Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• steine13steine13 Posts: 2,422
    About the two brothers.... you know what they say about the cobbler's son. They'll want someone else to work on their cars now...
    Peugeots are very popular in Europe; the little 204/205/whatever they call it now sold and continues to sell in big numbers in Germany. Ditto the Megane. That's a tough market for imports. The Diesels are excellent, and they've got a little hardtop convertible a la Mercedes SLK. The main problem with them in America is parts availability.... I don't plan to ever own a rare car anywhere...
    -Mathias
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    AMEN to that. I've heard though, that Peugeot is the national car of Chile, or at least, used to be. I'm very mainstream myself for that same reason. In fact, my Infiniti is almost too rare for me. Body parts are somewhat difficult to come by, I've found. You can get 'em, but it takes a while. They're not available everywhere.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,881
    I sold one of the wagons to a couple who decided to stop for dinner afterwards. It got dark while they were in there and they guy called me after ten minutes of trying to figure out how to turn on the headlights!

As I recall, it was about a four step process.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    People who enter this room keep the economy rolling... I too am a chronic car buyer... I have had at least 12 cars in the last 18 years.. Just bought a Mazda Tribute ES for the wife as a matter of fact.. My 01 Escape is looking to change into an Explorer sometime in oh... lets say.. the next year or two at most..... Need the third seat... I love cars/trucks. If I had it my way I would change every 6months!.. I am late to my therapist....
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    You're my kinda guy, pal..... I sometimes think I personally resurrected this economy all by myself!
  • jaserbjaserb Posts: 858
    '74 260Z. $350. Brown with rusted wheel wells. Could never get it to pass inspection due to an exhaust leak - I was 16 and couldn't afford a new exhaust manifold. Dude who bought it put a Ferrari body kit on it!
    '82 Chev Camaro. Black. Bought it with a blown 2.8 V6, Dad and I swapped in...another 2.8 V6. Dog slow, but it was a Camaro and I was in high school. Sold it after the 3rd TH200 tranny went out and the rebuild shop said they wouldn't warranty it any more.
    '74 260Z. Blue. Kept for almost 8 years, loved that car. You name it, I replaced it at least once. Necessitated:
    '73 240Z, '74 260Z (Parts cars). I actually sold the 240 to my cousin, who got it back on the road.
    '84 Firebird. Red. Bought it while I rebuilt the engine on the Z. That car hated me, but it looked cool. Still gutless with the 2.8 but at least it had a 700R4 tranny.
    '99 Neon Sport. Super duper blue. First new car. Peppy with the DOHC motor and the 5 speed. Only major problem while I had it was the sunroof. Note to self: never buy an economy car with a sunroof. My brother wanted it so I sold it to him, on the condition he buy an extended warranty (he did, and boy has it gotten used!)
    '97 S10 pickup reg cab, white, long bed, 2WD, Auto, V6. Great little truck. Drove it from 90k to 100k miles and sold it for more than I bought it for. Moved us into our house in 2 loads - 4 years later it'd take 200 to move us out.
    '01 Hyundai Santa Fe LX FWD. Maroon. Been a good little family hauler. Wife likes it a lot and at nearly 50k miles it's still going strong.
    '98 S10 5 spd EX cab, 4wd. White, mostly. Bought at an auction, regretted it immediately. Had been absolutely pounded and put back together w/junkyard parts. Learned the value of CarFax. Took a bath.
    '87 Alfa Spider Quad. Silver, beautiful. Owned for a little over a year, learned to double clutch and swear in Italian. Spent more time under it than inside it. I want another one!
    '93 Sentra SE-R. White. Bought last year with super low miles when the Alfa started demanding too much of my limited time. A blast to drive and rock solid for the 20k+ miles I've put on it so far. Maybe too reliable?

Lets see, that's 4 ratty Z-cars, 2 early 80s V6 FireMaros, 2 S10s, a Neon, a Hyundai, an Alfa, and an SE-R. 12 in 12 years. Sounds like I need to sell the SE-R for a beater truck and another Alfa or maybe an MGB. I've always wanted a TR6... How much does a nice 240/260Z go for these days? Or is it time to trade in the Santa Fe on an MPV, or maybe a quad cab pickup. The Honda SUT would fit the bill for the wife. Then again, I'm just finishing my MBA - a WRX wagon would be a nice present to myself. An RX8 would be nicer!

Of course, there's the minor problem of She Who Must Be Obeyed, and who doesn't like cars nearly as much as I do...

-Jason
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Posts: 4,202
    isell: I don't necessarily think there is a difference between US and Japanese built Accords either but might as well go with the Japanese built just in case. We had a 99 Accord EX 5-speed that was Japanese built and never had a rattle or squeak to speak of. The same can be said for our US built Accords as well. What can I say though .. he makes more money than I do.

