Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,274
    "...dad's 65 Ford Galaxie 500..."

My father also had one of those he bought used around 69.Had a 351 and was pretty fast. Of course I beat it pretty good whenever I had the chance and eventually the weak Ford auto tranny of the time started to act up. Fortunately, my older brother totaled it on ice before it really got bad.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Tough call about the mileage. It would be all about condition. It would also be a bigger hit for something claiming low mileage rather than car that is well north of 100k.

My mother had that exact same car (color and all Pacific Green IIRC) I always liked it, but its such a better car with the 4.6 V8.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,287
    at that price range, it is all about condition and the inspection. If it runs well and checks out, it is a good deal almost regardless of miles.

think of it this way. That looks like a good deal for a clean car with 120K on it, so it would only be a better deal at a real 50K.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,568
    My first car was a 66 Galaxie 2 door HT with a 390. Never seen a car that could drink gas like that one. It could smoke the tires pretty nicely too, as well as hauling 6-8 high schoolers without too much complaining.
    Miles could be original - that thing is really clean compared to most of them. I don't know if driving from Venice to Tampa is something the seller needed to brag about. Have fun with the 3.8 that no doubt lurks under the hood. Cheap though, and a nice period color. If I wanted it, I would inspect the engine, and negotiate.
    "...have fun with the 3.8..."

Is that engine prone to problems? As tjc78 said I would prefer the 4.6 in a car like that. Neither seems like a hot rod motor since even the V-8 back then only had around 200hp.

3.8L Fords are very prone to head gasket problems. By 1996 it was less of an issue, because Ford changed the gasket material I believe. It has to do with an iron block and aluminum heads.

In all honesty the 3.8 is a turd. It had decent torque, but no upper end power and wasn't refined at all.

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,262
    Go to davesinclairbuickgmc.com and search used for pics of my 03 liberty I traded in recently.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,396
    34,000 miles on an '03?! Why do you even own a vehicle? :P
    That is the best 03 Liberty in the USA. Well maintained with abs and side curtain airbags plus Bilstein shocks. CCB disease is a part of my DNA. :shades:
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,396
    That's not a bad thing.... for your vehicles, at least! When I looked at it, I thought, "wait, that's a Liberty?! That looks nice!" :P
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,087
    Looks good. I hate it when manufacturers make safety equipment optional, not many people buy it, and then it's difficult to find a used vehicle with the option. I prefer the styling of the early Liberties like yours with the round headlights.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,287
    this looks like a nice little around-town runabout. And I know right where it is!

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3388270025.html

cute little car. Ambitious price by about 1 zero.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3455288265.html

My goodness, an actual interesting looking option. Wish this was in my town like the first one.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3455265135.html

Am I wrong for actually liking this?

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3403287632.html

interesting for price. and the pics are in front of my duaghter's boyfriend's father's repair shop.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3454658222.html

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

I'd have fun in that runabout, ramming the local CUV population off the road :shades:

The "prestine" Toyota is something - someone trying to recover their investment.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,923
    I like the Volvo wagon, but when the owner says it's in "fair" condition, then it's probably a nightmare..

Unlike the older Volvo, where the owner states, "needs nothing"..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

The last Volvo sedan for the money could be decent.

I like the TA (the color too)

The silver wagon is asking for trouble.

I hope Shifty chimes in to put a real value on that green Toyota. Seems very overpriced.

edited December 2012
    Kaiser---glad to see you have come over to the dark side of Hooptieville where I live. :P

Toyota---considering how those cars rusted that's probably the only one left. Just think you could have bought about 10 of them new for that price.

Volvo---that seller should find out where Mr. Kelly lives since he's paying crazy money.

Pontiac---looks to be good body-wise but I worry how many burn outs were done over those 165,000 miles.

Volvo---174,000 miles? "needs nothing".........yet! :lemon:

.....this is more my idea of a cheap winter car.

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/3456745332.html

He says it has rust but all I can see from the photos is a spot on the passenger's door and maybe the rear passenger's wheel well in front of the tire.

By northeast standards that's pristine.

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    edited December 2012
    Nissan shot themselves in the foot with that car - it hurt more profitable Infiniti J35 sales.

They compared it to Lexus in the ads, but it cannibalized it's big brother because of the similar styling.

Remember the Roy Rogers commercial? Nissan aped Lexus, then Roy's aped Nissan. It was hilarious.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,208
    Huh. A bucket of rust for near $7k? Fantastic idea!

Toyota is awesome.... but, yeah, I did a double take on that price!

'00 volvo looks totally unloved.

that generation firemaro just gives me bad high school flashbacks. no way.

The '98 could be a winner if it checks out. Seems to be half of what people on swedespeed think their cars are worth.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,087
    I always loved the styling of the Infiniti J35. They were never very popular and I can't remember the last time I saw one.
    They had terrible marketing, while Nissan's was good (loved the one with the Z and the Van Halen music where GI Joe steals Barbie from Ken). Look which brand has grown more.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,870
    edited December 2012
    We drove the J when it was first introduced and liked it, but Infiniti dealer was impossible to deal with. Ended up buying a Sterling, of all things.

Beautiful dark grey. Drove and handled really good, and we got it at a great price of around $17,500...but so many electrical glitches it was hard to live with. I remember it was a hot day and the AC quit working before we got home. We turned around and went back to the dealer and it took them about 2 hours to get it working. Traded before warranty was up.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

Just read that Mitsubishi, Suzuki and Volvo are likely to abandon selling cars in the USA. I was surprised with Volvo but it seems their sales and dealer network is pretty dismal. Since no one on this forum buys new, probably not an issue.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,157
    edited December 2012
    Suzuki announced they were pulling out a month or so ago (cars, not bikes). The Mitsu rumor mill keeps saying they will fold, but there's nothing definite there.

This is the first I've heard about Volvo. The Chinese owners just announced a big investment to continue making cars in Sweden so I don't put much stock in that one. (Yahoo). Sales are definitely down though, especially in Europe. Got a link?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

"...just read..."

Every six months or so there's a rumor that Mitsubishi is leaving the US market. So far they haven't but I don't see how they can keep going with only half a line up.

Can't seem to remember where I read it but other than the Asian cars, It's probably just speculation based on poor sales and after Ford cutting them loose.
    Mitsu is down 28% for the year, losing over 20k in sales compared to last year, which itself was a bad year.

I have not seen anything official, but you know how it goes. Management will deny up until the last second, because orphan cars lose value and become hard to sell.

Volvo would surprise me. A little.
    After I bought my LaCrosse, I saw some stats about Buick being the worst selling GM brand. They are trying to get younger buyers and the cars are well put together and have updated looks and performance. There are forums that show some younger folks are LaCrosse fans -- a poor man's BMW 5 -- so geezers like me who could afford a 5, figure they can put the extra 25 to 30k to other uses. The 30-40 year old's with money are not buying Buicks. I don't think they ever will.
    edited December 2012
    The 30-40 year old's with money are not buying Buicks. I don't think they ever will.

I'm 34 and love my LaCrosse. Of course I also have a Grand Marquis and have owned Town Cars and Toyota Avalons, so maybe I just don't count.