Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,529
    Maybe someone in here is helping someone who fits the request?

A reporter would like to speak with a recent buyer or current car shopper who stayed on the sidelines or was turned down for a car loan during the recession and has since returned to market or is about to buy. If you fit this description and would like to speak to a reporter, please send your daytime contact information to pr@edmunds.com no later than noon PT/3 p.m. ET, Wednesday, November 7, 2012.

(Congrats jpp5862!)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,324
    whatever makes you happy. :)

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• breldbreld Posts: 1,306
    I dropped off my A5 yesterday at the dealership to have the window trim replaced (they had agreed to do that when I bought it, and just now got the parts in) and the service advisor asked if I'd like them to go ahead and perform the routine maintenance, even though it'd be a bit early. I declined, figuring I'd just wait until it was needed, but then asked how much I should expect it to be. He replied that there would be no cost since my car had the "Audi Care" prepaid maintenance plan. :surprise:

I guess the original owner had purchased the plan and it stays with the car. Usually the surprises at the service department go the other way. :)

2011 BMW 535xi - 2015 GTI - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,293
    You need to check what they would have charged you for the work if it wasn't pre-paid. Inquiring minds are interested.
    Yeah - I'll ask when I pick it up today.

By the way, they gave me a fancy new A6 as a loaner car and I am really impressed. I can see why it's been winning comparison tests. It has a great balance between sport and comfort - something that BMW seems to have lost a bit with their new 5'er.

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Who says no free lunch? :shades:
    edited November 2012
    Seems a little slow around here, so I thought I'd go ahead and share my "almost" CCBA punch.

So I turned 40 this past Sunday, and my wife suggested that instead of having some party, we go on a road trip, just the two of us. So we took the A5 down to Dallas, where we have a friend we hadn't visited in awhile. On Friday, when he was working, my wife and I thought, "Hey, we should check out the Dallas BMW dealerships." :)

Well, the thought was that they would have primarily RWD 3-series (which they did), which in turn would raise the likelihood of finding a manual transmission (which they sort of did, barely).

Anyhow, a Fort Worth dealership had a new 328i, minimially equipped but with the "right" equipment - manual trannie, sport package, moonroof and heated seats. We didn't have much time to spend at the dealership, since we had to meet our friend for dinner (I suppose that's why we drove all the way down there :P ), but I ended up negotiating over the phone with the BMW dealer that evening. I say negotiating, but they came out right away that they would sell the 328i at invoice less any incentives. So, invoice (about $40,900) less $750 BMW loyalty, less $1,000 USAA incentive and another $1,000 for BMW incentives. About $38k for a new 328i? I was game, but not surprisingly their trade offer on the A5 was a bit low (their offer on the BMW stood whether I traded or not).

We discussed going by the dealership in person Saturday morning before heading back to Denver, just to see if they'd come up on the trade if we were there in person, but I decided I wasn't confident enough about the whole thing to go through the hassle. So we headed up north through beautiful Oklahoma and Kansas, en route back to Denver. :)

My wife, bless her heart, loves driving and was happy to take shifts on the way down to Dallas. Well, she doesn't really like driving behind semis, so as we were passing one, quite speedily, a police car coming the other way tags us and drives over the median to pull us over.

93 in a 70 mph zone. The cop was awfully polite about it (probably due a bit to how quickly my wife pulled over, and way over to the side of the road as consideration for the cop) - he even said he'd get everything written up quickly so we could be on our way, to which my wife wittingly replied "well, not too quickly right, 'cause the speed limit is 70."

$250 fine! Looking at the ticket, at least there was one more price bracket above ours. My wife had said she thought she was safe 'cause we were just coming up on the outskirts of a small town :confuse: . I suppose she thought they'd be more "in" the town.

It didn't take long after that before she said she wasn't having fun anymore and that I could drive.

edited November 2012
    Ouch. I was going 75 in a 70 yesterday on the Interstate when a cop I didn't see at all in the rearview passed me. I eased off on the cruise a couple of mph for a while. On the other side of Flint toward Port Huron, lots of people were going 80.

Y'all should shop for a minivan. Something about a bigger target makes cops give you a pass.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• akanglakangl Posts: 3,596
    edited November 2012
    93 in a 70 mph zone
    $250 fine!

Have you beat by a long shot! July 10, 2010.....87 in a 65 $196 + expired tags $150, July 30, 2010.......70 in a 45 $310 fine! Needless to say that was an expensive month, all of those with the '07 Pilot.

Only one ticket since then, December 12, 2011.....68 in a 45 $286 fine. That was with the '11 F-150. For me it seems like bigger vehicles get me into trouble, lots of trouble. Or maybe it's my lead foot and ball bearing ankle......I have slowed down, my driver's license can't take any more points if I want to keep it.

