Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    I thought the base cooper was a 3 cylinder? Am I just out to lunch?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    stickguy said:

I thought the base cooper was a 3 cylinder? Am I just out to lunch?

Depends. There's a 3 cylinder 1.5L turbo UND a 2.0L 4 cylinder turbo.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,321
    If that was a three cylinder, then I'm even more impressed with the car I drove. Never even occurred to me it would have been a 3 cylinder it was so peppy. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    I drove a base 2015 Cooper four door with a manual and really liked it. If I hadn't been one and done with FWD, had more faith in the car's long term durability, and had a dealer that inspired even a little bit of confidence I just might have bought one.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,495
    Hmmm . . .faint praise indeed.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    edited April 2016
    I have been reading the long term Mini tests from Automobile and Car and Driver where they complain of numerous rattles as well as trim coming adrift. It makes me reluctant to commit to one as a long term ownership proposition...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,321
    The one I drove had less than 100 miles. Since it's a car share service, I'm curious to see how it holds up to the wear and tear. I'll take one for a spin in another few weeks and report back. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    I think MINIs are like creatures born in the wild. If they survive the first year or so, they're good to go for a while.

I don't know about newer BMW products, but in the late 90s and early 2000s, you'd best have a good supply of superglue and 3M weatherstrip adhesive.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,697
    Just got back from taking the wife's "new-to-us" MINI for routine service. At 20k miles, I thought I was just going for an oil change, but it was that, a brake fluid flush and replace, and a cabin air filter replacement. I really should have just declined the air filter and done it myself, but since I was there...

And apparently it needs two new tires in the rear (which I figured when we bought it - they were mismatched) and probably brake pads next time around.

Sheesh!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    "Next time around"

Ha!  Good one @breld

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

So what did you trade it in on?

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,979
    Geez, that seems like a lot of stuff at 20K miles.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    Read those articles also and am a bit leery of Mini also...get the feeling it's got a worse reliability reputation than VW does but, do like the size and it does have that "cool and fun factor". Will have to go drive one one day soon and see how it compares to my Golf. At almost 17K on the clock, nothing interesting to report. Figure I'll go in for my 20K service around 19.4K or so, maybe a bit sooner. Glad I rotate every 5K because the tires look like new and car rides smoothly at all "legal" speeds. Getting my detail guy over at the end of the month to take care of three of the fleet as the wife and one kid will be on a "after tax season" cruise for a few days so I'll have access to them. Been a bit lax on this front but they all look pretty good considering. The Accent will get done once the middle kid moves home in July as it needs a clay bar to bring it back to life.
    Just like a home, having multiple vehicles in one's fleet takes upkeep and that upkeep costs a bit!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

I was out looking at cars today. Drove a 2012 Mini Cooper (not an S) and it was pleasant enough but really didn't have the passing power I wanted. Also the "like new" was a stretch--rear tires were worn, front grill loose, engine had a kind of tappety-tap that raised an eyebrow but might be ok. PASS

Then went to look at a 2011 Mini Clubman S turbo, with sunroof and "six speed transmission" and yes, ONCE AGAIN, I fell for it---it was actually an automatic. Do dealers hire data input interns from the local Montessori pre-school?Nice car, though. Had it been a manual transmission I probably would have bought it right then and there.

Then I went to look at a 2006 Porsche Cayman S--I walked up to it, walked around it, opened the door, looked inside, took a sniff or two, and got right back in my car. The car broadcast "neglect".

Thankfully all these cars are close together. :@

I do like Caymans, though. Brilliant car. Just a touch slower than a 996 (in the "S" form), two trunks (996 has one) and a hatchback (996 only has storage on the dinky rear seats). Decent legroom, too--more than the Boxster it seems.

All in all, 0-3 at the plate today.

I also saw a 2002 Porsche 996 Targa, low miles, (32,000) pristine car, but alas, out of the range of my bat at $30K asking. That's a bold price.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    While I was perusing the used car ads (just looking, of course), this one caught my eye.

https://white-allen.porschedealer.com/certified/preowned/Porsche/911+GT3/2011/Black/black/1222737/info.php

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

nice little grocery getter. wonder what that baby cost new?

stickguy said:

nice little grocery getter. wonder what that baby cost new?

Not sure, but I think around $180-$190K?

I don't follow the market for that model, but if I guessed, I would have guessed higher than what they are asking.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

A real manual trans. Must be rare. Mr. Shiftright should jump on that one.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 239,519
    I had a little extra time yesterday after meeting with my outplacement coach and decided to stop by the local Toyota / Scion dealer and check out the iA (yes @iluvmysephia1 you spurned me on to do this!).