As for your challenge to name a car .. how about these ..

Sterling
    Toyota Corolla FX16 GTS
    Alfa Romeo Milano .... Gee tried to buy one of these when he found a 2 for 1 deal (one to drive and one for parts) but he didn't fit

nvbanker: I want some of everything. I can't believe a manufacturer has yet to make an AWD mini-van that has a manual transmission, looks like a sporty coupe, handles like a S2000, and is as reliable as an Accord DX. With XM radio I might add.

That's one HUGE thing in the Accord's favor right now. XM. No other sedan offers XM and all of the Accord's other virtues.

I wish there was a "One To Be Obeyed" in our marriage that didn't like cars.
  • gregoryc1gregoryc1 Posts: 766
    1951 Buick, 1955 Ford, 1956 Olds, 1958 DeSoto, 1962 Chevrolet Impala, 1964 Chevrolet Impala, 1968 Ford, 1965 AMC, 1969 Pontiac, 1973 AMC, 1977 Ford, 1985 Mercury GM, 1990 Olds, 1992 Buick, 1993 Buick, 1995 Jeep GC, 1997 Chevrolet, 1997 Honda Accord, 2000 Honda Civic, 2000 Honda Accord, 2003 Honda Accord, and 2004 Honda Civic.--(some vehicles were new and some were used). The vehicle that was the most "fun" to drive was the 1955 Ford V8 Stick Shift, with twin exhaust and "glass packed mellow tone mufflers". The next vehicle of choice was the 1956 Olds two door hard top, (also with glass packed mufflers). It had power and ride. Not many vehicles on the road could touch the 1956 Olds. I witnessed many "drag races" between a 1955 Ford and a 1956 Olds. The Ford would have the Olds "off the line", but if the race was long enough, the Olds would pass the Ford like it was going backwards! Yes, bring back the "good old days" with the "Hot" cars and the "drive - ins"! A 1956 Olds in mint condition could give some police cruisers some competition today in the speed / acceleration department. A driver could cruise with this vehicle at 90 MPH, and feel like he / she was doing 60 MPH. They were heavy and powerful and they had a 4 speed Hydra-matic Transmission. The Automatic Trans selector read: Low, Super, Drive1, Drive2, Neutral, Reverse, and Park. The "passing gear" on this vehicle would pin the driver to their seat!
  • driftracerdriftracer Posts: 2,692
    "Toyota Corolla FX16 GTS"

That was the car I owned the longest - I got a white '87 on a 60 month TMCC lease. It was autocrossed and helped me be one of the fastest pizza delivery guys in Abilene, TX (Dyess AFB)...
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,881
    Nope, never owned any of those. A 1995 Corolla would be the closest thing.

Looked at a Sterling once until I realized the only good thing about it was the Honda engine and transmission.

The only British cars I've owned were a 1960 MGA when I was in college and a 1974 MGB probably five years ago.

Fun cars but typically British with all of the headaches that go with them.

Anything else?
  • wtd44wtd44 Posts: 1,211
    The last 20 or so posts have been therapeutic for me. One strong lacking in it all (eat your heart out, isellhondas!) is Renault, so let me point out that two of my most favorite cars to have in my personal history were my mid 1950's Dauphine and my purchased-new 1969 R-10. By the way, a dauphine is the wife of an oldest son of a king of France. A worthless factoid for one and all, eh?
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,472
    '67 Camaro (high school, first car). Sounds good, but for $300 you get 6 cyl and a powerglide. But it did have the custom lightening kit (aka most of the rear fenders and trunk floor had rusted away). This was the first and last AT car I owned (not counting my wifes minivans).
    '73 Duster 6 cyl
    '70 Nova 305 V8(my only V8 car), never registered (had a starter problem, but came with a spare hood).
    '74 Gremlin X (actaully really liked this car).
    '75 Opal Manta FI (money pit, spent more time on a tow truck than every other car combined).
    '75 Corolla E5 (my fist five speed)
    Now, I graduated college finally, so first brand new car!
    '85 Dodge Colt GTS (not the turbo, but the tires, suspension, etc.) Best hadnling car I ever owned, next to a Miata. Had Yoko A008 tires that stuck like glue, and worthless in snow).
    This part gets a little fuzzy, but I think I can remember everything (not that I want to).

Mathias alert: some stuff in here you might not buy.

'86 Mazda 323 LX (family car). Colt replaced with a series of bombers:

'8X Subaru GL? (3 door) w/a bad exhaust
    '75 Celica, 175K, terrible rust (but I sold it for a profit!)
    '85 Civic S (fun, but ran hot).

Finally decided to act like a person with a real job (plus, with was getting real annoyed).

'90 Nissan king cab pickup. Lasted one year (unexpected baby showed up, wouldn't ride in jump seats)
    '91 Mazda 626 LX 5 door (one of my favorites)
    '95 Mercury Mystique V6
    '99 Maxima SE
    '01 Miata (purchased 11/03, still have but for sale)
    '05 Scion tC (4 days old already!)

ALong the way, wife replaced '86 323 with a '92 Subaru legacy, followed by a '96 Voyager and a '99 Quest that we still have, but Wifee wants to replace by year end.

Best thing, every car on the list but the Camaro and the 2 minivans was (is) a stick!

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• autonutautonut Posts: 1
    It all started when I was about 16 years old. My father and I started to search for a vehicle that would be my very first car. This was 1986. We were looking through the classified ads in the newspaper and found an ad for a 1966 Mercury Comet Capri. We went to look at it and I fell in love. It was a typical northern car with the rust and really bad bondo repair. I was still in love and it would be my project (or so I thought). My dad payed $400 and I payed $400 for grand total of $800 for the Comet. The Comet was Jamaican Yellow with Black interior. The interior was in great shape and it ran well with the 200 6 cyl. and automatic transmission. I did some work on the car in the summer and spring and it was stored away in a neighbors garage in the winter. My dad suprised me by having a friend of his take the car and re-do the body work and paint it was my 1987 Christmas gift. I couldn't wait for spring to finish it off and drive it. I was very happy with the Comet. Well I drove the Comet until 1988 or 89 when she met her demise with a jump of the RR tracks the unibody broke, I couldn't find a safe fix and I needed wheels. I traded her in for a 1986 Ford F150 Flareside with a 6 cyl and a 3 spd on the column. I had it painted metalic blue. Now I will start the list. 1979 Ford Thunderbird. 1986 Dodge Omni GLH. 1991 Dodge Colt (My first New Car). 1969 Corvette. 1988 Mustang GT. 1995 Ford F150 S/C Flareside P/U. 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Z-24 Convertable (Lemon Lawed). I don't remember the year of the next one it was a Chrysler Maserati TC (Piece of crap). 1998 Honda Civic EX. 1997 Ford Expedition. 2000 Ford Focus ZX3. 2001 Ford Ranger S/C Edge. 2002 Ford Ranger Reg. Cab. Edge. We also have a 2003 Honda Accord Cpe. I am now trying to hold back my urges for a new car. HELP!!!!!!
  • badtoybadtoy Posts: 368
    I LOVE seeing all of the car lists, but PLEASE -- if you're going to put them all in the form of a single-paragraph running commentary, at least italicize or use bold-face for the names of the cars -- it's really hard to read a lot of these posts, you just get lost in all the verbiage...

jaserb: the TR6 was designed by Michelotti (an Italian designer) and is easily one of the prettiest cars of the period -- it still looks substantial and fresh today. It also had the best exhuast note this side of a Ferrari. However, they were typically British in their fragility, and you need to be really careful to check one out completely before commiting your rent checks to one. Good luck!
  • x021627x021627 Posts: 148
    nice to know that I'm not alone in my illness:
    1983 Nissan Sentra
    1991 Mazda 626
    1993 Nissan Maxima
    1995 Honda Accord Sedan
    1997 Nissan Maxima
    1999 Honda Accord Coupe
    2001 Acura TL
    2003 Acura TL-Had 36K mi. on 2001 and bought 2002 in March. There were no 2002's to be had.
    2003 BMW 530i

Yes I had the sentra for the longest, but made up for the lost time. Yes, I'm a girl.
  • jaserbjaserb Posts: 858
    Luckily, I live within biking distance of work. Of course, that was the excuse I used to get the Alfa too, but then I started an evening MBA program that was 100+ miles round trip. Now that that's almost over I'm getting that itch again. I almost bought a Spitfire before I bought the 2nd Z, even though I didn't really fit in it. If I did buy a TR6 it'd have to be red, with the Union Jack on the rear quarter panel (as a lot of them do, it seems.) I'd also try to make it a garage / fair weather queen, hence the cheap 4x4 beater pickup to go alongside.

-Jason
    driftracer: That was one of my husband's favorite cars EVER. He LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED that car. And did I mention he LOVED that car? The first one was a black 87 (bought in 96 or 97) that the previous owner clipped the stock springs on. It was a screamer. He sold it at 160,000 to a pizza delivery guy who is still driving it. Last time he saw it the car had 260,000 miles and was going strong. Then he found a silver 88. He drove that car for several months until he found a 92 Acura Integra in need of a good home. I think he still regrets selling both of them but he has been unable to find one in the right color that was in decent shape since. One thing though is that both of them had head gasket leaks. Not sure if that was an inherent problem with the FX16 or not.

isell: We wanted a Sterling for a minute. Until we realized that they were hardly a shining example of Honda quality. Amazing how much difference there was (quality-wise) between a Legend and a Sterling.

x02167: You are far from alone.

It's interesting to see the different range of cars some of you have owned. I feel like all of my cars have been basically the same even though there have been lots of different cars. But the few times I have strayed from Honda/Acura I lived to regret it. The only exception being when I bought a Toyota/Lexus. My heart really wants a BMW but my wallet is like nuh-uh. I think a nice compromise would be the 2004 TL .. I'm just waiting for them to trickle the SH-AWD down from the upcoming RL.
    blew the headgasket on mine at around 40k - it had LOTS of help, though - I was NOT nice to that car.
  • Here's my list, since I first started driving:

1966 Ford Falcon (traded a 10 speed bike and a Radio Control car for it)
    1970 Camaro (307)
    1970 Plymouth Duster (318 3 speed)
    1978 Chevy Chevette (first new)
    1976 AMC Hornet Wagon (3speed on the column)
    1973 Ford LTD ((winter car)
    1968 Dodge Dart (winter car)
    1978 Toyota Celica GT Black Package Special
    1980 Mazda GLC
    1984 Mazda 626 LX Touring Sedan (digital dash version)
    1984 Toyota Corolla SR-5 Hatchback
    1985 Toyota Celica GT
    1986 Toyota Celica GTS (loved those seats)
    1990 Acura Integra
    1985 Dodge RAM P/U (inherited from my dad when he passed away)
    1994 Geo Prism (a Corolla under the skin)
    1996 Dodge Stratus
    1996 Dodge Caravan
    1998 Dodge Caravan Sport
    1969 RS/SS Camaro Z10
    2000 Dodge Stratus R/T
    2000 Dodge Grand Caravan
    2002 Subaru Outback LTD Wagon
    2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport

Bless me board members, I have sinned- It's been over a year since my last car purchase...
    ;-)

Now, there's nothing wrong with my Subaru- it's pretty loaded up, and I have had no problems with it...but I want a convertible. Badly.
    I don't need one, but I'm researching the BMW 325 and the Toyota Solara...

I just find myself bored with my vehicle after a couple of years...plus, I've gotten to the point where I don't like driving cars that are out of warranty...
    I guess I have it bad, but not as bad as some of you all...!
    but here is my latest epiphany ...

I can get my hands on a clean 91 Accord EX 5-speed for $2000 with 138k .... If I sell my 04 Accord I can put that payment aside and use it for other things. The only thing that concerns me is having my 3-month old in a 13 yr old car in the event of an accident but since we have the 04 Ody he would very rarely hace to ride in the Accord.

Not sure what to do. Is this a dumb idea?
    I could buy that '91 Accord, since I REALLY (kind of) need a second car, and you wouldn't have to worry about buying it.
    Now the problem is completely solved. :)
    Saves you trouble, adds one to my list!
  • ron_mron_m Posts: 188
    1977 Pontiac TransAm (New) *First car at age 16
    1985 Toyota MR2 (New)
    1986 Nissan 300ZX (Used)
    1989 Ford Mustang (New)
    1989 Nissan 240SX (New)
    1989 Honda Civic LX 4-door sedan (Used) *Still own
    1990 Nissan 300ZX (Used) *Still own
    1999 Chevrolet Blazer LS - 2 door (New)
    2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ (New)
    2002 Lexus IS300 (New) *Still own

I sure am glad to know that I'm not the only one
    out there with a car trading addiction! :-)

Ron M.
    drift: Nevermind on that Accord. My husband took a look at it and it's actually an automatic. That's the one problem I have with my Accord right now. I want a stick again. Guess I will just have to use his Si to fill my manual tranny desires for now.

ron_m: We had a IS300 as a loaner while our GS was in the shop. That car drove like a dream but guzzled gas like a truck it seemed. Does the gas mileage on that car improve as it breaks in? I'm asking because I wouldn't mind having a Sportcross with a manual tranny.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 30,594
    I don't have one... but, I hear the gas mileage on the IS300 is pretty bad.. You could ask riez on the IS300 forum.. He has had three of them.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    good luck trying to get an IS Sportcross with a stick. They don't make 'em. Sore point with me.
    We have a 80 mile round-trip commute for work and it seemed that if we left with a full tank by the time we got home the gas hand would alreade down below 1/4 of a tank. Otherwise, it was an awesome ride. Sharp handling, interior was well put together, etc. It wasn't the quietest car I've ever been in but I wouldn't expect it to be.
    No manual Sportcross? That sucks.
    Thanks - you saved me from buying another car! I guess I'll have to look elsewhere.

Selling my PT in a couple of months, ordering my new Ford truck...