Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    Does this mean he would have to change his Edmunds ID to slushguy?

I've been reading with great interest about Edmunds' purchase and ownership of the '96 ES300 as a long term tester.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Get an LS, can't cost much more if it's that age. Or a Gen II GS.
  • breldbreld Posts: 1,309
    edited December 2012
    "ended up with a Prelude"

Cmon breld, show my car some LOVE!

Oh no - that was poorly worded. I definitely made the choice of the Prelude over the Integra and absolutely loved it. It was a '93 Si model - didn't pony up for the "Vtec" or "4WS" model, but felt pretty smug with my 160 hp! :)

Obviously a stock photo, but pretty representative of what I had - though mine was a more "purple" blue. I can admit that now.

2011 BMW 535xi - 2015 GTI - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

Between its seating position and handling, the X1 is definitely more car-like than the X3. In fact, with the X1 available here I am a bit surprised (but very pleased) that they continue to bring the 3-series wagon to the U.S.

I've been looking at used E90 wagons (E91 I guess) and if I found the right one I'd consider getting one. But I'd prefer the steering and feel of the X1 combined with its 4-cyl turbo and 8-speed auto - but no used X1's at this point.

Wife and I looked at and drove this one last week.

'06 325xi wagon, manual sport

It drove nice and seemed to be in good shape. Being "only" the 325 model, it did seem a bit lacking in power, but with the stick shift it was more than adequate. If they ever get down to the $17k's I think I'd consider it more strongly.

Still like the TSX wagon the best for its balance of style and practicality. But lately I'm also noticing more and more used Golf R's out there, which is peaking my interest.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,577
    The 4th Generation ('92 - '96) Preludes were great cars to drive, even the Si. My best friend had a '92 Si Automatic and we both LOVED it.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

I'm not sure, but that seems like an awful lot of money for a 6 year old 3er wagon with a stick.

I can just see the UCM's talking to the owner about their perfect condition, low mileage trade-in. "Your car is in spectacular condition, has low miles, & the right equipment. If it had an Automatic, I could give you $14K for it. The stick absolutely kills it. The best I can do is $12K. Sorry."

Then they turn around & call it a "rare car" in their online ad.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,713
    When I was in high school, I knew a girl who's mother had a 92-93 Si 4WS. It was a darkish blue, maybe like the color mentioned earlier. She was allowed to drive it to school now and then. To a 16 year old in a small town, that car seemed pretty hot.
  • gouldngouldn Posts: 217
    I'm in the same boat. I was done with stick shifts when I turned 33. I spend too much time in traffic, and even where it's wide open, the possibility of traffic always looms large (SF Bay Area). I had an X3 (2007) but dumped it because the ride was too stiff for my taste, so I think I'll probably do the RDX or RX350 next time ... when my Forester hits 200K (198k today).

I always like to have a 2nd car which I swap often, and frankly even that one is probably will be an A/T too. Right now that slot is actually open ... since it's the 2nd car it has a $6K limit.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,325
    Well, I got news for ya... they only paid $12,600 for that car. That's just an absurd asking price. They would be more than tickled to sell that to you for $17k.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

qbrozen - did you happen to read my post? I totally pulled that $12K number out of my rear end! LOL! That's awesome!

Did you say cheaper? Now you are talking my language:) I know there's a long time between now & then, but I like to think out loud on the board here. Massive cargo space really isn't necessary for my daily driver. If I need to pick up some big boxes for work, I can alsways swipe my wife's Pilot from the garage. There are benefits to leaving the house at 6:30 AM before everyone else is up.

A Lexus might be a bit extreme, but I can completely understand NOt wanting to drive stick anymore and wanting to have a little luxury too. After 9 years of driving my Prelude every day, 6 days a week, it was nice to make the switch last year to a car with automatic, leather, climate control, bluetooth. That's why my BMW seems to be the best of both worlds. So many times I'm sitting on a side street in the Bronx waiting for a light to change 3X before I can get through an intersection & say to myself: "Thank God for the automatic transmission."

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Stick shift no iDrive wagon....kills resale but that's just how I'd want one.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,115
    IIRC, the AWD models don't get the sport suspension with the Sport Package, only the wheels and seats. Something to keep in mind.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,458
    Oh, I would love a 3 series still. Perfect compromise. I don't need buick like pillow ride. The RDX is not cushy by any means, nor is the Volvo, but both are quite comfy and nice to drive.

The stick is not a must. But, there is a big problem with shopping the lower price range. Most BMWs are fright pigs. And I am really leery of a high miles AT that I am not familiar with. Much less $ risk with something like a stick Integra.

what I really need is more money to spend. maybe once my son graduates. Hopefully he ends up with a real job then, and I can boot him and one of the cars off the insurance (and out of my wallet!). Then I can have the choice of 2 miley Acuras, or unload them both and get 1 newer car for me.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

I really want an E46 with the sport seats and steering wheel, but standard suspension and 16" wheels. Probably the suspension itself is not that big a deal, and you can always downsize the tires.

as TJC said, around here, you want as much sidewall as you can get.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

$12,600! Good to know. I was just going off NADA guides and figured the trade was more like $15k, so that's why I was thinking perhaps $17k would be a decent deal.

edited December 2012
    yes, i did. good guess. Cars with similar mileage but auto trans are about $2k more, so you were right on both counts.

• akanglakangl Posts: 3,596
    I start college on January 14th, all extra $$$ is going towards that from now on rather than switching cars every 6 months. Not that I would trade my truck in anyway! I have raised 2 wonderful children, one that is special needs, now it's my turn to go to school and have a career.

Guess its a good thing I have a truck I love driving since there won't be a new vehicle in our stable for a long time. I'll be in school for at least 4 years and daughter starts school fall of 2014. Poor hubby is looking at delaying retirement for a little while, he could retire in may.
    I guess that means I spend too much time on the boards;)

• steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,542
    Good for you!

Although you already have the chops to step right in and run a car dealership. :-)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

edited December 2012
    Another ti popped up. Seem to be quite a few of these around. This one is even in my town. I am sure now that I bought one, a slew of great choices will now appear. But oh, that dreaded BMW window problem!

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3492175931.html

Pricey for the miles, but super rare and nice looking.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3454375320.html

another high mileage oddball with a manual trans, but this one a lot cheaper.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3454375320.html

Could revisit the past. Not only did I have one just like this, I think I actually had THIS one! Only because the plate frame is from the Honda dealer where I traded it in, and I know they resold it!

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3475663955.html

Could be a not bad deal.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3425049190.html

another nice looking hi miler, that looks like it just ate the prior owner alive. perfect time to buy!

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3461666813.html

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,461
    Boy, that Scion is an ugly car. No surprise why you'd offload that! :P

I like the 528i, but no mention of transmission, which makes me think it's probably an auto?
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Back in 2000 I was seriously considering an I30. Very nice car, but I just preferred the Avalon at the time.

The I was also a little more expensive, due to the crazy way Infiniti bundled the options.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• ronsteveronsteve Posts: 435
    edited December 2012
    Could revisit the past. Not only did I have one just like this, I think I actually had THIS one! Only because the plate frame is from the Honda dealer where I traded it in, and I know they resold it!

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3475663955.html

That Scion is no thing of beauty, but a hatchback with 3 pedals and a hole in the roof is a good way to get my attention. But I'm not in Jersey. And the Volvo just got new shoes.
    99% of them were AT, so good bet. It would say in the ad if it was a stick.

and the Scion is not that bad in person. Main reason I got rid of it was because at the time the 2 door/small back seat concept was not working (2 kids being toted around at the time). Now, just me, so not an issue.

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,713
    Silver 00 528 rubs me the wrong way - mileage is "on engine", dent in door, ad seems a little off.
    It was around 2001 I tried an I30 on. Agree, nice car, but wasn't my style at the time. Too soft. The CL I drove that same day was much more my thing. Would have bought it had the numbers worked out. I did wind up with the S70 T5 that go around, so it worked out for the best.

• Our ML320TDI was totaled in Hurricane Sandy (flooded). Our insurance paid approximate retail value of the car (~$38K). We rarely drive the car -- maybe 25 times per year for 2,500 miles -- so we are unsure whether we should lease or buy a new or used car. (We owned the car prior to moving to NYC.) We have a young daughter so having a car makes going to see friends outside NYC easy. Whether it makes sense or not, we are going to get another car.

Any thoughts are appreciated.