Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,865
    Mini---do they really handle as well as they say? Always wanted to drive one and see.

We would probably be a one or two Mini family today if the local dealer hadn't ticked us off...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 1975 2002A 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 1999 Wrangler 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2009 328i Son's: 2004 X3 2.5

• stickguystickguy Posts: 15,666
    I was wondering if he thought it said xdrive on the side? Some chrome there, just can't make it out.

Of course, one of the pictures shows the odo with 22K vs. the 35K the ad says. Maybe they got the wrong pictures to go along with the vin?

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,813
    We all park in a designated meeting area, in the grass behind a post office...I know, not an ideal location, and the van gets us all there. We then proceed to whatever location or airport we need to be at. It's all a very finely played out routine. Except like today, I spoke with my boss, and he said they weren't ready at FLL, Lauderdale, and they had to wait about an hour to get, check, and leave for TPA. That is one of the variables that we can't alter. The other one is traffic, which there is a lot in South Florida right now. Season is in full swing and there are vehicles everywhere...so many lost folks wandering around. But now, I now how they feel when I go to a new location. But the unknown makes things that much more interesting actually...it's nice to know that every trip will not be the same. So all is good. I truly hope that they like my work and I can keep this job for as long as I'd like. I still need quarters to qualify for social security...I was a civil service employee for my whole postal career, so I need to catch up now to be able to get ss when I reach 65. I have some quarters already from summer jobs and a few other ones while in school. And this gig fills in all the boxes for something for me to do since I'm retired. For once...yay me!!!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2015 Audi A3 (wife)/2015 Golf SE (me)/2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1)/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Love reading your stories, keep 'em coming.

Back in college I got a valet parking gig, and it was similar except very short test drives. It wasn't a job to me, more a hobby, LOL.

This late 80s so not the best era for cars, but it was funny how even a 2 minute quick drive was enough to like/dislike a car.
    Absolutely, just a few minutes behind the wheel is plenty to like/dislike any vehicle as one's senses tend to take over almost immediately. That tactile feel of the steering wheel, the switchgear, the feel of the seat fabric/leather...it all is a feast for the senses which affect one's feelings. Luckily, I tend to like the majority of what I get into. I am a slushbox guy all the way...blasphemy I know, but I never felt comfortable rowing my own gears truthfully. So guys, let me have it here on this but that's just me.

I am glad you like my recent posts as I don't want to bore anyone and if anyone gets tired of 'em, just say the word and I'll be silent once more. Just trying to entertain a bit if possible. It's nice to find others who eat, sleep & love the automobile as much as I do. I always knew I'd end up in the automobile area eventually...my maternal grandfather, the best guy in the world who did things my dad should've done with me, once owned a Dodge/Chrysler dealership when I was very young. I remember playing in the store before he sold it when I reached 10...it's in the blood that love for the automobile that has only grown stronger throughout my 58 years on the planet. So when I get too tedious folks...please let me know!

2015 Audi A3 (wife)/2015 Golf SE (me)/2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1)/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,995
    Keep em coming! You know I'm a fan of yours:). I'm really happy for you that you found this job you enjoy.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• fintailfintail Posts: 34,317
    As a rental car follower, I find your experiences very interesting, continue to post whatever cars you might get to drive.

Today I heard the National group is getting 2013 Avalons, and a lot of G37s - probably to clear out the old model.
    Teix, the latest issue of Consumer reports also tested one of these. I think they liked it OK.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

Yes, I like reading of your experiences as well!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 1975 2002A 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 1999 Wrangler 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2009 328i Son's: 2004 X3 2.5

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,133
    Looks like an x-drive emblem on the side. They may have a RWD loaner, but I don't think it's the one in the picture.

Steve: 2 lease payments? I hear that argument for every car repair, like an old car is never going to need another one. Since purchase in September, 2011.

$1000
    $650
    $900
    $800

$3350 in maintenance/repairs on a $4K car, in less than 18 months. That doesn't count the $1450 in collision repair, or the gift of tires/wheels for $900.