I did get pulled over one time in a small Texas town, alaska plates, alaska dl, coming back from the ER with my daughter the day after we got there. I didn't realize the speed limit dropped from 65 to 55 to 45 to 30 so quickly and I was doing 65 in a 30 at 2 am. Never saw the speed limit sign or the cop. He pulled me over and I explained, he wrote me a warning and told me to slow down coming into town.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,574
    Just "built my own" X1 Xdrive 35i with leatherette & heated seats. MSRP of under $40K for 300 hp/300 lb ft torque! Yummy!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    edited November 2012
    I'm going to jinx myself. The last time I got a speeding ticket was in 1985 while driving my sister's Ford conversion van in Mississippi. I'm not even sure of the speed overage as it was so long ago. :sick:

I had one parking ticket in 1997 after my meter ran out on a rainy Los Angeles afternoon.... boy, those meter maids must do a stake-out looking for the very second the meter turns red. :cry:

My saving grace is driving with the cruise control on 99% of the time, especially in the city. It's like second nature to me. :blush:

Mark156
    edited November 2012
    If you are in the process of car shopping, using online forums and tools and plan to visit a dealer soon, a reporter would like to hear from you. Please email PR@edmunds.com by Tuesday, November 13, 2012 and provide a few lines about your experience so far.

(I love posting these "are you car shopping?" requests in this discussion. :D )

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    My saving grace is driving with the cruise control on 99% of the time, especially in the city. It's like second nature to me.

My last ticket was a year or so ago while delivering pizzas. Failed to make a complete stop at a stop sign. $120 fine plus a $40 contribution to the "victims assistance fund" for the city - $160 total.

Last speeding ticket was a year or two before that. I think it was something like 74 in a 65, but since I was polite to the officer he knocked it down to 69. IIRC, the cost of the ticket was under $100.

Now that I'm driving more in town, I find myself following the speed limit (and other traffic laws) more closely ... a ticket will wipe out a week's worth of tips.

So, like Mark, I use the cruise control even when I'm in town.
    Mine would come to $43,995.
    Alpine White M sportline with coral red leather and premium package.

For some reason, I can't figure out how to get heated seats on there. When I try to add them, it downgrades me from M Sportline to Sportline. Strange.

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Minivans are indeed nearly invisible to cops.

Drove to Florida once with my little brother, when I napped he started flying. We got to Jekyll Island about an hour earlier than I had projected.

I didn't ask....
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,526
    I have not had a ticket for anything but speeding in well over 20 years.

I drove a red Corvette [ every traffic cop seemed to pay very close attention to that car ] for over 30,000 miles without a ticket. And I will admit that I did exceed the posted limit – on occasion.

My last ticket was before I moved here from NC. Officer caught me on radar – I was just not paying attention. 50 in a 40, as I recall. I pulled over, turned off the car, lowered the window and rested both hands on top of the steering wheel.

Cop: ‘License and registration.’

Me: gave him my license and registration.

Cop goes back to his vehicle. Writes ticket. Walks back up to my window, hands me the ticket and my license and registration. Walks back to his vehicle and pulls away.

A literal ‘one liner’.

I paid the fine and moved out of state shortly thereafter.

- Ray

Business transaction – with no negotiation . . .
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,903
    I was stopped about 5 years ago on the outskirts of a small town. The road was 2 lane, curvy and heavily wooded. I came around a curve and a cop was shooting with his radar and flagged me over.

He asked me if I knew how fast I was going. I said yessir, about 45 mph. He got a shocked look on his face and asked me if I knew the speed limit. I said yessir, 35 mph.

He then proceeded to give me a warning and told me to slow down a little. He said most people would deny, deny, deny, and argue with him. He said he usually let the honest ones off with a warning and saved his tickets for those who argued.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

I've been doing a lot of "building my own" X1 as well, except I've been focusing more on the 28i model. Sportline with the "Ultimate" package and HK comes to $44,295.

When I was down in Dallas last week, one of the dealers had an Alpine White with literally nothing else other than the M Sport (xDrive 28i model). I think it was something like $37k - really nice car if you didn't need all the "premium" stuff.

My wife thinks it's a bit quirky, but I like it for the way it drives like an E90 and adds some functionality with the hatch.

Q - I know that 35i model retains the older 6-speed auto. Is that the same trannie that's in your 135i? 'Cause you like it quite a bit, right?

Q - I know that 35i model retains the older 6-speed auto. Is that the same trannie that's in your 135i? 'Cause you like it quite a bit, right?

Does it? Huh. I wonder why when the 3-series is using the 8-speed. In any case, yes, its been good so far.

I imagine it has to do with the 35i only being available in the US. So perhaps with the "limited" run, they reached into the parts bin for the 6-speed.

