Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    My work garage has 2 charging stations, but they're shared. So far 2 people use them, so they're usually taken.

Thing is, by rule you have the leave the keys in the car, so if you are fully charged up they can have security move your car and charge theirs. So you have to be open to sharing and others possibly moving your car.

The good news is they subsidize it to get some tree hugger Al Gore is your friend green building certification, so cost is about 1/3rd of what you would pay at home.

So q can search for those or hope they're adding to his work garage.
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    I'm mentioning the "LT" because it's a different engine... so if anyone wants to know about the 1.4 l mill, ask away... it's in several of their cars now...

Thanks .. here is the updated punch list:

12/17/12 mark156 2013 Honda CR-V EXL w/ nav
    12/23/12 anon 2013 Honda Accord
    01/08/13 breld 2011 BMW 335xi
    01/11/13 steine13 2013 Chevrolet Cruze LT (lease)
    01/15/13 breld 2010 BMW 328xi wagon
    01/18/13 qbrozen 2013 Nissan Leaf (lease)
    01/19/13 anon 2013 Toyota Sienna (lease)

Anybody want to make a prediction as to how many punches we'll have as a group by the end of the year?

stick, you know you're ready to dump the Integra for something more comfy.

And yes, I am curious about the 1.4T in your Cruze. I did a short test drive of a Sonic sedan with the 1.4T/6-speed manual and thought it was pretty peppy and pretty quiet.

What kind of driving do you do, and what kind of mileage are you seeing?

Wife is interviewing for that new job where she will be doing more driving, and think that a low cost (or one pay) lease of something like this could make sense.

The alternative is for her to drive the CX-7 (20MPG + 91 octane).
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,274
    Well, you could just figure 7 on the month would extrapolate to 84 on the year. But I'm sure it will slow considerably. I'll say 28.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

I'd go higher, maybe 40 or so.

I say we keep building that list, and only drop off the old ones after the purchase was more than a year ago.

anon- you're the current champ. Which new car has surprised you more?
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,436
    Farmer, it was a 2004 Camry 4 door with a stick shift, and some "mods" (strut tower brace, and other odds and ends, including a giant subwoofer in the trunk).

just and odd combo, and in the ad, the guy practically begged whoever was flagging him to stop doing it. I saw nothing in the ad to justify it, so maybe it was a grudge?

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

Q, exactly why I said it would make plenty of sense for what I use it for, but I did not see it for you.

I would not handle the range anxiety well. I won't let my car go below 1/4 tank (just in case) and leave for the airport 3 hours early (never know when there will be traffic!) So playing battery bar roulette is not for me.

now, driving probably less than 5 miles from my house at most, takes that out of the mix.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

There is a new Leaf driving around town where I live. Sorta Juke-like from the front, more contemporary hatchback everywhere else.

Except no tail-pipe!

Not sure I could do a Leaf for the pizza delivery. Lots of start and stop, and my shifts run anywhere from 2 to 4 hours (or, put another way, 50 to 80-90 miles). A Volt, OTOH, might work pretty well.

But no way am I dropping $30K or more just to deliver food. I'd like to think I can retire from the 2nd job someday.

2013 punches --- 28? 40? Exactly how many of us are there on this board that post regularly? I admit that 7 in 5 weeks is a lot, but it seems like extraordinary circumstances cropped up.

I'm going to be more conservative with my guess and say 15-17 for the year.
    no way am I dropping $30K or more

FWIW, the new base model lowered the price, and with federal $7500 credit and $2000 more here in MD, the base retail price is just $20,250.

And that's before wheeling and dealing.

Not bad - it's cheaper than a Prius or Civic hybrid now.
    I will take 25. I should be good for 2, assuming I can count whatever my son ends up getting (since we likely will help, and he is part of the fleet now!). and I highly doubt I keep what I have now when that happens.

edited January 2013
    just heard from my BIL that his S2000 is going to be available in a couple months. Whatever the first year was (he got one of the very fist in the country). If you want one, this is it. Low miles, babied, never seen rain. Like new, completely stock.

I will pass, for a few reasons ($$ of course, and frankly it is a bit tight for me!). Mostly $$.

Not sure yet what he is getting instead (he has been fixated on Porsche turbos and Cobra kit cars recently). I asked if he bought something at B-J (he was just there for the auction) and he said sort of, not exactly.

turns out, he bought a superformance mkIII cobra. already built, with only 540 miles on it. Can't wait to hustle a drive of that!

Wow, nice fleet...
    You don't want to know the rest of it...

I've updated my master tracking document to include the guesses from each of us.