Cute little thing, despite the, um, "interesting" characteristics of the grille. Fortunately, I'll be inside so I won't see it.

First thing, I actually fit inside. Getting in and out isn't as bad as I thought it might be - I don't bang my head on the door frame. Once inside, it's a bit snug - obviously smaller than my E-GT - but not cramped. I'd have to get the dealer installed armrest.

All the controls are easy to find and I'm starting to not mind the "iPad stuck on the dash" display. There is an iDrive type controller similar to what's found in other Mazdas (remember, the iA is really a Mazda 2 with Scion badges stuck on it).

Standard push button start and rear view camera are nice features. The one comfort it lacks are heated seats - nice for Colorado winters but I've lived without them on my DD until the E-GT, so I suppose I could go without. Besides, the interior is so small I don't think it would take long to get the inside warm.

Also, no Sirius/XM radio - it does have Pandora and other music app connectivity, so I could use my phone as a music source. Bluetooth for phone, USB and aux ports, plus an SD slot for the optional navigation system.

I didn't test drive it - not enough time - but with only 106 HP, I suspect you'd have to flog it pretty hard.

The one I sat in was an automatic. MPG was set at 30-something city and low 40's on the highway. Asking price was $15,7xx, so a pretty decent amount of value for the money.

The lease on the E-GT is up in 7 months; got an email from Hyundai Finance reminding me and encouraging me to stop by my local Hyundai dealer to see if there is anything there that interests me.

They are already offering pretty killer deals on the new 2017 Elantra - $21K or so for the Limited trim level.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Elantra is nice. I'll consider that next year. They just need to up the content. I forget exactly what, but there were a couple of key items even a limited was missing. I gave it in my head at least one was a deal breaker, but that could change by time the 2018s are out,

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited April 2016
    I didn't test drive it - not enough time - but with only 106 HP, I suspect you'd have to flog it pretty hard.

Well, now, at least one guy I know has taken his to the track and the 2016 Scion iA moved very well. It only weighs 2,385 lbs. Estimated 0-60 time is 8.5 seconds - strikingly similar to my 2011 Kia Soul 5-speed. Nice that you've sat in one now. More than I've done - you've got a lot of cars available in a city like Denver!

What's your opinion of the iA interior materials. Said to be decent to the touch but nothing that special, of course. Some stitching on the horizontal dash line looks cool. I like it - I'd have to get my music from connecting my Android up - I'd find something, although the iA doesn't have Android Auto it does have Pandora and others. It's either holding what I've got and enjoying it or trading for a stick iA or trading for a new stick Soul.

Share some more on the iA if anything else comes to mind and of course if you test drive and thanks for sharing!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

edited April 2016
    Hey, check this YouTube video out. This guy (OK he's a Scion iA site "regular") took his iA to the Autocross in Atlanta and videod it from inside. A must-see if you're even remotely interested in the car. His is the 6-spd. stick.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_14604723374609&key=e89bea4f32366f002e51df71de00e1a3&libId=imxjijeu01010ur0000DAl3mtawbq&loc=http://www.scioniaforum.com/forum/14-2016-scion-ia-videos/2585-scion-ia-first-autocross.html&v=1&out=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPXvWbD6sZY&ref=http://www.scioniaforum.com/forum/14-2016-scion-ia-videos/&title=Scion iA - First Autocross! - Scion IA Forum&txt=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPXvWbD6sZY

A few quotes follow from him.

"So I signed the iA up for the first Autocross of the season here in Atlanta. It's not my normal region (Im a member of Chattanooga region), but I had a blast today and was pleasantly surprised at how good the iA did! (However, i was a bit flustered on this run, due to JUST missing my goal of getting into the 47 second range from messing up a slolam at the end - you can hear the sigh at the end).

The only modifications on my car is upgraded tires (195/55/16 Bridgestone Potenza 760REs) and a "still in prototype" OVTuning tune. While I could have used some stickier tires, the higher redline of the tune really helped out. Point is: This car is a lot of fun without many mods - so go have fun with it!!!"

Point taken, Mr. Speed Racer! B)

I didn't find the interior materials offensive. Some sort of pseudo leather on the steering wheel which I found to be nicer than on my E-GT. Ergonomics seemed to be decent as well. Have to get used to the mouse thingy between the seats but I suspect it wouldn't take long. 

I do like the two tone seat colors. Black on the bolsters and blue on the seating surfaces. The car I sat in was red on the outside which I felt clashed horribly. If I were to do this I'd go for the "Abyss" color, which is a dark blue. 

I hadnt realized it was so light - perhaps the perceived HP deficiency isn't as bad as I think. Would have to test drive, of course. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

edited April 2016
    Have to get used to the mouse thingy between the seats but I suspect it wouldn't take long.
    Yes, that is to help us keep our eyes on the road better. Kind of stoked ta try it. The 7" screen will be great for entertainment - I would try to upload as much as I could off my Motorola Moto e Android. Or signup for Pandora. The music part would be a learning curve a bit for me - I'm still using CD's - but it would be a labor of love as music is very, very dear to me. I'm hearing the power chords to 'The Zoo' from the Scorpions right now (in my head)!

106 hp 103 lb./ft. of torque, it's only 2,385 lbs. so this ratio works. The car is said to "not drive slow." Sweet.

edited April 2016
    As Scion’s first sedan, the 2016 iA promises to be a great value in its segment, offering a standard seven-inch touchscreen, rearview camera, two USB ports, and low-speed pre-collision safety system. Navigation is available as a dealer-installed accessory along with a host of other extras that enable buyers to customize their iA according to their liking. For those looking to use the car to carry cargo, the iA comes standard with a 60/40 split-folding rear seats to expand the trunk. The standard infotainment system—which is a decontented version of Mazda Connect—also has some smartphone app capability, allowing owners to stream internet radio stations such as Pandora, Aha, and Stitcher via Bluetooth.

Since it’s essentially a Mazda2 sedan with a different front end, expect driving dynamics to be a strong point in the 2016 iA. A chassis setup featuring multilink front and torsion-beam rear suspensions along with a more rigid body ensures that the car is agile and easy to maneuver in small, tight spaces. Additionally, the Mazda Skyactiv underpinnings ensure a lightweight vehicle, with a listed curb weight of 2,385 pounds with the manual and 2,416 pounds with the automatic.~Motor Trend

More - more - more to brainwash you all.

2016 Scion iA Stealth

Have to get used to the mouse thingy between the seats but I suspect it wouldn't take long.
    Yes, that is to help us keep our eyes on the road better. Kind of stoked ta try it. The 7" screen will be great for entertainment - I would try to upload as much as I could off my Motorola Moto e Android. Or signup for Pandora. The music part would be a learning curve a bit for me - I'm still using CD's - but it would be a labor of love as music is very, very dear to me. I'm hearing the power chords to 'The Zoo' from the Scorpions right now (in my head)!

106 hp 103 lb./ft. of torque, it's only 2,385 lbs. so this ratio works. The car is said to "not drive slow." Sweet.

It's gonna be buzzy at freeway speeds with those numbers.
    Buzzy yet not shaky. I'll check with current owners. Haven't heard a reviewer mention buzzy, so far.

Well with 106 HP it has to be geared low to get out of its own way, so at 60 mph it's going to be cranking north of 3000 rpm. It's the same basic config as the Scion xA and that is no freeway cruiser. You may not feel the rpm, but you'll hear it.

It's gonna be buzzy at freeway speeds with those numbers.
    Exactly the problem I might have, depending on what my job situation turns into. Almost certain there will be some sort of commute involved. What I don't know is how far and whether there will be highways involved.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Don't get me wrong. The original Scion xA was a brilliant little car (the original compact crossover, almost?), but after an hour or so, hearing that little engine wound up so tight could be annoying unless you throttled down. Depends on where you live. In California, driving 60 mph is suicidally slow.

All I'm saying here is that if you are looking at a car with 106 HP, no matter what it is, be sure to take it out for a good long freeway spin at 65+, radio off, windows up, nobody talking--and picture yourself doing this for an hour or more. See how that feels.

It might be fine.
    But that is not reality.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    175 horsepower in my Legacy is Adequate.  No way I'd hop into a 106 horsepower Scion as a DD

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

You can do like Steve, and get used blades. ;)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2016
    May have to do that - it's actually sprinkling here today. Guess that'll be front page news tomorrow.

