. I can't recall seeing him sit in a 01+ Civic sedan though.

The Civic not being built in Japan isn't a big deal because no Civics are built in Japan. Sine you can get a Japanese built Accord, he wants a Japanese built Accord.

We actually looked at a Mazda6 before we bought our 03 Accord coupe. We loved the way it drove but the deal was better on the Accord. I mentioned a 6i hatch but he said if he was going to spend Accord money he was going to buy an Accord because it has XM and a better engine/manual trnsmission.

There are entirely too many choices out there, new and used. My wants are a little unrealistic though. I want a fun-to-drive, reliable, safe car with side curtains, and I would LOVE to pay $15,000 or less.
    Keep me updated on how you like your tC. My husband has thought about one as a replacement for his Si.
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Posts: 1,828
    If you live in the CITY of Chicago, you are better off NOT driving unless you have a roll of Benjis to pay for the parking. Seriously, parking is a PITA in most areas, you aren't allowed to park in some neighborhoods without the proper stickers and the walks from the parking spots are generally as long as the walks from the EL/Bus/Metro station.

My biggest nightmare is when the wife says ..."Let's drive."
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,876
    Sometimes the coupes are a lot easier to get out of than the four doors, especially if you drive with the seat back. I can barely crawl out of my wife's BMW 4-door with the sport seats.. between the side bolsters and the door jamb, I've had to start swinging my legs out first (you know, like a female). I think if we had the coupe, it would be a lot easier.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Back in 1969 I worked at a local grocery store with another guy who had graduated and was going to trade school ( I was a junior in high school). He owned a 1964 Comet S22(?) with a 289 and 4 speed but dreamed of owning a new Dart. I was working to save for a Camaro.

After research (and his claim that a 383 was not as fast as a 340) he ordered a 1969 Dodge Dart GTS, gold with a black interior - no GTS stripe. It had a 340, 4 speed and a 3.55:1 gear. I remember the snakey Hurst shifter. I wound up with a RS/SS 396, 350 HP, M21 4 speed Camaro. Cortez silver with a black interior.

During this time I 285 in Atlanta (hard to believe today!) was unfinished and there were stretches that young men used to "test" the performance of their vehicles.

I have to admit that, head to head, his 340 Dart beat my Camaro over a roughly 1/4 mile distance. That car was quick and (he was right) it would outrun the 383s. I loved the sound of that engine - it had that "hollow" sound, like it had headers.

I never owned a Dodge, but owned a couple of Plymouths: 1971 225 Duster (Torqueflite, red with bucket seats) and a 1965 Fury III, (a bronze/pink color with a 383 4speed). My dad bought a 1966 Fury III (the car I learned to drive in) and a 1969 Fury new.

Also, I have always been partial to the looks of (and wanted to own) the 1966/67 Plymouth Satellite or a 1969 GTX or Roadrunner.
  • tornado25tornado25 Posts: 279
    is 5 1/2 years. It was a 98 Plymouth Neon I got the same month I started my first job out of college. I liked the car--a lot, actually. Had everything except power windows and sunroof (loaded for a Neon) and I added a decent Pioneer stereo and XM Radio.

But, it was 5 1/2 years old and I wanted something "different and new". My prayers were answered, when the head gasket went out on it. Yay! Traded it in broken (with dealer's full knowledge, thank you) for 01 Pont Sunfire. Has slider, ABS, stuff other car didn't. But, I'm still looking. Trying to find something I can flip to a dealer straight up. Have my eye on very high mileage 00 Chrysler 300M, but dealer doesn't want to straight trade. He's had it at least a month now (since I've been looking at it) so eventually....
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    It's hard to do a straight up flip with dealers. You generally have to take a considerably inferior valued car to do so, or the margin isn't there for the dealer.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,260
    I've been posting random thoughts on the tC link in future vehicles. So far, I like it a lot. Fits the same niche (theoretically) as the Si, but is really quite a different car IMO. From what you have posted, I think you will like it.

In some ways, it is very Lexus-like (in a good way). You could easily take it, put in power leather seats, and sell it as a new entry-level Lexus.

I realized that there are really nice new cars out. The progress in the last 10 (even 5) years has been tremendous. I can't wait to upgrade my Wifes '99 Quest to something new, with the appropriate luxury quotient for when we travel.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    ....in answer to your questions in #88, yeah, definitely join me for a beer if you're ever in town. But be warned, I work at a gay bar that stays open til 4 a.m., so it gets more than a bit scary at times.

I do occasionally take cabs to work, it's usually $8 or $9 including a generous tip each way. I work five shifts a week, so it would work out to something like $350 a month if I exclusively took cabs both ways every night. Fortunately, I usually have a ride or a car, and one co-worker with whom I share two of those shifts lives four blocks away, so I can sometimes get rides or share a cab with him (his situation is similar to mine; he doesn't own a car but can sometimes use his roommate's).

The walk is actually pretty safe, basically straight north on busy Ashland Avenue, but it would take the better part of an hour, and I'm either running late or just too lazy 99% of the time. I don't own a bike right now, too many have been stolen, even with my U-locks.

So it comes back to just not needing a car. Even IF I had to cab both ways every day, it'd still be about the same cost (or less) than owning a car here. I do feel lucky that street parking is not at all a problem where I live, nor where I work. The keys are staying away from the lake, away from Wrigley field and away from downtown.
  • was 2 years. I'm 23 and on my 6th car.

87 Mazda RX-7 GXL
    99 Nissan Sentra LE
    00 Nissan Sentra SE
    02 Nissan Frontier S/C Crew Cab 4x4
    97 BMW Z3 1.9
    04 Acura TSX navi 5AT

I need help.
    I just turned 25 and did the calculations. If I keep up my current level of car buying I will have hit 100 cars by the time I turn 45. I just can't see that happening though.
    Recognizing your illness is the first step, pocketkiller. Then maybe you won't be carrying a string of cars in your history like me when you're my age.....
  • steine13steine13 Posts: 2,411
    "I need help"
    Boy, have you come to the wrong place for that.

"I jujst turned 25"
    Wow. When I was your age, I was still on my first car; a '78 Passat (Dasher in the US) with 55 hp and a 4sp stick. Wow. Can I manage your money? If I keep you away from cars, invest conservatively, and keep HALF of what you make...
    ...we both will come out ahead.

Twenty-Five? And you're on your 30-odd'th car?
    I can't believe it...

Dumbstruck, I remain
    -Mathias
    In all fairness I should say that I have worked for a car dealer for the last 5 years. Not that I wasn't an addict before then but my employer has definitely been an enabler.

I wish someone would manage my money and put an alarm on my SSN and checkbook. Every time that I try to use either one of them to buy a car an alarm will go off and I'll get shocked.
    It seems, despite my best intentions, I must buy a car a year no matter what. If I get towards 12 months with no car purchases, I start jonesing.
  • badtoybadtoy Posts: 368
    you may have withdrawal symtoms if you desist, as you've noted, but this is one of the few addictions that can actually improve your life by stirring your soul, getting the groceries and taking you to work while costing you little, nothing, or even turning a profit (legally)....!!
    I want to buy a car so bad right now I can't friggin' stand it. I was better while on maternity leave but now that I am back to work I am trying to return to my old ways. Luckily, my husband is taking a stand and staying strong on the "keep the Accord front".
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,887
    that my '00 Intrepid is starting to get that look in the headlights where the coating on the inside starts to peel off, and it just gets a nasty, slightly yellow, clouded look.

Naturally one of my friends said "Time to get a new car!!" What prompted me to look at my headlight was that a few months ago, one of my friends needed to replace the left headlight assembly on his '95 Grand Marquis. That was about $225. Then we couldn't figure out how to get it on, so he had to pay a shop to do it. That was about another $65-70. So figure damn near $300 just for the headlight assembly!

Well, last week he traded the thing on an '04 Crown Vic. Got a whopping $600 in trade, as his GM had about 179,000 miles on it, the check engine light was on, engine was knocking a bit, etc. But in retrospect, if he had never fixed that headlight, he probably would've gotten the same $600 for it! :-/

I started thinking about how tempting it would be to trade, but I have to keep telling myself...5 more months and it's paid for!
  • wtd44wtd44 Posts: 1,211
    Since the first of the year I have not purchased a new car or truck. I traded my 98 Nissan Pathfinder in on a new Kawasaki Drifter. It didn't have that blinding performance thing, so I traded it in on a Honda VTX1800. But I have not bought a new car! I'm really doing great, huh? >;o]
    As long as you are buying things with wheels and motors you are still diseased.
  • eharri3eharri3 Posts: 645
    For awhile after I traded my 95 Ranger 4x2 regular cab stickshift on my new 04 Dakota Quad, I was feeling a little guilt. As in, old truck may have only had two seats, rollup windows, no air, but she still had a few good miles left in her and I being was disloyal to a vehicle that had been good to me to trade her in so soon. After I've read through this thread, the guilt is lessened considerably and I cannot help but think 5 years without my creature comforts was long enough.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,621
    Anoy,

Trust me on this one, and you can tell gee I said it.

There is ZERO difference in quality between U.S. built and Japan built Hondas. I have looked at thousands of these, literally, and have yet to tell even the slightest of differences in quality or assembly.

I'll get this once in awhile...not often though.

It's a placebo effect, I think. :)
    Over the number of cars I've owned and if I were to list them all here (the ones I remember)nobody would believe me anyway.

I've never had a hobby per se but I have owned more cars than I can count.

Often, something would strike my fancy, I would buy it, keep it awhile, get bored with it and sell it, usually at a loss, sometimes not.

So...name a car...any make, challenge me to remember and I'll try to remember the ones I owned.
  • steine13steine13 Posts: 2,411
    Sorry, but that won't do at all. We want the whole list, and we want it before next Sunday. Here at CCBA, we don't soft-pedal the issues.
    How can we "help" you if we don't have the entire story.

BTW, ever own a Peugeot?

-Mathias
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Posts: 1,828
    Isell probably has some skeletons that he is hiding ... (vbg)
    Since you asked...

Peugeot...

1979 Diesel Wagon - It was on a corner with a sign.
    1980 Diesel Wagon - Kept it probably six months
    1983 Diesel 505 - Neighbor's friend talked me out of it.
    1984 Diesel 604 The copper color those always seem to be.

Say what you will about Peugeots...they are wierd, strange and hard to find someone to work on but they are rugged and VERY comfortable cars.

Next?
    Cool! A girl addict! Somewhat unusual, in my experience, so it's good to have you along with the rest of us out of control folks. What is it you want?
    AND, they are a dying breed around here.....
    Dead and buried. I would never buy another. Mechanics hate working on them and parts impossible to find now.

Still, the diesels were rugged workhorses. the electricals were worse than a Volkswagen.
    I've heard that. Interesting point - Two brothers in Las Vegas had the only independent Volvo repair shop here for 40 years. They also worked on Peugeots. They had a tremendous following, but got old and retired 4 years ago, and sold the shop which became a Llanteria.

Guess what they both drive now -

The older brother has an Odyssey.
    The younger brother, a Sequoia.

That tells me a lot.