12/17/12 mark156 2013 Honda CR-V EXL w/ nav
    12/23/12 anon 2013 Honda Accord
    01/08/13 breld 2011 BMW 335xi
    01/11/13 steine13 2013 Chevrolet Cruze LT (lease)
    01/15/13 breld 2010 BMW 328xi wagon
    01/18/13 qbrozen 2013 Nissan Leaf (lease)
    01/19/13 anon 2013 Toyota Sienna (lease)

Punch guesses:
    Michaell 15-17
    Stickguy 25
    Qbrozen 28
    Ateixeira 40 (or so)

Also, had a long talk with the wife today about her new job opportunity. She's not keen on having more cars than drivers (right now we're balanced at 3 of each), so it seems that a low cost lease is out.

But, depending on how much she drives and the costs and reimbursements associated with it, I suppose we could revisit the issue!
    You can take off the or so part, I say 40.

If we are at 38 I could buy the last 2 cars myself. What a great excuse to buy cars!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,447
    Someone is test driving the Legend, right now.. :)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,536
    I think we should have a list of calendar year 2012 Punches separate from the calendar year 2013 punches. 3/22/12 I leased a 2011 BMW 328xi.

My prediction is 38 for the year

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

Looks like I have a deal for full asking price! :surprise:

Meeting at the county clerk's office to transfer it on Saturday..

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,108
    Nice! What are you getting to replace it? :P
    Hopefully, nothing.. But, you know that goes. When it's gone, we'll still have three cars for three drivers..

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,405
    Seems nice but that seems pricey. What say you?

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/3531014400.html

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

well, my initial impression was too expensive, but that one does look super nice, and the GT-S is the model too have. Too bad about the AT though...

but, if you want one, that looks like the one to have. maybe you can shave a bit off, but if you want one for 1/2 that price, expect a rat.

"...I can retire from the 2nd job..."

As someone who's had 2 jobs since 1984 I hope you get your wish. So many people aren't willing to work even one job any more. My hat is off to you.

I forget, what car do you use for the delivery job. I was going to suggest to my son a similar job but he drives a Buick LaSabre. His 3.8L can get 30mpg on long trips but local delivery would be less.

edited January 2013
    "...low miled, babied, never seen rain..."

You're singing my song. Is this the guy in Amsterdam? I might be up for a drive.

The S2000 rides like a school bus and I'd have to get in with a shoe horn but that's one heck of a Honda.

at this point, to keep the fleet afloat I might need to be looking for a 2nd job. Really couldn't see being a delivery guy though.

what I really need is a job I can do from home during the day, while I am getting paid to do my "real" job. There is always some down time in there, that I should be able to use more productively than watching episodes of Graveyard Carz and wheeler dealers off the DVR!

the shoehorn part (and pinchy side bolsters) along with the low slung aspect are what put me off it. Well, that and coming up with the $. I did ask if he would do BHPH but he did not bite!

But, yeah, this is in Amsterdam. And he is OCD about cars, so I can guarantee if you want one of these, this one should be high on the list!

silver over the red leather. Probably about 30K on the clock, if that. And "in the wrapper" as the saying goes.

not sure of the price though, but not expecting it to be cheap. And he did give my over BIL (his brother) dibs too. That one said he is interested, but I cant possibly see it working logistically or financially for a bunch of reasons. Plus, he is a big guy, and I am not sure 6'1", at least 240 is going to work too well in that!

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,108
    "what I really need is a job I can do from home during the day, while I am getting paid to do my "real" job."

Just outsource your own job overseas like this guy did.
  • There are 5 Leafs that park in the garage where I leave my C30 across the street from my apartment -- they are there in the morning when I leave for work but gone when I get home at night, so I assume they are commuters either for the express bus to downtown Seattle or for the business district near my apartment.

Either way, I seem to be seeing them all over around Seattle. More hybrids as well, but no surprise there. Like you, Stick, I never let either of the cars in the fleet get below 1/4 of a tank and leave home to get to the airport so I have 2 hours when I get there. The range anxiety thing is not something I'd be willing to deal with.
    I looked up that vehicle here on Edmunds. You said it was the first model year which means it's a 2000MY with 30k miles. In outstanding condition Edmunds say private party is slightly over $7500. That's not a bad price. It actually seems low relatively speaking. I mean people are asking $8k for a 2000 Celica.

I wonder if the electric company would understand me not paying the bill for a few months?

• au1994au1994 Posts: 776
    Put me down for an even 30. I will even contribute one myself. The lease on my 328i coupe is up at the end of the summer so I'll be in the market, but aren't we always??

2013 335i Sport Line Alpine White over Coral Red w/Black Trim

2005 330cic ZHP Monaco Blue over Natural Brown w/Black Trim

• rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,515
    One will be mine.
    - Ray
    Lease up on the BMW
    before year end...