Thinking we sat in a Mazda2 but I may be confusing it with something else. Something of that size felt more cramped that the HR-V we test drove.
    Don't get me wrong. The original Scion xA was a brilliant little car (the original compact crossover, almost?), but after an hour or so, hearing that little engine wound up so tight could be annoying unless you throttled down. Depends on where you live. In California, driving 60 mph is suicidally slow. All I'm saying here is that if you are looking at a car with 106 HP, no matter what it is, be sure to take it out for a good long freeway spin at 65+, radio off, windows up, nobody talking--and picture yourself doing this for an hour or more. See how that feels. It might be fine.
    The handful of times that I took my daughters first mini to the dealership (118HP, 6-speed auto) convinced me that it would be a terrible DD for me. 

When the time comes, I'll do as shifty suggests and see if I can tolerate it. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

stickguy said:

I think that's the only way the GT3 is equipped. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    houdini1 said:

Be careful Steve. A guy I knew who grew up out your way said he was 18 before he ever saw rain. When the first drop hit him, he was so shocked that he fainted. They had to throw a bucket of dust in his face to bring him around.

LOL

Imagine how he'd react to snow.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited April 2016
    We have a pair of snowshoes in the closet getting pretty dusty. Can't part with them though - my wife "wove" them. Coming down pretty good here now though. Isn't this the kind of weather where you can get a great car deal?

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

It mentioned in the ad I think that it was the last year the stick was available. And I think shows it on options list.

stickguy said:

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

It mentioned in the ad I think that it was the last year the stick was available. And I think shows it on options list.
    That's about an hour away from me.... Now, if I can just scrounge up another $100K..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,229
    I think the XF needs new wiper blades. Do I waste $20 or is it time for a new car? ;)
    Well, don't do what I did. Replaced all three wiper blades on the Yukon and traded it in a few weeks later on a car which also needed new wiper blades.  :p
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,920
    corvette said:

I think the XF needs new wiper blades. Do I waste $20 or is it time for a new car? ;)

Well, don't do what I did. Replaced all three wiper blades on the Yukon and traded it in a few weeks later on a car which also needed new wiper blades.  :p

I generally do worse and trade my car only after I've had it fully serviced and expensive new tires put on it. Needless to say I hadn't planned on trading when I spent the money on maintaining the car, but the fever got me, next I knew I was in a new ride. That makes me a certified CCBA, right? :)

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

corvette said:

I generally do worse and trade my car only after I've had it fully serviced and expensive new tires put on it. Needless to say I hadn't planned on trading when I spent the money on maintaining the car, but the fever got me, next I knew I was in a new ride. That makes me a certified CCBA, right? :)

We've traded several cars in within months of putting new tires on it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

The tires on the Quest were worth more than the rest of the van when we sold it up in the UP. :)
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    breld said:

Just got back from taking the wife's "new-to-us" MINI for routine service. At 20k miles, I thought I was just going for an oil change, but it was that, a brake fluid flush and replace, and a cabin air filter replacement. I really should have just declined the air filter and done it myself, but since I was there...

And apparently it needs two new tires in the rear (which I figured when we bought it - they were mismatched) and probably brake pads next time around.

Sheesh!

They're talking new brake pads... at 20K?! Wow.

I had to replace the rear pads on my wife's 2010 Forester last fall. That was about 88K and I was scratching my head as to why they wore so fast! The fronts, at close to 95,000 miles, are about half.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,724
    edited April 2016

Well with 106 HP it has to be geared low to get out of its own way, so at 60 mph it's going to be cranking north of 3000 rpm. It's the same basic config as the Scion xA and that is no freeway cruiser. You may not feel the rpm, but you'll hear it.

Adopt the Dodge Neon model, which weighed about the same at 2,300 lbs, but they put a big honking 2.0 that put out a peppy 132 horses! :) Of course, if you follow that model it comes with bad head gaskets, a self-destructing AC system, and a slip-prone 3-speed auto that did carry pretty high RPM's (but not 3K at 60 MPH bad thanks to the high for the time for the price horsepower. The tarted up 150 HP dual OH cam models were probably quite fun to drive when they ran.

Our 2007 Honda Civic adopted some of those ideas, but with higher reliability and 140 HP.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,724
    Michaell said:

sda said:

corvette said:

One of the first things a used car manager looks at is the tires. If they have to replace them, rest assured there offer will be adjusted downward.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    andres3 said:

Michaell said:

sda said:

corvette said:

One of the first things a used car manager looks at is the tires. If they have to replace them, rest assured there offer will be adjusted downward.

When we traded in the CX-7 for the Outback last year, the Subaru dealer initially offered $10,500. I pulled out the CarMax offer from earlier that morning that showed $12,500. Subaru dealer immediately matched that offer.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator