Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,704
    Right.

Funny. I went to check out the volt deal just now... front page of site says $329, but when I go into the offers page, it tells me $299.

Anyway, even at the better numbers, Volt is $100 more per month, 12-month longer term, and $420 more due at signing.

ALSO, if one does happen to go over, Chevy is charging 25 cents per mile on the Volt vs 15 cents on the Leaf.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,454
    The one big thing the Volt has over the Leaf is " no range anxiety." An all electric would be fine for me being retired. 90% of our driving is less than 20 miles roundtrip. Good luck with the Leaf --- should be a gas.
    Kinda bored, so just surfing BMWs on craigs.

Not a bad looking e30. Is it really an is though? My 325is had the sport seats. This obviously doesn't.

A later 4-banger.

could i get crappier pics to look at? please?

I swore I'd never buy another car in need of rust repair, but this is intriguing nonetheless

mystery miles

• tommister2tommister2 Mechanicsville, VAPosts: 150
    That's nice, thanks for the info. Maybe I'm thinking of the Mini-E, or maybe I just made that requirement up in my head.

So if your commute isn't too big, and you can charge at work, a standard outlet might do fine at home. Although I think I would want the higher power outlet, just to be safe :)
    1994 Jeep Wrangler, 1997 Jeep Wrangler, 2011 Toyota Camry, 2012 Honda Pilot, 2013 Toyota Tundra, 2014 Mustang GT

bring a trailer is a fun site to find some interesting things.

Over $6k for a 240? yikes.

• fintailfintail Posts: 34,353
    I didn't pull the trigger or anything...but looked at bikes, and am eyeing a Monster 696 ABS demo, or a leftover 12 796 ABS. I just really like how they feel, might take a test ride next week, and if I like it, I'll probably buy. Out of my initial price range, but I guess you only live once. The local dealer still doesn't have a Ninja 300 ABS (small, but I kind of like them), and the 650 is approaching Monster money. I'm itching.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,653
    Out of my initial price range, but I guess you only live once.

True and if buying a less expensive bike initially only to decide to buy a nicer bike in a few years likely would cost more in the end. IMO, it's better to buy what you really want and will likely keep longer.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    A journalist would like to speak to car/truck shoppers who are looking for vehicles that don't have new technology - or a minimum of it - such as touchscreens, phone connectivity, joystick-controlled infotainment systems etc. If you are looking to buy a gadget-free car or truck, please send your daytime contact to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at noon PT/3 p.m. ET.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,237
    The one big thing the Volt has over the Leaf is " no range anxiety."

That would be my issue... "Oh, I ran out of juice.. honey, could you bring me a 5-gallon can of electricity?"

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

All 1991 318 coupes are iS models.... but, those are definitely not the stock seats...

I love the Volvo, and it might be the nicest one in existence, but it would have to be your dream car to pay that much...

edited January 2013
    The bikes I really like are too powerful for someone with my experience - I am not one of those with 100 miles of riding experience who buys a 150+hp bike. I want to work my way up to something crazier, but I don't want something so small that I get tired of it, or am not comfortable, as I am taller than average. The Ducati just feels special, guess I am falling for the hype. Maybe soon I will have something. They might be willing to deal too, I mentioned I wanted a new helmet, and the salesman said "we could work that in with the bike".

I was toying with the idea of risking my life less, and maybe upgrading the car instead - but driving in the E55 today had it feeling so smooth and fast, that I felt stupid even considering another car (especially as it would be financed).
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Toss a generator in the trunk! :D
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,653
    The bikes I really like are too powerful for someone with my experience - I am not one of those with 100 miles of riding experience who buys a 150+hp bike. I want to work my way up to something crazier, but I don't want something so small that I get tired of it, or am not comfortable, as I am taller than average. The Ducati just feels special, guess I am falling for the hype.

No, I wouldn't expect you to just go balls out crazy and light your hair on fire with a Kawasaki ZX 14 or something similar as a first bike.

OTOH, I think something like the Monster you are interested might be the way to go versus just getting a starter bike for the sake of just getting a bike. Sure, you'll like it at first, but you'll soon be looking for something else. The Monster would likely be something that will satisfy you for a long time w/o getting you in trouble. Well, you can get in trouble with a scooter, but you know what I mean.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,678
    I like the Princeton 328i. But yeah, mystery miles = a whole bunch.

and the '99 323i is a 6 cyl, not a 4. Just their naming convention for the early base model E46s.

The while convert actually looks pretty nice for the money, but new manual transmission is a danger sign.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 8,019
    That E30 seems a bit off to me. I don't think it's an "is". Cheapo hubcaps (wheel covers) & a 1991 with no air bag? That's not the stock steering wheel.

I'm far from the authority on E30s. I did own an E30 325i Coupe. My car was not an "is." My car was a 1990 & had a driver's side air bag.

That E46 323i looks sharp. Sport pkg. original owner. Well kept. Stick;)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

agreed about the 323. I like that one. Interesting set up. Sport seats, but manual adjusters.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

There's still a couple bikes I am thinking about, but the Monster is really in the running. It might be worth the extra price. The bike will be my first vehicle purchase since 2006, so I won't be helping the average here.

I'd eventually like a Streetfighter or a Tuono or maybe a sport BMW, but they are too much powerful for someone without several thousand miles under their belt, and not cheap either.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,903
    edited January 2013
    OTOH, I think something like the Monster you are interested might be the way to go versus just getting a starter bike for the sake of just getting a bike.

Exactly;, I bought my Speed Triple as my first bike(although I also have a bit of dirt bike experience). I think a larger more powerful just makes the learning curve a bit longer. That said, if I was going with a true starter bike, I'd look long and hard at the new Ninja 300 SE with ABS. It's not terribly expensive and you would probably be happy with it for at least a couple of years.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 1975 2002A 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 1999 Wrangler 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2009 328i Son's: 2004 X3 2.5

The little Ninja is on my list. I have sat on the new model, I like the lightness, and it has a slipper clutch. The price is attractive too, and if I buy through costco, I get a $250 gift card. I am also thinking about looking at the new Honda 500 models.
    was talking about cars with my son, and the issue of snow came up (he lives in snow country, on a steep hill), and he could get a ride in bad weather if needed. Mentioned that one roommate has a Land Rover. After some digging, it is a 2004, and "discovery" rang a bell. So, a 2004 disco.

The funny part, was that at random times, parts just fall off. One day, a headlight just popped out and hung on the wires. Owner borrowed duct tape to put it back in. After that the driver's door mirror just fell off, and also hung by the wires. Not sure if that got duct taped back on too.

Though not posing, since it seems the parents are actually loaded, and this was just a family hand me down.

• ronsteveronsteve Posts: 435
    That's one sweet looking wagon!! Not my favorite color and too many wheels driving, but it's got the right number of pedals and that is what's hard to find!

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Duct tape? How 'bout some thread lock?
    I don't know if a Disco makes one look rich, or just insane/stupid/masochistic. The older models have pretty much vanished from the roads now.
  • breldbreld Posts: 1,461
    edited January 2013
    Nice wagon for those of you who want that RWD.

We just had our newly acquired wagon checked out by our mechanic this morning, who gave it an enthusiastic thumbs up. The inspection probably wasn't really needed, but I feel better knowing the mods that had been done were done properly.

And to that point, I actually did a search and found a thread on a BMW forum where the original owner was trying to sell the car (just a couple weeks ago). So the description had all the modifications he made to it (all of which he restored to stock other than the exhaust). I responded to his thread with news of our purchase, and he has since replied to see if I want to buy his winter set of wheels/tires for the car, which I may very well do.

Small online world.

2011 BMW 535xi - 2015 GTI - 2008 A3 - 2015 Sedona

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,225
    The grey 1984 318i with "high miles" looks fantastic for a car that old, other than the wear on the driver's seat.

The spoiler on that 528i is hideous.
    my goodness, that wagon is gorgeous. I would love having that. Though it would be hard to justify right now a really expensive car that was a stick.

other than no heated seats, that one is perfect. And I can live without the bun warmers if that is the only flaw.

we are talking college students here. Suprised they did not try to fix it with beer.