After all that the car might be worth $4500, except now it's been wrecked. :(

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Each destination seems to have a different rate so am not really sure the hourly rate. The best I can calculate right now is about $8.50 to $9.00 an hour. Not sure what minimum wage is right now but hopefully it's above that. Only $5.00/week is taken out of the check for insurance purposes, any employment tax is on my dime which is why the wife mentioned all this stuff and what figures I need to write down in my daily planner. The regulars said to get one and put all the information in it and since my union sends me a couple each year, I'm using that. If I had a smart phone I guess I could put the info in that but I have a very plain free ATT phone. Don't plan to upgrade to a smart phone quite yet as the wife and 1 of the kids does already and the bill is quite high...all 5 of us have cells and I pick up the bill for all except the wife's which is a business expense. I guess part of mine can be used thusly now since a texting cell was a job requirement. My car charger just came from Amazon in the mail earlier today. I had won some Swagbucks prize of $10 so I used part of those winnings to pay for it. Another win/win for me.

But seriously, how much I got paid didn't really come into my thought process when I saw the listing on Craigslist. I had applied to a few dozen jobs and only two came in, this one and another driving one but it involved driving someone in their own personal car and mostly nights...seemed a bit out there for my tastes!

"Toyota Spices Up Middle-Aged Corolla to Bolster Profits"

Thanks to a post in this forum, I've been quoted in the above story from the January 30th Bloomberg News. Not sure if I mentioned this before. Didn't sleep to well and it's just about time for me to leave for today's TPA run. Hope I get a fun car with sat radio!

The Sandman :) :shades: :sick:

To each his/her own. My knee may force me in to a slush box next time.

Going to the Auto Show today WOOT!

CMax, Mazda3, Impreza, Focus, TDI all on the must see list. Probably will check out all the new models I haven't seen as well.

Any more fun 5 doors to see?

Plan is go with the fam in the AM, then stay longer and do my own reconnaissance afterwards so I can take my time.

Anyone else @ the DC show today?
    On line link?

Congrats on being famous. :shades:
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,952
    edited February 2013
    Ah, the rest of the story. :sick: We have a discussion for that. :)

I dumped $3,000 in the van in '08 (~120k miles), but nothing but tires and brakes in the 60k since then. It might have been worth $5 or $6k in '08?

Juice, the Bloomberg link quoting Sandy is in #29732 above.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

we were doing the"keeping old car on the road" math last time my son's TL acted up. I guess at 167K you have to expect things to go on occasion.

But, we were able to get it back on the road for not too much money (Battery + alternator) so we dodged the payment bullet. A good thing, since he is in his last semester at college, and we have no idea what happens after that (hopefully a job, but when/where/what it pays remain to be seen!)

Plus, where he parks behind his house is no place I would want a brand new car, and schlepping around campus is not the best way to keep it pristine.

anyway, a year ago, he was all about saving money and keeping it as long as possible when he started working. Now, he has a serious case of CCB, and none of us want to see him try to push this car, especially if he moves away or has a longer commute. Much different to have a dead car when you can walk to campus than when you have to have one to get to work.

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,220
    My E39 has cost more than that in 12 months. Partly due to deferred maintenance and half-baked repairs by the previous owner, but even without that, a German car with no warranty is expensive to keep running. It's great to drive, but I could make the payments on a fully loaded GTI or GLI for what I'm spending keeping the E39 in good working order. Am I crazy? (Wait, don't answer that...) :surprise:
    This is off topic, but if your AT&T phone is out of contract, you can switch to Straight Talk wireless and probably save some money. $45/month for unlimited talk, data, and texting; less than that if you prepay a year in advance (no, I don't work for them, but switched several months ago and have no complaints).
    Our E30 has less than 10K miles in that time.. It's breaking me..

Here is the '06 Jetta we are looking at.. seems like a low price... .has a good Carfax, as well..

2.8 liter V6? Not exactly. But it looks nice. And I am sort of thinking about a GTI or GLI.

The 540i has averaged around $500/month in maintenance and repairs, or $1 per mile. Some of those, I've done the labor myself.
    The red Jetta is a GLI.. 2.0 litre turbo...

Basically the same car as a GTI, but in sedan form....

I could've sworn the ad claimed it was a V6. They did away with the VR6 in the Golf/Jetta in that generation. It was a sweet, smooth engine (I used to own one).

The 2.0T is a nice engine, too. It feels more powerful than the hp/torque numbers suggest.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,143
    it looks like that posting has been deleted, so I can't see it. Which generation FWD Continental was it? I didn't like the first one, which looked way too diminutive to me, and actually reminded me a bit of a Plymouth Acclaim or Dodge Spirit, in its slightly-rounded off boxiness.

I liked the 2nd-gen FWD Continental though, the one that had the V-8. Still came off a bit Taurus-ish, but I think it hid those roots a bit better.

In a weird sort of way, I'm starting to like the c'82-87 Continental, the one based on the Fairmont. I saw a really nice one a few months ago at a local car show. IMO, they lack the presence of something like a Bustleback Seville, or an '81-83 Imperial, and it's obvious what they're based on. At least, an Imperial doesn't scream "76 Volare." But, it looked like a very well-built car, and the interior was really nice. And, I think one thing I liked about it was that it's something you hardly ever see anymore. Those bustleback Sevilles and Imperials pop up more often than you'd think, given the malaise era unto which they were born. But, other than this car show, I can't remember the last time I saw one of those Continentals.
    edited February 2013
    Was hoping to feel inspired to buy but left a little disappointed. It was impossible to find a car all 4 of us liked.

Encore is as small as you think it is and not as comfy as other Buicks. I preferred the Verano. Wasn't really on my short list anyway.

Chevy Spark is a fun car for teenagers, down to the lime green bottle holders in the door. Not for me.

Dart was really disappointing, you have to duck to get in, and it had lumpy seats - not one of the 4 of us felt comfortable. No hatch anyway.

Tried a Fusion but the footwell was narrow and I just didn't "fit" right. Bummer.

Had high hopes for the C-Max, but the moonroof is small and too far back and the rear seats are hard and thinly padded. You can squeeze the whole bottom cushion with one hand. So disappointing! This is a family vehicle and the family wasn't comfortable. Bummer.

Ford was right next to Toyota so we did a hybrid comparo of sorts.

Prius got a similarly cold reaction.

The Prius V was a hit, though. The windows are huge, the inside is airy and spacious. There's room for both kids and the dog, comfortably. It is bigger than I need, though. More $, more gas, harder to park.

The family seemed to prefer the Prius C over the original one, too. I don't like the tiny 9.5 gallon tank. The C-max will go much farther per tank, I just wish someone besides me liked it.

The 500 didn't pass the back seat test. Same for the Veloster, my 13 year old daughter plays center (bball) and it is about 4 inches short on head room for her.

Kia Soul has a small moonroof and comfort isn't up to some others I checked out.

Lexus CT we all liked but it is small and pricey. I think the Prius C has more space.

BMW X1 is not for tall people, my daughter said, seats are hard as well.

Impreza XV is the Goldilocks in size, roomy back seat but small outside. A little pricey loaded up, but a Sport model is still on my short list, especially since I already liked a sedan I test drove. Nav screen is only 6.1" and moonroof is small.

Mazda3 was my bargain option but I couldn't get the fam to warm up to it. Now I'm wondering if I'd be bored with it and be back here wanting to trade again. Nav screen and moonroof both small, too.

TDI seats felt a little confined, and the design seems old to me. Not good when I know it is by far more expensive than the others I'm shopping. Would wait for the new, lighter one coming soon.

Hyundai Elantra GT - they only had a base model, can you believe it? So could not sample the panoramic moonroof or the big-for-its-class 7" Nav screen. Bummer!

However I was relieved that everyone was comfortable. It is bigger than it looks, I thought we'd be tight, but no.

So now I have to process all this and maybe pay a visit to a Hyundai dealer to check out a loaded up GT.
  • breldbreld Posts: 1,445
    Taking advantage of the great weather today here in Denver and getting the cars washed. I even washed the Ody, but it's not exactly featured here :) . And the 530i is at the work garage. And the Beetle - well, that's at the body shop after the hit and run - "Paint by Krusty" (it was recommended by our mechanic).

A neighbor was walking by as I was doing all this and she remarked, "More new cars?". Uh, yeah.

2011 BMW 535xi - 2015 GTI - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

Nice. My cars have that white layer of filth from all the road spray.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,808
    "...employment tax is on my dime..."

Ouch! As a self employed person you pay both portions so that's close to 15% right off the top. That's the tax that breaks my heart when I do my taxes. Lucky you have a CPA available to get you all those double, secret handshake tax deductions. Kind of like having a dealer friend to sell you a car.

As to your question about getting sick of your posts, just remember they haven't thrown me out of here yet with all the dumb things I come up with. You've got nothing to worry about. ;)

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

"That's the tax that breaks my heart when I do my taxes."

I hear you. I pay more self employment tax than I do income tax.
    what is the self employment tax? basically just both halves of SS? Do you still get that after being self employed?

Flip side though, unlike us corporate stiffs, you can deduct all your expenses, so it must even out somewhat.

Nice. My cars have that white layer of filth from all the road spray.

Ditto... :mad: