Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• breldbreld Posts: 1,325
    Sounds like a great day Sandy. I'm with you on the Elantra - we had a rental of the new model a couple years ago and I was very impressed. I remember remarking to my wife throughout the trip how much I enjoyed driving it. I recall it being surprisingly peppy, quiet and comfortable. And we hardly used any gas tooling around Austin.

2011 BMW 535xi - 2015 GTI - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,680
    My daughter lived on I Drive right near that place you mentioned...over by the Walgreens and Publix. Her place was called Discovery Palms. It's gone condo but we got her a nice 2 bedroom for a very reasonable price and it's very close to Epcot employee parking. She did her gig back in the Winter/Spring of '09 but still talks about the fun she had working there in the greenhouse...a life experience she'll never forget. And she still loves all things Disney which is why she and the wife return twice a year. I, on the other hand, enjoy the quiet, empty house when the wife is gone.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• breldbreld Posts: 1,325
    Yup - we made use of the Publix and Walgreens a number of times for snacks, cold medicine, pop tarts.... Everything to keep four kids happy. :)

2011 BMW 535xi - 2015 GTI - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

Yes sir...I drove 3 different Elantra's and they were all the same...peppy, quiet and comfortable. Hyundai has taken the Civic goodness from Honda and put it all, and then some, into this new Elantra. The other drivers in my team must also agree as a few of us made beelines to the available Elantras need to be transported. I really feel like I've gone to car heaven here and just wish this was a full time job. Being part time, I only will get called when needed and most times my chief told me he doesn't get much notice at all. He called me at 9:59 for an 11:30 meet at the designated area which takes me a good 1/2 hour to get to...and that's with not much traffic. It will take longer depending on the hour and the accident rate on I-95 and I-595 and trust me, with all the construction still going on, some days I could be in real trouble! A shame that he doesn't know about most jobs the night before. But since I am retired, my schedule is extremely flexible and I can be out of the house within 20 minutes if need be.

This is going to be sooooo cool!!! ;)

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,378
    Good write-up.

I had a 13 Cruze LTZ w/1500 miles as a rental last week. Boring gold color, but it was loaded with push button start, leather, the new touchscreen with apps, etc. I surprisingly liked it a lot; quiet, smooth, comfortable. Seats were decent, heated but manual rake. The little 1.4T seemed torquey enough for the real world, trip computer showed 31 mpg after about 500 miles, but it may have been optimistic, I don't know, and it wasn't broken in obviously. Makes me think a Verano would probably be a pretty nice car.

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

The Verano I sat in was so much more comfortable than the Cruze...great seats. Also drove an Altima today...push button start. Nice ride!

Drove a couple of these today...nice cars, the 2012's, but not a fan of the push button start system. The Captiva had this also as did the Passat. I'm just not a fan of this technology...I guess it's pretty cool but just used to the old regular key system. Granted, I think this is the way tech in cars is going so will get used to it when the time comes but still believe some things should not be changed or messed with. The Quest also had this starting system which once one learns how to use it, it does work as intended. This van is large though and feels bigger than the Caravans I used to pilot at work. But those were the regular models and I suspect the Quest, Sienna and Odyssey are all sized like the current Caravans.

Very curious to drive the brand new 2013 Altima and Sentra...both very attractive rides that are not to far out there.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,637
    I don't really care about the smart key/push button start. I always keep my keys in my pants pocket, and fishing out the fob was 2nd nature.

but my wife loves it, and will never give it up (good thing she is good for another 10 years with her new Acura!). She likes it because her keys get lost in her mess of a pocketbook. And mostly, when I am driving, she does not have to wait for me to open the car (and sometimes the 2nd push didn't catch, and I did not realize right away she was still standing outside, waiting for a door to open!). Now, she walks up, car opens.

that part is fine, but the button can be a pain in the buns. if you don't do things just right (foot on brake to stop engine) it gets all cranky, displays messages, and half the time I end up starting it unintentionally just so I can turn it back off!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    Sandman, congratulations on the new job!!! Getting to drive so many different cars is a blast for sure. I'll be look'n forward to your reviews as I enjoyed the previous ones! :D

Mark156
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,530
    I really appreciate and enjoyed your posts.
    Do please continue - and congrats on the job!
    - Ray
    Not likely to drive any car but mine for a while .....
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,662
    Low mileage E39s are out there. This Oxford Green 530i is just one of them. Looks to be in fantastic shape, under 60K miles, but the color combo is just a killer for me. I'd even consider the Oxford Green (yuck, I'd rather have black which I've sworn off) over Sand (Black is so much easier to keep clean) if it had the Sport Package. Even though these seem to be commanding a high price for a 10 year old car, what else can you buy for $12K?

Powered By Honda2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,813
    New Altima is all over the rental fleets out here, should just be a matter of time before they are everywhere.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,140
    Cool, maybe I'll get some extended seat time in one--I reserved a full size car with Enterprise when I go to Austin in April for the MotoGP race. Probably either that, or a Charger or Taurus. I'm seeing quite a few of the new Altimas on the road.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,575
    A friend has a 2003 525i Touring for sale. Really, REALLY nice. He only wants $6000 for it. Boston Green/Tan, 109k, all options except Navigation. As he describes it:

Recently done: rear-subframe bushings (big [non-permissible content removed] job, probably wasn't
    needed but a bunch of us bought the tool so..), all-around Bilstein
    shocks/struts for the sport suspension about 6,000 miles ago, new sway-bar
    links front and rear, new water pump, new hoses, new radiator, new
    alternator (all in the past 2,000 miles), new oil filter housing gasket
    (PITA job..) and a bunch of other stuff, this is just off the top of my
    head. It's gotten periodic front track-arms (the ones that go bad), and the
    ball joints are all replaced or OK. Did auto-transmission filter/flush at
    around 90k miles. Transmission is smooth and no slipping. Battery is within
    the past year.
    - Brakes were done sometime in the last 10,000 miles.. all BMW parts used.
    - There are no leaks.

About all it needs is the CVS and the VANOS seals replaced.

The owner is a CCA member with perfectionist attitude towards maintenance and repair. He's selling it because he has too many cars(Imagine that!). I'm half tempted to buy it myself...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

touring, as in Wagon? Oh, I love those. Not sure what Boston green is, but I love the color of the one Bradd posted up higher.

Based on this description, if it was local, I would probably be real interested. Not that much more than my Integra, and certainly something I would rather get into a long term relationship with!

Not that I have any clue how big (or expensive) a job the CVS or VANOS seals are.

certainly does sound like the type of car you want, if you are getting a budget BMW.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Best job ever for a car guy? Glad you're having fun!

Passat isn't as nice as the previous one. Everyone else is improving, too.

I liked the Optima minus the clutch (I found a unicorn, a base manual) and the visibility. I suspected the auto would be a better car.

Is the Elantra really that good? I have the GT model with the panoramic moonroof on my short list. I need to drive one, I guess.
    Not that I have any clue how big (or expensive) a job the CVS or VANOS seals are.

The VANOS seals are a relatively easy DIY.

The CCV? Not so much.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108
    What's your job, vehicle transport? Sounds like fun!

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

well, those links certainly scared me off of trying it in the driveway!

I do have a well regarded indy near me. Just ballpark, but if I took that car in and asked them to do both fixes at the same time, about how much would it cost me?

it does seem like a good retirement, part time make some cash get out of the wife's hair job.

until now, I never actually thought about how the rental companies got all these cars re situated.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,860
    edited February 2013
    Next, hook up with an RV company that needs to move motorhomes from Florida to Alaska every Spring and then back again in the fall.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I can't even imagine driving one of those that far. It would take 2 months.

The CCV R&R and the VANOS rebuild should run @$500 each.

not so bad. So a 2003 loaded touring wagon, owned by an OCD CCA member, completely sorted out, for 7K? Works for me!

well, this one could be fun. And might scare the neighbors.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3560508416.html

a nice cheap boat for TJC

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3560169957.html

other than the miles and unknown history, I am in love with this. Pretty sure RB's touring is a smarter bet. But this is really, really close...

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3582297734.html

edited February 2013
    A 525i Touring is certainly no powerhouse, but it would be a very sweet drive with the Sport Package.
    Did I mention that it is located in Spring Lake Heights, NJ???

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I looked at one of those before I got my 2000 Solara. It was a nice car, but can't hide the Taurus roots. It did have plenty of power and rode nice. I know right where they took the picture about a mile from home.

Nice wagon, with a great color combo. Miles are steep!

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,562
    Cop car---get a marked unit if you want to pull over young girls for dates. They might not stop for that one.

Town Car---how did he drive it to Walgreen's with no plates? More important, how would you test drive it?

BMW---looks nice but I'd cringe at paying for any car with 179k miles. Maybe I'm stuck in the mind set of the days when you were lucky to get 100k out of a car.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,217
    Wow... a RWD 325i wagon with Sport package... Nice find!

If it had a stick, I would take a chance on the miles.... I'd want to see evidence of a rebuilt tranny, before buying an automatic with 179K..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• jpp5862jpp5862 NCPosts: 352
    Yep, I've had three so far. Not a bad car, while the cvt is one of the better ones out there I just can't warm up to it. However it drove well enough and returned 36.7 mpg so that's respectable.