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,663
    edited November 2012
    While I was putting in applications to be a shuttle driver at a bunch of dealerships today, got to sit in a bunch of different cars and was quite impressed. The new Jetta's were so nice with great seats...everything was where it should be and especially liked the SE model. The Kia Optima was also a real looker with comfy seats and good switch gear...and much nicer looking than it's Sonata cousin. I liked the interior of the Elantra better than it's exterior...a much nicer place than my current Civic. I'd buy one right now were I in the market...I felt it was that comfortable!

The Camry was so much better than what I have heard in here...the seats were comfortable with a nice multi colored cloth with good visibility. A nicer looking car than the last generation. The used '03 and '11 C Class's were both nice though the comfort award went with the newer model but size wise, the '03 won my heart. It only had a bit over 59k and looked to be in pristine condition but I'm spoiled with the low cost maintenance and insurance on my Civic that even though my heart wanted to do the trade right there & then, my fiscal part of the brain just said no...so I walked. But it sure was nice!

Will hit a bunch more dealerships the beginning of the week and remain hopeful. I'm much younger than the older men who they have employed now and hope that will work in my favor. Am hoping the powers that be can look past my cane and realize that driving a car or minivan will not be a problem for me. As I am only looking for part time here and really have no problem working any day or any shift they would let me, maybe that could work in my favor. It also would be a fun thing to do while making some extra $ and getting in my quarters so I can eventually get social security also. Hopefully G-d will make this happen for me as I'm still young enough and have the desire. And yes, the wife wants me to finally do something that gets me out of the house besides the food shopping even though I have basically taken over all the household stuff.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    edited November 2012
    Sandman, you know, I think that is something that would be a lot of fun to do. I just used the shuttle for my Honda CR-V at the local Honda dealer.... the CR-V needed a new blower motor (rare, I know). Anyway, the two shuttle drivers were two older guys, I can say older when they are older than me! (I'm 54), as they were both retired from long careers. One was a retired fireman and the other retired from radio station advertising sales.

I have to say though, please don't be offended, but having a cane might not put you on top of the list. Some passengers may need a little help getting in and out and the hiring person may see that as a hindrance. But, I guess that would depend on how much you use the cane and how. Can you walk up a staircase to knock on a door to tell them the shuttle is here?

Having been through using a wheel chair, walker and cane, I know the feeling. Three years ago the flu shot attacked my spinal cord paralyzing me for two weeks from the neck down. Slowly but surely I recovered, I'm at 99% with a few small issues that I can live with. I'm just glad to be alive.

Good luck though!
    Mark156
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,663
    Just turned 58 this week, so I consider myself pretty young. And I can definitely walk up stairs and help others...I just can't sprint anywhere and use the cane because of the pain and weakness in my left leg and lower spine. I would hope any employer would give someone like me a chance to prove what I can do. And this is something that I'd just love to do...something in the auto industry. My kids think I'd be a natural to since I enjoy talking to other folks. I sometimes embarrass them as I'll talk to anyone really.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,455
    what about trade drivers? Do they still have those? Old guys that shuffle dealer trades from place to place?

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

Hey, watch it - 58 isn't old.

(I've got two years on Sandman. :P )

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,470
    "...what about trade drivers..."

That's what I thought Sandy was talking about when I first read his post. That's what I'd like to do if I ever get to Florida. Driving the courtesy shuttle would be OK but driving all those new cars by yourself would be a ball. Like an extended test drive with no salesman pressuring you to buy.

My last two new cars were dealer traded, one from 200 miles away. I can't think of a better way to tour Florida.

Sandy, any idea what they pay?

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,693
    I may hold the record and this isn't something I'm proud of.

Nine tickets in one year when I was about 18. One of these was for racing a cop in Palos verdes one night when he came up from behind blinding me with his high beams on. he tried to pass me on the right and the race was on!

Then he whipped in back of me and turned on his red lights. Wrote me for 90 in a 45. Took it to court and the cop didn't show up so I got off scot free.

Did the same thing with all of the other tickets to the point the judges knew me. Half the time I got off because the cops didn't show up.

Lots of tickets but never any kind of an accident.

Insurance company never found out and neither did my parents.

Finally they hauled me in and put my license on probation for a year.

Now? 30 years without a ticket. Guess I finally grew up! (?)
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    A good friend of mine managed to get pulled over three times in one day (twice by the same trooper). He was a district manager for a retail outlet around the holidays and was shuffling merchandise between two stores. Pulled over on the way to and from. This was after being pulled over earlier in the day for a "california stop". He actually only got a ticket on the last stop. I still bust his stones for that.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,693
    Sandman,

You might want to talk to the New Car Sales Manager about doing dealer trades. Our store had a couple of retired guys doing that. The only trouble is it's an on call type of thing. You might not do a trade for two weeks and then do three in one day.